Events - Dex Submissions

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not done with these pesky process threads yet!

-------

[title]
Pokedex Entry Submissions
[page]

<ol class="toc">
<li><a href="#intro">Introduction</a></li>
<li><a href="#misc">Miscellaneous Flavor</a></li>
<li><a href="#dex">Pokedex Entry Submissions</a></li>
<li><a href="#example">Example Submission: Serperior</a></li>
</ol>

<h2><a name="intro">Introduction</a></h2>

<p>Once the competitive portions of the CAP are completed, some would say that's where the CAP ends. Sure, there's still playtesting, but from a process perspective, once the sprites are done, what else is there? Well, everyone likes talking about flavor, and after all, we are creating a Pokemon here. There are all sorts of miscellaneous bits of flavor to sort out that real Pokemon have. Most of these are not put to the community vote, as they are too unimportant as details to merit twenty four hours or more of our precious lives each, but there is one item on the agenda that is - the Pokedex Entry (or just Dex) Submissions.</p>

<h2><a name="misc">Miscellaneous Flavor</a></h2>

<p>The Topic Leader reserves the right to make an executive decision concerning the following elements of a given CAP's general flavor:</p>

<ul>
<li>Height</li>
<li>Weight (including damage dealt by Low Kick / Grass Knot)</li>
<li>Gender Ratio</li>
<li>Designation of Hidden Ability (ie. which ability is obtained in the Dream World)</li>
</ul>

<p>Bear in mind that the Topic Leader can also call a vote on any of these issues if they deem it necessary, or are unable to decide. Any other elements of miscellaneous flavor, such as Exp. Growth, EV yield, and Egg steps, which do not necessarily have any bearing on the Pokemon's use competitively or are simply too obscure to matter, are generally not included.</p>

<h2><a name="dex">Pokedex Entry Submissions</a></h2>

<p>The CAP community is allowed to submit Pokedex Entries, which will be slated by the Topic Leader based on individual merit and voted on by the CAP community. All submissions include two parts - a species name (eg. Garchomp: The Mach Pokemon) and a Pokedex Submission. The user in question may, however, elect to exclude a species name if they wish, though it is strongly encouraged that they submit one.</p>

<p>The following rules must be adhered to by all submissions:</p>

<ul>
<li><strong>Pokedex entries are 1-3 short, simple sentences.</strong></li>
<li><strong>Pokedex entries must be submitted as a Final Submission to be considered in the poll.</strong> You should make this absolutely clear so that the Topic Leader knows that it is your Final Submission.</li>
<li><strong>Provide a Pokedex entry for Pokemon Black, Pokemon White, and a combined entry for Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2.</strong> This means that you need to submit three Pokedex entries, not just one. Usually, the Black and White entries complement the ideas of the other, but address different sides of the same coin, while the combined third entry combines the two ideas in some fashion. Check some in-game BW Pokedex entries for examples.</li>
<li><strong>You may ask for advice, but bumping of any kind is not allowed.</strong> If people don't comment on your Pokedex entry, let the silence be your advice. You can revise it and repost it, but please don't ask for help in the thread.
<li><strong>Keep entries in good taste.</strong> If it happens on Animal Planet or in National Geographic it's fair game, but gratuitously violent or excessively disgusting entries will be warned and deleted.</li>
<li><strong>One submission per user.</strong></li>
</ul>

<h2><a name="example">Example Submission: Serperior</a></h2>

<p><blockquote><em>
<p><strong>Serperior</strong>, the <strong>Regal</strong> Pokemon</p>
<p><strong>Black:</strong> It can stop its opponents' movements with just a glare. It takes in solar energy and boosts it internally.</p>
<p><strong>White:</strong> They raise their heads to intimidate opponents, but only give it their all when fighting a powerful opponent.</p>
<p><strong>Black 2 / White 2:</strong> It only gives its all fighting against strong opponents who are not fazed by the glare from Serperior's noble eyes.</p>
</em></blockquote></p>

-------

Will do Pre-Evolution Poll as soon as this thread is resolved. Cheerio.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove
Comment

[title]
Pokedex Entry Submissions
[page]

<ol class="toc">
<li><a href="#intro">Introduction</a></li>
<li><a href="#misc">Miscellaneous Flavour Flavor</a></li>
<li><a href="#dex">Pokedex Entry Submissions</a></li>
<li><a href="#example">Example Submission: Serperior</a></li>
</ol>

<h2><a name="intro">Introduction</a></h2>

<p>Once the competitive portions of the CAP are completed, some would say that that's where the CAP ends. Sure, there's still playtesting, but really, once the sprites are done, what else is there? Well, everyone likes talking about flavour flavor, and after all, we are creating a Pokemon here. There are all sorts of miscellaneous bits of flavour flavor 'Flavor' to me here doesn't seem right, as it's used quite a bit already, and doesn't seem to fit. Perhaps "tidbit" or something along that. to sort out that real Pokemon have. Most of these are not put to the community vote, but there is one item on the agenda that is - the Pokedex Entry (or just Dex) Submissions.</p>

<h2><a name="misc">Miscellaneous Flavour Flavor</a></h2>

<p>The Topic Leader reserves the right to make an executive decision concerning the following elements of a given CAP's general flavour Flavor:</p>

<ul>
<li>Height</li>
<li>Gender Ratio</li>
<li>Hidden Ability (ie. the ability obtained in the Dream World)</li>
</ul>

<p>Bear in mind that the Topic Leader can also call a vote on any of these issues if they deem it necessary, or are unable to decide. Other elements of miscellaneous flavour, such as Exp. Growth, EV yield, and Egg steps, which do not necessarily have any bearing on the Pokemon's use competitively or are simply too obscure to matter, mightay or mightay not be included depending on Topic Leader discretion.</p>

<h2><a name="dex">Pokedex Entry Submissions</a></h2>

<p>The CAP community is allowed to submit Pokedex Entries, which will be slated by the Topic Leader based on individual merit and voted on by the CAP community. All submissions include two parts - a species name (eg. Garchomp: The Mach Pokemon) and a Pokedex Submission. The user in question may, however, elect to exclude a species name if they wish, in which case the Topic Leader will assign one themselves.</p>

<p>The following rules must be adhered to by all submissions:</p>

<ul>
<li><strong>Pokedex entries are 1-3 short, simple sentences.</strong></li>
<li><strong>Pokedex entries must be submitted as a Final Submission to be considered in the poll.</strong> You should make this absolutely clear so that the Topic Leader knows that it is your Final Submission.</li>
<li><strong>Provide a Pokedex entry for Pokemon Black, Pokemon White, and a combined entry for Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2.</strong> This means that you need to submit three Pokedex entries, not just one. Usually, the Black and White entries complement the ideas of the other, but address different sides of the same coin, while the combined third entry combines the two ideas in some fashion. Check some in-game BW Pokemon for examples.</li>
<li><strong>You may ask for advice, but bumping of any kind is not allowed.</strong> If people don't comment on your Pokedex entry, let the silence be your advice. You can revise it and repost it, but please don't ask for help in the thread.
<li><strong>Keep entries in good taste.</strong> If it happens on Animal Planet or in National Geographic it's fair game, but gratuitously violent or excessively disgusting entries will be warned and deleted.</li>
<li><strong>One submission per user.</strong></li>
</ul>

<h2><a name="example">Example Submission: Serperior</a></h2>

<p><blockquote><em>
<p><strong>Serperior</strong>, the <strong>Regal</strong> Pokemon</p>
<p><strong>Black:</strong> It can stop its opponents' movements with just a glare. It takes in solar energy and boosts it internally.</p>
<p><strong>White:</strong> They raise their heads to intimidate opponents, but only give it their all when fighting a powerful opponent.</p>
<p><strong>Black 2 / White 2:</strong> It only gives its all fighting against strong opponents who are not fazed by the glare from Serperior's noble eyes.</p>
</em></blockquote></p>
I saw flavor in it a lot, I haven't helped much with CAP so I don't know if 'flavor' is a coined term or not.

I'm not too good with HTML, but from my knowledge this looks good.

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Great Job!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure why you would start requesting GP checks for this when you had received zero feedback on this, from both IRC and the forums. Seems like a waste of their time, since there are some things that need to be changed.

<p>Once the competitive portions of the CAP are completed, some would say that's where the CAP ends. Sure, there's still playtesting, but really, once the sprites are done, what else is there? Well, everyone likes talking about flavor, and after all, we are creating a Pokemon here. There are all sorts of miscellaneous bits of flavor to sort out that real Pokemon have. Most of these are not put to the community vote, but there is one item on the agenda that is - the Pokedex Entry (or just Dex) Submissions.</p>
This is ambiguous in nature and could be defined more clearly. Dex submissions occur before the playtest; I think you meant to say that but it does not come through clearly in the text. I don't think that "some" is a good quantity of people who would say the CAP is done either. Many people put great stock in the playtest, including me and the others who actually play on it. You should also clarify why some flavor aspects are not put to vote, with the answer being that they are too minute for us to waste more time on.

<p>The Topic Leader reserves the right to make an executive decision concerning the following elements of a given CAP's general flavor:</p>

<ul>
<li>Height</li>
<li>Gender Ratio</li>
<li>Hidden Ability (ie. the ability obtained in the Dream World)</li>
</ul>
No? As far as I am aware, the TL has no say over the Dream World ability; that all happens in flavor ability polls when and if No Competitive Ability is chosen. I don't know where you got this notion at all. The others are fine, but it might be worth noting that they have not been decided for the vast majority of CAPs.

<p>Bear in mind that the Topic Leader can also call a vote on any of these issues if they deem it necessary, or are unable to decide. Other elements of miscellaneous flavor, such as Exp. Growth, EV yield, and Egg steps, which do not necessarily have any bearing on the Pokemon's use competitively or are simply too obscure to matter, might or might not be included depending on Topic Leader discretion.</p>
This seems to just be chatter for making the article longer, but it also has the negative role in making up things that don't exist in the CAP process. No TL has ever decided Exp. Growth, EV yield, or Egg steps, so don't start bringing that into the process. If CAP as a group decides via the PRC to start including those, that's fine. But for right now, those are not under the TL's jurisdiction. I don't have a problem with adding those to the process, but do it through the PRC, not by sneaking it under our noses by writing an article.

<p>The CAP community is allowed to submit Pokedex Entries, which will be slated by the Topic Leader based on individual merit and voted on by the CAP community. All submissions include two parts - a species name (eg. Garchomp: The Mach Pokemon) and a Pokedex Submission. The user in question may, however, elect to exclude a species name if they wish, in which case the Topic Leader will assign one themselves.</p>
I'd like some proof of the part I bolded. I don't recall seeing a PRC thread on that or it happening in any part of any CAP. Sure, I think it is within the realm of possibilities, but all Dex submitters are strongly encouraged to create a species name.

<li><strong>Provide a Pokedex entry for Pokemon Black, Pokemon White, and a combined entry for Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2.</strong> This means that you need to submit three Pokedex entries, not just one. Usually, the Black and White entries complement the ideas of the other, but address different sides of the same coin, while the combined third entry combines the two ideas in some fashion. Check some in-game BW Pokemon for examples.</li>
Another thing that "you updated" without any precedent. Can you provide some examples of this coin-like duality between Black and White Pokedex entries? Perhaps I am bad at picking up on patterns (it's definitely possible), but I haven't seen anything that supports this with already existing entries. Also, change the last sentence to "in-game BW Pokedex entries," because the current form implies that only BW Pokemon dexes should be considered (Snivy, Scraggy, Ferrothorn), but not pre-Gen 5 dexes made for Gen 5 (Charizard, Rotom, Quagsire).

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure why you would start requesting GP checks for this when you had received zero feedback on this, from both IRC and the forums. Seems like a waste of their time, since there are some things that need to be changed.
Because nobody said anything for a week. Seemed like long enough.

This is ambiguous in nature and could be defined more clearly. Dex submissions occur before the playtest; I think you meant to say that but it does not come through clearly in the text. I don't think that "some" is a good quantity of people who would say the CAP is done either. Many people put great stock in the playtest, including me and the others who actually play on it. You should also clarify why some flavor aspects are not put to vote, with the answer being that they are too minute for us to waste more time on.
Merely persiflage, playing off the CAP Project's endless insistence on downplaying the playtest in favour of the process. I'm not sure where you get the idea that I have something against the playtest from. And I'll make sure to clarify that, thanks.

No? As far as I am aware, the TL has no say over the Dream World ability; that all happens in flavor ability polls when and if No Competitive Ability is chosen. I don't know where you got this notion at all. The others are fine, but it might be worth noting that they have not been decided for the vast majority of CAPs.
You seem to misunderstand. One of the two abilities chosen must be the Dream World ability; ergo, to decide which one is, we can either call a vote or the Topic Leader decides for themselves. Rising_Dusk put Necturna's to the vote (CAP2), and Deck_Knight made his own decision (CAP3). I'm not entirely certain what you are calling issue with here.

This seems to just be chatter for making the article longer, but it also has the negative role in making up things that don't exist in the CAP process. No TL has ever decided Exp. Growth, EV yield, or Egg steps, so don't start bringing that into the process. If CAP as a group decides via the PRC to start including those, that's fine. But for right now, those are not under the TL's jurisdiction. I don't have a problem with adding those to the process, but do it through the PRC, not by sneaking it under our noses by writing an article.
I don't know how exactly to respond to this. I'll ignore the last sentence for now. I'm aware that no TL decides those sorts of things, but it's not outside the realm of possibility and there's no reference I had that stated explicitly that those weren't under the TL's jurisdiction. They probably are, but are just so minute that no sane TL would bother with them. There is no precedent for saying "The Topic Leader cannot set Egg Steps", so I just went with the most sensible interpretation of what I had.

I'd like some proof of the part I bolded. I don't recall seeing a PRC thread on that or it happening in any part of any CAP. Sure, I think it is within the realm of possibilities, but all Dex submitters are strongly encouraged to create a species name.
I've never seen a Dex Entry disqualified for not having a species name, and in the event of one winning that doesn't have a species name, I merely applied the most sensible solution to the problem.

Another thing that "you updated" without any precedent. Can you provide some examples of this coin-like duality between Black and White Pokedex entries? Perhaps I am bad at picking up on patterns (it's definitely possible), but I haven't seen anything that supports this with already existing entries. Also, change the last sentence to "in-game BW Pokedex entries," because the current form implies that only BW Pokemon dexes should be considered (Snivy, Scraggy, Ferrothorn), but not pre-Gen 5 dexes made for Gen 5 (Charizard, Rotom, Quagsire).
Mainly the last set of Pokedex entry polls. I certainly didn't make up the coin-like duality - it was used in CAP3 and I assumed that since nobody complained about it then that nobody cared sufficiently about it to warrant changes. Or at least, that SOMEBODY thought this was a sensible way of doing things. And I looked up some random BW entries, and it seemed to fit to a greater or lesser extent. I also looked through the BW2 entries, and they seemed to fit the pattern I described (and yes, that is the bit that I added).

I will update the bits that you pointed out. I don't like the way you appear to be implying that I am trying to bend the process rules through writing this - I did my research, I codified what we had been doing up until this point and I made common sense judgements where the lines were blurred. If you take issue with it, kindly feel free to discuss it here. It's not like these are hard requirements anyway... and I'm not sure why you think I would see shadowy manipulation of the Dex entry process to be a particularly worthwhile use of my Machiavellian skills. Or that I would try to introduce measures where there wasn't precedent.

EDIT: Added the necessary details.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I made a quick edit for the Dream World bit because all the confusion was cleared up with the addition of two or three words. The other edits are acceptable. Otherwise, this looks good to go! I am not sure if you implemented your second GP check yet, but once you do that and get this finalized, let me know and I can throw it up on site. Good work, bmb.

I have no desire to create drama, since we both do have a common goal of updating the CAP site. I hope you understand, however, that I am going to be brutally honest when checking your updates, revamps, and additions before they go up on site. For the record, silence is not an indication that everything is good to go. Furthermore, try to keep your writing concise and historically founded. The eggs steps / EV yield / exp. growth bit came out of absolutely nowhere, and while I am not opposed to them being added to CAPs, there is literally zero historical precedence of those being a part of the CAP process at all. Lemme know if you need any further clarifications.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)