Field Plating

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
i coded this
Code:
    {
        name: "Field Plating",
        desc: ["&bullet; <a href=\"http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3548351/\">Field Plating</a>"],
        section: "Other Metagames",

mod: 'fieldplating',
        ruleset: ['OU']
    }
Code:
exports.BattleItems = {
    "dreadplate": {
        inherit: true,
        onBasePower: function () {},
        onTakeItem: false,
        onStart: function (source) {
            if (this.pseudoWeather['magicroom']) {
                this.removePseudoWeather('magicroom', source);
            } else {
                this.addPseudoWeather('magicroom', source);
            }
        }
    },
    "dracoplate": {
            if (this.pseudoWeather['wonderroom']) {
                this.removePseudoWeather('wonderroom', source);
            } else {
                this.addPseudoWeather('wonderroom', source);
            }
        }
    },
    "earthplate": {
            this.addPseudoWeather('mudsport', source);
        }
    },
    "flameplate": {
            this.setWeather('sunnyday');
        }
    },
    "icicleplate": {
            this.setWeather('hail');
        }
    },
    "ironplate": {
            this.addPseudoWeather('gravity', source);
        }
    },
    "meadowplate": {
            this.setTerrain('grassyterrain');
        }
    },
    "mindplate": {
            if (this.pseudoWeather['trickroom']) {
                this.removePseudoWeather('trickroom', source);
            } else {
                this.addPseudoWeather('trickroom', source);
            }
        }
    },
    "pixieplate": {
            this.setTerrain('mistyterrain');
        }
    },
    "skyplate": {
            this.setWeather('raindance');
        }
    },
    "splashplate": {
            this.addPseudoWeather('watersport', source);
        }
    },
    "stoneplate": {
            this.setWeather('sandstorm');
        }
    },
    "spookyplate": {
            this.addPseudoWeather('fairylock');
        }
    },
    "toxicplate": {
            this.useMove('haze', source);
        }
    },
    "zapplate": {
            this.setTerrain('electricterrain');
        }
    }
};
Isa Simple am i loved D:

also any time you see

it's a client-side visual bug, nothing to do with the code, so dont worry!

ty Ransei for testing with me

Last edited:
Ghoul King, yeah, that's true. Perhaps counterproductive is the better way to phrase it (not necessarily true, mind you). But it is definitely an odd concept. Intentionally underspending your opponent so that you can guarantee that you will outspeed them. Like trick room, only weirder, because you want to still be faster than them, at least after your speed is doubled. It's just... Backwards. It's super cool though. Interesting thing, I can see 252 Spe becoming pretty uncommon for this reason exactly, but then some stuff will definitely want max speed to just straight up kill stuff.

I think Weather Plate + Weather-Dependent Speed Doubling Ability is the obvious route to go, but Swift Swim/Chlorophyll/Sand Rush Pokemon aren't exactly disgustingly powerful in their own right (Okay, Excadrill is pretty damn powerful) -- they might still prefer a Life Orb or a Choice item. Moreover, going fast isn't as uniformly good as it is in standard, what with Trick Room flying around. And if you happen to lead with a Pokemon like that and your opponent sends out a Mind Plate holder... well, you've just lost momentum. I think a more optimal Weather strategy would be to use at least one Weather-setting plate on a bulky pivot, which can run minimum / relatively little speed to not be troubled quite as much by Trick Room. They also beat opposing offensive weather setters in getting up their own weather.

Let's go through the weathers and pick out some supportive 'mons to set them up.

Rain: Vaporeon has a slate of utility moves in Heal Bell, Roar, and Wish, along with Baton Pass for straight pivoting. Rotom-Wash brings Will-O-Wisp, its signature defensive capabilities, and a more offensive switching move to the table. Slowbro and Slowking have their own typing uses and Regenerator. Seismitoad can run Water Absorb to fuck with opposing rain, along with getting Stealth Rock. Tentacruel gives Rapid Spin and Toxic Spikes support, as well as Rain Dish for passive recovery and a Grass neutrality to help against opposing sun.

Sand: Gliscor is probably the prime choice here: Sand Veil is silly for generating free turns, and Gliscor has a slate of moves such as Stealth Rock, Defog, U-Turn, Roost, and the coveted Knock Off to round out its moveset. Regirock becomes painfully bulky in the sand, providing Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave support. Garchomp has a bit less utility than Gliscor, but keeps that infuriating Sand Veil and can phaze opponents with Dragon Tail, though it is fast enough that sufficiently slow SS/Chloro/Sand Rush users might underspeed. Cradily gets a recovery move and its Storm Drain would likely provide great utility for Sand teams; Grass typing gives neutrality against opposing Chlorophyllers. Hippowdon, which can just use its natural Sand Stream, could provide crucial Iron Plate support for sand teams, while Tyranitar is probably best off with the good old Smooth Rock.

As a side note for Sand teams, the presence of easy Gravity support and of Grassy Terrain users means that Grass-types are really going to be the biggest thorn (ayy) in Sand's side. I would recommend adding appropriate coverage where you can find it.

Sun: Heatran is Fire's only appealing Stealth Rock setter, and with its typing, anti-opposing-Sun ability, and defensive prowess, it really stands out as the best sun supporter. Victini has a pivoting move and is disgustingly powerful while having some bulk (but it's a bit fast), while Rotom-Heat is a niche option if you need a Levitator or an Electric-type or whatever. An alternative is to put Flame Plate on a Grass-type, which puts it at risk to Fire coverage, but gives you a better matchup against Sand and Rain. Cradily straight-up has Water Absorb, so it can mess up rain even without its preferred Sun, and gets a Special Defense bonus in the sand. That's speculation, though.

Hail: Uh, I guess you're making a hail team to be anti-meta, right? If you're like, super keen on this, just put Mega Abomasnow on a Trick Room team -- it should do well against rain and sand by dint of its typing. Escavalier under trick room has an ironically good matchup against Sun (it gets Drill Run for Fire-types, Megahorn for Chlorophyllers, and Knock Off for being a fucking pain in the ass), and if you're not just giving it Mind Plate straight-up, it has Overcoat to not take Hail damage from an Icicle Plate. I think between the two of them, Escavalier and Mega Abomasnow under Trick Room should give weather teams serious trouble.

----

Now, having devoted five paragraphs to weather, I'm here to tell you that I think Iron Plate-assisted Ground spam is going to be the Thing To Beat in this meta. If you can take out opposing Grass/Bug-types and Meadow Plate holders, the opponent will be very hard-pressed to take powerful Earthquakes and Earth Powers. Traditional Flying-type or levitating checks to Ground-types will be nullified by gravity, forcing defensive playstyles to get a lot more predictable. It also meshes well with both Sand and Trick Room, meaning that you can't rely on outspeeding or Trick Rooming your way out of it.

Nidoqueen/King can take out Grass- and Bug-types with Sludge Bombs and Flamethrowers and Ice Beams and whatnot, while Mega Camerupt fits well on Trick Room teams and can blast Ground resistances to bits with Fire Blast; it's certainly no slouch against Sun and Sand teams either, if you can keep TR up. Its use of Earth Power circumvents the power drop associated with Grassy Terrain. I can see a team containing some amalgam of two Trick Roomers, two Gravity setters, three Ground spammers, and one or two Rain counters (and perhaps a trapper) performing quite well.

Can't wait to try this out!

EDIT: Check out a spread of 252 HP / 84 Def / 168+ SpD on Stone Plate Regirock; this comes close to equalizing its defenses in the sand. Do an all-vs-one calc of it in the damage calculator and see just how little can reliably 2HKO this thing; now consider that many of those will prefer to carry a Plate and won't have that boosted damage output. It is almost guaranteed to drop a Thunder Wave and then Stealth Rock even against fearsome attacking leads. Or maybe I'm just geeking out over a bad sand setter because I love Regirock. Who knows.

Last edited:
i coded this
Code:
    {
        name: "Field Plating",
        desc: ["&bullet; <a href=\"http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3548351/\">Field Plating</a>"],
        section: "Other Metagames",

mod: 'fieldplating',
        ruleset: ['OU']
    }
Code:
exports.BattleItems = {
    "dreadplate": {
            if (this.pseudoWeather['magicroom']) {
                this.removePseudoWeather('magicroom', source);
            } else {
                this.addPseudoWeather('magicroom', source);
            }
        }
    },
    "dracoplate": {
            if (this.pseudoWeather['wonderroom']) {
                this.removePseudoWeather('wonderroom', source);
            } else {
                this.addPseudoWeather('wonderroom', source);
            }
        }
    },
    "earthplate": {
            this.addPseudoWeather('mudsport', source);
        }
    },
    "flameplate": {
            this.setWeather('sunnyday');
        }
    },
    "icicleplate": {
            this.setWeather('hail');
        }
    },
    "ironplate": {
            this.addPseudoWeather('gravity', source);
        }
    },
    "meadowplate": {
            this.setTerrain('grassyterrain');
        }
    },
    "mindplate": {
            if (this.pseudoWeather['trickroom']) {
                this.removePseudoWeather('trickroom', source);
            } else {
                this.addPseudoWeather('trickroom', source);
            }
        }
    },
    "pixieplate": {
            this.setTerrain('mistyterrain');
        }
    },
    "skyplate": {
            this.addPseudoWeather('watersport', source);
        }
    },
    "splashplate": {
            this.setWeather('raindance');
        }
    },
    "stoneplate": {
            this.setWeather('sandstorm');
        }
    },
    "spookyplate": {
            this.addPseudoWeather('fairylock');
        }
    },
    "toxicplate": {
            this.useMove('haze', source);
        }
    },
    "zapplate": {
            this.setTerrain('electricterrain');
        }
    }
};
Isa Simple am i loved D:

also any time you see

it's a client-side visual bug, nothing to do with the code, so dont worry!

ty Ransei for testing with me
Of course you are loved <3
Thank You for your time and effort friendo! :D

Ghoul King, yeah, that's true. Perhaps counterproductive is the better way to phrase it (not necessarily true, mind you). But it is definitely an odd concept. Intentionally underspending your opponent so that you can guarantee that you will outspeed them. Like trick room, only weirder, because you want to still be faster than them, at least after your speed is doubled. It's just... Backwards. It's super cool though. Interesting thing, I can see 252 Spe becoming pretty uncommon for this reason exactly, but then some stuff will definitely want max speed to just straight up kill stuff.
Maybe "counterintuitive" is the word you're looking for?

IsaSimple said:
As for Water and Mud Sport, however they may seem fairly mediocre, they have their uses as preferential options for stall.
Yes Rain halves the damage of Fire moves like Water Sport does, but do you really want to boost the opponents Water moves? This meta actually makes stall quite strong, as there will be very few boosting items like LO and such, but giving a specs/band boost to opposing Water moves isn't helpful.
Mud Sport has its uses too. On stall it doesn't even need to be on an electric weak pokemon. An extra free resistance for the entire team, to a type which is hard to cover when paired with Ice attacks is very nice. Also works against Electric Terrain and Thunder on Rain.
Double-checked: they're better than I thought. They reduce their respective damage by 2/3rds, which is actually pretty impressive. That means a doubly super-effective off-STAB coverage hit of the reduced type is actually weaker than an equivalent neutrally effective STAB move.

They're still pretty narrow and I suspect weather Plates will remain the preferred choice, but they're not as lame as I'd thought.

I think Weather Plate + Weather-Dependent Speed Doubling Ability is the obvious route to go, but Swift Swim/Chlorophyll/Sand Rush Pokemon aren't exactly disgustingly powerful in their own right (Okay, Excadrill is pretty damn powerful) -- they might still prefer a Life Orb or a Choice item. Moreover, going fast isn't as uniformly good as it is in standard, what with Trick Room flying around. And if you happen to lead with a Pokemon like that and your opponent sends out a Mind Plate holder... well, you've just lost momentum. I think a more optimal Weather strategy would be to use at least one Weather-setting plate on a bulky pivot, which can run minimum / relatively little speed to not be troubled quite as much by Trick Room. They also beat opposing offensive weather setters in getting up their own weather.
Magic Room will only block you if it gets set before you try to set your weather. They need to outspeed you to block you, which admittedly most Weather-based Speedsters have pretty meh Speed on their own, but it's an additional wrinkle.

Though I also think you're underestimating the potential of stuff like Swift Swim Relicanth annihilating stuff with Head Smash.

Rain: Vaporeon has a slate of utility moves in Heal Bell, Roar, and Wish, along with Baton Pass for straight pivoting. Rotom-Wash brings Will-O-Wisp, its signature defensive capabilities, and a more offensive switching move to the table. Slowbro and Slowking have their own typing uses and Regenerator. Seismitoad can run Water Absorb to fuck with opposing rain, along with getting Stealth Rock. Tentacruel gives Rapid Spin and Toxic Spikes support, as well as Rain Dish for passive recovery and a Grass neutrality to help against opposing sun.
Zapdos is also worth commentary, as it appreciates the ability to freely throw out Thunder, or it can be used to Volt Switch out to your abuser, and it doesn't share weaknesses with your actual Rain abusers. It can even U-Turn out if you're concerned about Electric-immune Pokemon switching in, and is bulky with reliable recovery.

More generally, you can provide it to myriad Pokemon that appreciate protection from Fire or otherwise combo well with a Rain team while having either U-Turn or Volt Switch. (Or Baton Pass, or Parting Shot) There's also a ton of Pokemon with Thunder that are unusual -Azelf could lead with Splash Plate, drop Stealth Rock or lob a Thunder, and then U-Turn out or Explode to clear the way if your team has incredible offensive pressure. Jirachi is much the same, but bulkier (Albeit slower) and actually appreciating weakening Fire moves. (Also it can't Explode) Or Doom Desire to pressure enemies -Doom Desire, U-Turn out, slap them silly with your Swift Swimmers or Dry Skinners or whatever. Or Wish pass and then U-Turn out, giving your abuser room to switch in safely.

In general I'd keep in mind the various non-Water non-Electric Pokemon that could be amazing helping a Rain team by setting Rain. Especially since there's also Hurricane to keep in mind: Tornadus-Therian with Splash Plate gets reliable Hurricane, can U-Turn out to allies, and has Regenerator, all while resisting the Grass moves Water types fear and being immune to the Ground move Electric types fear.

Sand: Gliscor is probably the prime choice here: Sand Veil is silly for generating free turns, and Gliscor has a slate of moves such as Stealth Rock, Defog, U-Turn, Roost, and the coveted Knock Off to round out its moveset. Regirock becomes painfully bulky in the sand, providing Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave support. Garchomp has a bit less utility than Gliscor, but keeps that infuriating Sand Veil and can phaze opponents with Dragon Tail, though it is fast enough that sufficiently slow SS/Chloro/Sand Rush users might underspeed. Cradily gets a recovery move and its Storm Drain would likely provide great utility for Sand teams; Grass typing gives neutrality against opposing Chlorophyllers. Hippowdon, which can just use its natural Sand Stream, could provide crucial Iron Plate support for sand teams, while Tyranitar is probably best off with the good old Smooth Rock.

As a side note for Sand teams, the presence of easy Gravity support and of Grassy Terrain users means that Grass-types are really going to be the biggest thorn (ayy) in Sand's side. I would recommend adding appropriate coverage where you can find it.
I don't see much point to trying to abuse Sand Veil this way, personally (Gliscor is probably better off sticking to its usual Poison Heal Toxic Orb), but I absolutely agree pretty much everything else here. Archeops is also mildly interesting with a Stone Plate, since it helps compensate for its terrible bulk and it can U-Turn out to your primary Sand abusers, providing Sand a decent pivoting Sand setter at last. There's also a small pool of Ground or Steel options for U-Turning Sand setter, such as Landorus-Therian, but I'm not sure it's worth it to them.

Sun: Heatran is Fire's only appealing Stealth Rock setter, and with its typing, anti-opposing-Sun ability, and defensive prowess, it really stands out as the best sun supporter. Victini has a pivoting move and is disgustingly powerful while having some bulk (but it's a bit fast), while Rotom-Heat is a niche option if you need a Levitator or an Electric-type or whatever. An alternative is to put Flame Plate on a Grass-type, which puts it at risk to Fire coverage, but gives you a better matchup against Sand and Rain. Cradily straight-up has Water Absorb, so it can mess up rain even without its preferred Sun, and gets a Special Defense bonus in the sand. That's speculation, though.
Celebi, Jumpluff, and Whimsicott all have U-Turn and a decent/high amount of Speed, though in Whimsicott's case it's probably vastly better off running the Meadow Plate and Nature Power than Solar Beam, but Celebi in particular can be fairly lethal, while Jumpluff's access to Infiltrator is noteworthy. The big winner here is Victreebel, whom is the only Pokemon in the entire game to have simultaneous access to Weather Ball and Chlorophyll (Venusaur can get both, but not at the same time) which gives it an impressive offensive combination, actually. (Heatran, Dragons, and Fire types in general are something of a problem, but most Dragons and non-Heatran fire types can be taken out with Sludge Bomb. Add Hidden Power Ground and Heatran dies horribly) It also gets Growth and Synthesis, though the former is the main one of relevance to my mind, since it allows Victreebel to use Chansey as setup fodder. (+6 252+ SpA Victreebel Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 274-324 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO)

... overall though Sun seems a bit harder pressed. There's tons of non-Grass, non-Fire Pokemon that get Solar Beam to be unconventional, but most of them are utter garbage, way too Physically oriented, or have better things to be doing with their time, so Sun doesn't have an equivalent ability to have unconventional-yet-viable secondary options to Rain, especially since it doesn't have anything equivalent to Hurricane. Cresselia is hte only thing that stands out to me as maybe being a viable choice (Though whether it would run Solar Beam is another matter entirely), specifically because it would actually very much appreciate Moonlight becoming 2/3rds healing.

Now, having devoted five paragraphs to weather, I'm here to tell you that I think Iron Plate-assisted Ground spam is going to be the Thing To Beat in this meta. If you can take out opposing Grass/Bug-types and Meadow Plate holders, the opponent will be very hard-pressed to take powerful Earthquakes and Earth Powers. Traditional Flying-type or levitating checks to Ground-types will be nullified by gravity, forcing defensive playstyles to get a lot more predictable. It also meshes well with both Sand and Trick Room, meaning that you can't rely on outspeeding or Trick Rooming your way out of it.
Something to keep in mind is that Edgequake is extremely common, and Bug types mostly suck. It's largely going to be on a few key Grass types like Tangrowth to potentially hold back Ground-Gravity shenanigans, not Bug types. (Scizor is one of the only Bug Pokemon that is bulky, has recovery, and has a non-awful typing) Which leads nicely into your commentary on Camerupt. An additional point to consider regarding Mega Camerupt is that, if you're assuming Gravity support, there's literally no reason to run Flamethrower over Fire Blast.

EDIT: Check out a spread of 252 HP / 84 Def / 168+ SpD on Stone Plate Regirock; this comes close to equalizing its defenses in the sand. Do an all-vs-one calc of it in the damage calculator and see just how little can reliably 2HKO this thing; now consider that many of those will prefer to carry a Plate and won't have that boosted damage output. It is almost guaranteed to drop a Thunder Wave and then Stealth Rock even against fearsome attacking leads. Or maybe I'm just geeking out over a bad sand setter because I love Regirock. Who knows.
Regirock is the friggin' best, and Assault Vest Sand Stream Regirock is actually viable in Almost Any Ability. This isn't AAA, and you're not getting that Assault Vest, but even so.

---

A broader point I meant to comment on earlier is that shuffling is going to be a risky thing to do. Say your opponent puts a Gravity setter in front of your shuffler, who U-Turns out to their Trick Room setter, and you force them out to... their (Ready to Mega) Camerupt. Oops.

Of course you may alternatively cause them to disable a effect they want up, eg their Mind Plate Pokemon U-Turns out and then promptly gets forced back in, turning Trick Room off, but you can't really count on that. Much more likely is that you end up actively helping them!

Last edited:
Magic Room will only block you if it gets set before you try to set your weather. They need to outspeed you to block you, which admittedly most Weather-based Speedsters have pretty meh Speed on their own, but it's an additional wrinkle.
I wasn't really thinking of Magic Room here -- maybe I should have, but I was mostly worried about opposing weather setters, who you want to underspeed. I don't know that Magic Room teams (it's not really something you can just slap on something) will be common enough to worry about, since there's no obvious way to take advantage of your opponents' disrupted strategy/ies.
Though I also think you're underestimating the potential of stuff like Swift Swim Relicanth annihilating stuff with Head Smash.
Meh. Without a Choice Band, Relicanth's power is unimpressive, and without Rock Head, neither is its longevity. I suppose it could be an anti-meta choice because of its low base speed, but it's not terribly difficult to find something that walls it and use that as a setter. The same goes for Beartic, which is an interesting option, but ultimately faces the same issues (though Ice is a pretty good offensive typing, especially for rain. I dunno, we'll see.)
Zapdos is also worth commentary, as it appreciates the ability to freely throw out Thunder, or it can be used to Volt Switch out to your abuser, and it doesn't share weaknesses with your actual Rain abusers. It can even U-Turn out if you're concerned about Electric-immune Pokemon switching in, and is bulky with reliable recovery.

More generally, you can provide it to myriad Pokemon that appreciate protection from Fire or otherwise combo well with a Rain team while having either U-Turn or Volt Switch. (Or Baton Pass, or Parting Shot) There's also a ton of Pokemon with Thunder that are unusual -Azelf could lead with Splash Plate, drop Stealth Rock or lob a Thunder, and then U-Turn out or Explode to clear the way if your team has incredible offensive pressure. Jirachi is much the same, but bulkier (Albeit slower) and actually appreciating weakening Fire moves. (Also it can't Explode) Or Doom Desire to pressure enemies -Doom Desire, U-Turn out, slap them silly with your Swift Swimmers or Dry Skinners or whatever. Or Wish pass and then U-Turn out, giving your abuser room to switch in safely.

In general I'd keep in mind the various non-Water non-Electric Pokemon that could be amazing helping a Rain team by setting Rain. Especially since there's also Hurricane to keep in mind: Tornadus-Therian with Splash Plate gets reliable Hurricane, can U-Turn out to allies, and has Regenerator, all while resisting the Grass moves Water types fear and being immune to the Ground move Electric types fear.
You're definitely right; I had forgotten about them completely, though I'm always a LITTLE wary of putting a weather ability on something neutral to that weather, simply because that cuts into their ability to take those hits. Raikou looks appealing with Thunder and Weather Ball, in addition to what you'd mentioned. Though they all have the issue of losing the weather war if they choose to lead, though that can be remedied by just giving them Rain Dance (which seemed valid on Ninetales in GenV, so I don't see why it wouldn't here). I love Jirachi, and as such I love the idea of using it to set rain, especially with such a great support movepool at its disposal.

I don't see much point to trying to abuse Sand Veil this way, personally (Gliscor is probably better off sticking to its usual Poison Heal Toxic Orb), but I absolutely agree pretty much everything else here. Archeops is also mildly interesting with a Stone Plate, since it helps compensate for its terrible bulk and it can U-Turn out to your primary Sand abusers, providing Sand a decent pivoting Sand setter at last. There's also a small pool of Ground or Steel options for U-Turning Sand setter, such as Landorus-Therian, but I'm not sure it's worth it to them.
The idea of Sand Veil is that it can be hella clutch sometimes -- whatever the opponent's insurance against Defog is (short of Defiant, but Earthquake should let you predict easily), Gliscor has a small chance to circumvent that entirely. That and the fact of Defog access in the first place is the appeal of using Sand Veil Gliscor on Sand, which would otherwise just waste sand turns with its trademark stalling. I can see how you'd prefer other

Landorus-Therian actually has all the tools it needs to be a Gravity setter, with powerful STAB Earthquake, Knock off because Knock Off, and U-Turn for pivoting into Grass-types. So yeah, it has better things to do than set sand.

Celebi, Jumpluff, and Whimsicott all have U-Turn and a decent/high amount of Speed, though in Whimsicott's case it's probably vastly better off running the Meadow Plate and Nature Power than Solar Beam, but Celebi in particular can be fairly lethal, while Jumpluff's access to Infiltrator is noteworthy. The big winner here is Victreebel, whom is the only Pokemon in the entire game to have simultaneous access to Weather Ball and Chlorophyll (Venusaur can get both, but not at the same time) which gives it an impressive offensive combination, actually. (Heatran, Dragons, and Fire types in general are something of a problem, but most Dragons and non-Heatran fire types can be taken out with Sludge Bomb. Add Hidden Power Ground and Heatran dies horribly) It also gets Growth and Synthesis, though the former is the main one of relevance to my mind, since it allows Victreebel to use Chansey as setup fodder. (+6 252+ SpA Victreebel Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 274-324 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO)
All good points, though Victreebel is gonna be stuck with serious 4MSS, given that it would also probably like to run Sucker Punch. I wouldn't call Chansey setup fodder, though, between Seismic Toss and potential Thunder Waves. If you really wanna take care of Chansey, lure it out with a physical Growth set.

+2 252+ Atk Victreebel Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 490-577 (76.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. <<< Easy OHKO with a Life Orb.

... overall though Sun seems a bit harder pressed. There's tons of non-Grass, non-Fire Pokemon that get Solar Beam to be unconventional, but most of them are utter garbage, way too Physically oriented, or have better things to be doing with their time, so Sun doesn't have an equivalent ability to have unconventional-yes-viable secondary options to Rain, especially since it doesn't have anything equivalent to Hurricane. Cresselia is hte only thing that stands out to me as maybe being a viable choice (Though whether it would run Solar Beam is another matter entirely), specifically because it would actually very much appreciate Moonlight becoming 2/3rds healing.
Ugh, yes, Moonlight Cresselia looks painful, especially when fewer teams are going to be running Choice items. Switching in a Rain or Sand weather setter looks like a good way to shut it down, though.

Seconding the notion of Defog Sky Plate and Water Sport Insect Plate. The things summoned by Plates have all been replicating moves, so I don't think Air Lock/Delta Stream are a good fit.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Seconding the notion of Defog Sky Plate and Water Sport Insect Plate. The things summoned by Plates have all been replicating moves, so I don't think Air Lock/Delta Stream are a good fit.
I agree with Insect Plate activating Water Sport, but I was thinking that Tailwind would be much more flavorful for Sky Plate, given that it's one of the only field conditions that doesn't have a plate yet.

I agree with Insect Plate activating Water Sport, but I was thinking that Tailwind would be much more flavorful for Sky Plate, given that it's one of the only field conditions that doesn't have a plate yet.
Defog and Tailwind are asymmetrical -- Defog lowers the opponent's Evasion stat.

I'm interested in seeing how items other than plates will go in this meta.
Mega Stones I feel will still be quite valuable, as they give you a Knock Off absorber, and many mega evolutions will be absurdly powerful with the right support.

Take Mega Camerupt for example. In standard OU its a pretty rubbish pokemon, but here I see a LOT of potential.
Lets looks at some of its support options:
Gravity: With Gravity active, Mega Camerupt gains perfect neutral STAB coverage, and 100% accurate Fire Blasts.
Sun: Sheer Force + Sun boosted STAB Fire Blast, Solar Beam, Growth. O_O
Trick Room: Pretty sure the only reason Mega Camerupt is ranked is because it functions really well on Trick Room so yeah...

Here's a nice calc for Mega Camerupt in Sun after a Growth.
+2 252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 424-501 (66 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Now imagine 2 or 3 of those field effects up at the same time with Mega Camerupt on the field. :D

Another thing which I'm honestly not sure about but would be really cool if it works is Hail Stall.

Icicle Plate Walrein with Grassy Terrain would be pretty epic. Not only would it be regenerating 12.5% of its max health every turn (25% after Protect), the Hail stops the opponent from benefitting from Grassy Terrain too much. Or, you could run leftovers and rely on you allies for support and regen 18.75% of its max health every turn (37.5% after Protect). The former option is of probably more reliable due to its independence. Grassy Terrain gives your Ice types a Pseudo resistance to Earthquake, and Hail cancels out other weathers preventing the opposition from boosting their power with Rain and Sun (which with no boosting items is a big deal). Grass types will be a problem for Walrein (particularly with Grassy Terrain), but Grass is still the most resisted type in the game, so its easily covered. Mud Sport and Water Sport support also helps out the Ice types common on Hail stall teams with their lack of resistances. Lastly a Haze user is an obvious choice for any stall team, and a mega like Mega Abomasnow would help with taking Knock Offs, while still setting up Hail and abusing Grassy Terrain.

So do yous reckon Hail Stall could be a viable thing again?

Gogoat @ Grass Plate
Ability: Grass Pelt
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
-Bulk Up
-Horn Leech
-Milk Drink / Synthesis
-Rock Slide

A little weak on the special side, but it invalidates virtually every physical sweeper.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Grass Pelt Gogoat: 204-240 (45.3 - 53.3%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Grass Pelt Gogoat: 308-366 (68.4 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Grass Pelt Gogoat in Sun: 372-440 (82.6 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Rock Slide OHKOs Talonflame and Zard X after SR.

Here's an idea for a Roserade set!

Roserade @ Flame Plate
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball/Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Weather Ball
- Sleep Powder

Offensive Roserade's going to be a beast in this meta. Grass/Poison/Fire offers it nearly unresisted coverage, and it has more than enough power to sweep. Actually, I can imagine that Weather Ball in general is going to be seen pretty frequently in this meta.

Maybe fist plate can cause the holder to not miss an attack for one turn, since this will give an option to combat stall with confusion, burn, and paralysis. Most of the pokemon that learn these moves are just below average. Dynamic Punch is Toxicroak at 85, Inferno is Rapidash at 105, and Zap Cannon is Zapdos at 100, which is Tier 3 or Tier 2.

I feel that sky plate should either defog (after hazards) or clear weather effects (Delta Stream OP), since its more appropriate and if you still want water sport, insect plate is good since bugs need water to survive, a lot of them live in it in some part of their life, and so on. It also doesn't have probable field effects, as it's not listed now. If you want to talk about plates not matching their effects, what should we change draco plate to?

Trick room & weather teams are gonna be nasty, as they don't need to waste a space on plolitoad or a moveslot to set-up. This meta looks heavy stall or BO, which is different from the traditional meta as most are hyper offense. Hoopa-U with Spoopy Plate seems like the best mon in the game based on potential, since it kills whatever it wants.

Edit: Gogoat looks like an amazing wall
Edit 2: Tailwind OP

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For anyone arguing here, I don't really have an opinion on what plate should do what, but arguing that effects like Tailwind or custom effects should be included is nonsense. This OM was specifically approved on the change that no effects besides the full field effects would be included. Saying that they should be won't help at all.

Also I'm getting a bit crazy from all the field effects x.x. It's so confusing and annoying to keep track of them all, although Trick Room isn't as good as I expected.

What he said. Discussing what things should be is not helping this thread because it's not going to change. Rather, discuss the current effects of plates.

Or if you have an issue with flavor (i.e. an effect should be on a different type plate) then you can bring that up.

The only thing I have to say is maybe Rain should be on Sky Plate and Water Sport should be on Splash Plate.

What he said. Discussing what things should be is not helping this thread because it's not going to change. Rather, discuss the current effects of plates.

Or if you have an issue with flavor (i.e. an effect should be on a different type plate) then you can bring that up.

The only thing I have to say is maybe Rain should be on Sky Plate and Water Sport should be on Splash Plate.
Thank you for clarifying that for everyone. Also I will make that flavour change you suggested because it actually makes sense given Rain -> Clouds -> Sky.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Thank you for clarifying that for everyone. Also I will make that flavour change you suggested because it actually makes sense given Rain -> Clouds -> Sky.
I too agree with the Sky Plate -> Rain and Splash Plate -> Water Sport because it generally makes sense for the same reasons you said. If this change does go through, I'll happily change it in the code.

EDIT: did

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey, what about a first turn Quash for Fist Plat? That would basically help counter powerful weather sweepers, as it basically turns the holder into a powerful vengekiller by making the opponent move last regardless of speed. Of course it should only work first turn. Its kinda like Boxers psyching out their opponent into moving last, so theirs flava for yah!

Maybe Insect Plate can be a permanent Powder? That would be a great plate for Bug and Steel types, especially Scizor.

Hey, what about a first turn Quash for Fist Plat? That would basically help counter powerful weather sweepers, as it basically turns the holder into a powerful vengekiller by making the opponent move last regardless of speed. Of course it should only work first turn. Its kinda like Boxers psyching out their opponent into moving last, so theirs flava for yah!

Maybe Insect Plate can be a permanent Powder? That would be a great plate for Bug and Steel types, especially Scizor.
Plz do stahp Q_Q
The dream is dead.
If its not on this list we're not allowed it!
http://veekun.com/dex/moves/search?target=12

EDIT: (Adding this to OP)

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh really sorry. I didn't know we couldn't talk about it anymore.

Anyways I thought of this set to support Mega Camelrupt.

Pangoro @ Mind Plate
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

This set is designed to set up Trick Room for Mega Camelrupt to sweep later in the game. Knock Off is to cripple switch ins. Drain Punch is STAB with semi reliable recovery. Gunk Shot is to smack Fairies on the switch and Parting Shot is to provide much needed momentum, and to get in Megarupt in on weakened foes.

Oh really sorry. I didn't know we couldn't talk about it anymore.

Anyways I thought of this set to support Mega Camelrupt.

Pangoro @ Mind Plate
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

This set is designed to set up Trick Room for Mega Camelrupt to sweep later in the game. Knock Off is to cripple switch ins. Drain Punch is STAB with semi reliable recovery. Gunk Shot is to smack Fairies on the switch and Parting Shot is to provide much needed momentum, and to get in Megarupt in on weakened foes.
I feel like better Mega Camerupt support would be something that forces Water-types (and, ideally, Ground-types) out so you can pivot into Mega Camerupt on that switch. Celebi seems like a good option, functioning as sort of a blanket check to Water- and Ground-types, and it can pass Mega Camerupt a Substitute (or even a Nasty Plot!). It would be slow under Trick Room, but that's good for a Baton Passer anyways. It would enjoy the same sun that Mega Camerupt does as well, with its Synthesis access and potential Solar Beam use if you feel cheeky.

Bump. Please don´t let this thread die. I remember stumbling over the old "Field Control" thread and loving the idea of it, but since that thread was several months old, I wasn´t sure whether to revive it or not.

Anyway, time for some defensive rain gimmicks:

Anti-Rain (Heliolisk) @ Sky Plate / Meadow Plate
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder
- Grass Knot
- Glare
- Volt Switch

What´s this? Defensive Heliolisk? As crappy as it sounds, Heliolisk can switch into most offensive rain pokémon thanks to its immunity to Water moves (try to predict a Scald/Hydro Pump to recover from entry hazards) and either cripple them with Glare or just murder them with Thunder or Grass Knot. Volt Switch is for momentum-grabbing. Nature and EVs are fully defensive because this Heliolisk is supposed to deal with Swift Swim users, which outspeed even a fully invested Timid Heliolisk anyway. The choice between Sky Plate and Meadow Plate is up to you: Sky Plate makes sure you can abuse Dry Skin recovery and 100 % accurate Thunder even if the enemy doesn´t use rain, while Meadow Plate + enemy rain gives you even more recovery and powers up Grass Knot. Now time for some calculations (these are all assuming that your enemy will carry the Sky Plate instead of a Life Orb/Choice Specs):

252+ SpA Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heliolisk: 141-166 (43.1 - 50.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Dry Skin recovery
0 SpA Heliolisk Thunder vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Kingdra: 133-157 (42.7 - 50.4%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Omastar Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heliolisk: 74-88 (22.6 - 26.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock and Dry Skin recovery
0 SpA Heliolisk Thunder vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Omastar: 342-404 (121.7 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Ludicolo Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heliolisk: 168-198 (51.3 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Dry Skin recovery (just pray it misses)
0 SpA Heliolisk Thunder vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ludicolo: 127-151 (42.1 - 50.1%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

216 SpA Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Heliolisk: 63-75 (19.2 - 22.9%) -- possible 8HKO after Stealth Rock and Dry Skin recovery
0 SpA Heliolisk Thunder vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tornadus-T: 308-366 (103 - 122.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Unfortunately Tornadus gets Superpower, which is a guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock :(

Note that even with Grassy Terrain on the field, Heliolisk gets OHKOed by an Earthquake from Mega Swampert, and a Stone Edge from Kabutops is an almost guaranteed OHKO, so don´t even bother with physical Swift Swimmers. Another problem is Seismitoad since it doesn´t have to rely on the shaky accuracy of Focus Blast:
252+ SpA Seismitoad Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heliolisk: 182-216 (55.6 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Dry Skin recovery

Yeah, maybe defensive Heliolisk isn´t such a good idea after all, but Water immunity + Glare seems like an interesting niche to combat Swift Swim users. Anyway, next one:

Goodra @ Sky Plate
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature / Sassy Nature
- Rest
- Thunder
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Bomb / Earthquake

As straight forward as it gets. Max EVs and Nature to abuse Goodra´s massive SpD, though you can obviously tweak them if you want to survive certain physical attacks. Thunder gets perfect accuracy thanks to rain and together with Dragon Pulse its coverage is almost as good as BoltBeam. Sludge Bomb is for Fairies, though Earthquake is an option if Flame Plate Heatran becomes a common threat (in that case, a Sassy nature is preferred to not weaken the power of Earthquake). You need to watch out for other weathers in general, as Goodra will be a sitting duck if it uses Rest on the turn your enemy changes weather.

And finally:
Manaphy @ Sky Plate
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rest
- Scald
- Energy Ball / Ice Beam / Psychic

At first I was looking at the defensive Calm Mind set, but you only have five turns of rain (even fewer if your enemy changes the weather), so a quick set up like this will work better. One Tail Glow allows Manaphy to destroy most walls (two Tail Glows are necessary for Chansey, which can´t Toxic you thanks to Hydration). STAB Scald under Rain is your most powerful asset unless your enemy has a Dry Skin user :P The choice between Energy Ball, Ice Beam and Psychic depends on whether your team struggles with Water Pokémon, Dragon Pokémon or Grass/Poison Pokémon.

I feel like Gravity teams will be really strong this meta, as there is nothing to turn off or replace Gravity, meaning strong Ground resists are going to be very important.

Bulky Grass types like Tangrowth, Torterra, Chesnaught and Gourgeist will all be handy to have around.

Tangrowth could utilise Splash, Flame, Meadow, Toxic and Trick Plates each to great effect.
As could Chesnaught and Gourgeist. These 3 could also run Draco Plate if you wanna be taking Earth Power > Earthquake.
I feel like Torterra's best option will be sun plate. It doesn't abuse the sun by itself that well but its typing gives it good synergy with other Sun abusers.
Note that Torterra and Chesnaught resist the Edgequake combo.

Bug types also resist Ground but most die to Edgequake. Mega Heracross has 80/115 Def that could be used as an offensive check to Ground spam. Bulk Up could possible work. Outside of that there is really just Wormadam-Sand. If you're desperate it might just be able to get by due to a lack of boosting items, if you have weather and terrain removing support.

This is actually one of few metas where you can reverse the power creep using Icicle and Pixie Plates.

I've come to realise that Ghost types will likely be some of the best Spooky Plate holders ironically enough. This is because Ghost types can't be trapped, so you don't run the risk of screwing yourself over should the opponent double switch or use a pivoting move.

Gengar is the most obvious one. Thanks to its great speed, coverage and SpA allowing it to revenge many pokemon outside of weather speed boosters. Standard AoA attacker sets or Sub/Will-O-Wisp + Hex sets will both work wonders, or your could try to be really evil and do something like Trick Scarf, or something similar to this:

Gengar @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Infestation / Mean Look
- Perish Song
- Shadow Ball / Taunt / Substitute / Protect / Disable

Basically Mega Gengar junior (obviously no where near as stupid though). You use your one turn trap in Fairy Lock to get off a longer lasting trap with Infestation/Mean Look. From there you choose which ever two moves you think will last you the required turns. That's full Perish trap (2nd spread), otherwise you can opt for Shadow Ball to revenge kill most mons and then Perish Trap really passive mons (e.g. For things like Chansey only need Taunt, so can afford to run Shadow Ball). If you do run Shadow Ball it may be nice to have a 2nd Spooky Plate holder to come in and use on last Protect, because it will greatly increase the amount of pokemon you can pull this off against.

I feel like Gravity teams will be really strong this meta, as there is nothing to turn off or replace Gravity, meaning strong Ground resists are going to be very important.

Bulky Grass types like Tangrowth, Torterra, Chesnaught and Gourgeist will all be handy to have around.

Tangrowth could utilise Splash, Flame, Meadow, Toxic and Trick Plates each to great effect.
As could Chesnaught and Gourgeist. These 3 could also run Draco Plate if you wanna be taking Earth Power > Earthquake.
I feel like Torterra's best option will be sun plate. It doesn't abuse the sun by itself that well but its typing gives it good synergy with other Sun abusers.
Note that Torterra and Chesnaught resist the Edgequake combo.

Bug types also resist Ground but most die to Edgequake. Mega Heracross has 80/115 Def that could be used as an offensive check to Ground spam. Bulk Up could possible work. Outside of that there is really just Wormadam-Sand. If you're desperate it might just be able to get by due to a lack of boosting items, if you have weather and terrain removing support.

This is actually one of few metas where you can reverse the power creep using Icicle and Pixie Plates.

I've come to realise that Ghost types will likely be some of the best Spooky Plate holders ironically enough. This is because Ghost types can't be trapped, so you don't run the risk of screwing yourself over should the opponent double switch or use a pivoting move.

Gengar is the most obvious one. Thanks to its great speed, coverage and SpA allowing it to revenge many pokemon outside of weather speed boosters. Standard AoA attacker sets or Sub/Will-O-Wisp + Hex sets will both work wonders, or your could try to be really evil and do something like Trick Scarf, or something similar to this:

Gengar @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Infestation / Mean Look
- Perish Song

Basically Mega Gengar junior (obviously no where near as stupid though). You use your one turn trap in Fairy Lock to get off a longer lasting trap with Infestation/Mean Look. From there you choose which ever two moves you think will last you the required turns. That's full Perish trap (2nd spread), otherwise you can opt for Shadow Ball to revenge kill most mons and then Perish Trap really passive mons (e.g. For things like Chansey only need Taunt, so can afford to run Shadow Ball). If you do run Shadow Ball it may be nice to have a 2nd Spooky Plate holder to come in and use on last Protect, because it will greatly increase the amount of pokemon you can pull this off against.
You can't do Trick-Scarf if you're holding Spooky Plate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)