BW OU First competitve team ever. Give me as many pointers as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first time doing anything in the competitve world. I know I am a bit of a noob, help me take care of that.

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty
Moves: Fake Out, Night Slash, Taunt, Counter

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP, 36 Def, 220 SpD
Nature: Calm
Moves: Scald, Shadow Ball, Will-O-Wisp, Recover

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP, 244 Def, 16 Spe
Nature: Impish
Moves: Earthquake, Ice Fang, Toxic, Roost

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Moves: Surf, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Rapid Spin

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Nature: Naive
Moves: Dragon Dance, Outrage, Fire Fang, Aqua Tail

Volcarona @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Nature: Modest
Moves: Quiver Dance, Rest, Bug Buzz, Fiery Dance

This team's not bad for a beginner. Alright, time for the criticizm;

Weavile: Don't have Counter on Weavile. It's just not a good option as Weavile will probably get killed fairly easily as its job is to hit fast and hit hard. Weavile does a much better job as a revenge killer than a lead, so try a Swords Dance set with Ice Shard instead of Taunt and Swords Dance instead of Counter. Keep Fake Out to surprise your opponents and potentially use as a lead to outpredict your opponent, as you can see your opponent's team before you face them. Try Life Orb over Sash and see which
Jellicent: Nothing to say here....
Gliscor: Good, but Protect/Substitute>Roost. It helps you stall your opponents way better and lets you regain some health with Poison Heal.
Starmie: Perfect, just perfect, bu this set is so predictable and widely used that just about every team has some sort of way to get rid of it. That, and you have no team members who can set up entry hazards and your defensive core isn't complete. You also have a large weakness to Rock. Who can help you? Forretress can! He is very defensive and can easily set up and spin away entry hazards. Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock and Spikes are all viable options. Also have Rapid Spin of course. Try this;

Forretress@Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy 252Def/252SpD/252HP
Nature: Sassy (+SpD -Spe) or Careful (+SpD -SpA)
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Toxic Spikes
-Gyro Ball/Volt Switch

Forretress is probably one of my favourite competitive battlers because he can set up and spin away so many entry hazards while maintaining a lot of health due to his high defenses. It's just so hard to decide whether to go for entry hazard extraordinaire with Rocks/Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Rapid Spin or to go for a more offensive set with Volt Switch and Gyro Ball. I personally like sitting ther while setting up hazards until they're all up.

Salamence: It's great, just try Earthquake instead of Fire Fang because of your weakness to Rock-types.
Volcarona: Do not ever do a defensive set on Volcarona. Instead, try this;

Volcarona@Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body 252Spe/252SpA/4SpD
Nature: Modest (+SpA -Atk)
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Giga Drain
-Quiver Dance

Volcarona has amazing SpAttack with a stat total of 480! (With investments and Life Orb boost). Quiver Dance is a move that boost Speed, SpA and SpD, Volcarona's best stats. Fiery Dance has a 50% chance to raise your SpA and has a nice 100 accuracy. Giga Drain nails Water-types and Rain teams and also heals off the tremendous amount of Stealth Rock damage that Volcarona takes with a 4x weakness to Rock. Bug Buzz is STAB and if the Rain is up as well due to the fact that Fiery Dance will do 50% less damage under Rain. All in all, it's a great set.

Ok, that's it, this team has a great offensive and defensive core. For a lead I'd normally use Forretress, but Weavile is nice sometimes if you spot a weakness in the opposing team or you feel confident that offense is better than defense in that case. I hope I helped!

Thanks for the tips. I will test out the changes you suggested. Although, you listed Forretress with 756 EVs. Which stat should I only invest four into?

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
read the rules, you need descriptions for all of your pokemon. if you pm me your descriptions I'll unlock your thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)