XY NU First competitive team, could use some help.

Just started playing about a week ago. I've been throwing some stuff together, reading the dex, battling, and I've ended up with this. A lot of these are just imported pokes I've fiddled with but I love the flow of this team.

Bruno (Pangoro) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Parting Shot
Hammer Arm and Crunch for STAB, Poison Jab to deal with the bulky Fairies my Dragalge can't, and Parting Shot keeps my momentum going. I start with him when I think I can OHKO a lead, but I've had the most success with him as a cleanup. Considering replacing Poison Jab with Earthquake.

Olenna (Leavanny) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat
- Leaf Storm
- Heal Bell
My swiss army knife and my primary lead. Leaf Storm and Magic Coat render most leads useless, Sticky Web keeps my slow team from moving dead last, and Heal Bell is great if Olenna's still around late-game. One of my favorites.

Wernstrom (Torkoal) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Yawn
Physical tank and Rapid Spinner. Yawn is such a great move, pretty much guarantees me a free Stealth Rock. Lava Plume deals with the entry setters Leaf Storm doesn't.

Beatrice (Dragalge) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
My primary sweeper. I've seen Dragalge used in place of bulky water pokemon before (thanks Scald) and I'm really into oddball dragons. Moveset kind of speaks for itself. I don't have much to say about Beatrice other than I really enjoy having her on my team :)

Dmitri (Carracosta) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
Another cleanup hitter. Shell Smash isn't hugely difficult to get rolling because Carra's innately tanky, Waterfall and Stone Edge for STAB and Aqua Jet for focus sashers. However, I feel that out of everyone on my team, he pulls the least weight.

Sylph (Togetic) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Wish
- Toxic
Stall wall Togetic. I've had so many people forfeit because of this annoying little fairy. Full investment into Def and SpD to soak all the things, and with Wish, Toxic, and Protect, I can just stall stall stall. Dazzling Gleam is nice as well~

So that's my team! I feel like it's pretty strong, but there's definitely room for improvement- I don't really have Earthquake or any Flying coverage. Let me know what you think :)

Iron Fist is an ability which powers up only punching moves (I don't think any of your Pangoro's moves are punching). Mold breaker is better for your Pangoro :)

Hi there! Remember that RMTs must have at least 3 lines of description per pokemon as required by the rules. I think that the main issue with this team is that there isn't any overall purpose. On the one hand, you have stron offensive pokemon such as Pangoro, Carracosta, and Dragalge waiting to take full advantage of Sticky Web. But at the same time, you have Torkoal and Togetic, both incredibly defensive pokemon with little offensive presence, resulting in a loss of offensive pressure that could potentially result in the opponent setting up and sweeping you, as your team relies on Sticky Web to keep them under control. Your team is also a little bit weak to Stall teams as well. This said, it is a pretty fun team!

The first thing I would do is to replace Torkoal with Offensive Stealth Rock Camerupt. Offensive Stealth Rock Camerupt pairs amazingly with Carracosta, as it beats all of its common checks including Ferroseed, Seismitoad, and Vileplume, letting it easily punch holes into the opponent. It gets a better lead matchup against common SR pokemon than Torkoal, and more importantly has way more offensive presence to take advantage of Stealth Rock, giving the opponent no breathing room. You really don't need Torkoal, who loses momentum, and your team really doesn't get that much utility out of Rapid Spin, as you really are not going to be switching often. Regardless, Camerupt is a strong tank that will still be able to take a variety of hits, but has good offensive synergy alongside the rest of your team to fully utilize sticky web.

Camerupt @ Power Herb / Leftovers | Solid Rock
Naive | 32 Atk / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
Fire Blast | Earthquake | Solarbeam / Hidden Power [Grass] | Stealth Rock

The other problem that I observed in regards do your team was Togetic. Like Torkoal, it allows pokemon such as Substitute Klinklang, Sub SD Bouffalant, etc. set up and sweep your team, because it is unable to effectively pressure them. I would consider trying out Offensive Xatu over it. Xatu still has the amazing utility of being able to the strong Fighting, Ground, and Grass types that Togetic checks, but being able to deal out far more damage between its amazing coverage moves and strong STAB means it is much less of a sitting duck, and it alone alongside Sticky Web can easily clean half a team. Furthermore, Xatu acts as a great stallbreaker, and stall teams will be unable to outdamage it, while their mindless Hazards and Status are deflected with Xatu's Magic Bounce, which really is superior to Torkoal's Rapid Spin on offensive teams anyways.

Xatu @ Life Orb | Magic Bounce
Modest | 152 HP / 180 SAtk / 176 Spd
Psychic | Grass Knot | Heat Wave | Roost

Minor Changes:
Leavanny: Shadow Claw > Heal Bell with Naive might be something worth considering. As a lead you will rarely get a chance to use Heal Bell, but Shadow Claw at the very least can bait in and kill the majority of Xatu variants for a easy 2HKO.
Carracosta: 4 Def > 4 HP minimizes the damage you take from Life Orb, which is key as this is your main sweeper, so you want to juice as many turns as you can out of it.

Cool team, hope this helped!

Hi there! Remember that RMTs must have at least 3 lines of description per pokemon as required by the rules. I think that the main issue with this team is that there isn't any overall purpose. On the one hand, you have stron offensive pokemon such as Pangoro, Carracosta, and Dragalge waiting to take full advantage of Sticky Web. But at the same time, you have Torkoal and Togetic, both incredibly defensive pokemon with little offensive presence, resulting in a loss of offensive pressure that could potentially result in the opponent setting up and sweeping you, as your team relies on Sticky Web to keep them under control. Your team is also a little bit weak to Stall teams as well. This said, it is a pretty fun team!

The first thing I would do is to replace Torkoal with Offensive Stealth Rock Camerupt. Offensive Stealth Rock Camerupt pairs amazingly with Carracosta, as it beats all of its common checks including Ferroseed, Seismitoad, and Vileplume, letting it easily punch holes into the opponent. It gets a better lead matchup against common SR pokemon than Torkoal, and more importantly has way more offensive presence to take advantage of Stealth Rock, giving the opponent no breathing room. You really don't need Torkoal, who loses momentum, and your team really doesn't get that much utility out of Rapid Spin, as you really are not going to be switching often. Regardless, Camerupt is a strong tank that will still be able to take a variety of hits, but has good offensive synergy alongside the rest of your team to fully utilize sticky web.

Camerupt @ Power Herb / Leftovers | Solid Rock
Naive | 32 Atk / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
Fire Blast | Earthquake | Solarbeam / Hidden Power [Grass] | Stealth Rock

The other problem that I observed in regards do your team was Togetic. Like Torkoal, it allows pokemon such as Substitute Klinklang, Sub SD Bouffalant, etc. set up and sweep your team, because it is unable to effectively pressure them. I would consider trying out Offensive Xatu over it. Xatu still has the amazing utility of being able to the strong Fighting, Ground, and Grass types that Togetic checks, but being able to deal out far more damage between its amazing coverage moves and strong STAB means it is much less of a sitting duck, and it alone alongside Sticky Web can easily clean half a team. Furthermore, Xatu acts as a great stallbreaker, and stall teams will be unable to outdamage it, while their mindless Hazards and Status are deflected with Xatu's Magic Bounce, which really is superior to Torkoal's Rapid Spin on offensive teams anyways.

Xatu @ Life Orb | Magic Bounce
Modest | 152 HP / 180 SAtk / 176 Spd
Psychic | Grass Knot | Heat Wave | Roost

Minor Changes:
Leavanny: Shadow Claw > Heal Bell with Naive might be something worth considering. As a lead you will rarely get a chance to use Heal Bell, but Shadow Claw at the very least can bait in and kill the majority of Xatu variants for a easy 2HKO.
Carracosta: 4 Def > 4 HP minimizes the damage you take from Life Orb, which is key as this is your main sweeper, so you want to juice as many turns as you can out of it.

Cool team, hope this helped!
Thanks for the critique, that helps me a lot- I'll try to gear my battles more towards setting up Carracosta, and try out the switches you recommended. Thanks so much for your time, I'll let you know how it goes :)

Hi Dropla, i have a couple of suggestions to help you improve your team.

Assuming you follow Brawlfest 's suggestion of changing Torkoal to offensive SR Camerupt (which is very scary with the Sticky Web support you happen to provide) i'd like to suggest you to add a spinblocker to your team over Togetic so that Leavanny's teamspot isn't immediatly vanified by a Rapid Spin user. The spinblocker i'd suggest is Choice Scarf Rotom who, apart from the spinblocking job, also helps in dealing with troublesome Flying-type Pokemon like Swellow who, immune to Sticky Web, can quite easily draw circles around your team with U-turn and hitting everything bar Carracosta really hard with their STAB moves. Here is the set

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

I'd also replace Hydro Pump on Dragalge (which doesn't provide any relevant coverage) with Hidden Power Fire as a safer move to hit Ferroseed or Dragon Pulse as a secondary STAB that can hit bulky Ground-types hard.
Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)