Favourites Over the Generations - Currently Number 13 (1817 ELO)

Hello Smogon,
I've been a lurker for a very long time here and a fan of Pokemon since RBY, however I didn't get into the competitive scene until Diamond and that was mainly against friends on wi-fi. Recently I took an interest in Pokemon Showdown and wanted to try out a Pokebank team I thought of before Pokebank was due over here (and it's a good job I did, since it's now delayed). I imposed restrictions on myself because I wanted the team as diverse as possible and to make things more challenging when it came to team building; I've used one Pokemon from every generation, I haven't repeated a type and I follow item clause. I feel the team strikes a good balance between originality and being genuinely threatening, but I've hit a recent slump which is why I've come here for advice.

First of all, the team building process. I think Mega Mawile is an absolutely awesome mega, and totally wanted to give it a shot. I normally play fast and frail but that doesn't cut it in the current metagame, and thought Mega Mawile would be a perfect answer to the bulky, slow threats that plague the metagame today. 259 base attack factoring huge power was too much to resist, so Mega Mawile became the focus of the team.

Mega Mawile is susceptible to burn and doesn't have any good recovery despite having somewhat decent bulk, so I wanted to add a wish passer cleric to remedy this. Umbreon has always been a favourite of mine and with the indirect dark buff, I thought this was the perfect time for him to shine in OU. Furthermore, Umbreon is mainly threatened by bulky fighting types, which Mega Mawile confidently answers (especially Conkeldurr).

Mega Mawile definitely wanted at least stealth rocks if it was going to sweep, especially as fire types were one of the biggest problems it faced. Gen V introduced my favourite stealth rocker of all time and I felt this was the perfect time to use him. Providing key resistances for the team, Landorus-T eats fighting type attacks like they're nothing, and is unaware of opposing earthquakes, however with a base 145 attack, the opponent will certainly be aware of his.

Next I was looking for a Pokemon that could also provide momentum alongside Landorus-T, giving me more opportunities to bring in Mawile safely. I looked at Rotom-W but can't stand how much he is used. However, Rotom-H was the perfect mon I needed. It resists the only two weaknesses Mega Mawile has, and also provided a second fairy resist. It also has a powerful STAB Overheat, decimating the likes of Ferrothorn that like to give Mega Mawile a hard time. It also provided a perfect answer to Genesect, as it resists everything it runs.

I liked how the team was shaping up but was concerned about the water weakness. I also definitely needed a rapid spinner as Rotom-H was crucial to check certain threats and stealth rocks wore it down. It's for this reason I decided to run Starmie, an excellent Pokemon that has thrived in OU since the RBY days. Whilst many think this generation will be the one Starmie falls, I still had faith in analytic shenanigans and an awesome movepool. Starmie also brought some much needed speed to the team.

Finally, I needed a Pokemon from the XY generation that could help with where my team struggled. I wanted something that could take special hits well, as Umbreon was mainly physical as was Landorus-T. I also wanted another water resist, and something that could hit fairly hard. Goodra seemed like the perfect answer. One of the few Pokemon that can comfortably take on Charizard-Y, Goodra provideds outstanding special walling as well as decent firepower. Goodra could also retain momentum against sleep power users, and punish switch ins with fantastic coverage. With that, I had my team:

Now for EVs, items and movesets:

Starmie Sprite.png

Patrick (Starmie) @ Expert Belt Life Orb

Ability: Analytic

EVs: 252 Spd / 128 HP / 126 SAtk / 4 Def
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Hydro Pump

- Ice Beam

- Thunderbolt Psyshock

- Rapid Spin

Starmie has been an absolute favourite of mine since Misty slaughtered my 7 year old self with it. It's generally believed that Starmie struggled with the recent generation shift but I still find it threatens a lot of things and does its job successfully. I run an expert belt set with the above EVs to always survive +6 mystic Water Azumarill aqua jet after stealth rock (which otherwise wrecks this team), avoid giving Genesect a more powerful U-turn, and to balance firepower with some helpful bulk, but I'm concerned about the power loss compared to 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def LO. Following suggestions, I went for a more standard LO set. The power increase is extremely helpful and I can still handle Azumarill appropriately if I play well. It's a shame about the pursuit weakness that burdens Starmie but that being said, if I play well and predict correctly, Starmie is very rewarding and is always good fun to use regardless. Hydro pump is for STAB and to decimate switch ins. Ice beam is for dragons and also threatens Trevenant if it thinks it can spin block me. Thunderbolt is for Gyarados, Azumarill, and various other bulky water types and provides great coverage with Ice Beam. Psyshock helps me deal with threatening fighting types and also scares Mega Venusaur, who otherwise has a field day with Starmie. Rapid Spin is vital for hazard control and ensures Rotom-H doesn't get worn down by SR.

Umbreon.jpg

YamIbulky? (Umbreon) (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Synchronize

Shiny: Yes

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef

Bold Nature

- Heal Bell

- Wish

- Protect

- Foul Play

My first level 100 in Silver version, Umbreon is fantastic glue for the team and can take on the role of cleric, status spreader (thanks to synchronize), wish passer or wall. I chose to go for a bold Umbreon to wall physical threats and make more efficient use of Foul Play, by being able to comfortably switch in on strong physical attackers and punish them. The EV spread is to nearly max physical bulk, with the remaining 16 thrown into special defense to hit a nice round 300. Umbreon is often underestimated yet provides great answers to threatening attackers like substitute Kyurem-B and Aegislash. This EV spread allows Umbreon to also comfortably shrug off U-turns, with standard Genesect doing 40.1% maximum as long as it doesn't have an attack boost. Heal bell allows Umbreon to rid the team of status whilst comfortably spreading it back to the opponent. Wish allows me to heal up the team and helps a great deal with creating safe switch ins. Protect is for scouting, additional leftovers recovery and works perfectly with wish, and foul play is to attack and prevent Umbreon from being set up bait. Umbreon definitely has problems with certain threats, particularly strong fighting types, but that is what the other team slots are for. Overall, I've been incredibly impressed with the amount of threats Umbreon can take on.

Mega Mawile.png

Brodie (Mawile) (F) @ Mawilite

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 136 Spd / 252 Atk / 122 HP

Adamant Nature

- Sucker Punch

- Play Rough

- Swords Dance

- Knock Off Brick Break

Mawile is the mega on the team and shows absolutely no mercy. An Adamant nature is used to maximize attack with 136 EVs in speed to outspeed important base 65s like Scizor and Jellicent as well as speed creep opposing Mawile with the same idea. The remaining EVs are thrown into HP to add some bulk, which helps a great deal combined with Intimidate. Mega Mawile provides an amazing answer to Conkeldurr, as it can take advantage of Knock Off spam and responds with a clean KO. Sucker punch is for brutal priority coming off effectively 259 base attack, and Play rough is for fantastic STAB resisted only by steel, fire and poison. Knock off may seem redundant as it doesn't provide additional coverage, however knock off from a Mega Mawile wrecks and is perfect for crippling counters like Heatran and Skarmory. As Mega Mawile forces so many switches, I almost find it mandatory now. Knock off also surprises Aegislash that think they can come in on a predicted sucker punch/resisted play rough. I find with this moveset that Mawile threatens all types of teams, from hyper offense to stall. After struggling to dispose of Heatran, I tried brick break and it's proven to be really useful, with potential to KO 252/0 Heatran after just one stealth rock switch in. I experimented with taunt, sub focus punch, and sub swords dance, but I feel the above set has been the most successful.

Rotom-H.png

Cupcakes (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 176 Spd / 6 Def / 248 SAtk / 80 HP

Modest Nature

- Overheat

- Trick

- Will-O-Wisp

- Volt Switch

The underestimated sibling of Rotom-W, Rotom-H has put in incredible work for this team. The EV spread is to outspeed max speed Greninja, provide maximum firepower and add a bit of bulk to take advantage of fantastic defensive typing. Overheat is a brilliant STAB move that wrecks Steel types (with the exception of Heatran), Trick is fantastic for crippling bulky counters like Chansey, and will-o-wisp provides status, and can be life saving when factoring in the choice scarf against an opposing speedy threat. Volt switch is the main move however, providing momentum for my team and working brilliantly in conjunction with Landorus-T. Rotom-H comfortably absorbs the burns aimed at Mawile, and happily takes on Ground and Fire moves. Furthermore, Rotom-H answers Mega Pinsir and Talonflame, two major threats to any team. I have been incredibly impressed with Rotom-H but I really rely on Starmie spinning efficiently, as Rotom-H is worn down with ease if they're on the field.

Landorus-T.jpg

Fluffy (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 248 Def / 248 HP / 14 Spd
EVs: 232 Def / 248 HP / 14 Spd / 16 Atk

Naughty Adamant Nature

- Earthquake

- Hidden Power [Ice] Stone Edge

- Stealth Rock

- U-turn​

Landorus-T is my favourite of the gen V trio and always manages to do its job successfully. The set is generic and unoriginal but that's because it works. Earthquake is for brutal STAB coming off a base 145 attack. Hidden power [ice] is because Gliscor is a massive pain if allowed to set up, and many Gliscor feel Landorus-T is the perfect opportunity to do so. Stone edge means I have to be careful of Gliscor switching in, but allows me to deal with Dragonite and Zapdos much more comfortably. Stealth rock is to provide hazard support for my team, which greatly aids in me wearing down the opponent over time. U-turn is to provide momentum, and works perfectly with Landorus-T as it threatens a ton of Pokemon thanks to Intimidate. The EV spread is to be as physically bulky as possible whilst also outspeeding 44 speed Rotom-W, who just loves to hydro pump me to death. Rocky helmet may seem an odd choice of item with Kangaskhan banished to the Uber realm, but I find it works brilliantly on Landorus-T, especially when it comes to absorbing u-turns. I used to run knock off but missed hidden power [ice], and it seemed redundant with Mega Mawile providing a much more powerful one.

Goodra.png

Flubber (Goodra) (F) @ Assault Vest

Ability: Sap Sipper

EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef

Quiet Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Dragon Tail

- Thunderbolt

- Flamethrower​

My absolute favourite Pokemon, Goodra is absolutely awesome and provides excellent bulk to take on the threatening special attackers in the metagame. I'm using a generic set because I feel it is the best use of Goodra. The EVs provide a nice balance between bulk and firepower. However whilst I wouldn't dream of taking Goodra off the favourites team, I can never agree on the moveset. I find draco meteor and dragon tail vital, but I'm uneasy on the coverage moves. Thunderbolt is for bulky waters like Azumarill, as well as the ever annoying Togekiss. Flamethrower is fantastic for predicted Genesect switch ins and makes Goodra a perfect answer to Ferrothorn. In terms of other moves, power whip isn't worth it for Rotom-W as Goodra handles him well already and most Rotom-W outspeed. Earthquake seems like a great option to lure Heatran, especially when considering it's Mega Mawile's sworn enemy, but I can't decide on which coverage move to give up. I also considered sludge bomb since fairies can be such a pain, but the coverage it provides is fairly inferior in most situations. 4MSS aside, Goodra has saved me plenty of times and always pulls its weight. Sap sipper is the chosen ability because being able to absorb sleep powder is incredibly useful. Furthermore, sap sipper makes Goodra a better answer to Mega Venusaur, who plagues this (and basically every other) team.

Final Notes
After making the above changes with the help of the feedback I've been given, this team has managed to ascend the ladder all the way to the 13th spot. However, Azumarill is still a massive worry if I don't predict correctly. I also really miss having a knock off user, but I'm not sure where there's room on this team as all the moves seem fairly vital. Fairies in general are still a major nuisance if Mawile is gone and Rotom has tricked his scarf away, but at this point I find it's hard to edit this team without creating holes in other areas. If anybody has any further suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed my first RMT (and post).

Attachments

Last edited:
hey I think I saw you on the ladder, yeah i defintely did. I was able to beat your team so I hope I can help. I was the one with the lead scarf greninja that killed rotom-h first turn. (no one expects my scarf greninja yet lol) that is until i make my RMT...

Anyway I remember my conkeldurr put in a lot of work on this team, mainly because starmie switched into knock off. But even then... I now realize you didnt have a psychic move. So i recommend switching out hydro pump for psyshock, mainly because you have expert belt and bolt beam is such great coverage. And withouht psyshock you kind of just have to hope to wear conk down.

I dont want to change any pokes because this team is really good, so i feel limited in what else I should recommend. But the mawile set seems different me, I found the sub punching set to be very good especially against heatran. But if taht set is working for you then obviously stick to it.

I have to go now, but if you have any specific questions, just ask

Good team and very detailed rmt good hob and good luck!

Haha, yeah I remember facing you. Caught me off guard with the scarf first turn kill, but I also made some really poor plays. Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.

Conkeldurr itself normally isn't too much of an issue as long as I have Mega Mawile, however I am debating using psyshock, particularly because Mega Venusaur loves to heal up when I have Starmie on the field and analytic expert belt psyshock could wreck it on the switch. However I love hydro pump despite the miss chance and water STAB is always useful, so I'm unsure on the trade off. I think I'll wait on more feedback before play testing any suggestions.

Thanks again!

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I agree that Starmie is still a good Pokemon, but you're using it as an inferior Greninja with Rapid Spin.
Try out this set. I've recommended this to a lot of people, but that's because it's a good set.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover

This set focuses on Starmie's natural strengths over Greninja, bulk and Rapid Spin. Use Natural Cure over Analytic, because that makes Starmie double as a status absorber.

Hi BenTheDemon,

I appreciate what you're saying and the utility of the suggested moveset, however I am not sure it is the best solution for my team. I say this because I appreciate Starmie having a little firepower, and with the above set I would struggle against certain threats Starmie checks currently, like Thundurus-T, Azumarill, etc. I would use Greninja but Rapid Spin is vital, which is why I chose Starmie. With wish and heal bell, and the majority of the team able to absorb status, I do prefer analytic, again for power reasons. However if you can give me an argument as to why the above set is better for my team specifically, I'd appreciate it and will give it a shot.

Yes, I have to agree, you have a pretty big problem against AV Conkeldurr as only Mawile can take it and even then it won't like taking constant Drain Punches. I'd recommend swapping Umbreon for something like Sylveon that can perform the same role. You have AV Goodra to take special Aegislash and Landorus-T to take physical ones.

I was toying with the idea of using Sylveon over Umbreon, so I'll definitely give that a shot. It would also make Gliscor less annoying since I hate sub toxic variants. I'll see how that change goes. :)

Just thought I'd point this out, but if you use Sylveon over Umbreon, you'll have fairy types and two Gen VI pokemon, which goes against your goals. Aside from that, they have slightly different movesets, and so play different variations of the same main role. I don't know which is better for your team right now, so give it a shot for yourself and find out. Nice formatting btw. Good luck with the team!

Thanks for the reply The Derpy Chicken. I tried out Sylveon but wasn't happy about how it took away the goals I set for the team. Furthermore, I never realised how much Umbreon takes the pressure off Landorus-T in regards to incoming physical attacks. It's for that reason Umbreon remains, as do the team weaknesses mentioned in the OP.

Umbreon does nothing against U-turn spam and Superpower. Unless you like getting smashed in by AV Conkeldurr, you sort of need a check whether it be in Mega-Venusaur or a Fairy-type.

Umbreon does nothing against U-turn spam and Superpower. Unless you like getting smashed in by AV Conkeldurr, you sort of need a check whether it be in Mega-Venusaur or a Fairy-type.
Umm... you realize that Landorus-T resists both U-turn and Superpower, right? Like seriously. That's what the other five pokemon are for. You don't need for it to beat frickin everything. Just what its teammates can't. Just looking at which pokes he has on the team, you can think, "theoretically, Starmie, Mawile, and Landorus-T are capable of hitting Conkeldurr with a super effective STAB attack, which means they could all in theory take out or heavily damage Conk." You need to think about what the rest of the team can do before you say something needs to change.

Umbreon actually does really well against the likes of non-Choice Band Scizor, as it can't afford to set up due to Foul Play and U-turn is tolerable damage. Furthermore, if I Wish on the switch in I can comfortably get Mawile in on full health to punish whoever Conk switches out to far more than U-turns punish me (rocky helmet and stealth rocks punishes U-turn spam further). Mega Venusaur is everybody's go to guy at the moment but I'm focused on using Mawile and not a fan of him to begin with, mainly due to playstyle. Umbreon is one of those rare cases where he's far better in practise than on paper and I say that after extensive use.

Great team. I have a few minor suggestions. First, I'd use fully offensive Starmie, as he has shit bulk, anyway, and won't be living many hits. Also, I'd use Psyshock, Ice Beam, and Hydro Pump. Thunderbolt you have on Goodra. Speaking of which, two Dragon moves is unnecessary in my opinion. Why not Sludge Wave over Dragon Tail? Or even something like Ice Beam? Also, I really recommend Stone Edge on Lando-T, for Talonflame, Volc, Pinsir, and especially Dragonite, who it hits on it's lower defense, and who you perfectly counter with it. I'm not completely sold on Knock Off on Mawile, personally, I'd go with Fire Fang, but that's your choice, good sir. Congrats on the ranking, and much Ludvisc.

Umm... you realize that Landorus-T resists both U-turn and Superpower, right? Like seriously. That's what the other five pokemon are for. You don't need for it to beat frickin everything. Just what its teammates can't. Just looking at which pokes he has on the team, you can think, "theoretically, Starmie, Mawile, and Landorus-T are capable of hitting Conkeldurr with a super effective STAB attack, which means they could all in theory take out or heavily damage Conk." You need to think about what the rest of the team can do before you say something needs to change.
Yes I do realize, I'm pretty proficient at OU thanks for asking though.

Tell me how much usage a STAB Flying-type gets used on Landorus-T.
Second off, he doesn't pack Psychic on his Starmie and even if, it still isn't an OHKO.
Yeah, MMawile can smash it but it can't come in on Drain Punch, so what.

With no reliable recovery for either outside of wish (Landy/Mawile), they get worn down, predict wrong and GG.

Sorry you take the floor though. u r 2pro

Yes I do realize, I'm pretty proficient at OU thanks for asking though.

Tell me how much usage a STAB Flying-type gets used on Landorus-T.
Second off, he doesn't pack Psychic on his Starmie and even if, it still isn't an OHKO.
Yeah, MMawile can smash it but it can't come in on Drain Punch, so what.

With no reliable recovery for either outside of wish (Landy/Mawile), they get worn down, predict wrong and GG.

Sorry you take the floor though. u r 2pro
I'm don't mean specifically with what he has. I just mean that he has three pokes capable of doind the deed if they had the right move. But otherwise you are correct.

P.S. Sorry if I sounded insulting in my last post. I really don't have an excuse for that.

Slightly off topic, but does anybody know how I can update the title? I've peaked in the 1700s which I think is pretty significant considering that puts me in qualification range for voting!

Great team. I have a few minor suggestions. First, I'd use fully offensive Starmie, as he has shit bulk, anyway, and won't be living many hits. Also, I'd use Psyshock, Ice Beam, and Hydro Pump. Thunderbolt you have on Goodra. Speaking of which, two Dragon moves is unnecessary in my opinion. Why not Sludge Wave over Dragon Tail? Or even something like Ice Beam? Also, I really recommend Stone Edge on Lando-T, for Talonflame, Volc, Pinsir, and especially Dragonite, who it hits on it's lower defense, and who you perfectly counter with it. I'm not completely sold on Knock Off on Mawile, personally, I'd go with Fire Fang, but that's your choice, good sir. Congrats on the ranking, and much Ludvisc.
Thank you for the feedback. I think what you've said has convinced me to try psyshock on Starmie and go fully offensive, as I'm struggling with the poor damage output despite analytic, and I think psyshock will seriously deter Venusaur from thinking it can heal up against Starmie. However, Dragon Tail I find absolutely vital at the moment to rack up stealth rock damage and to also punish switch ins. It also helps against some baton pass teams, and ruins weakness policy Dragonite that sees Goodra as a set up opportunity (particularly if I'm -0.5 SPA at the time). I also am testing brick break over knock off on Mega Mawile, as Heatran is a common switch in and whilst knock off is good, it's not a strong enough answer for me to be content. However, the team then really misses not having knock off, but I have no idea where it can now fit.

I've also been testing a variation of this team to great success running Tentacruel over Starmie and Deoxys-S over Rotom-H. I struggle against Genesect this way and I also break my rule of one from every generation, but if Genesect gets banned and Deoxys-S stays, then I feel this variation of the team is also very competent.

With this change on Starmie, Conk appears much less threatening. I can see Se7en Lions view on Conkeldurr being a threat, but I've never lost because of one yet (though as MegaScizor said if I play wrong it can do work to me). I can see the concerns re Umbreon, but really in practise it's phenomenal and proving in-disposable glue. Plus I'm biased as it's my favourite Eeveelution.

However, a major threat to my team still is Azumarill. I can check it but if I predict wrong, something always gets absolutely wrecked on the switch in. I'm genuinely considering running speed EVs on Goodra to guarantee outspeeding max speed Jolly for this reason, but I don't know if that's good enough an answer.

Thanks to everybody for the contributions so far. I really feel this team has a lot of potential so more advice (about either variation of the team described above) would be greatly appreciated. I'm climbing up the ladder, quite comfortably now, and where I've lost it's come down to misplays and not weaknesses.

If you can make it so Goodra can OHKO Azu with T-Bolt, and can survive two hits/outspeed Azu, then I would say try it out and see if your team works well with the changes. I spectated a battle today, and without Belly Drum up, an Azu totally tore apart an opposing team. You might want to run high speed anyway, if Goodra can outspeed common threats, or go with a choice scarf, (or both) that way it can do speedy Dragon Tails and get better hazard damage. Plus then it could outspeed Azu and hit it with T-Bolt. Idk how exactly the spread would change. I'll leave that to you to figure out.

Just wanted to throw something else out there, mainly the fact that I have been playing around with starmie and it is underwhelming. It is not a very good spinner and if you want to goo full offensive then a switch to greninja would make the most sense. And like you said if you wanted a better water spinner from gen 1 tentcruel is better imo.

If you can make it so Goodra can OHKO Azu with T-Bolt, and can survive two hits/outspeed Azu, then I would say try it out and see if your team works well with the changes. I spectated a battle today, and without Belly Drum up, an Azu totally tore apart an opposing team. You might want to run high speed anyway, if Goodra can outspeed common threats, or go with a choice scarf, (or both) that way it can do speedy Dragon Tails and get better hazard damage. Plus then it could outspeed Azu and hit it with T-Bolt. Idk how exactly the spread would change. I'll leave that to you to figure out.
As for your azumarill problem i dont think goodra is the answer, because it can not OHKO and can get OHKOd in return, The comment before me is concerning because it seems like he just said a bunch of things with wishful thinking. Here are some relevant calcs

252+ SpA Goodra Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 230-272 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 716-846 (186.4 - 220.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So even with max spatk goodra can not OHKO and under no circumstance can he live a play rough. Choice scarfing goodra would be a terrible idea, if you wanted to choice it it should be with specs because then you at least have a chance to OHKO azumarill. But choicing goodra would change his role completely so please dont do that. And i dont know why he suggested "speedy" dragon tails. Either he hopes to hit something before goodra gets rored out which is weird reason to scarifice bulk or he doesnt understand that dragon tail is - 6 priority. So if i misunderstood what you meant by speedy dragon tailes please explain...

Anyway a potential fix to the azumaril problem would just be to burn it. I dont know what to suggest because usually changing something to combat one poke leaves you open to other pokes. like if you switched out rotom-h you lose a very important talonflame and pinsir counter. But if azumarill keeps giving you problems ferrothorn is a very solid stop to him.

I'm really going to have to think about this. Tentacruel would be a great addition typing wise but then I have terrible speed across the team which could really put me in troubling situations. Currently, Starmie threatens the scary powerhouses that I can check and revenge (Landorus-I being a fine example).

I've actually just reached 1771 rating and I'm now 26th on the ladder, which I think is pretty impressive. The implemented changes have been Brick Break Mawile and Life Orb Analytic Psyshock Starmie. I'm managing to play around Azumarill but it always costs me something. Luckily Jolly Azumarill has disappeared with Rotom now outspeeding it.

How do I change the main title thread? I know it's a nooby question but I'm really happy how I've progressed.

Also, this replay is against the number 1 on the ladder with a 91 - 14 win rating. It came down to the wire and I lost due to some crucial misplays. Just thought it was a neat battle that showcased the team well, despite major chaos in the middle with Mega Mawile predictions.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-83280200

yeah i was watching you play costa, those were some good games. There is no question your team is up there with the best. You can change the title by going to the top right of your post and clicking on thread tools and then edit title.

Yeah i mean with the success of your team changing any pokes could be bad and completely change your success. So the last thing ill say is that i would keep the team you made with the slight changes and keep it as is. You could always make another team later.

Congrats on the success and good luck in the future.

Thank you for all the support and feedback MegaScizor. It was awesome to finally beat him, though as it stands I'm 3 - 1 down.

I've edited the OP with all the amended changes that have given me success. I'll also be sure to add an import later, though I think this team is quite difficult to play with until you have a proper feel for all the mons.

I'm not sure what further changes I could make but I'd love to hear feedback if anybody else has it.

Just wanted to throw something else out there, mainly the fact that I have been playing around with starmie and it is underwhelming. It is not a very good spinner and if you want to goo full offensive then a switch to greninja would make the most sense. And like you said if you wanted a better water spinner from gen 1 tentcruel is better imo.

As for your azumarill problem i dont think goodra is the answer, because it can not OHKO and can get OHKOd in return, The comment before me is concerning because it seems like he just said a bunch of things with wishful thinking. Here are some relevant calcs

252+ SpA Goodra Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 230-272 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 716-846 (186.4 - 220.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So even with max spatk goodra can not OHKO and under no circumstance can he live a play rough. Choice scarfing goodra would be a terrible idea, if you wanted to choice it it should be with specs because then you at least have a chance to OHKO azumarill. But choicing goodra would change his role completely so please dont do that. And i dont know why he suggested "speedy" dragon tails. Either he hopes to hit something before goodra gets rored out which is weird reason to scarifice bulk or he doesnt understand that dragon tail is - 6 priority. So if i misunderstood what you meant by speedy dragon tailes please explain...

Anyway a potential fix to the azumaril problem would just be to burn it. I dont know what to suggest because usually changing something to combat one poke leaves you open to other pokes. like if you switched out rotom-h you lose a very important talonflame and pinsir counter. But if azumarill keeps giving you problems ferrothorn is a very solid stop to him.
I feel like an idiot now... I derped extremely hard, to say the least. I forgot Dragon Tail has -6 priority. Oops. And also, I really don't take the time memorize which poke can OHKO which, and which ones can't, and so on. Even though I probably should. Burn sounds a lot better than my idea, especially if WoW is a thing. WoW is always nice for taking care of physical attackers. If Rotom could get burn on Azu, that would be great, but it would be risky.
And congrats on doing so well on the ladder!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)