move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Megahorn / Iron Head
ability: Overcoat
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
nature: Careful

Moves
========

• Rest provides recovery for Escavalier and puts it to sleep for two turns after.
  • Sleep Talk has good synergy with Rest and allows Escavalier to use a move during sleep.
  • Swords Dance allows Escavalier to boost its Attack stat to immense levels.
  • Megahorn can be used in the last slot to hit Psychic-types with Calm Mind, Cresselia and Mega Sceptile better, though is a bit less accurate than Iron Head.
  • Iron Head is another viable option in the last moveslot which has decent neutral coverage overall and gets a STAB boost, and helps Escavalier beat Gligar and Dragalge more easily.
Set Details
========

• Overcoat allows Escavalier to avoid powder-moves such as Amoonguss's Spore.
  • Leftovers grant Escavalier passive recovery, giving a small boost to its longevity.
  • The investment in HP gives a boost to Escavalier's bulk and the Special Defense EVs boost its bulk even further
  • A Careful nature backs up the Special Defense EVs, letting Escavalier take hits even better.

Usage Tips
========

• Escavalier can be switched into Fairy-types to wall most of them, except for a +6 Slurpuff, which 2HKOes Escavalier with Drain Punch.
  • Escavalier can also be switched into several special attackers such as Dragalge and Mega Sceptile, as it can wall them and beat them, though it has to scout for Dragalge's Hidden Power Fire.
  • Rest up when you're getting at low health.
  • Use Sleep Talk after Rest. However, use this two turns only; Rest only puts you to sleep for 2 turns, and Sleep Talk won't have effect the third turn.
  • If Escavalier has an opportunity to, set up a Swords Dance; this will give a huge boost to its offensive presence.
  • Try to avoid Taunt, as it will shut down Escavalier, leaving it only with a STAB option.

Team Options
========

• Pokemon that beat threatening Fire-types, such as Gastrodon, Jellicent and Slowking, are solid teammates.
  • Physically defensive Pokemon such as Alomomola and Rhyperior are good teammates as they appreciate Escavalier beat certain special attackers.
  • Pokemon that beat Taunt users such as Gligar and Whimsicott make good partners. Examples of these Pokemon include Mega Glalie and Mega Abomasnow.

Last edited:
Small question regarding the EVs / nature; Should I run max Defense/SpD which gives Escavalier an easier time to set up, or should I keep it like this for it to hit as hard as possible?

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
make the EV spread specially defensive, that's sort of the point of the set e.e

have you used this before?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Megahorn can miss and is easily pp stalled, although I guess with sleep talk that could be alleviated a bit.. still.
That's true, but I really agree with what bouffalant said in the teambuilding competition:
"Iron Head can be used over Sleep Talk, but the Fairy-types you hit with it can't take repeated boosted Megahorns, anyway."

That's true, but I really agree with what bouffalant said in the teambuilding competition:
"Iron Head can be used over Sleep Talk, but the Fairy-types you hit with it can't take repeated boosted Megahorns, anyway."
Yeah I thought about Megahorn too, but I didn't slash it because inaccurate and then you fail to hit stuff like Gligar, Dragalge, etc. I'll slash it tho, for cresselia, meloetta and m-sceptile, i guess. (Which still can be beaten with Iron Head regardless)

i have tested it, though i'll test it a bit more now.

e; opening into QC stage. Sorry if there's much polishing needed.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
yeah Megahorn is 100% necessary for this set to beat CM Psychic-types like it should. also, you set up on Dragalge lacking hp fire iirc, so mention that one must scout for that / bring another check to it

yeah Megahorn is 100% necessary for this set to beat CM Psychic-types like it should. also, you set up on Dragalge lacking hp fire iirc, so mention that one must scout for that / bring another check to it
I'll slash Megahorn first, and mention Pokemon who scout for HP Fire Dragalge in UT. Thanks!

phantom

Banned deucer.
this thread is such a hot mess

qc rejected 1/3

not rejecting the set b/c speaking from experience it's plenty viable, but i don't think you have the experience to write this analysis and i don't think anyone wants to waste time hand-holding you to get this quality to acceptable terms when we can write it on our own.

this escavalier is meant to function as a check to various special attackers while working as a stallbreaker all the same, it doesn't really mention anything about stallbreaking, and against teams that have a very solid check (think moltres) escavalier is supposed to take the defensive approach and not try to rely on its teammates to scare out its counters. basically, its function will vary depending on the matchup. furthermore, this analysis doesn't explain what type of teams this set is viable on, how it works, and at first you didn't even get the evs right. sorry, but this isn't acceptable.

this thread is such a hot mess

qc rejected 1/3

not rejecting the set b/c speaking from experience it's plenty viable, but i don't think you have the experience to write this analysis and i don't think anyone wants to waste time hand-holding you to get this quality to acceptable terms when we can write it on our own.

this escavalier is meant to function as a check to various special attackers while working as a stallbreaker all the same, it doesn't really mention anything about breaking stallbreaking, and against teams that have a very solid check (think moltres) escavalier is supposed to take the defensive approach and not try to rely on its teammates to scare out its counters. basically, its function will vary depending on the matchup. furthermore, this analysis doesn't explain what type of teams this set is viable on, how it works, and at first you didn't even get the evs right. sorry, but this isn't acceptable.
I see. That's fine, though, I can obviously see the reason. I can drop it directly, if you'd like.

e; waiting for 3rd reject

tehy

Banned deucer.
To be honest, why not Knock Off?

No, seriously. Defensive teams' no.1 way to stop this, despite its decline, is Dou, and knock off rekts that, while getting good neutral coverage, especially versus Moltres, nails Delphox. Loses to emboar but, so does megahorn (shame about houndoom), and at the worst takes an item from any check(double shame about mega camel). Still does nice against boosting psychics, nice accuracy, great PP.

The spread should really be spd as hell, and enough speed for slowking, you can then trash it with +2 knock (mostly for fire blasting avests).

And remember, outside of megas, worst case you knock an item, which is always helpful.

Edit: if this set gets reassigned i'll just repost this in the new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)