[First OU Team] Help!

I have been playing Pokemon WiFi battles for maybe a week now, but I still don’t have a proper team. I tend to just throw in random Pokes and hope for the best. I don’t have any developed synergy or real focus to my teams. As a result, I lose a lot. I know I'm not making any terrible misplays (I did, however, once try to Fake Out a Chandelure the first turn of a battle but c'mon, who hasn't?), and I actually make a lot of really good predictions, so I think (hope) that when I sit down and try to make an actual TEAM, I might win a few games. So I decided to do a little research and came up with this as a first draft.

First Look​

Here's How I Put My Team Together

I started with the D-Nite. He has the bulk I want and the ability to sweep with the right setup.

Jirachi resists a lot of Dragonite's weaknesses, and Dragonite resists Jirachi's, making them a great team. Jirachi's ability to wall of Special damage like it was nothing make it a go-to switch in for Latios/Latias, as well as a plethora of other threats.

Now to cover Jirachi's weaknesses (Ground/Fire), I needed someone who could take a hit and still hit back. Rotom-W seemed like a good option for both reasons, and his Choice Scarf means he can out speed many threats and exploit their weaknesses with his amazing coverage and attacking power.

I started with the intent to have Heatran for a late game sweeper. That probably wouldn't have worked out so well because of the prominence of EQ and Excadrill in OU. After that, I decided to use Heatran a little more bulky, which is a great idea (and I still might use him bulkier with Hidden Power Grass and have Tyranitar as a lead), but I ended up using him as a lead who can take hits, maim any physical attacker, and crush anything that doesn't resist Fire with his STAB Fire Blast.

Gengar's immunity to Ground and Fighting-type attacks are a huge selling point for me. He also can break mono-attackers with his SubDisable combo. He is very liable to be swapped for a different Pokemon if he doesn't actually play as I have planned. His monstrous Special Attack and good speed make him a very good special attacker, while his deep move pool make his set very changeable depending on which Pokemon are most threatening to the rest of my team.

Porygon2 was an amazing wall. I had a lot of success with him. His typing means that any Fighting-type that thinks they can hit him with a Drain Punch or two will be punching air. Ghost-type, Gengar-shaped air.

Instead of Porygon2, I decided to go with Gliscor to cover some very noticeable holes. Excadrill and Haxorus are a problem for a lot of my team and Gliscor makes an excellent attacking Wall. His additional move to my team, Taunt, means that opposing Pokemon won't able to set up as well (or at all) while Gliscor is around.

And now, here is my team in detail:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
  • Fire Blast
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Stealth Rock

Heatran lead set, capable of maiming physical attackers and Focus Sash users. Bulky enough to set up Stealth Rocks without taking too much damage, while still being able to wreck anything that doesn't resist it's STAB Fire Blast. It can maim physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp and Dragon Pulse any Dragon-type (or type that resists Fire).

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Nature: Careful
  • Iron Head
  • Body Slam
  • Wish
  • Ice Punch

Jirachi functions as a great Special Wall. He is a great Wish Supporter and can paralyze with his Body Slam. His ability to take hits for Dragonite is unmatched and can take on a lot of Pokemon that threaten Dragonite and Gliscor. Iron Head and Body Slam are obvious annoyer moves, while Wish makes sure everyone stays healthy. Ice punch is for Dragon-types such as Latios/Latias, and to get some damage on Gliscor.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spe
Nature: Adamant
  • Dragon Dance
  • Dragon Claw
  • Fire Punch
  • Roost

This is a slightly more bulky set than I'm used to running with Dragonite, but is actually very useful and can really take advantage Dragon Dance. What makes Dragonite even better is his Multiscale ability, which makes him doubly bulky when he has full health (enter: Roost). Fire Punch is for Steel-types and Dragon Claw is for everything else.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Speed
  • Volt Switch
  • Hydro Pump
  • Hidden Power Grass
  • Trick

Thanks I decided to run a scarfed Rotom-W because speed was a problem on my team. Volt Switch is useful for STAB scouting, while Hydro Pump is a ridiculous STAB water move. Hidden Power Grass is for Water/Ground types, such as Gastrodon and Swampert. Trick can really cripple a wall or attacker that requires setting up.

Rotom-W solves a lot of Jirachi's problems, most notably Ground-type attacks and a resistance to Fire. Rotom-W and Gengar can switch in with careful Ground-type predictions.

Gengar @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
  • Substitute
  • Disable
  • Shadow Ball
  • Focus Blast

I've tried a lot of Gengar sets from Choice Scarf Icy Wind Lead to Choice Specs to Life Orb. There are a lot of possibilities when it comes to the original Ghost of Pokemon. His deep move-pool, great SpA and Speed make him a great (and very unpredictable) late game sweeper. I haven't used this set as much, but the Substitute/Disable combo seem like they would great together. It can stop mono-attackers dead in their tracks, and can really stick it to a Conkeldurr that doesn't run Stone Edge. Also, the Ghost/Fighting attacking combo works wonders, especially with the high usage level of Steel and Psychic-types.

This set is kind of iffy. Perhaps another set (or Pokemon) would be more suitable?

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Speed
Nature: Impish
  • Earthquake
  • Swords Dance
  • Taunt
  • Ice Fang

Excadrill and Haxorus would tear through my team if it weren't for Gliscor. Since one of there main moves is Earthquake, there isn't much they can do to my Gliscor. Most of their other attacks wouldn't be effective against Gliscor either. Taunt prevents anyone from setting up, while Swords Dance is to set up myself. Earthquake is for anything on the ground, while Ice Fang is for anything in the air.

And there you have it...

I don't really care what happens to the team. I don't mind if someone decides to remove half the team as long as it makes sense. This isn't really so much of a "Rate My Team" as it is a "Help Me Build My Team So I Stop Getting Crushed", so if someone could help with the threat list, that would be awesome!

As a final note, do you think my Lead is suitable? Also, should I consider having a Rapid Spinner?

Offensive Threat List
Aerodactyl - Rotom-W
Breloom - Depends if it's Scarfed or not. If it is, switch in someone who I don't need to take a Spore. If not, Heatran or Dragonite.
Conkeldurr - Gengar. Just disable Stone Edge.
Darmanitan - Rotom-W or Dragonite.
Deoxys-S - Probably Jirachi, but I've never seen one before.
Dragonite - Gliscor. My Dragonite can also beat another Dragon-type if it is already set up.
Empoleon - Most of my team can take this thing out.
Espeon - Gengar probably. Never seen it.
Excadrill - Gliscor or Dragonite.
Gengar - He can't do much to Jirachi, who can get a paralysis on him for my Gengar to revenge kill later.
Gyarados - Rotom-W.
Haxorus - If he is Scarfed or Banded, switch into Heatran or someone to draw out the Earthquake, and then switch into Dragonite or someone immune to Ground-type attacks to setup. Gliscor.
Heatran - Rotom-W and Gengar can do a lot of damage
Heracross - Never seen one, don't know anything about it.
Hydreigon - Hit it with a Fighting attack or Heatran can Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power Ice it.
Infernape - Rotom-W and Heatran can make short work of Infernape.
Jirachi - Any Fire-type attacks. Heatran has Fire Blast and Earth Power.
Jolteon - Heatran's Earth Power.
Kingdra - Rotom-W
Kyurem - I don't know anything about this thing.
Landorus - Rotom-W
Latios - Jirachi
Lilligant - Never seen it. Fire-type attacks?
Lucario - Fire-type attacks. It's important to out-speed, so Gengar can Focus Blast it.
Machamp - Gengar can disable his DynamicPunch
Magnezone - Don't put a steel type in... Unless it's Heatran.
Mamoswine - Fire-type attacks
Metagross - Fire-type attacks, but also Earth Power is good
Mienshao - Gengar
Reuniclus - Gengar
Roserade - Fire-type attacks
Salamence - Pretty much the same deal as Dragonite, no?
Sawsbuck - Never seen this thing before.
Scizor - Grrr... Gliscor and Dragonite do a pretty good job.
Scrafty - Fighting type attacks. Don't let it bulk up.
Shaymin - Fire-type attacks. Dragonite is a good option.
Sigilyph - Is this that Psychic-bird looking thing?
Smeargle - Outspeed it and any STAB attack should kill it.
Starmie - Rotom-W. Gengar if it's going to rapid spin.
Terrakion - Fighting attacks work well. But so do Water and Ground.
Thundurus - Ice-type attacks work well. Jirachi could possibly wall it and get the Paralysis.
Tornadus - Ice-type attacks. Electric-type attacks.
Tyranitar - Gengar works pretty well here.
Venusaur - Anything fiery works, and so do Ice attacks. Watch out for Drought.
Victini - Rotom-W and Gengar work well.
Virizion - Fire-type attacks work well. Dragonite can switch in a lot.
Volcarona - Stealth Rock crushes this thing. If not, Rotom-W.
Weavile - Fighting type attacks, right? Never seen this guy before, wouldn't know.
Zoroark - Fighting-type attacks, but I'm pretty sure Porygon2 can handle himself here.

Defensive Threat List
Blissey - Gengar.
Bronzong - Fire-type attacks work well here.
Celebi - Almost everything can do something against this thing.
Chansey - Gengar.
Deoxys-D - Gengar.
Dusclops - Gengar. Watch out for Pain Split.
Ferrothorn - Dragonite can Setup on this thing so easily.
Forretress - ^Same thing goes. Also, watch out for Rapid Spin.
Gliscor - Ice-type attacks. Porygon2 Walls this thing pretty well.
Hippowdon - Rotom-W can run circles around Hippowdon with STAB Hydropump and Will-O-Wisp.
Jellicent - Rotom-W can do some damage to the Pringles man (Or woman).
Latias - Jirachi.
Murkrow - Never seen him before.
Ninetales - Water and Ground. Never actually seen one, though.
Politoed - Electric-type attacks.
Porygon2 - Anything Fighting-type.
Rotom-W - I really don't have anything super-effective against this thing, so a STAB attack might be my best option.
Skarmory - Fire-type attacks.
Snorlax - Fighting-type attacks and Gengar.
Suicune - Electric-type attacks.
Swampert - Same problem as Rotom-W. Probably just wear it down.
Tentacruel - Electric type attacks.
Vaporeon - ^Same.
Whimsicott - Fire-type attacks. Just go straight for the attack, because you will be taunted. He can only make so many subs.
Xatu - Never seen this thing before.
Zapdos - Ice and Rock-type attacks.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Once again, another Lead option? Maybe Tyranitar? And is having a Rapid Spinner in place of someone else viable? Other than that, just tell me what's wrong!

EDITS IN ITALICS

(Why are you so afraid of beeing a novice player? My first teams were much, much worse than this...)

To start, you don't need both Dragon Pulse and HP Ice on Heatran; drop one for SR and give Jirachi Fire Punch.

You seem to have a weakness to fast sweepers such as Thundurus and Excadrill; why not Scarf Jirachi?

Tell me what do you think harmpers you most and we'll start from that.

You seem rather Latios and Haxorus weak, excluding your Jirachi. A choice scarf or spec'd Latios can wreak havoc and Haxorus, well Haxorus can single handedly rip you apart. Once Dragonite is gone, you have nothing to take a CB Haxorus EQ. His ability is usually Mold Breaker, which nullifies Gengar's and Rotom's Levitate and hits them with Super Effective damage. Your only hope is Porygon2 and if this is late game, when you Pokemon are undoubtedly weakened, it may be gg. As for Dragon Dance versions, after 1 or 2 Dragon Dances, he sweeps you. One thing you could try is CB or LO Mamoswine over your Porygon2, as this seems like an offensive team and Porygon2 lowers your momentum a bit.

What I suggest you do is give Jirachi Fire Punch over Stealth Rock so you can hit Magnezone hard, who can trap your Jirachi and kill it, leaving you wide open for Haxorus or Latios to come in and clean up.

If you give Jirachi Fire Punch, you need to give your Heatran Stealth Rock. I also suggest you make your Heatran Specially Bulky with 252 EVs in both HP and Sp Def and give it Toxic over HP Ice. You have plenty of ways to take care of Gliscor and you have no chance of staying in against other dragons. You could also use Lava Plume over Fire Blast, but that is purely if you prefer the 30% burn over power. If you really wanted, you could give it Protect over Earth Power, as well, to rack up Toxic damage and scout for known Choice'd Pokemon moves. As for the item, you could use either Air Balloon, Shuca Berry, or Leftovers, it is up to you. Just think you should test that new Heatran out.

Best of Luck!!

Hey there. For your first team, this is pretty good.

On Heatran though, run Stealth Rock in the last slot, as that will let you run Protect in Jirachi's last slot, as without Protect, it is much harder to keep Jirachi alive.

Another thing I noticed is that Excadrill and Terrakion can cause you a lot of problems. Rotom-W takes a lot of damage from Return, and after some prior damage, is OHKO'd by +2 Return. Porygon2 can't really hit Excadrill, so it's free to set up Swords Dances and sweep you. Rock Polish + Swords Dance Terrakion destroys you as well. To fix both these issues, replace Porygon2 with a Swords Dance Gliscor.

Swords Dance Gliscor
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Speed
Nature: Impish
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance
-Taunt
-Ice Fang

SD Gliscor can be a fearsome sweeper late game, and can destroy pokemon such as Excadrill. Taunt is chosen in order to stop pokemon such as Skarmory, while Ice Fang is there to deal with dragons, namely Dragonite.

Since you do not have a scarfer, or any priority, added to the fact that your fastest poke only has base 110 speed, you will be in major trouble. Gengar is easily the most replaceable member of the team, so replace it with a rapid spin Starmie. Rapid Spin will also help your Dragonite greatly.

Rapid Spin Starmie
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
-Surf / Hydro Pump / Scald
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Rapid Spin

Recover allows Starmie to survive much longer and Rapid Spin for ages. Ice Beam is chosen over Thunderbolt in order to revenge kill dragon types, while also dealing more damage to grass types. For the water move, Hydro Pump allows for the most damage, although it has shaky accuracy. Surf is preferred due to the consistency, although Scald is usable as well in order to burn common switch-ins such as Jirachi and Ferrothorn.

Pretty Scrafty weak, and extremely Excadrill weak obviously. If you want something that deals with them and can also take on Dragon spam, then Skarmory would be a good replacement over Porygon2. Its Spikes can help wear down some of Dragonite's counters like Heatran, and you already have Gengar to block Rapid Spin so you really have nothing to lose. Although you're not really as weak to Scizor as you let on, Skarmory gives you a 100% counter to him, and is probably the best bet to come in on CB U-turns.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Switching to Skarmory gives you three Steel-types, which kind of limits what your team can do defensively. You might want to consider running something like Tyranitar in either Jirachi's or Heatran's place, since it gives you much-appreciate weather control and a more reliable way of dealing with Reuniclus as long as you use a Chople Berry as its item. Jirachi seems like the more replaceable member since if you don't pack Heatran, Mew will completely run all over you. Tyranitar counters the Lati twins just as well as Jirachi, and if you run Pursuit, you can trap and KO them early on which can pave the way for a Dragonite sweep.

Since Tyranitar can set up Stealth Rock, Heatran's fourth moveslot is freed up. Dragon Pulse and Hidden Power Ice cover a lot of the same thing, so you should try out Hidden Power Grass instead of Ice. This gives you something to hit Rotom-W on the switch, and also provides your team with something that can actually hurt Gastrodon, who is a major threat to you.

@IronGross: I appreciate your lesson on Pokemon's type chart, but my point still stands that Heatran and Jirachi fulfil much of the same niche, meaning one can be replaced by a different Pokemon that occupies a much different niche, thus improving the quality of the team!

How come having three Steel-types harmper defensively? Heatran is immune to Fire, only Heatran takes SE damage from Fighting moves, and Skarmory is immune to EQ.

One more thing I forgot to mention. You could put a Choice Scarf on Rotom-W, since you do not have any scarfers, and Rapid Spin Starmie would stop Rotom-W from taking entry hazard damage every time it switches in.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power Fire
-Trick

Volt Switch allows you to gain switch advantage, which is very beneficial. Hidden Power Fire is chosen over Hidden Power Ice because half your team as Ice moves already, and HP Fire can hit Ferrothorn hard and destroy Scizor. Trick can cripple common switch-ins such as Blissey and Gastrodon.

Are you sure HPFire is necessary and is better than just using T-Bolt?
Hidden Power Fire is very useful as it allows you to hit pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Celebi on the switch. Thunderbolt really isn't as useful, as there are very rare times when you would need to Thunderbolt something that badly instead of using Volt Switch

Thanks to everyone who commented and for you input. There are a lot of really good ideas. If someone could give me an idea for a lead, that would be amazing.

@IronGross Thanks for setting me straight with the Stealth Rock issue between Jirachi and Heatran. Also, thanks for the Scarf Jirachi idea, speed is kind of an issue.

@TheMasterOfOz Thanks for the Gliscor set! I've always had success with Gliscor, I don't know how I overlooked him.

@Iconic is Tyranitar worth it though? He has so many weaknesses.

Of course Gengar is viable-and I don't see how Tyranitar's weaknesses make it unreliable-not to mention it has the bulk and resistances to make up for the X4 Fighting wekaness.
Also, if you Scarf Jirachi, go Iron Head/Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Zen Headbutt or Trick with 4HP/252Atk/252Spe, Jolly.

Alright thanks. Would that be a usable Lead? Is Gengar a good option as is, or should I change his setup? I might change him for Tyranitar, give him Stealth Rocks and give Heatran some other move.

Heatran itself is a great lead. I personally use SR/Fire Blast/WOW/Dragon Pulse to suprise both Sashers and physical sweepers. Tyranitar works as well.

You could try a Jellicent over Gengar. Either the standard Water Absorb Jellicent, or you could try a gimmicky Cursed Body one.

I think I will keep Jirachi as Defensive and make Heatran a lead with max speed
Definitely keep Jirachi as defensive. You need a special wall, and Jirachi is a very excellent one. Also, there are no leads in 5th gen, unless you're running something such as a Deoxys-S suicide lead. Just lead with what best counters what you think your opponent will lead with based on team preview.

Definitely keep Jirachi as defensive. You need a special wall, and Jirachi is a very excellent one. Also, there are no leads in 5th gen, unless you're running something such as a Deoxys-S suicide lead. Just lead with what best counters what you think your opponent will lead with based on team preview.
Wow really? Thanks lol that's really helpful. Alrighty then Jirachi will be bulky

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
taunt on gliscor is good and can stop setups but without protect gliscor is surprisingly frail as he cannot regain tht much health from poison heal i reccomend replacing taunt with protect to give gliscor more bulk and survivability

Switch Willowips for Earth Power it would really help against Infernape Leads.
This Team is very Bulky except from Gengar but This team would do very welll in some cases.

I'd start with gengar as a lead, but swap disable for icy wind, always works for me, especially when a team leads out with a dragon type, as gengar can outspeed a hydreigon.

My lame tactic is to use icy wind w/ ice gem ;)

I'd start with gengar as a lead, but swap disable for icy wind, always works for me, especially when a team leads out with a dragon type, as gengar can outspeed a hydreigon.

My lame tactic is to use icy wind w/ ice gem ;)
I like the idea, especially since Dragon-leads are super annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)