First Competitive Ou Build

So, this is my current favorite Ou build, using my personal favorite Fire Grass Water core. It's mostly offensive like a lot of my other team builds, and has a great play style to it, so i hope you like it!

Ferrothorn
Item: Focus Band
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Impish
------------
Moves:
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Power Whip
Thunder Wave
------------------
Evs:
252 Hp
252 Defense
4 Attack
--------------------
Description:
It runs the obvious and all too necessary spikes set, and thunder wave to stop or at least slow down some of the opening threats, and power whip for backup. The Ev setup on this one makes for a great wall, and the focus band can help insure at least one layer of spikes get put down. The iron barbs can also help it along, a lot of the opening threats are physically based, so it can deter them from attacking.

Alakazam
item: Focus Sash
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Timid
-----------
moves:
Psychic
Calm Mind
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
---------------
Evs:
252 Special Attack
252 Speed
4 Hp
--------------------
Description: Now Alakazam is an obvious choice for a special sweeper, with great moves and an amazing Special Attack, he can wreck anything. Now his ability Magic Guard makes him an amazing switch in. He does suffer from the frailty all Alakazam and psychic pokemon like him face, but the focus sash does help him get over that fairly well.

Garchomp
Item: Muscle Band
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
---------------
Moves:
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
------------------
Evs:
252 Attack
252 Speed
4 Hp
--------------------
Description:
Now Garchomp, garchomp is insanely strong, and can wreck anything that isn't carrying the Choice Band Blizzard set. Its a strong check to any opposing dragon types. With its only real threat i've found coming from Hydreigon.

Venusaur
Item: Enigma Berry
Ability: Overgrow
Nature:Gentle
----------------
Moves:
Earthquake
Sludge Bomb
Power Whip
Leech Seed
----------------------
Description: Venusaur here is the special Defense bulk every team needs, it walls, it leech seeds, it can wreck with sludge bombs and power whips, and can do whatever else you need. The enigma berry is a precaution for the very powerful threats in the tier. Leech seed is something i recommend having at least one Pokemon on each team to set it up, and i was happy to give it to Venusaur here. Overall a powerhouse, i haven't seen one thing i want to substitute for it.

Volcarona
Item: Wise Glasses
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Modest
-----------------------
Moves:
Quiver Dance
Fiery Dance
Bug Buzz
Giga Drain
---------------------
Evs:
252 Special attack
252 Speed
4 Hp
--------------------------
Description: Now Wise Glasses Volcarona can be a world of hurt, and its a great backup plan when you cant use Alakazam. With a check to even its weaknesses using its massively powerful giga drain. Though a lot of things can run it over, with the obvious X4 rock type weakness and the ground and water types, that are both common, its still a worthwhile member to the team.

Vaporeon
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
----------------------
moves:
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Scald
Toxic
----------------------
Evs:
252 Hp
252 Defense
4 Special Attack
--------------------------
Description:
So Vaporeon is the final member of the team, rounding out some of the others weaknesses fairly well. With its modest Special Attack and amazing Hp and Defense, along with a pretty great move pool. The only things that really threatens vaporeon that are really common are Breloom, Thundurus-T, Magnezone, and Rotom-W, which can all be worked around with some good predictions.

Now this team works extremely well, and i hope you agree. Feel free to test it out, and i would love suggestions for different builds or movesets, now i'm off to build more teams and test new sets, buh-bye!

This team will likely get a lot of corrective responses but I'll just start with the most obvious one. Venusaur is not a Pokemon that can succeed without the sun. It is simply too slow. It also will do pittance in damage to anything if it doesn't have a physically offensive nature or EV investment. The item as well is too situational.

Wise Glasses and Muscle Band are two items that in my opinion are inferior to life orb. The loss of damage is significant.

Alakazam is a tad too frail to set up Calm Minds. It would resemble wasting a turn in if not used carefully against faster foes.

And finally, (I'd rather not make this post long), Focus Band is a terrible item. Even more so on Ferrothorn. It relies on small probability not to mention it would rarely see use due to Ferro's bulk. There are more problems with this team but I will stop here.

In the end of the day if you're having fun playing with this team then don't change a single thing. Good Luck.

Thanks

yeah, and enigma berry has done a good bit for me, venusaur has not really dwindled from lack of sun either, and focus band on him was very, very just in case, and nothing else really fit, also, Alakazam's Calm Mind was just filler, and has done some good work for me, but thanks for your input.

any suggestions on a replacement for Ferrothorns item?

Good luck to you too.

It seems like you are trying to play by item clause, which doesn't exist on Smogon OU.

If you don't want to give it leftovers I'd advice to give it Shed Shell so it can escape from Magnezone, Wobbuffet and Gothitelle.

Alright, first off, change Venusaur's nature to Mild, change overgrow to chlorophyll, and change leech seed to HP Fire, and Sludge Bomb to Sleep Powder. This will allow Venusaur to be able to deal with a lot of it's common switch-ins. Secondly, change Ferrothorn's item to Leftovers, focus band will NEVER come in handy, it's too luck based. Finally, Alakazam should be running all out offense with a focus sash set, so you should replace calm mind with Hidden Power Ice, since your team looks pretty weak to scarf MoxieMence once Ferrothorn is dead. Also, change the 4 ev's on Volcarona to def, so that you have an odd HP number and can switch into Stealth rock more. Next, replace Hydro Pump on Vaporeon with wish, and ice beam with protect. This will allow Vaporeon to stall out a lot more. Finally, change wise glasses on Volcarona to Life orb, and change Garchomp's item to Choice Scarf, and replace swords dance with Fire Blast. Your team lacks a scarfer, something that is HUGE in this metagame. With a scarf, Garchomp will be able to do more damage to opposing enemy teams, and also lets you have a check to Scarf Moxiemence.

That seems to be the gist of what I can see from this, good luck in your battling career.

It seems like you are trying to play by item clause, which doesn't exist on Smogon OU.

If you don't want to give it leftovers I'd advice to give it Shed Shell so it can escape from Magnezone, Wobbuffet and Gothitelle.
thanks.
I was totally playing by item clause, but that's because i'm so used to playing by it. XD i think ill switch it to leftovers.

Alright, first off, change Venusaur's nature to Mild, change overgrow to chlorophyll, and change leech seed to HP Fire, and Sludge Bomb to Sleep Powder. This will allow Venusaur to be able to deal with a lot of it's common switch-ins. Secondly, change Ferrothorn's item to Leftovers, focus band will NEVER come in handy, it's too luck based. Finally, Alakazam should be running all out offense with a focus sash set, so you should replace calm mind with Hidden Power Ice, since your team looks pretty weak to scarf MoxieMence once Ferrothorn is dead. Also, change the 4 ev's on Volcarona to def, so that you have an odd HP number and can switch into Stealth rock more. Next, replace Hydro Pump on Vaporeon with wish, and ice beam with protect. This will allow Vaporeon to stall out a lot more. Finally, change wise glasses on Volcarona to Life orb, and change Garchomp's item to Choice Scarf, and replace swords dance with Fire Blast. Your team lacks a scarfer, something that is HUGE in this metagame. With a scarf, Garchomp will be able to do more damage to opposing enemy teams, and also lets you have a check to Scarf Moxiemence.

That seems to be the gist of what I can see from this, good luck in your battling career.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Ill test the ScarfChomp.

Although with few common Sun teams that i've seen and volcarona, who already has a pretty great moveset to use Sunny Day, chlorophyll seems a little odd

Oh, right, forgot to mention that if you are gonna change venusaur to chlorophyll, then you need to change power whip to Giga Drain.

ferrothorn focus band --> leftovers
garchomp--> choice scarf. This is very important, because your team lacks a scarfer. A choice scarfed pokemon is very, very important to a team, to revenge kill threats and avoid getting swept, as well as help with late game sweeping of their own.
Also, venasuar should use black sludge or life orb, and volcarona leftovers or life orb as well.
Also, your team seems to benefit a lot from sun with venasur and volcarnoa, with ferrothorn being the only one that doesn't appreciate boosted fire moves. Other than that, cool team!

Well ive made 'Chomp a scarfer, venusaur a special beast, and i switched volcarona's quiver dance for Sunny day just to get some of that boost for the whole team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)