SM OU Fairly New To Competitive Teams, One Of The First Teams I Made Somewhat Myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Introduction

I'm fairly new to competitive teams, I usually only play Pokemon casually, but I want to try competitive teams, so I somewhat made this team myself (I tried to be a bit different from Smogon's teams.)

Anyways, here is my team:

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Destiny Bond
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
I heard how Mimikyu was so good with its disguise ability, so I put it on my team. It outspeeds most pokemon, and it can sweep a bit. I usually Destiny Bond when I have nothing else to do. Main issues are Pokemon that outspeed it.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
When I saw how Magic Guard works, I was a bit shocked at it. It is funny to see people struggle against this set when they try and leech seed/toxic it. Biggest issues are Iron types and physical attackers.

Venusaur (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
I love Venusaur as my starter so it made sense to put the Mega on my team. And let's just say leech seed and thick fat does wonders against Heatran. And it's a good wall due to immunity from leech seed and toxic. The main issues are Physic and Flying types.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 224 HP / 20 Atk / 44 Def / 108 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Toxic
This is a fun set to use, toxic while stalling with roost + poison heal. Although any Ice-type move is a guaranteed 2HKO, and grass types also pose an issue.

Greninja-Ash (Greninja) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Rock Slide
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch
This is a physical Choice Scarfed Protean set. I tried out the mixed set on Smogon, didn't like it, and tried out this set, and it's been a fun set to use. I outspeed everything I come across. Main issues are paralysis and burns.

Victini @ Normalium Z
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- Celebrate
- Flare Blitz
- Zen Headbutt
- Brick Break
I saw the Z-Celebrate Victini, and I didn't really like the Focus Blast accuracy. I debated on switching to a physical set with these moves or use Hidden Power Fighting. I chose this and it's pretty good. Once Z-Celebrate is set-up I can bulk any super-effective attack and outspeed almost anything. Although now that it's physical, it doesn't get a ton of 120 BP moves and now it's a little underpowered, but it still works pretty good. Although this set needs to get a free move to do Z-Celebrate, and Victini sometimes doesn't outspeed then and could be hit with paralysis, although luckily since this is a fire type I won't be needing to worry about burns.

Conclusion

Yeah this is just a team I've somewhat come up with, with some variations from Smogon. It does pretty well but I would like to nail any last weak points I have.

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Destiny Bond
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam

Venusaur (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 224 HP / 20 Atk / 44 Def / 108 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Greninja-Ash (Greninja) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Rock Slide
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

Victini @ Normalium Z
Jolly Nature
- Celebrate
- Flare Blitz
- Zen Headbutt
- Brick Break

Excellent team, which is why I gave you a like for it! If you ever want to run a harder-hitting version, try CB Entei with Bulldoze/Flare Blitz/Extreme Speed/Will-O-Wisp over Victini for excellent and fierce fire sweeping to plow over the defensive meta offensively!
-Alex Amaterasu (Deschutes)

I like the idea behind the team (z-celebrate victini is an underrated mon), but the team has some serious issues against some threats.

Threatlist:

Key: Red-Massive threat, Orange-Big/Moderate threat, Yellow-Mild threat

Kyureum-B: This mon just rips through the team. Both the idiom set and life rod set have a very strong matchup against all your mons, coming in free against venusaur-mega and gliscor and firing off strong ice attacks. Greninja can be dealt with using fusion bolt while victini is prone to being worn down by a few ice beams or get smacked by earth power. Furthermore, teravolt, kyureum-b’s ability allows it to ignore venusaur-mega’s thick fat and mimikyu’s disguise.

Hazards: Unless a team is HO, every team needs hazard removal and this team is no exception. Without hazard removal, mons like venusaur-mega and victini get worn down very quickly, and become unable to sweep or check the mons that they need to check.

Rain: This team has a massive weakness to rain too. Rain is able to come in and just sweep through. While venusaur may be able to check rain, rain halves synthesis’s healing, and the lack to hazard removal means that it will be quickly worn down by hazards from rain mons like ferrothorn and ash-gren and then it won’t be able to beat mons like swampert and ash-gran allowing then to sweep the team easily.

Alakazam-Mega: Alakazam Mega has a good matchup against the team, setting up against clefable, venusaur, and gliscor easily (trace copies poison heal if you toxic). Furthermore, Greninja can not revenge it cleanly without u-turn and victini is vulnerable to being worn down. However, mimikyu can revenge kill it if disguise and focus sash is not broken, though this is unlikely.

Stall: Stall poses a major threat to the team since that it can easily wall out members of your team while also wearing it down with hazards.

Ash-Greninja: Ash-Greninja has a very good matchup against the team. Venausaur is the closest thing to a check on this team, and even then it is a shaky one at best, taking a good chunk from specs boosted dark pulse, and with a lack of a hazard remover, this problem is definitely compounded. Ash-Greninja can just also freely set up Spikes to also wear down switchin’s like Greninja and mimikyu that attempt to emergency check it.

Strong Flying Types: The team has not flying resists so mons like Tornadus therian and pinsir mega easily do a lot of damage to the team. Pinsir is especially deadly, as it has priority that can pick off Greninja at +2 after a bit of chip, and can deal major damage to the team with mimikyu only to act as a one time check towards it. Tornadus is also a major threat as flynium-z sets can nuke clefable and gliscor.

Gyarados/Gyarados-Mega: Both Gyarados and its mega form have a good matchup against the team, but both have different checks to it albeit those checks are not very strong ones. Gyarados is checked by mimikyu and Greninja while Gyarados mega is checked by clefable. The real difficulty of checking it is telling which Gyarados is the one you are facing. If you send mimikyu on a +1 Gyarados and it turn out to be mega, you lose a mon. Similarity, if you send out clefable and it turns out to be flynium Gyarados, you lose a mon.

Volcarona: Volcarona is a big threat to the team as there are not hard checks on the team to stop it from sweeping. Both Greninja and mimikyu can revenge a boosted volcarona, but to get in unharmed requires a sack. If Volcarona catches Greninja on the switch with bug buzz, then it easily sweeps the team.

Heatran: Heatran is a major threat to the team, and becomes significantly harder to deal with with grassy terrain support. With grassy terrain, gliscor can not 1hko Heatran, and in turn is 1hkod by inferno overdrive, and mons like venusaur and clefable can not even touch Heatran. Only victini and Greninja can damage it after gliscor is kod, andboth should be wary of coverage moves like earth power

Magearna: Magearna can be somewhat hard to check as some shift gear sets are hard predict in terms of what the other 3 moves are (thunderbolt, ice beam, fleur cannon, aura sphere, flash cannon, calm mind, pain split). This makes it hard to check since you may not know what it is running.

Tyranitar: Tyranitar also poses a minor threat to the team as nothing likes to take choice band boosted stone edges and also sandstorm chips down the team while halving synthesis’s recovery. Furthermore, it can also surprise hit gliscor with ice punch.

Changes:

I don’t feel like this team supports celebrate victini well enough to allow it to sweep late game, and so there is going to be some major changes to the team.

Overview:
Victini set change
Greninja -> Ash-Greninja
Mimikyu -> Tyranitar-Mega
Clefable -> Toxapex
Venusaur -> Tapu Bulu
Gliscor -> Tornadus-Therian

Physical celebrate victini -> Special celebrate victini: Special celebrate victini is basically superior to the physical variant in all ways. Special victini has a powerful stored power reaching 120 bp, and importantly allowing for the ko of specially defensive Toxapex after stealth rock something that Zen Headbutt fails to do, allowing Toxapex to haze away the boosts and thus stopping the sweep. Another advantage of special victini is that searing shot does not have recoil damage, allowing Toxapex to take more hits, and prevents it from getting revenge killed easily by priority mons like ash-greninja and pinsir-mega.

+1 252 SpA Victini Stored Power (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 276-326 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
+1 252 Atk Victini Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 228-270 (75 - 88.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Victini @ Normalium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Searing Shot
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

Greninja -> Ash-Greninja: Ash Greninja pairs very well with victini, beating certain checks like Tyranitar and bulky psychic types like lati@s-mega and reunicles for it. In turn victini can pressure bulky grass types like tangrowth, ferrothorn, and Tapu Bulu that are used to check ash-greninja. Ash Greninja can also support victini by setting up Spikes, wearing down mons on the other side of the team, facilitating an easier late game sweep by victini.

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Clefable -> Toxapex and Venusaur-Mega -> Tapu Bulu: These 2 changes are lumped together as the provide a solid defensive core. Bulu covers toxapex’s weakness to ground and electric types moves, and Toxapex covers Bulu’s weaknesses to fire and poison types moves. Grassy terrain from Bulu halves earthquake damage, supporting ground weak teammates like Tyranitar-mega, Victini, and toxapex. Also, toxic Spikes from toxapex wears down ash-Greninja switch ins like tangrowth and Tapu Bulu. Also, they act as solid rain checks, beating back mons like kingdra, swampert-mega, and ash-greninja and preventing them from sweeping.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Protect

Mimikyu -> Tyranitar-Mega: Tyranitar-Mega helps support victini by pursuit trapping bulky psychic types like lati@s-mega/reunicles and ghost type scarfers like blacephelon and gengar, preventing them from walling/revenge killing victini during its sweep. Tyranitar-mega acts as the team’s stealth rock user, and benefits from grassy terrain support from bulu, allowing it to take earthquakes more easily. Fire punch is run to take care of mons like ferrothorn and Scizor-mega.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Gliscor -> Tornadus-Therian: Tornadus therian provides many things to the team. First of all, it acts as a defogger for the team, clearing hazards and prevent the team from being worn down. Additionally, it also acts as a pivot, bringing in mons like Rotom-wash and zapdos, which can be take advantage of by Tapu Bulu and Tyranitar respectively. Furthermore, it is a check to Scarf Kartana, and can revenge kill pinsir mega, 2 threats to the team.

Conclusion:

Hopefully my suggestions have been useful.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Protect

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Victini @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Searing Shot
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

TPP

A Doll's Beginning
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)