Exploding Camel (Camerupt discussion)

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/323.shtml

Base Stats: 70/100/70/105/75/40

Abilities: Magma Armor (prevents freezing)
Solid Rock (Cuts damage from super effective attacks)

Physical Movepool:
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Take Down
Facade
Explosion
Stone Edge

not much, but they are quality moves

Special Movepool:
Lava Plume (30% burn rate, slightly weaker than FT)
Flamethrower
Earth Power
Eruption
Fire Blast
Solarbeam
Overheat
Flash Cannon
Ancient Power

not much again, but quality moves

Support Movepool:
Amnesia
Fissure
Roar
Sunny Day
Sandstorm
Rest
Attract
Endure
Will-o-Wisp
Rock Polish
Stealth Rock
Captivate
Sleep Talk
Swagger
Scary Face
Yawn

interesting options

moveset:
Camerupt @ Choice Band
Brave (+ attack, - speed) EVs in attack and HP, some in SA
Solid Rock (duh)
Earthquake
Overheat
Explosion
Stone Edge

Rock/Ground is a good attack combo, fire for skarm and explode for those bulky waters...

Trick Room Camerupt
Camerupt @ Charcoal?
Brave, EVs in SA and AT, make sure speed IV is 0
Solid Rock
Eruption
Earthquake
Explode
Stone Edge

He is almost guaranteed to go first in trick room, and eruption at full health is devastating, esp in 2v2 (too bad he can't use life orb, 10% recoil bites with eruption).

Thoughts? this guy is my 2nd favorite pokemon and i'm trying to work him in a standard team:)

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The combination of bad speed and mediocre defenses make Camerupt really hard to use. Outside of UU, Camerupt's only attempt at value is Trick Room abuse. In this context, Camerupt is amazing with Eruption abuse, especially in 2v2 in combination with Sunny Day + Cherrim support. Fun fact: Choice Specs Camerupt with Cherrim + Sunny Day support using a full power Eruption can OHKO a 651/306 Blissey.

The combination of bad speed and mediocre defenses make Camerupt really hard to use. Outside of UU, Camerupt's only attempt at value is Trick Room abuse. In this context, Camerupt is amazing with Eruption abuse, especially in 2v2 in combination with Sunny Day + Cherrim support. Fun fact: Choice Specs Camerupt with Cherrim + Sunny Day support using a full power Eruption can OHKO a 651/306 Blissey.
I don't know, I did okay with Camerupt back in my Netbattle playing days. Especially since it laughed at bog-standard Raikou (i.e. HP Grass), annoyed Zapdos pre-XD, and lured bulky waters in.

Camerupt is surprisingly good at walling Electrics. Obviously it is immune to electric moves, and can shrug off most HP grass/ices with ease.

Yeah, leave it to a guy named Arash to start a thread about suicide-bombing camels.

Anyways, I've used Camerupt quite extensively on some of my teams, and I must say that it really only has an effect at all on the battle when it uses either Overheat or Explosion. (OU setting) It walls electrics just great, but after you break through their sub or whatever and cause them to switch, there's just not a lot Camerupt can do to anything that would ever come in on it. It also doesn't help that the guy has to switch out pretty much after every attack, due to his frailty and incredibly slow speed.

That brings me to my second point. A huge setback of Camerupt is its abysmal speed. 40 is extremely sad, you beat maybe Steelix, Dusclops, and like, Slowbro. For an extremely offensively oriented pokemon with bad defenses, 40 base speed just plain sucks. Camerupt gets beaten by ALOT of things 1v1; he relies on those switches.

On the plus side, one of the coolest things about Camerupt is the relative success of his explosions (which you only will really get to do after the electric type you came in on switches out) People are skeptical on sending in things that normally would take explosions because they don't want to risk skarmory or forretress taking a STAB Overheat from pretty strong sp. ATK.

The guy just never has seemed to have what it takes to be up to par in OU, unfortunately, and I don't see that changing this gen as all he really gained was stone edge.

situational is, if x pokemon has y attack and r attack anf f attack, it may sweep your team if t pokemon and g pokemon are gone. Blocking anything common electrics have and exploding on incoming pokemon is amazing. Also solid rock makes him my favorite pokemon.

Solid rock doesn't help him very much. Water attacks will KO him regardless, and an earthquake really shouldn't have that much trouble in shutting him down, even with the reduction, as typically you'll get earthquaked by the bigger, stronger physical attackers that just can overkill it anyway. And that's in a best case scenario where you haven't taken stealth rock dmg or any HP grass/ice from the electrics you switched in on.

Most other attacks hit him neutral and hit him rather hard, so his trait does him no good there. It's not really enough to redeem him.

Blocking anything common electrics have and exploding on incoming pokemon is amazing.
And that's primarily the reason I used him so extensively at first. But you must realize that really, his usefulness stops there. He doesn't hit anything that would switch in on him very hard with any move except for explosion, which still a big gamble anyways, and also, the only way he can safely come in on stuff is switching into electrics. You can't even send him in after one of your pokes dies most of the time; everything is so much faster than him and he's o so very fragile. There are simply other pokemon that can fill up one slot on a team much more successfully.

what can really switch into Hp ice / Fire Blast / Explosion / EQ safley. without takeing alot of damage if predicting correctly?

There's not alot that can switch into anything with Explosion safely, for one.

The thing is, at the outset of a battle you will need near-clairvoyant prediction to score damage with any of those attacks not named explosion.

The more you switch in Camerupt to block electric attacks, the more your opponent will know when to predict this and switch to something else. If that something else is Dugtrio, you're screwed and you didn't even get to explode.

Hell, say you succeed in finishing off some random pokemon. Dugtrio will still kill you. Camerupt is just another one of those poor blokes that gets ruined by those stooges, even at full health.

so your saying camerupt is bad if you cant predict. thats obvious. slow pokemon weak to earthquake lose to duggy. Tar is now usless as it dies to duggy after killing somthing.

I never said that Camerupt was useless because it dies to Dugtrio so easily like a lot of slower, more offensively inclined pokemon, but that detail really hampers Camerupt's overall effectiveness. Slow, offensive pokemon just don't fare well in general. Just look at the Smogon Advance OU tier list. Most of the reliable, strong attackers on that list have average-high speed, and the ones that don't make up for it by having solid defensive stats and can take a hit or two. Camerupt has neither speed nor resilience. The main thing it has going for it is how foreign and unfamiliar it is to most OU teams.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I never said that Camerupt was useless because it dies to Dugtrio so easily like a lot of slower, more offensively inclined pokemon, but that detail really hampers Camerupt's overall effectiveness. Slow, offensive pokemon just don't fare well in general. Just look at the Smogon Advance OU tier list. Most of the reliable, strong attackers on that list have average-high speed, and the ones that don't make up for it by having solid defensive stats and can take a hit or two. Camerupt has neither speed nor resilience. The main thing it has going for it is how foreign and unfamiliar it is to most OU teams.

It does, however, Rape all hell on Trick Room teams with its similar brethren Octillery. Cacturne would too if Grass types got access to anything cool besides Grass Rope.

its a good pokemon.. a lot better than a lot of you are giving it credit for. This should only be used if electrics see a rise in play however, you need to be able to switch this guy into more things. Over Heat, Explosion, Earthquake, WoW. Now it does more than pray your opponet doesnt have an answer to firemove+EQ, instead of having to explode in those cases it can now burn something. Niiiice.

Camerupt counters Weezing very nicely, although not as nice as Heatran. I feel Heatran outclasses him in quite a few ways, mostly resistances, but Electric immunity somewhat makes up for it.

If I'd use Camerupt I'd probably chuck Toxic on it. Fire-types, especially Camerupt with his STAB Earthquake, tend to draw out Waters and fliers like Salamence and Gyarados. None of these like being Toxiced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)