Fake Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Only Council of the term are required to post here. Failure to comply will result in warning and possible infraction.

Fake Out - Normal | Physical | Adjacent Target | 4 BAP | 100% Acc | 4 EN Cost | -- Eff% | Contact: Yes | 3 Prio | Combo Type: Set | Snatch: No | Magic Coat: No
The Pokemon strikes the opponent with immense swiftness using their hands/paws, creating a shockwave of air that pushes the opponent back, causing them to flinch. In Switch=KO, Fake Out only flinches on the Pokemon's first use of the move, even if resetting effects like Circle Throw, Dragon Tail, Roar, U-turn, Teleport, Volt Switch, or Whirlwind used by it or against it. In Switch=OK, Fake Out may only flinch if the Pokemon using the move hasn't used it since it was last sent out. Fake Out can still damage opponents after its first use since the Pokemon was sent out; it simply cannot flinch them.
What should we do in order to decimate petty arguments about combining Fake Out?
a) Shortening the description to: "The Pokemon strikes the opponent with immense swiftness using their appendages, causing them to flinch."
b) Making Fake Out non-contact.
c) Making Fake Out's CT: None.

Let's go FMD / Maxim / Matezoide / Texas Cloverleaf.

The shockwave thing comes from the anime. While we have used it as reference, that goes against the way the move actually works in-game. Getting rid of the description is a bit lame, but it is the best way to avoid annoying arguments and keeping the move's functionality.

If Fake Out becomes too game-breaking with combinations, we can change it to none. I wasnt here for the actual Fake Out discussion, so my vote is subject to change.

Since re-vote is a thing because of the new option, and after extra consideration.

D)

ediZt: He said C) in the end.

This whole thing just felt silly for me. I came to the conclusion i simply do not have an actual opnion here. Sorry.

On a side note, Zheng, Fake Out does not fail after it's first use in ASB. It simply can not flinch, but the attack itself still works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
c
b
a

+4 priority combos that negate an action are fundamentally flawed in the same way that sucker punch+vicegrip was

C

Fake Out is a clap because that's not only what it is in the anime, but also what its Japanese name references and what its animation is in the game. It's contact because GameFreak is stupid. These two things don't work together at all, but I feel like changing the contact status or description of this move would only lead to something worse.

a) Shortening the description to: "The Pokemon strikes the opponent with immense swiftness using their appendages, causing them to flinch."

Honestly, I'm not convinced that Fake Out needs to get the nerf hammer, especially when the original issue has very little to do with how powerful Fake Out is. As far as I'm concerned the issue at hand is "how does this work flavorwise with combos" not "Fake Out is broken, and we need to fix it". I wouldn't be opposed to talking about CT: None at a later point, but right now I think it's a pointless nerf. Also making it non-contact would make sense, but differs from in-game too much for my tastes.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
b)
a)
c)

Yes, if anime precedence looks like it might not break the game, I'd love the opportunity to go for it. Other than that, I agree with Maxim. Fake Out's only use in a combo is to either overpower Endure at the cost of incurring the cooldown action, or as a one-shot damaging priority combo (remember, Fake Out fails after its first use, so spending a second use on a combo means you fail the entire combo), so CT: None seems a little too much.

..... Majority on a) just as I realised I forgot the "Do Nothing" option. Any Council member that wishes to revote in lieu of this (huehuehue bureaucratic bastardy) please like this post. EDIT: You have, uhm, 36 hours.

Last edited:

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
Let's do this, again.

Fake Out - Normal | Physical | Adjacent Target | 4 BAP | 100% Acc | 4 EN Cost | -- Eff% | Contact: Yes | 3 Prio | Combo Type: Set | Snatch: No | Magic Coat: No
The Pokemon strikes the opponent with immense swiftness using their hands/paws, creating a shockwave of air that pushes the opponent back, causing them to flinch. In Switch=KO, Fake Out only flinches on the Pokemon's first use of the move, even if resetting effects like Circle Throw, Dragon Tail, Roar, U-turn, Teleport, Volt Switch, or Whirlwind used by it or against it. In Switch=OK, Fake Out may only flinch if the Pokemon using the move hasn't used it since it was last sent out. Fake Out can still damage opponents after its first use since the Pokemon was sent out; it simply cannot flinch them.
What should we do in order to decimate petty arguments about combining Fake Out?
d) Do nothing and let it remain as is.

Please do try to list out your options in favoured order. And re-read the arguments being posted for each side to understand the merits / consequences of each option before deciding on it. FMD / Maxim / Matezoide / Texas Cloverleaf

ZhengTann

Nargacuga

My stance remains. I'd love to follow in-anime precedence over in-catridge, when the former does not break the game as far as I know of. Also I still support Maxim's previous conclusion that this is intended to clarify whether Fake Out is contact or not only - CT seems out of place as a solution.

It looks like D wins, but holding off on making an official declaration until Zt comes by because there seems to be a bit of uncertainty about how this works on IRC.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
When in doubt, head to Wikipedia.
wiki said:
  • If a candidate secures more than half of these votes, that candidate wins.
  • Otherwise, the candidate in last place is eliminated and removed from consideration.
  • The top remaining choices on all the ballots are then counted again.
  • This process repeats until one candidate is the top remaining choice of a majority of the voters.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
By process of elimination, d) is the only choice left. We'll defer to referee discretion on Fake Out combos, as we used to. Side note: you should still be more assertive FMD :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)