ORAS OU Fabled

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

logo by zeno

Hi everyone, Smogon! ♥ This is the 4th RMT I post here and I sincerely hope it will have the same success as the previous ones! The team I want to propose you it's a Balanced that allowed me to finish Aegislash's suspect with incredible easiness and with a respectable win rate, allowing me to reach the top 5 in ladder! (From a Chandelier)

As usual of my teams, I added even this time a more "funny" but not less competitive part. It's been a while I wanted to try a core I consider really functional! The core is Weavile + Shaymin. What do they do togheter? Common switch ins on Shaymin mostly include Zapdos, Togekiss, Latios, Latias, Tornadus-T...All of these pokemon are really weak to Weavile. But even Weavile gains advantage from the presence of Shaymin since this one eliminates bulky waters like Rotom, Suicune, Gastrodon, Alomomola and so on. The good sweeping sinergy between these 2 needs good support, expecially defensively. First of all, I decided to add Rotom-W since it protects me from Talonflame and it's a secondary Check to Keldeo. Rotom-W it's also a respectable switch-in to Azumarill and it is capable to deal with the most furious bulky SD MegaZors. I also decided to add Mega Metagross, because of the weakness to the Fairy Spam, who supports me offensively and gains advantage from Shaymin's grass spam. I needed at that point a core able to switch onto the most dangerous physical threats, like Lopunny for example..so I added a Bulky Garchomp as Setter and a Magic Guard Clefable who is able to deal with the best built stalls by gaining advantage from the pressure that the rest of the team puts onto Heatran.

PREVIEW

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Weavile is one of the stars of the team alongside with the flowered porcupine. I must say that I couldn't appreciate its magnificence before trying it first. One of the fastest megaless mons of this metagame, respectable coverage and discretely wide movepool combined with one of the strongest types of the whole metagame. The unpredictability of this set forces usually the opponent to lose important pokemon like Latias or Latios, fearing the pursuit or also Heatran, hoping Weavile doesn't have Low Kick. And this last move is the strong point of Weavile, since it is capable to hit hard Tyranitar, Magnezone and Heatran. Ice Shard is the only priority of the team, which is often a winning move in the lategame sweep. The undecision was for "Crash or Punch?" At the end I opted for the power of Icicle Crash, which sometimes helped me with random flinches.

Shaymin @ Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Earth Power
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rest

S
haymin! DON'T YOU FIND IT SO DAMN ADORABLE? *____* And yet this delicated cute porcupine is a monstrous weapon. With its not so bad special attack, and a very useful trait considering the fact that it could become serious problem, Shaymin spams its powerful stab with a 50% chance to deal double of the damge in the next turn, or to send even the bulkiest grasses on Hidden Power Fire range. I chose Hidden Power Fire essentially to get rid of Scizor, who can become annoying for Weavile and also to get rid in an easy way of balanced with Gliscor/Slowbro/Ferro/Heatran/Hippowdon which are commonly seen. This Shaymin is able to win almost alone against these kind of teams or at least it can punch huge holes, allowing Weavile or Mega Metagross to clean the field!

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Endure
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail

B
ulky Garchomp is one of these pokemon that the team made me appreciate. By skipiping its not so cute aspect, a well played Garchomp helmet can tears consistent holes through the opponent's team, expecially if it is sent to tank the most useless priorities, like fake outs, or some random quick attack. The opponent will immediately regret of doing so and will try to hit hard, and chomp will tank also this with high probability, finishing the opponent with a dtail. Toxic was preferrred over Fire Blast because I already got fire moves in the team, from fable and shaymin to rotom's wow, so I preferred Toxic in order to clearly invalidate pokemon like Rotom-W, Slowbro or Unaware Fable...and I must say that it works particulary good! Really one of the best existing SR setter of these days!

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

A
bout clefable I doubt there's something particular to say. Clefable became in Oras one of the most versatile pokemon of the metagame, capable of doing comebacks even against the most difficult matchups and it becomes very often the only(if not the simpliest) win condition in certain matches. Magic Guard preferred over Unaware since I play with no defoggers or spinners, and because its often forced to switch onto pokemon like Lopunny, who counters it only if at perfect health. Flamethrower hits basically Bisharp, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Scizor. But you already know these things, so why am I saying them?

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump

S
ince the BW times, Rotom-W covers an important role in this metagame. Despite it recently dropped in usage, it's not obviously to despreciate. It still continues to become an important member for most of my teams thanks to it I managed to win games who I already considered lost. It is important to attract many switch ins who aren't really good for my opponent if I send Weavile or Shaymin, like the latwins, Ferrothorn, ground water mons.

Metagross @ Metagrossite

Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Metagross is probabily one of the most powerful mega evolutions that ORAS ever gave us! It seriously risked to go into ubers, where it could have gone into a bad end, but however he stayed in OU, where he is an undiscussed lord. Despite its stocky aspect, Mega Metagross is really fast, able to tie with Gengar, Latios and Latias! I decided to use this classic set because it was the most fitting one for the team, with Ice Punch which is a great move against Special Defense Scor who could otherwise be annoying.
So heres the finished team! I really hope you liked it and obviously feel free to try it besides it is not really simple to use! Special Thanks to Amber Lamps for the support! On the next time, Smogon!

E.T.T.
Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Earth Power
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rest

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Last edited:
Hey SnowCristal! I really like the fact that you're using a Shaymin on your team, not too many people do that. Gotta give you props for originality. Very neat team you have here, although I see a few things that could change to possibly improve it. So let's get right into it:

• At first glance I noticed that you are running only 24 Speed EVs on Garchomp which doesn't allow you to outspeed Breloom and other base 70's. I recommend change that to 92 Speed EVs and 164+ Defense EVs. You'll outspeed threatening mons such as Bisharp, and as I named earlier, Breloom. Breloom will be able to put your Garchomp to sleep and prevent you from getting your hazards up(Given that you both lead off with these two mons). Outspeeding Bisharp is very crucial because it eliminates the chance of being flinched to death when at low hp opposed to just being able to OHKO with an Earthquake. I'd also consider replacing Toxic with Fire blast, I know you said you've already tried it out and it seemed redundant considering that you already have Fire-type moves on your team, but you'll be surprised how helpful Fire blast on lead chomp really is! Though, this is entirely up to you and isn't required by any means.

• For Clefable, I think the standard mixed spread is of better use than the current one you're running. Here it is:
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower/Knock Off
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

• The extra SpDef will allow you take two hits from Life Orb Thundurus, which may come in handy if you need to set up some Calm Minds late game in order to comeback. Knock Off is just something I like to run on some teams to catch Chansey off-guard and get rid of its Eviolite. Here are some calcs to prove my statement above:
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 165-196 (41.8 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

• As you can see, Life Orb Thunderbolt does just under 50% and with Leftovers you should be completely fine with setting up. Here's some advice with playing Weavile correctly in order to Catch Latias and Latios. You may already know this but I'll let you know anyways. Always try to play super aggressive when you see A Latios, meaning if you're predicting it to come in double switch into Weavile immediately in order to bluff the Pursuit. Do this as early in the game as possible, doing it later in the game may make the player come to the conclusion that you aren't running Pursuit or else you would of made the play earlier. A well played Mega Diancie can punch holes into your team. Try to keep Garchomp and Metagross as healthy as possible if you're facing one. Garchomp has a slight chance, not a huge one but a small chance to live Diancie's Moonblast(Unless it's max Modest)So keep Garchomp healthy. Or try to fit Bullet Punch onto Metagross so you don't have to rely on winning A speed tie. Earth Power will 2HKO Metagross so try to avoid switching directly into Diancie. Attempt to get it to fire off a Moonblast on the switch ,if you do switch directly into it, to avoid getting predicted and losing your Metagross. If all else fails, you could go into Clefable and hope for the best! Clefable will not be 2HKO'd by Diamond Storm if they get a low roll. Here are some calcs just to show the Damage:
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 414-488 (98.5 - 116.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 174-205 (44.1 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
16 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 175-207 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 212-250 (70.4 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 348-412 (144.3 - 170.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 252-296 (104.5 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 102-120 (42.3 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • Your team looks a little weak to stall. I suggest dropping Rotom-W for mixed Thundurus, it demolishes stall and can still serve as a bird check. Here's what the set and spread looks like:
Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
-
Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot
- Superpower

• This is by far one of my favorite Pokemon to use just because of this set. It's so versatile and is very fun to use. This is a very efficient stall-breaking set but that's not the only thing it's great for. Thundurus will also help with your Slowbro weakness so you don't have to run Grass Knot on Metagross which is always appreciated. I'll walk you through each move and describe what it does. Thunderbolt is standard on every Thundurus no matter what, this is the STAB that you want in order to hit mons hard. Knock off is for Lati@s and disposing of Chansey's Eviolite. Knock off does a ton of more damage to the Lati twins than Hidden Power Ice will ever do(It should be an OHKO every time, unless they're running some Physically defensive variant). By knocking off Chansey's Eviolite, it'll lose it's boost in it's bulk allowing you to do a significant amount of damage to it with other attacks. Which brings us to our next move, Superpower. Superpower is fantastic for taking out Chansey, Blissey, Tyranitar and much more. It hits all of these Pokemon for SE(Super-Effective) damage. Here's some calcs to show you how much it does too Chansey with and without it's Eviolite:
64 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 354-419 (50.2 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
64 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chansey: 530-624 (75.2 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • I recommend this set to almost everyone who needs a bird check and something to deal with stall. As you can see you'll be dealing a great amount of damage to Chansey, especially with it's Eviolite gone. But beware, Superpower does lower your attack stat by one stage so it'll be doing less damage with each use, so try not to spam it too often. Now as for Tyranitar, It should be an OHKO every time no matter what spread they run(Given you get the correct roll). Superpower is hitting tyranitar for 4x damage which is twice as much damage than a regular Super-Effective move. You'll want to get rid of Tyranitar because of it's ability to take out Thundurus with one Stone Edge or with a Pursuit as you switch out trying to avoid taking a hit from it. Here's a calc to prove how much damage Superpower does:
64 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 364-432 (90.3 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
  • As you can see, even with max defense and near max hp Investment you'll still have a chance to OHKO. Though this spread isn't very common so expect an OHKO every time. Onto our final move, Grass Knot. Grass knot is for hitting Mega-Swampert and Quagsire. That's all it really is for, Quagsire is most commonly ran on stall which again is why this set is a Stall-Breaking set. They'll switch Quagsire in on a Thunderbolt expecting it to be safe and then you can take it out with a Grass Knot and just like that you're one step closer to the win. With Quagsire gone, Clefable will be free to set up and just finish the game.
Everything else on your team looks fine. In all honesty, your team even without the changes I suggested looks solid. I hope I somewhat helped and good luck with the team!

Last edited:
Hey SnowCristal, this is a solid team you got there, i really like your idea of using shaymin in ORAS OU, it definitly owns in my opinion. For my part i don't have major change to suggest but i can give you some tips that can make your team better i guess.
  • Your main weakness here is probably Charizard X, indeed he can find a way to setup pretty easily especially against Shaymin and Clefable (assuming he did not mega evolve) and then sweep your entire team more or less. You have to keep Rotom healthy which is almost impossible in end game and Weavile won't do enough damage with Ice Shard even after Rocky Helmet / Rough Skin recoil from Garchomp. I'd suggest Endure over Toxic on Garchomp, it's not what you can call a super check but it's the best you can do for your team without making it worst, after some calcs i noticed that after having used endure and then died, Charizard-X was almost in Ice Shard kill with a roll, so now if your opponent is trying to set up on Shaymin or Clefable, all you have to do is hit with one move to make sure you can revenge kill it with Ice shard + Rocky Helmet / Rough Skin x2 damage.
  • Then in all honesty you may struggle a lot against diancie mega, since your only one reliable check is Metagross and it can lose to tie which is lame, that's why i'd suggest to put Bullet punch instead of Ice Punch on Metagross, now you will be safer against Diancie because no tie and also because you will be able to revenge kill thing such as Altaria Dragon Dance which can be dangerious in endgame, while now you can kill it with bullet punch + Ice shard combo. Then your team is not that weak against Ground types so you don't really need Ice Punch and clefable can wall Garchom anyway.
  • My last suggest is to swap Low Kick with Pursuit on Weavile, that's simple, your team is pretty weak to Gengar, it might be cool to have something that can limit its switch in or trap him, then you maybe forgot that Gengar is also a good Shaymin check, so if you cant handle him shaymin will be too pressured, while now you will be able to trap it and make it less annoying, same for Latios / Latias since they are decent Shaymin's checks. The lack of Low Kick doesn't matter since Knock off can hard touch Heatran / Magnezone and Tyranitar is not annoying for your team in addition to get fucked by Garchomp's recoils.
I hope I helped and good luck with your team.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Thanks for all these suggestions! I'll change these things:

- Endure>Toxic Garchomp (Changing the spread suggested by Facts)
- Bullet Punch > Ice Punch

And I'll try the rest. But in all honesty I think i won't use Fire Blast on Garchomp and I think I Won't use Knoff fable too since Flamethrower is one of my weapon against Bisharp (And without Garchomp is pretty hard to tank) and Excadrill.

Last edited:
Hello Snowy!
I really like your team (like all the others lol), I tried out on ladder and it works nicely! But i noticed that this team has a critical weakness in Mega Charizard Y, you have 0 switchins for that as Clefable gets 2hkod and Garchomp can't do much in Return... Shaymin is a just a free switchin for Zardy and will literally kill 1 Poke everytime it comes in '-'.
I think Rotom-W is a nice addition to the team but i think an other electric type would fit here better like AV Raikou. It still lets u get momentum and can tank a few hits and help u with stuff like MManectric or Thundurus and stuff.
Hope i helped u!!

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi Snow i just wanna complement some Leftiez post about Metagross i think u should run Hammer Arm > EQ just because hit every steel type super effective and in general is a better coverage ! other than that really solid team, hope i help u and gl

Hmpf. Played a bit of ladder with this and got sticky webbed every game -_-. Anyways, it's very annoying to play vs sticky web.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)