Featured LC Player of the Week 7: Al_Alchemist

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello. Welcome to another week of featured lc players. Since Ray Jay is busy irl, I have taken over. This week we are featuring Al_Alchemist, who is 4-0 in SPL.

Al_Alchemist
favorite pokemon: Wartortle
Most known for: ;o
Play style: balanced
<macle> fav pokemon
<Al_Alchemist> WARTORTLE
<Al_Alchemist> definitely wartortle
<Al_Alchemist> always forever
<Al_Alchemist> it has war in its name
<Al_Alchemist> and tortle i guess

<macle> what kind of play style do you use
<Al_Alchemist> lawl
<Al_Alchemist> balance
<Al_Alchemist> in lc
<Al_Alchemist> definitely
<Al_Alchemist> ive tried other things
<Al_Alchemist> but balance is just so good for me and the most comfortable
<Al_Alchemist> i love that structure
<Al_Alchemist> and a the versatility to be able to switch uhhh goals based on different opponent's teams

<macle> tell me about yourself
<Al_Alchemist> no!
<Al_Alchemist> ok
<Al_Alchemist> um
<Al_Alchemist> im 19
<Al_Alchemist> i go to community college
<Al_Alchemist> i was a bioengineering major but i switched it to physics
<Al_Alchemist> for yada yada
<Al_Alchemist> i started lc
<Al_Alchemist> at the end of dpp
<Al_Alchemist> like RIGHT BEFORE they banned missy
<Al_Alchemist> then they banned missy
<Al_Alchemist> and i always sucked since i used sample teams
<Al_Alchemist> i think it was plus's team or something
<Al_Alchemist> and then i started in bw lc like right after they banned berry juice
<Al_Alchemist> and i created like several rmt for teams ive toppped the ladder with
<Al_Alchemist> em was my biggest rival
<Al_Alchemist> i would beat him like <50% of the time
<Al_Alchemist> i think my prime was when em used that one eviolite/lo snover team

<macle> favorite element of lc
<Al_Alchemist> lemme think hmm
<Al_Alchemist> well i kind of fell into lc because of the community tbh
<Al_Alchemist> its probably the lc community
<Al_Alchemist> also im a big fish in a little pond >:)
<Al_Alchemist> it makes me feel good even if i would suck in other tiers
<Al_Alchemist> although its getting a lot more competitive
<Al_Alchemist> especially with people like elevatormusic

<macle> if you could change one thing
<macle> what would it be
<macle> about lc

<Al_Alchemist> thanks for that clarification
<Al_Alchemist> ;)
<Al_Alchemist> hmm
<Al_Alchemist> i suppose moving forward with the gligar/swirlix bans even if im not completely gathered in all my thoughts about their banning although im obviously leaning towards it
<Al_Alchemist> but seeing an evioliteless metagame would be interesting
<Al_Alchemist> sure we can have evioliteless tourneys but thats no replacement for if the thing was actually banned
<Al_Alchemist> and people were laddering and shit
<Al_Alchemist> i didnt really get to play gen 4 so that would be pretty cool
<Al_Alchemist> hyper offense everywhere
<Al_Alchemist> and eo stall
<Al_Alchemist> oh thats 2 things

<macle> what player do you admire most
<Al_Alchemist> it would be elevator music and it sounds like im on his dick for talking about him so much
<Al_Alchemist> but its not him because he bein a little no show with xy lc
<Al_Alchemist> umm admire hmm
<Al_Alchemist> i suppose blarajan in a youre a good leader in a way way
<Al_Alchemist> im not convinced hes the best lc'er, yet
<macle> yeah he sucks at battling tho
<Al_Alchemist> but hes done a lot for the community
<Al_Alchemist> so good on him for that
<Al_Alchemist> in all other aspects elevator music still
<Al_Alchemist> even if hes non existent
<Al_Alchemist> HE HAD A REALLY GOOD BERGMITE TEAM
<Al_Alchemist> SO THATS SOMETHING

<macle> so whats it like being 4-0 in spl
<Al_Alchemist> you know
<Al_Alchemist> i probably woulda lost in the first battle
<Al_Alchemist> vs dcae
<Al_Alchemist> but he hella choked
<macle> lol
<Al_Alchemist> althoguh i still had a chance to win i guess even if he didnt choke iwth pawniard
<Al_Alchemist> if i lost against him
<Al_Alchemist> hawkstar probably woulda been for week 2
<Al_Alchemist> and i wouldnt have gone 4-0
<Al_Alchemist> so thanks dcae for choking hard
<Al_Alchemist> it feels ok
<Al_Alchemist> but it makes me slack on irl stuff
<Al_Alchemist> so its probably bad for my overall lifde
<Al_Alchemist> oh well pokemon!
<Al_Alchemist> i got a 95% on math test so im pretty jazzed about that

<macle> whats your advice for new lcers or people like dcae who just suck
<Al_Alchemist> there is nothing you could tell to dickeye to make him better
<Al_Alchemist> but for new lc'ers hmm
<Al_Alchemist> like i was saying earlier blarajan has been a good leader but really the lc community has fucking kicked some shit in terms of
<Al_Alchemist> getting new players into lc
<Al_Alchemist> like jesus christ
<Al_Alchemist> we have so many resources
<Al_Alchemist> the sample teams
<Al_Alchemist> viability threads
<Al_Alchemist> etc yeah sure its been stolen formula wise from other tier subforums
<Al_Alchemist> but we have a lot of resources shit i would recommend going to sample teams thread
<Al_Alchemist> plooping the team
<Al_Alchemist> onto the ladder
<Al_Alchemist> and playing with them
<Al_Alchemist> thats the best way to get into the tier
<Al_Alchemist> hell thats how i got into xy lc
<Al_Alchemist> i was sucking trying to make a team from scratch
<Al_Alchemist> so i legitimately
<Al_Alchemist> stole your team macle
<Al_Alchemist> and tweaked some few things
<Al_Alchemist> then i started to get my groove back
<macle> lol
<Al_Alchemist> it was the team with like all 6 sweepers + carvanha or some shit
<Al_Alchemist> then once you get a feel for the metagame
<Al_Alchemist> you can venture into tweaks and etc
<Al_Alchemist> looking at the viability thread yada yada
<macle> cutest lc user
<Al_Alchemist> hmmm
<Al_Alchemist> this is an important question
<Al_Alchemist> smogon in general is full of cute users and users who are obsessed about cute users and cute things
<Al_Alchemist> but lc is where the cutest is
<Al_Alchemist> lets see
<Al_Alchemist> probably blarajan
<Al_Alchemist> its really hilarious when he gets mad
<Al_Alchemist> and hes like always mad
<Al_Alchemist> it reminds me that he used to have a stunfisk avatar
<macle> ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
* macle disappointed
<Al_Alchemist> but theres one user more cuter than that
<Al_Alchemist> its macle
<Al_Alchemist> :3
<Al_Alchemist> *ribbit*

so thats the end of the interview, please look forward to next weeks thread.

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
o my god i forgot to send in my sample team :0

edit:
Meditite @ Eviolite
Ability: Pure Power
Level: 5
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 156 Def / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 156 HP / 76 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Aqua Tail

Fletchling
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Atk / 92 Def / 52 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn

Pawniard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
- Pursuit

Lileep @ Eviolite
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 228 HP / 140 Def / 140 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SAtk / 76 SDef / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect

"This is the team I used for week 2 and 3 of SPL.

Basically the basis of this team was that I sort of wanted to use a Fletchling team, but I also wanted to use Pokemon that have both surprised and beat the shit out of my ass on the ladder or from random matches. Those Pokemon were definitely Roost Fletchling and Calm Mind Spritzee, and the Gligar + Pawniard sets to an extent.

This is a balanced team more akin to what I used back in BW LC, ie in that it has both a Physical and Special set-up sweeper, a scarfer, a defensive core (Gligar + Lileep + Spritzee again), and a "utility" mon (whatever that means, it's Meditite for priority which is important for Sturdy Juicers + Belly Drum Swirlix).

Fletchling and Spritzee were both at least uncommon sweepers, but extremely good, especially if the opponent isn't used to fighting them.

Bulky Itemless Fletchling lets it have a 110BP + STAB Priority move, which means it can usually take a hit for SD or just kill mons straight out of the ball, it also serves as my secondary BD Swirlix check, should something happen to Meditite, or if the Swirlix has protect or some shit. Roost, although admittedly not used that often, definitely has earned its place on the set by at the very least Roosting on Sucker Punch Pawniard. Also, having 4 (or 5 if you count Drain Punch on Meditite) Pokemon with a recovery move on your team tends to make your team that much harder to kill, especially when SR is up. Speaking of SR, it helps nab OHKOs on many Pokemon for Fletchling as a STAB itemless Acrobatics priority move isn't an easy thing to prepare for late game. U-turn/Roost provides me with some scouting opportunities on things like Volt Switch Chinchou and U-turn can help me do a nice trapping combo on Slowpoke with Pawniard's Pursuit.

Spritzee is a beast, fairy is such good typing and it serves as my Meditite/Fighting-Type counter/check and Cotton Guard + Calm Mind Swirlix check. If the opponent doesn't have a status move or etc., Spritzee can often find itself being an excellent late game sweeper as well, especially if my opponent tries to bring CG+CM Swirlix out to set up. I've also Wish passed with it before, which is hilarious and cool.

I opted for a slightly more defensive Lileep and Gligar this time around.

Lileep is bold in order to survive a +4 Gligar Acrobatics and random other Physical attack, while still taking like 38.5% from Chinchou Ice Beam, it can recover stall Murkrow's LO BB if it doesn't switch into it (50%). It has Hidden Power Ice to serve as a secondary Gligar check, although a very shaky one. Giga Drain + HP Ice KOs non Eviolite Gligar, while 2 HP Ice 2HKOs Eviolite Gligar.

Gligar has a more interesting set, although the EVs may not be optimum, they tend to screw up a handful of Gligar checks relying on calcs for 0 HP / 0 Defenses EVs Eviolite/Berry Juice/Itemless Gligar. I only needed Aqua Tail to at least 2HKO the majority of the time for the majority of Gligar (there are some weird and/or extremely defensive Gligar sets out there, I FACE A GLIGAR THAT IS EV'D TO COUNTER AQUA TAIL GLIGAR ONE TIME IT WAS FUCKING RIDICULOUS I HATED IT BECAUSE IT WAS WHEN THIS GLIGAR HAD STEALTH ROCK OVER KNOCK OFF). Knock off can hilariously 2HKO Misdreavus and Bronzor and just mess up a lot of Gligar's checks or Pokemon in general. Of course this Gligar is a lot weaker to Fighting-types, but that's not something the opponent is usually going to risk, unless they know what the set is, and Knock Off hurts in a way, anyway. Gligar is my Gligar check, sad I know.

Scarf Pawniard is a bit unexpected, fucks a lot of things over with Scarf Knock Off, of course. It can 2HKO Gligar with SR I think? Ask user Corkscrew or calculators. Makes it so I'm not as afraid of Fairies or Misdreavus, which is a big job! Also it's hilarious to switch into a Defog from like Vullaby, but not so much Heat Wave. Helps a bit against Fletchling, this team is kind of weak to Fletchling, like pretty bad actually.

And of course Meditite, Fake Out + Bullet Punch for Sturdy Juicers and Swirlix of course. Also just for picking off many Pokemon, thanks to its 28 attack stat due to Pure Power. Drain Punch for recovery, STAB, killing Porygon and shit. Zen Headbutt over Ice/Thunder/Fire(Honedge) Punch because it can nab Misdreavus on the switch, still "hits" Gligar, and can kill Foongus, which is an annoying little prick. Also, it can 2HKO Spritzee (max HP/max def+) with SR with Zen Headbutt like >50% of the time. Love this guy, EVs make it so its more bulky on the Physical side to live some flying or something move I forgot, these were old BW LC EVs when it was still legal. It gets 36 Spe EVs leftover as opposed to Corkscrew's analysis EVs, it can live an itemless Fletchling's Acrobatics at full HP (does like 20 HP and this Meditite has 21 HP lol).

Weakish to Ice-types, Fletchling, and if the opponent knows you have a Scarf Pawniard, surprise!"

Last edited:

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
I remember facing al like 3 times for lost cave and losing them all to the might poison touch croagunk team :<
Al is a cool guy anyways and strong player :] and dcae does sucks *-*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)