First Competitive Team! Need Opinions!

I haven't done that much competitive battling except for a rain team in B/W, but that did not turn out to be too well for me. This generation I am trying to start introducing myself into the competitive play field with a team that I have been using lately.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Nature: Timid
Ability: Protean
EV's: 4 Atk/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd

-Spikes
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-U-Turn/ Dark Pulse

I really like this pokemon for its incredibly high speed and its ability which let's it trick and play games with its opponents. With Spikes, it is able to set up an entry hazard and also transform into the ground type; something Rotom-W and its Volt Switch does not like. I'm using the Expert Belt to increase the STAB it gets from all the attacks it can dish out, making them all much stronger. What I'm worried about is whether or not the Timid nature is a good or bad thing to have on this team.

Talonflame Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Gale Wings
EV's: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spd

-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Swords Dance
-Agility/Roost

I really like this pokemon as a late game sweeper/cleaner. Once I have removed Stealth Rock from the battle field I send in this guy to sweep up what's left. The 4th move slot is what I'm having trouble picking. I have invested plenty of EV's into Speed IMO, but I seem to have more success with the Roost as the 4th slot (Mostly because of Priority it gets from Gale Wings) If the Flying Gem ever gets released/found, would it be a better idea to swap out Brave Bird and Leftovers for a Flying Gem+Acrobatics set? It seems that even late game Talonflame ends up scratched up. But I still see this Pokèmon as a good asset to my team.

Aegislash Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Stance Change
EV's: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP

-Autotomize
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword

I like using this guy because everyone is expecting the King's Shield set. Pretty much, I just want to get my speed up and set up a SD and get ready to charge. I like using Shadow Sneak better than Shadow Claw because of the accuracy and priority as well as the STAB boost. Sacred Sword is there to fight off the Dark types that threaten Aegislash. Aegislash is also used as a really effective Spin Blocker. I was hesitant on using this guy at first because of how confusing and peculiar his ability was to me, but when I put him on my team, he seemed to stick.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Iron Barbs
EV's: 252 HP/208 Def/48 Sp.Def
IV's: Spd-00

-Stealth Rock
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed

Unfortunately since Rain has been nerfed this Gen., and since the Occa Berry (weakens super-effective Fire attacks) is no longer around it is not doing as well as it did last gen on my rain team. Despite that, he is still an excellent wall for my team. I put the Rocky Helmet on Ferrothorn to wear down physical attackers who dare touch this thing. If Leech seed has already attached itself and they make contact, it not only hurts the opposing Pokémon through Iron Barbs, but also damages it through Rocky Helmet, and Leech seed, therefore taking a few bonus chunks out of the opposing Pokémon's health. Ferrothorn is quite an exceptional pokemon on my team for those reasons.

Excadrill Air Balloon
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Mold Breaker
EV's: 176 HP/52 Atk/80 Def/202 SpDef

-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance
-Rock Slide

Most people when they see Excadrill they think of an Offensive set. I decided to utilize a Bulkier set/Rapid Spinner. When Stealth Rock (or any other entry hazard) has come onto the battle field, I send out this guy to send those hazards flying. The reason why I applied a bulkier set is to well, make it bulkier and live longer on the battle field instead of taking a fatal EQ to the face. Once I've cleared the field and the actual Stealth Rock-er" has been eliminated, I send out Talonflame to sterilize the rest of the battle field.

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Nature: Bold
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 HP/252 Def/ 4 SpAtk

-Volt Switch
-Rest
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-Wisp

I made this set a little more bulkier so it could stay around to inflict burns to a lot of the Physical Attackers that threaten my team. Of course if it seems in danger or at low health it could simply use Rest and wake up immediately thanks to the Chesto Berry. Along with that, if it seems like it's in danger, it can always VoltSwitch out to safety.

Overall, this team has worked really well for me. I just need opinions if I should swap out Pokémon or change some movesets or if I should just tear this team down and start from scratch. I just need some basic evaluations on synergy and counters. Thank you in advance!!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)