Gen 4 First HGSS Team!

1649221725593.png
1649221731525.png
1649221737049.png
1649221742634.png
1649221748642.png
1649221754338.png

Hello! I've been playing HeartGold along with a friend who's playing Platinum for a bit now, and we've decided to have a competitive battle using teams that we can assemble legitimately in-game (That means no mythical Pokemon like Jirachi). I've never played Gen 4 OU, so to be honest I have no idea what I'm doing. Going into the teambuilding process, I knew that I wanted to use ExtremeSpeed Dragonite since that was a new addition from HeartGold and I'd like to show it off. That led me to Magnezone, who I know was successfully paired with Dragon types in Gen V. While Magnezone is unobtainable in HeartGold, I can still obtain him by trading with my friend, so that wasn't an obstacle. The rest of the team is just Pokemon that I personally really like, so I'm not too sure if they have any synergy with each other.

1649221589112.png

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

I knew from watching some of False Swipe Gaming's videos that Stealth Rocks are mandatory in Gen 4, so I decided that I would use the coolest rocker: Tyranitar. I slapped the scarf on him because I didn't have a scarfer, and Tyranitar seemed like he might be able to fulfill that role well. He has Pursuit to kill Starmie and other psychics, Stone Edge for STAB, and Earthquake for Coverage.

1649221613625.png

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 32 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Mild Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic

Here is the first part of my "core". Magnezone's job is simple: trap steels so Dragonite can sweep uncontested later. HP Fire is for Steels not weak to electric. I pulled the set off Smogon, so to be honest I don't really understand why he has Magnet Rise. Is it really worth a turn to set it up? When would I even get the opportunity? If it's viable, I would have used Specs Magnezone, but I didn't see it listed on Smogon, so I assumed there had to be something in Gen 4 that makes that set unviable. Is it the lack of Volt Switch?

1649221633950.png

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

The second part of the "core", Dragonite is what I attempted to build this team around. I just really wanted an excuse to use him, and since Salamence and Garchomp are banned to Ubers and not easily accessible in HeartGold, I knew I could justify using him. I would consider using Fire Punch over Extreme Speed or Earthquake, but Dragonite's only supposed to be on the field once the steels are gone, so I didn't think that was necessary.

1649221672363.png

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Scizor is one of my favorites, and I've never had the chance to use him outside of Simulators like Showdown. Since there's no team preview, I wanted something that could act as a scout for my team. He doesn't run speed so he can act as a bulky pivot. Superpower is for Tyranitar and Blissey, who I think would otherwise wall my team. I considered running Swords Dance, but I didn't want to have too many setup sweepers so Dragonite could shine.

1649221692858.png

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Starmie's also one of my favorite Pokemon. This is my Spinner, he removes Stealth Rocks so that I can send in Dragonite and Scizor without worrying about them taking chip. As a plus, Starmie hits like a truck and has a lot of speed, so he can potentially sweep. I considered using Recover over Ice Beam or Thunderbolt, but in the end, I went with coverage over longevity. If I didn't pack Ice Beam no other Pokemon on my team would have Ice attacks, and I would really prefer to have something else that can hit Dragons other than Dragonite.

1649221715295.png

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Last but not least, Gengar. I considered using him as a lead, but for now, he's here as support. Taunt is there to shut down set-up sweepers and Blissey, and Will-O-Wisp is to cripple physical attackers. However, I mainly wanted him on the team for two reasons: Spinblocking, and absorbing Toxic Spikes. For this team, I really wanted to set up hazards on the opponent's side and prevent hazards from appearing on my side, to preserve Dragonite and allow him to sweep later. To be honest, I really like Gengar, but I'm not sure if this set is the best for my team. I might run Life Orb instead.

To be honest, I'm the least sure about Gengar, Scizor, and lead Tyranitar. I'd like to keep these Pokemon on my team, but I don't know if the sets I decided on are any good or if these Pokemon even synergize at all. As for Magnezone, I'm considering running Specs or Scarf instead of Leftovers, but if Magnet Rise is really necessary, I won't.

Any suggestions for alternate team members or sets are greatly appreciated!

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I was considering posting in threads like this more often, so why not start now? Knowing what I know about Gen 4 OU (I'm not the most experienced on ladder, but then again I'm more of a casual player anyway), I like how this team is easy to learn and has a little bit of everything you need on offense. Defensively the team doesn't have too much to fall back on, but it seems that your hyper-offensive focus is based around "hit the opponent before they can eliminate me". I can't really say any adjustments need made to this team without handicapping the team in other areas, and I also personally respect Scarf T-Tar as an anti-lead with Sandstorm breaking most Focus Sashes and Stealth Rocks being Stealth Rocks per usual. My only question out of curiosity is why Gengar's EV spread? I'm just curious, I'm sure there's a reason for the 80 HP investment.

I think you have a good foundation, the only thing is if you’re gonna play all out offense, it’s a bit hard to manage boosting threats like DD Gyara if you go with choiced Mons with no way to revenge them. Gyarados sets up on Scizor or Ttar and then nothing really stands in its way other than Trying to bring it down with ESpeed + BP if its been chipped.

IMO the easiest option is to use Scarf Magneton over Magnezone. Magneton is faster, and so it is able to outspeed and revenge DD Gyarados and DD Dragonite reliably. You lose Magnet Rise which means you can’t reliably remove Bronzong anymore as it negates EQ- (since you asked in your post)

you still remove Skarmory, which is the biggest steel standing in Dragonite’s way.

But you can run Fire Punch over ESpeed on Dragonite if it’s that much of an issue. Tbh, the rest of your team handles Bronzong p well already.

You also get rid of Scarf Lucario locked into anything but Close Combat with Scarf Magneton who can interrupt Dnite’s sweep and can come in and revenge everyone p easily except a full health Scizor.

Set would be: Naive @ Scarf, max SAtk, Speed, T Bolt | HP Ice | T wave / Toxic | Explosion

You can try out other options in the last 2 slots. If you ditch explosion, use Timid ofc. I like T Wave because you have the option to neuter Scarf Rachi if you don’t want to play the “will he flinch me to death before I kill?” game. Toxic will cripple Swampert and Hippo.

Also, don’t use HP Fire on Scarf Magneton as you’ll be slower than +1 Max Speed Gyarados, which is the whole point of the change anyway

Thanks so much for all the tips! I never even considered using an NFE, given that there's no eviolite in this Gen, but you brought up some great points! Gonna have to breed another Magnemite lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)