Doubles Escavalier

QC Checks: Mizuhime, Lolk, Audiosurfer
GP Checks: Legitimate Username, horyzhnz

Overview
########

Escavalier is a Pokemon that has received many new buffs in XY. With the addition of Assault Vest, Escavalier can now take special attacks better than ever before. It also received two important moves. The first, Knock Off, has had its Base Power increased and allows Escavalier to hit Ghost-types for super effective damage while also removing an opponent's item. The second, Drill Run, allows Escavalier to hit the Fire-type Pokemon that previously walled it. In addition to this, the changed mechanic of Overcoat mean that Escavalier can switch in on moves such as Sleep Powder and Spore freely, making it a great Pokemon for absorbing these moves. Escavalier also sits at an extremely low Speed tier, allowing it to underspeed common Trick Room Pokemon such as Cresselia, Aromatisse, and Slowking. Combine all this with its already great typing and powerful STAB Megahorn, and Escavalier is a very potent offensive and defensive threat.

However, Escavalier's list of cons is just as large as its list of pros. Escavalier's typing leaves it with an unfortunate 4x weakness to Fire-type attacks, meaning Pokemon that such as Charizard and Talonflame will always give it trouble. Escavalier's Speed is a double-edged sword; while it makes Escavalier extremely fast in Trick Room, it also makes Escavalier extremely slow outside of it. This also means Escavalier will almost always have to take an attack before dealing any damage, and due to its lack of reliable recovery, Escavalier can find itself being worn down quite quickly. Combined with the high usage of Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp, Escavalier can find itself a sitting duck in certain match-ups. Escavalier is a Pokemon with many positive traits; just make sure to be aware of its negative ones.

Assault Vest
#########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Megahorn
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Drill Run
ability: Overcoat
item: Assault Vest
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
ivs: 0 Spe
nature: Brave

Moves
========

Megahorn is Escavalier's strongest STAB move, allowing it to deal massive damage to Pokemon such as Cresselia and Tyranitar. Since Megahorn is Escavalier's most powerful STAB move, it's the move that Escavalier will be using the most against the opponent. Iron Head provides an accurate secondary STAB move for Escavalier and, while not as powerful as Megahorn, it hits Fairy-type Pokemon such as Aromatisse and Sylveon for super effective damage. It also has a 30% chance to flinch the opponent, completely shutting them down for that turn. Knock Off is a great move on Escavalier, as it provides good coverage, while also being able to hit Ghost-types such as Jellicent and Chandelure for super effective damage. Knock Off also removes the opposing Pokemon's item, which can cripple them for the rest of the match. Drill Run rounds out Escavalier's coverage, allowing it to hit Fire-, Steel-, and Poison-type Pokemon, such as Heatran, Excadrill, and Klefki, for super effective damage.

Set Details
==========

Assault Vest is the item of choice, as it boosts Escavalier's Special Defense to astounding levels. Overcoat is one of Escavalier's best traits, as it allows Escavalier to switch into common Pokemon with sleep-inducing moves such as Breloom, Amoonguss, and Jumpluff with ease. The EV spread allows Escavalier to take as many hits as possible while also allowing it to dish out heavy damage. A Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs allow Escavalier to be as slow as possible under Trick Room, while also giving it as much power as possible.

Usage Tips
==========

As previously mentioned, Spore and Sleep Powder users can't put Escavalier to sleep due to Overcoat, making it a great switch-in to users of these moves. Assault Vest gives Escavalier excellent special bulk, making it an amazing offensive pivot. It also allows Escavalier to switch into special attackers such as Cresselia, Shaymin-S, Ludicolo, Latios, and Gardevoir and threaten them out with its STAB moves. Trick Room helps Escavalier immensely, allowing it to outspeed nearly every Pokemon in the game. Fire-types can be a problem for Escavalier, so make sure you know how to play around them. Predicting a Fire-type switch-in and going for Drill Run, as well as smart double switching to wear down an opposing Charizard, are some good tactics for dealing with these Pokemon. Finally, due to Assault Vest preventing Escavalier from running non-damaging moves, Escavalier can find itself getting double targeted quite easily due to its inability to run Protect.

Team Options
===========

Trick Room users such as Cresselia, Jellicent, and Dusclops, are some of the best partners for Escavalier, as they allow Escavalier to outspeed and deal massive damage to almost every Pokemon in the game. Cresselia is especially helpful, as it has access to Safeguard to protect Escavalier from burns, as well as Ice Beam and Psyshock for hitting Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Hitmontop. Pokemon such as Heatran, Tyranitar, and Politoed can absorb Fire-type moves for Escavalier, and the latter two can also change the weather if sun is up. Politoed's rain weakens the power of Fire-type moves for Escavalier, making it a very helpful teammate. Expert Belt Cresselia, Bisharp, Azumarill, and Shaymin-S can all help eliminate some of the more common Intimidate users, such as Hitmontop and Landorus-T. Shaymin-S can also OHKO Rotom-W before it can use Will-O-Wisp on Escavalier. Intimidate users such as Landorus-T, Hitmontop, Scrafty, and Gyarados can help patch up Escavalier's weaker Defense stat. They are also great switch-ins to one of Escavalier's biggest counters, Heatran. Finally, Choice Scarf Rotom-W, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Thundurus can all outspeed and KO Pokemon such as Mega Charizard Y and Gyarados, making them great partners.

Other Options
##########

One of the more notable items for Escavalier is Sitrus Berry. With it, Escavalier can heal itself by a small amount while also being able to use moves such as Protect and Quick Guard. However, the loss in bulk is usually not worth the ability to use these moves. A Swords Dance set under Trick Room is a another possibility, as it makes Escavalier extremely powerful. However, Escavalier must forgo a coverage move to use Swords Dance and it is nearly useless outside of Trick Room. With Escavalier's low Speed, high Attack, and powerful STAB Megahorn, a Choice Band set can be used to deal massive damage to the opponent. However, Megahorn is resisted by many common Pokemon, including Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, and Landorus-T, and Escavalier almost always prefers the bulk and freedom of Assault Vest. An Occa Berry set with some Special Defense investment can function as a good Heatran lure. However, Assault Vest provides Escavalier with much better overall bulk, and due to Escavalier's inability to defeat more common Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame, it is forced to rely on teammates to deal with Fire-types, even if it can survive their attacks. Finally, Return is a powerful physical attack that allows Escavalier hit Pokemon such as Mega Charizard Y for good damage, although the moves on the main set are almost always the better options due to their superior coverage.

Checks & Counters
##############

**Attack Control**: Common Intimidate users such as Landorus-T, Gyarados, and Hitmontop, can all lower Escavalier's Attack stat, making it hit nowhere near as hard. Scrafty also has access to Intimidate, although Megahorn still deals a large amount of damage to it at -1. Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Gourgeist, and Dusclops can utilize Will-O-Wisp, which lowers Escavalier's power while also wearing it down.

**Offensive Type Advantage**: Fire-types such as Charizard, Heatran, Talonflame, and Volcarona can all absorb a Megahorn or Iron Head and hit back hard with a STAB Fire-type attack. Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame don't have to worry about Drill Run, while Volcarona can burn Escavalier with Flame Body, making them the best counters.

**Speed**: Outside of Trick Room, Escavalier is quite slow, making it vulnerable to being attacked by both opposing Pokemon. Fast, powerful Pokemon, such as Choice Band Landorus-T, Mega Lucario, and Terrakion, can outspeed Escavalier and net a 2HKO, even without a super-effective move.

Last edited:
If you're going to run Brave nature, should you not also run 0 Spe IVs? Otherwise, something like 0 Spe IV Amoongus is slower and becomes a threat to use Spore before Escavalier can move.

Cool. It might also be beneficial to explain why 0 Speed IVs are optimal in the set details section, to illustrate what it plays around and how it affects its use in Trick Room.

Since these skellies will be onsite until the analysis is finished, make sure you use complete sentences throughout it and double-check for grammar :>

Overview:
  • Also mention that Escavalier's lack of recovery lets it down in longer matches.
  • Highlight that it performs well in AND out of Trick Room, which is a great pro for using it.
  • The abundance of Intimidate and Burns really limits Escavalier's potential in the long run.

Set:
  • space out the evs like this: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Moves:
  • Knock Off also gives Escavalier coverage against Ghost-types that wall its STABs, such as Chandelure and Jellicent.
Set Details:

Usage Tips:
  • Talk about how Escavalier plays as an offensive pivot. It switches in and sponges special attackers like nobody's business and then puts offensive pressure on the opponent with its high Base Attack and its great coverage.
  • If Trick Room is up, Escavalier can just go nuts on the opponents.
  • If Trick Room isn't up, Fire-types pose a huge threat to Escavalier, switching in on its STABs and threatening with an OHKO. This always forces Excavalier out, killing momentum for the team. If a Heatran is present, you need some smart Drill Runs on the switch. If Mega Charizard Y is on the opposing team, just double switch until it is dead.
  • Quickly mention that because it wears an assault vest, it is more vulnerable to double targeting strategies to take it out before it can even attack.
Team Options:
  • Hype Politoed more because it checks Mega Charizard-Y and Heatran well offensively as well as weakening Fire-type moves in general. For example, Heatran's Heat Wave against Assault Vest Excavalier in the rain does only a little over half to it.
  • Terrakion, Thundurus, Scarf Tyranitar and Scarf Rotom-W can all take out Mega Charizard Y and Gyarados, both huge threats to Escavalier.
  • Intimidate partners patch up its weaker base Defense. Landorus-T, Hitmontop, Scrafty, and Gyarados check Heatran well!
  • Pokemon such as Expert Belt Cresselia, Azumarill, and Bisharp are great at eliminating the Pokemon with Intimidate that can easily switch into Escavalier.
Other Options:
  • Occa Berry with some Special Defensive investment allows it to comfortably lure Heatran while still being able to use Protect or Quick Guard.
Checks & Counters:
  • Add Gyarados to Intimidate checks. It can switch into almost every attack comfortably.
  • No common Fire-types carry Will-O-Wisp in Doubles atm. Add more Ghost-types such as Gourgeist-S and Dusclops
  • I would get rid of the Speed tag, because it doesnt really cover much. I would just generalize that stopping Trick Room from being set up (by Taunt, Sleep, or offensive pressure) makes it easier for Pokemon to keep it in check.
  • Note that because of Assault Vest, it is common for Pokemon to double up against it, severely damaging Escavalier.
  • It is easy for strong, physical attackers such as Choice Band Landorus, Mega Lucario, and Terrakion to break through Escavalier's lower Defense stat for a solid 2HKO.

Since these skellies will be onsite until the analysis is finished, make sure you use complete sentences throughout it and double-check for grammar :>

Overview:
  • Also mention that Escavalier's lack of recovery lets it down in longer matches.
  • Highlight that it performs well in AND out of Trick Room, which is a great pro for using it.
  • The abundance of Intimidate and Burns really limits Escavalier's potential in the long run.

Set:
  • space out the evs like this: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Moves:
  • Knock Off also gives Escavalier coverage against Ghost-types that wall its STABs, such as Chandelure and Jellicent.
Set Details:

Usage Tips:
  • Talk about how Escavalier plays as an offensive pivot. It switches in and sponges special attackers like nobody's business and then puts offensive pressure on the opponent with its high Base Attack and its great coverage.
  • If Trick Room is up, Escavalier can just go nuts on the opponents.
  • If Trick Room isn't up, Fire-types pose a huge threat to Escavalier, switching in on its STABs and threatening with an OHKO. This always forces Excavalier out, killing momentum for the team. If a Heatran is present, you need some smart Drill Runs on the switch. If Mega Charizard Y is on the opposing team, just double switch until it is dead.
  • Quickly mention that because it wears an assault vest, it is more vulnerable to double targeting strategies to take it out before it can even attack.
Team Options:
  • Hype Politoed more because it checks Mega Charizard-Y and Heatran well offensively as well as weakening Fire-type moves in general. For example, Heatran's Heat Wave against Assault Vest Excavalier in the rain does only a little over half to it.
  • Terrakion, Thundurus, Scarf Tyranitar and Scarf Rotom-W can all take out Mega Charizard Y and Gyarados, both huge threats to Escavalier.
  • Intimidate partners patch up its weaker base Defense. Landorus-T, Hitmontop, Scrafty, and Gyarados check Heatran well!
  • Pokemon such as Expert Belt Cresselia, Azumarill, and Bisharp are great at eliminating the Pokemon with Intimidate that can easily switch into Escavalier.
Other Options:
  • Occa Berry with some Special Defensive investment allows it to comfortably lure Heatran while still being able to use Protect or Quick Guard.
Checks & Counters:
  • Add Gyarados to Intimidate checks. It can switch into almost every attack comfortably.
  • No common Fire-types carry Will-O-Wisp in Doubles atm. Add more Ghost-types such as Gourgeist-S and Dusclops
  • I would get rid of the Speed tag, because it doesnt really cover much. I would just generalize that stopping Trick Room from being set up (by Taunt, Sleep, or offensive pressure) makes it easier for Pokemon to keep it in check.
  • Note that because of Assault Vest, it is common for Pokemon to double up against it, severely damaging Escavalier.
  • It is easy for strong, physical attackers such as Choice Band Landorus, Mega Lucario, and Terrakion to break through Escavalier's lower Defense stat for a solid 2HKO.
Ok, I think I've added it all, and thanks so much for the help! Just note that I ended up keeping Speed as a tag in the Checks & Counters section in order to fit the last two bullet points. If there's a better Tag I should put these in, please let me know.

Pokemon don't kill Pokemon, they KO them :O

QC 2/3 if you don't think you can write this up ASAP than just look over your bullet points again for grammatical and technical mistakes.

Pokemon don't kill Pokemon, they KO them :O

QC 2/3 if you don't think you can write this up ASAP than just look over your bullet points again for grammatical and technical mistakes.
I'm very busy ATM, so I don't think I'll be able to have it written up for 2-3 days, unfortunately. (I'll try my best to have it done ASAP, though!)

I will, however, make sure to look over the skeleton for grammatical/technical mistakes!

In the overview, say that Knock Off is great coverage in general because of the item removal, not just to hit Ghost-types.

You pretty much got everything. Just read over this a few more times because I see a lot of technical and grammatical mistakes. GP will handle that, but might as well make their job a little easier.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Overall:
  • Don't refer to Escavalier as "him"/"he" : use "it" instead.
Overview:
  • Mention / emphasise Escavalier's base 20 Speed. This is one of the main reasons for using Escavalier, since it underspeeds a lot of other more common Trick Room users.
Usage Tips:
  • "Escavalier can find himself getting doubles teamed quite easily due to his inability to run Protect." Did you mean double targeted?
Team Options:
  • Politoed, not Politoad.
  • Specially mention Cresselia, which can Safeguard against burns, set up TR, and Ice Beam Lando-T / Psyshock Hitmontop.
Other Options:
  • "However, Assault Vest usually provides overall better bulk, and since Escavalier can't touch a lot of the more common Fire-types, such as Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame, it is forced to rely on teammates to deal with Fire-types even if it does survive their attacks." (making it clearer why Assault Vest > Occa)
I know a lot of my changes aren't really very QC-ish, but I thought I may as well point out some of the bigger errors :) good job with this though, Escavalier doesn't really have many options so it can be a bit difficult to write about!

Overall:
  • Don't refer to Escavalier as "him"/"he" : use "it" instead.
Overview:
  • Mention / emphasise Escavalier's base 20 Speed. This is one of the main reasons for using Escavalier, since it underspeeds a lot of other more common Trick Room users.
Usage Tips:
  • "Escavalier can find himself getting doubles teamed quite easily due to his inability to run Protect." Did you mean double targeted?
Team Options:
  • Politoed, not Politoad.
  • Specially mention Cresselia, which can Safeguard against burns, set up TR, and Ice Beam Lando-T / Psyshock Hitmontop.
Other Options:
  • "However, Assault Vest usually provides overall better bulk, and since Escavalier can't touch a lot of the more common Fire-types, such as Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame, it is forced to rely on teammates to deal with Fire-types even if it does survive their attacks." (making it clearer why Assault Vest > Occa)
I know a lot of my changes aren't really very QC-ish, but I thought I may as well point out some of the bigger errors :) good job with this though, Escavalier doesn't really have many options so it can be a bit difficult to write about!
Sorry I didn't get back to you, thanks for the advise! I won't be able to get to this for a while though, since I'm currently on vacation. However I will changes this when I have time! (Hopefully later today)

Have some free time, changes made Level 51

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • "It also sits at a great base 20 Speed" <--- maybe say great under Trick Room or something because base 20 is slow as balls outside of it
  • when talking about Iron Head, be sure to mention the flinch chance as well.
  • the moves section is pretty skimpy as is. instead of simply making it an overview of the type chart, go into a bit more detail on how the moves are actually used. for example, i could say that Stealth Rock is nice for chip damage and to net KOs, but the majority of people know that already. however, the statement gets taken to the next level by saying that heatran can use stealth rock on a free turn to rack up chip damage and net KOs, as that tells much more to the reader in terms of when a good time to use Stealth Rock generally is.
  • while this has already passed through 2 QC checks, if you wouldn't mind writing a little thing for Swords Dance in the OO section that'd be cool. It's nice to get a power boost under Trick Room and begin to demolish things with +2 STAB attacks.
  • "With Escavalier's low speed, large attack stat, and its powerful STAB Megahorn, a Choice Band set is possible." <--- to do what? you need to say why people would consider the option, not simply that they could.
looks decent so far. implement my suggestions and ill get back to you when you do LightningLuxray

• "It also sits at a great base 20 Speed" <--- maybe say great under Trick Room or something because base 20 is slow as balls outside of it
  • when talking about Iron Head, be sure to mention the flinch chance as well.
  • the moves section is pretty skimpy as is. instead of simply making it an overview of the type chart, go into a bit more detail on how the moves are actually used. for example, i could say that Stealth Rock is nice for chip damage and to net KOs, but the majority of people know that already. however, the statement gets taken to the next level by saying that heatran can use stealth rock on a free turn to rack up chip damage and net KOs, as that tells much more to the reader in terms of when a good time to use Stealth Rock generally is.
  • while this has already passed through 2 QC checks, if you wouldn't mind writing a little thing for Swords Dance in the OO section that'd be cool. It's nice to get a power boost under Trick Room and begin to demolish things with +2 STAB attacks.
  • "With Escavalier's low speed, large attack stat, and its powerful STAB Megahorn, a Choice Band set is possible." <--- to do what? you need to say why people would consider the option, not simply that they could.
looks decent so far. implement my suggestions and ill get back to you when you do LightningLuxray
Ok so I've done everything but your third bullet point. I guess maybe I don't really understand how I would do this with Escavalier. I mean, while other Pokemon may have moves that they use at specific times in a match, I feel like this isn't really applicable with an all-out attacker like Escavalier. Like, outside of predicting Heatran switch-ins with Drill Run (which is already in Usage Tips), I'm not sure what else to say. Maybe a mention of how you tend to use Megahorn most, as it's your most powerful STAB? I mean I feel like that's kind of already obvious and pretty unnecessary... If you could explain in more detail what you'd like me to do, that'd be great.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
LightningLuxray, something like "x is the move you'll be using most of the time. y is also good, but is mainly used to hit fairies or for a more accurate stab, this is used as a coverage option to hit x y z, etc," it's not even so much a problem of content i guess as it is prose. for example, while i know that megahorn does a lot of damage and iron head can too, i don't know when to use one vs the other. something as simple as "and given its high power, it's what you'll be using most often" (don't copy this line please, write your own, this one isn't that good just serves as an example) tells me not only that megahorn is powerful, but that it's the move i should be spamming in neutral situations for the most part. somethin like that. it might seem obvious to you, but it goes a long way in helping the newer players whose grasp on battling might not be that solid, and it doesn't take much effort to do.

LightningLuxray AM Check
Change
Remove
Comments

Overview
########

Escavalier is a Pokemon whothat has received many new buffs this generationin XY. With the addition of the new item, Assault Vest, Escavalier can now tank hitke powerful special attacks better than ever before. It also received two greaimportant new moves this generationin XY. The first, Knock Off, has had its base power increased and allows Escavalier to hit Ghost-types while also knockremoving off the opponent's item. The second, Drill Run, giveallows Escavalier a great way to hit Fire-type Pokemon that previously walled it. Not only that, but the newchanged Overcoat mechanics mean that Escavalier can switch in to moves such as Sleep Powder and Spore freely, making it a great way for the teamPokemon to deal with sleepabsorb these moves. It also sits at an extremely low base Speed tier, allowing it to underspeed common Trick Room Pokemon, such as Cresselia, Aromatisse, and Slowking. Combine thisd with its already great typing and powerful STAB Megahorn, and you haveEscavalier is a very potent offensive and defensive threat.

However, Escavalier’s list of cons is just as large as its list of pros. Escavalier’s typing leaves it with an unfortunate 4x weakness to Fire-type attacks, meaning Pokemon such as Charizard and Talonflame will always give it trouble. Escavalier’s speed is a double-edged sword, as while it makes Escavalier extremely fast in Trick Room, it also makes Escavalier extremely slow outside of it. This means itEscavalier will almost always have to tanke a hitn attack before dealing any damage, and without anydue to its lack of reliable recovery, Escavalier can find itself being worn down quite quickly. Combine thisd with the high usage of Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp, and Escavalier can find itself a sitting duck in certain match-ups. Escavalier is a Pokemon with many positive traits; just make sure to be aware of its negative ones.

Assault Vest
#########
Name: Assault Vest
Move 1: Megahorn
Move 2: Iron Head
Move 3: Knock Off
Move 4: Drill Run
Ability: Overcoat
Item: Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature: Brave
IVs: 0 Spe

Moves
========

Megahorn is Escavalier’s powerful STAB move, allowing it to deal massive damage to Pokemon such as Cresselia and Tyranitar. Since Megahorn is yourEscavalier's most powerful STAB move, it's the one you'move Escavalier will be using the most often against the opponent. Iron Head provides an accurate secondary STAB move for Escavalier, and, while not as powerful as Megahorn, it gives Escavalier a good way to hits Fairy-type Pokemon such as Aromatisse and Sylveon for super effective damage. It also has a helpful 30% chance to flinch the opponent, completely shutting one of your opponent's Pokthemon down that turn. Knock Off is a great move for Escavalier, as it provides good general coverage, while also being able to hit annoying Ghost-type such as Jellicent and Chandelure for super effective damage. Knock Off also removes the opposing Pokemon's item, which can cripple the opponenit for the rest of the match. Drill Run rounds out Escavalier’s coverage, allowing it to hit Fire-, Steel-, and Poison-type Pokemon, such as Heatran, Excadrill, and Klefki for super effective damage.

Set Details:
==========

Assault Vest is the item of choice on Escavalier, as it boosts Escavalier’s Special Defense to good levels while also allowastounding it to use all of its powerful attacking movels. Overcoat is one of Escavalier’s best traits, as it allows Escavalier to switch into common Spore and Ssleep Powdinducers users with ease, such as Breloom, Amoonguss, and Jumpluff with ease,. The EV spread allows Escavalier to tanke as many hits as possible while also allowing it to dishing out good damage. A Brave nature and 0 speed IVs allows Escavalier to be as slow as possible inunder Trick Room, while also hittgiving it as hardestmuch power as possible.

Usage Tips:
==========

As previously mentioned, Spore and Sleep Powder users can’t put Escavalier asleep due to Overcoat, making it a great switch-in to users of these moves. Assault Vest gives Escavalier good bulk on theexcellent special sidebulk, making it an amazing offensive pivot. It also allows Escavalier to switch into special attackers such as Cresselia, Shaymin-S, Ludicolo, Latios, and Gardevoir and threaten them out with its STAB moves. Trick Room helps Escavalier immensely, allowing it to outspeed almostnearly every Pokemon in the game. Fire-types can be a problem for Escavalier, so make sure you know how to play around them. Predicting a Heatran switch-in and going for Drill Run, as well as smart double switching to wear down an opposing Charizard are some good tactics for dealing with these Pokemon. Finally, due to Assault Vest’s move-limit preventing Escavalier from running drawbacknon-damaging moves, Escavalier can find itself getting doubles targeted quite easily due to its inability to run Protect.

Team Options
===========

Trick Room usetters, such as Cresselia, Jellicent, and Dusclops, are some of the best partners for Escavalier, as they allow Escavalier to outspeed and deal massive damage to almost every Pokemon in the game and deal massive damage to them. Cresselia is especially helpful, as it has access to Safegaurd to protect Escavlier from Bburn, as well as Ice Beam and Psyshock for Intimidate users, such as Landorus-T and Hitmontop. Pokemon such as Heatran, Tyranitar, and Politoad can absorb Fire-type moves for Escavalier, and. Tyranitar and Politoed can also change the weather if Ssun is up. Politoed's Rrain also weakens the power of Fire-type moves for Escavalier, making it a very helpful teammate. Expert Belt Cresselia, Bisharp, Azumarill, and Shaymin-S can all help eliminate some of the more common Intimidate users, such as Hitmontop and Landorus-T. Shaymin-S can also OHKO Rotom-W before it can use Will-O-Wisp on Escavalier. Intimidate users such as Landorus-T, Hitmontop, Scrafty and Gyarados all help patch up Escavalier’s weaker defense stat. They are also great switch-ins to one of Escavalier’s biggest counters, Heatran. Finally, Choice Scarf Rotom-W, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Thundurus can all outspeed and KO Pokemon such as Mega Charizard Y and Gyarados, making them great partners.

Other Options
##########

One of the more notable optionitems for Escavlier is Sitrus Berry. With it, Escavalier can heal itself by a small amount while also being able to use moves such as Protect and Quick Guard. However, the loss in bulk is usually not worth the ability to use these moves. A Swords Dance set under Trick Room is a another possibility, as it makes Esavalier extremely powerful under Trick Room. However, Escavalier must forgo a coverage move to run this,use Swords Dance and it is nearly useless outside of Trick Room. With Escavalier's low sSpeed, large ahigh Attack stat, and its powerful STAB Megahorn, a Choice Band set is possiblecan be used to doeal massive damage to the opponent. However, Megahorn is resisted by a total of 7 typesmany common Pokemon, including Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, and,Landorus-T(" A total of 7 types sounds rather awkward, which is why I removed it), and Escavalier almost always prefers the bulk and freedom of Assault Vest. An Occa Berry set with some Special Defense investment can befunction as a good Heatran lure, and it can also run Protect(This mention of Protect seemed unnecessary and doesn't seem to flow well with the analysis). However, Assault Vest provides overallEscavalier with much better overall bulk, and sincedue to Escavalier can't touch a lot of the's inability to defeat more common Fire-types, such as Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame, it is forced to rely on teammates to deal with Fire-types, even if it can survive their attacks. Finally, Return is a powerful physical attack that letallows Escavalier hit Pokemon such a Mega Charizard Y for good damage, though. However, the moves on the main set are almost always the better options withdue to their superior coverage.

Checks & Counters
##############

**Attack Control**
Common Intimidate users, such aincluding Landorus-T, Gyarados, and Hitmontop, can all lower Escavalier's aAttack, making it hit nowhere near as hard. Scrafty also has access to Intimidate, although Megahorn still doeals a lot, evenarge amount of damage to it at -1. Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Gourgeist, and Dusclops can utilize Will-O-Wisp, which wears Escavalier down while also lowering its attack power.

**Offensive Type Advantage**
Fire-types, such as Charizard, Heatran, Talonflame, and Volcarona can all absorb a Megahorn or Iron Head and hit back hard with a STAB Fire-type attack. Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame don’t have to worry about Drill Run, while Volcarona can fish forattempt to burn Escavalier with Flame Body, making them the best counters.

**Speed**
Outside of Trick Room, Escavalier is quite slow, meanaking it is vulnerable to being double teamattacked by bothe opposing Pokemont. Fast, powerful Pokemon, such as Choice Band Landorus-T(CB Landorus isn't good in doubles. You should replace this mention with something more relevant.), Mega Lucario, and Terrakion can outspeed Escavalier and netachieve a 2HKO, even without a super-effective move.

Overview
########

Escavalier is a Pokemon that has received many new buffs in XY. With the addition of Assault Vest, Escavalier can now take powerful special attacks better than ever before. It also received two important moves in XY. The first, Knock Off, has had its base power increased and allows Escavalier to hit Ghost-types while also removing the opponent's item. The second, Drill Run, allows Escavalier to hit Fire-type Pokemon that previously walled it. Not only that, but the changed Overcoat mechanics mean that Escavalier can switch in to moves such as Sleep Powder and Spore freely, making it a great Pokemon to absorb these moves. It also sits at an extremely low Speed tier, allowing it to underspeed common Trick Room Pokemon, such as Cresselia, Aromatisse, and Slowking. Combined with its already great typing and powerful STAB Megahorn, Escavalier is a very potent offensive and defensive threat.

However, Escavalier’s list of cons is just as large as its list of pros. Escavalier’s typing leaves it with an unfortunate 4x weakness to Fire-type attacks, meaning Pokemon such as Charizard and Talonflame will always give it trouble. Escavalier’s speed is a double-edged sword, as while it makes Escavalier extremely fast in Trick Room, it also makes Escavalier extremely slow outside of it. This means Escavalier will almost always have to take an attack before dealing any damage and due to its lack of reliable recovery, Escavalier can find itself being worn down quite quickly. Combined with the high usage of Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp, Escavalier can find itself a sitting duck in certain match-ups. Escavalier is a Pokemon with many positive traits; just make sure to be aware of its negative ones.

Assault Vest
#########
Name: Assault Vest
Move 1: Megahorn
Move 2: Iron Head
Move 3: Knock Off
Move 4: Drill Run
Ability: Overcoat
Item: Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature: Brave
IVs: 0 Spe

Moves
========

Megahorn is Escavalier’s powerful STAB move, allowing it to deal massive damage to Pokemon such as Cresselia and Tyranitar. Since Megahorn is Escavalier's most powerful STAB move, it's the move Escavalier will be using the most against the opponent. Iron Head provides an accurate secondary STAB move for Escavalier and, while not as powerful as Megahorn, it hits Fairy-type Pokemon such as Aromatisse and Sylveon for super effective damage. It also has a 30% chance to flinch the opponent, completely shutting them down that turn. Knock Off is a great move for Escavalier, as it provides good coverage, while also being able to hit Ghost-type such as Jellicent and Chandelure for super effective damage. Knock Off also removes the opposing Pokemon's item, which can cripple it for the rest of the match. Drill Run rounds out Escavalier’s coverage, allowing it to hit Fire-, Steel-, and Poison-type Pokemon, such as Heatran, Excadrill, and Klefki for super effective damage.

Set Details:
==========

Assault Vest is the item of choice on Escavalier, as it boosts Escavalier’s Special Defense to astounding levels. Overcoat is one of Escavalier’s best traits, as it allows Escavalier to switch into common sleep inducers users such as Breloom, Amoonguss, and Jumpluff with ease,. The EV spread allows Escavalier to take as many hits as possible while also allowing it to dish out good damage. A Brave nature and 0 speed IVs allow Escavalier to be as slow as possible under Trick Room, while also giving it as much power as possible.

Usage Tips:
==========

As previously mentioned, Spore and Sleep Powder users can’t put Escavalier asleep due to Overcoat, making it a great switch-in to users of these moves. Assault Vest gives Escavalier excellent special bulk, making it an amazing offensive pivot. It also allows Escavalier to switch into special attackers such as Cresselia, Shaymin-S, Ludicolo, Latios, and Gardevoir and threaten them out with its STAB moves. Trick Room helps Escavalier immensely, allowing it to outspeed nearly every Pokemon in the game. Fire-types can be a problem for Escavalier, so make sure you know how to play around them. Predicting a Heatran switch-in and going for Drill Run, as well as smart double switching to wear down an opposing Charizard are some good tactics for dealing with these Pokemon. Finally, due to Assault Vest preventing Escavalier from running non-damaging moves, Escavalier can find itself getting doubles targeted quite easily due to its inability to run Protect.

Team Options
===========

Trick Room users, such as Cresselia, Jellicent, and Dusclops, are some of the best partners for Escavalier, as they allow Escavalier to outspeed and deal massive damage to almost every Pokemon in the game. Cresselia is especially helpful, as it has access to Safegaurd to protect Escavlier from burn, as well as Ice Beam and Psyshock for Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Hitmontop. Pokemon such as Heatran, Tyranitar, and Politoad can absorb Fire-type moves for Escavalier. Tyranitar and Politoed can also change the weather if sun is up. Politoed's rain weakens the power of Fire-type moves for Escavalier, making it a very helpful teammate. Expert Belt Cresselia, Bisharp, Azumarill, and Shaymin-S can all help eliminate some of the more common Intimidate users, such as Hitmontop and Landorus-T. Shaymin-S can also OHKO Rotom-W before it can use Will-O-Wisp on Escavalier. Intimidate users such as Landorus-T, Hitmontop, Scrafty and Gyarados all help patch up Escavalier’s weaker defense stat. They are also great switch-ins to one of Escavalier’s biggest counters, Heatran. Finally, Choice Scarf Rotom-W, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Thundurus can all outspeed and KO Pokemon such as Mega Charizard Y and Gyarados, making them great partners.

Other Options
##########

One of the more notable items for Escavlier is Sitrus Berry. With it, Escavalier can heal itself by a small amount while also being able to use moves such as Protect and Quick Guard. However, the loss in bulk is usually not worth the ability to use these moves. A Swords Dance set under Trick Room is a another possibility, as it makes Esavalier extremely powerful. However, Escavalier must forgo a coverage move to use Swords Dance and it is nearly useless outside of Trick Room. With Escavalier's low Speed, high Attack stat, and its powerful STAB Megahorn, a Choice Band set can be used to deal massive damage to the opponent. However, Megahorn is resisted by many common Pokemon, including Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, and,Landorus-T, and Escavalier almost always prefers the bulk and freedom of Assault Vest. An Occa Berry set with some Special Defense investment can function as a good Heatran lure. However, Assault Vest provides Escavalier with much better overall bulk, and due to Escavalier's inability to defeat more common Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame, it is forced to rely on teammates to deal with Fire-types, even if it can survive their attacks. Finally, Return is a powerful physical attack that allows Escavalier hit Pokemon such a Mega Charizard Y for good damage. However, the moves on the main set are almost always the better options due to their superior coverage.

Checks & Counters
##############

**Attack Control**
Common Intimidate users, including Landorus-T, Gyarados, and Hitmontop, can all lower Escavalier's Attack, making it hit nowhere near as hard. Scrafty also has access to Intimidate, although Megahorn still deals a large amount of damage to it at -1. Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Gourgeist, and Dusclops can utilize Will-O-Wisp, which wears Escavalier down while also lowering its attack power.

**Offensive Type Advantage**
Fire-types such as Charizard, Heatran, Talonflame, and Volcarona can all absorb a Megahorn or Iron Head and hit back hard with a STAB Fire-type attack. Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame don’t have to worry about Drill Run, while Volcarona can attempt to burn Escavalier with Flame Body, making them the best counters.

**Speed**
Outside of Trick Room, Escavalier is quite slow, making it vulnerable to being attacked by both opposing Pokemon. Fast, powerful Pokemon, such as Choice Band Landorus-T, Mega Lucario, and Terrakion can outspeed Escavalier and net a 2HKO, even without a super-effective move.

There were a lot of simple errors in this analysis. Remember to take a look and the Spelling and Grammar standards for future analyses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)