SS OU First OU team or as I like to call it: Cinde Time

Hi, some of you might know me for what I do in the current VGC metagame but I wanted to try out singles and was told that OU would be a good place to start. I wanted to build a team around Libero Cinde because I love using it in VGC and have heard that it's good in singles. Now, time to explain what role each mon has.
Conkeldurr | SM | Smogon Strategy Pokedex

The Team

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt
- Gunk Shot

- Bulk Up

Like I said, I wanted to use Cinde because I like it for VGC and I thought it could be a great wall breaker. The movepool reflects the wall breaker idea I had, Pyro Ball is an amazing fire move, Zen Headbutt allows it to have an decent chance at beating Pex, Gunk Shot is to beat Prim and Clef, and Bulk Up so it can have true wall breaking potential. I went with heavy-duty boots so it can switch in easier if Corvi can't switch in and defog the hazards away.

Zeraora @ Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot
- Plasma Fists

One thing I notices that could beat Cinde was the Hippo, so I thought that a mixed Zerora set could be a good check to Hippo while still being an amazing mon. Movepool I feel like is good for a mixed set, Close Combat is just strong in general, Knock Off is valuable to have against stall, Grass Knot to beat Hippo, and Plasma Fist is just great stab. I chose Expert Belt so it could hit Hippo hard, sure it won't OHKO but it'll till do a ton of damage. Also it's ability is nice for prediction, like what if Corvi might get hit by an electric move, just switch in Zeraora and it'll eat that move.

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Body Press

Kommo-o is the teams stealth rocker, While there are better stealth rockers I felt like Kommo fitted in perfectly for the team Movepool is simple but works for the set, Stealth Rock because it isn't Kommo without it, Toxic is great for residual damage, Earthquake and Body Press are so it can do some damage if needed plus EQ does do fine against Pex. Leftovers is basically the best item for a bulky mon.

Conkeldurr | SM | Smogon Strategy Pokedex

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

Conk does one thing really well, Killing Pex. Since I built this team with wall breaking in mind I knew that having a Pex counter was basically needed and Conk does that extremely well while still being an amazing mon for the team. Earthquake so Pex doesn't exist, Close Combat is amazing stab and helps against Hippo, Mach Punch for killing weaken mons, and Knock Off is great utility.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Body Press
- U-turn

Corvi is here as the hazard remover, Hazards make it hard for mons on the team to switch in, so having a defog mon helps a lot. Defog because it wouldn't be Corvi without it, Roost for recovery, Body Press so it can do some damage if needed, and U-turn so it can switch out and let the offense in safely. Like I said with Kommo, leftovers is the best item for a bulky mon.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Teleport
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect

As much as I despise Clef it does two things really well that the rest of the team can't do, beating dragons and providing recovery. Teleport is basically U-turn, Wish is for recovery and can help the rest of the team, Moonblast is so it can actually beat dragons, Protect for if it needs Wish to heal itself. Leftovers is the best item for bulky Clef so it's a pretty obvious choice.

Conclusion

So that's the team, I would love some feedback and advice since I'm still new to this, it's my first team after all. In terms of counters Kyruem seems to be the main one rn. Anyway, thanks for reading this, I also wanna say thanks to the people in the OU discord for helping me build the team.

Current team paste: https://pokepast.es/fee6f3ed52e48975

Last edited:
Bump/update, so after some testing I've done some changes to team and have added the current team paste to the original post so you can see the changes and try out the team.

Arya

is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
In my opinion, the combo cinderace and zeraora can do really well, as also Clef provides the necessary bulk. Furthermore, the corviknight entry on the field can ensure a safety join (also with clef). All in all, I think it's a solid and well combined team.

:v4: nice team.
seems pretty solid, so I didn't make any major changes.​

Major Changes:
  • :kommo-o: to :Hippowdon:
    • This is more of an optional switch, but this gives the team a better check to setup sweepers, namely Lucha and Ace, which your team struggles with. I went with a SpDef set designed to maximise special bulk while still tank +2 Pyro Ball, Although the EV's are free to be messed around with. Hippowdon doesn't have the same grass-water resistances as Kommo, But grass is checked by Corv, and offensive waters are few and far between. Plus overall it has better longevity and is not reliant of lefties.

Minor Changes:
  • :conkeldurr: EV + Movepool change
    • Another personal preference, DP provides better longevity than CC.
      The EV's were tailored to 1v1 Specs Aegi,but should allow it to beat Kyu as well.
  • :Zeraora: Toxic > Grass Knot
    • Gives better pressure on mons not called Siesmetoad & Rhyperior. With one dropping in usage and the other not particularly common, toxic imo pressures both hippo and kommo along with anything else people throw at zera.
  • IV changes
    • I lowered the speed IV's of the clef and corv, so you always gain the momentum in mirror-matches.
Thats all for now, pretty nice team. Went 8-0 with the new variant on a fresh account and didn't notice and gaping holes, so that's good.
Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt
- Gunk Shot
- Bulk Up

Zeraora @ Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Toxic / Grass Knot
- Plasma Fists

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 108 SpD / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Facade

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure / Mirror Armour
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
- Body Press / Iron Head

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Teleport
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 236 HP / 76 Def / 196 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

or

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 244 HP / 200 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Body Press

nice team.
seems pretty solid, so I didn't make any major changes.

Major Changes:
  • :kommo-o: to :Hippowdon:
    • This is more of an optional switch, but this gives the team a better check to setup sweepers, namely Lucha and Ace, which your team struggles with. I went with a SpDef set designed to maximise special bulk while still tank +2 Pyro Ball, Although the EV's are free to be messed around with. Hippowdon doesn't have the same grass-water resistances as Kommo, But grass is checked by Corv, and offensive waters are few and far between. Plus overall it has better longevity and is not reliant of lefties.

Minor Changes:
  • :conkeldurr: EV + Movepool change
    • Another personal preference, DP provides better longevity than CC.
      The EV's were tailored to 1v1 Specs Aegi,but should allow it to beat Kyu as well.
  • :Zeraora: Toxic > Grass Knot
    • Gives better pressure on mons not called Siesmetoad & Rhyperior. With one dropping in usage and the other not particularly common, toxic imo pressures both hippo and kommo along with anything else people throw at zera.
  • IV changes
    • I lowered the speed IV's of the clef and corv, so you always gain the momentum in mirror-matches.
Thats all for now, pretty nice team. Went 8-0 with the new variant on a fresh account and didn't notice and gaping holes, so that's good.
Importable
Thanks, I've done some changes and will update the team paste.

Reactions: UHX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)