Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Curse
- Salt Cure
- Stealth Rock​

My chonky boy, need I say more? He's a defensive wall stopping both physical and special attacks. Dondozo is basically here to compliment where garganacl lacks in coverage. Plus, garganacle helps to set up the rocks and do some chip with salt cure.

Dondozo @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Yawn
- Liquidation
- Ice Fang
- Protect​

Basically here to complement where garganacle lacks and provide some sort of blockage to mons before they run wild. I mainly chose dondozo for threats like quaquavil, chi-yu, rain teams, and any mon who tries to set up and go wild. Yawn is there to force switches or put a mon out. Honestly though out of my entire team, he is the one that I don't know if I should keep or swap him. maybe for skele? Unsure

Great Tusk @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat​

Threats gholdengo, gets rid of hazards, plus can do major damage otherwise. With the amount of ice and dark types, one rapid spin later and tusk is running wild. plus boots to prevent him from getting hurt switching in.

Breloom @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed​

Mach punch for ice, steel, and dark types. Loaded dice to ensure a minimum 4 hits with bullet seed. And then swords dance and spore to use on switches who don't want to get eaten with mach punch

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam​

He's the golden goat. Fast and threatening I have him mainly for fast coverage. And I found myself getting run over by rain teams too often so thunderbolt is there for a nice surprise if anyone wants to start off sending out peliper that thinks they can stay in. Dazzling gleem is for more coverage toward dragons but I am debating swapping this out for trick instead. I found myself too often needing a fast mon though and regretting when I tricked away my scarf.

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner​

If you dont have dragonite on your team, what are you doing? Extreme speed to take care of anyone running rampant, ddance for the boosts, and then earthquake and ice spinner for coverage. I have a couple of other teams where I swap dragon for espathra/ dragapult and they work really well also. But I just find myself needing espeed too often.

Let me know what you think and where I can improve. This is my first time getting into competitive since the X and Y days so I am a little rusty.

I am considering swapping in skele for dondozo/ chi-yu for gholdengo/ espathra for dragonite but haven't found a synchronization that I am really vibing with. But for grins and giggles, I'll but the builds for the mons I am considering swapping in below...

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Torch Song
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Slack Off

Chi-Yu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Tera Blast

Espathra @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Roost​

Thanks!

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Heyoooooo!
Neat team, glad to see you're back after a long hiatus since XY!

First thing I'd recommend is swapping Dondozo's Ice Fang with Body Press. While Ice Fang can hit Dragapult and Garchomp, Body Press is more overall consistent. I also like Rest on wall Dondozo sets, I think overall it will give it more longevity than Protect.

I would also add Trick over Dazzling Gleam on Gholdengo. Dazzling Gleam doesn't provide Gholdengo with any coverage it really desperately needs and Trick can be very, very useful for crippling opposing walls. DGleam hits Roaring Moon I suppose but, you can play around that after tricking a scarf onto it, plus Breloom's Mach Punch can keep it at bay.

As for Breloom, I would suggest a Choice Band set for more immediate power, though SD is certainly serviceable. It is just my personal preference since SD sets are pretty hard checked by the super common Gholdengo and Dragapult. Setting up aside, the Choice Band sets really do not do that much less damage than Loaded Dice with Bullet Seed, and it gives you a very powerful Mach Punch / Close Combat. It can be a fine bait for Gholdengo to since it can run Bulldoze.

One potential set:
:breloom:
Breloom @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Fire
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Bulldoze

I don't think you need to replace Dondozo. Dondozo + Garganacl is a pretty solid core that is hard to break. If you are feeling like Dondozo isn't pulling its weight, I'd recommend swapping it to a Curse set:

Dondozo @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Liquidation
- Body Press / Rest
- Protect / Sleep Talk

This still maintains a lot of its defensive utility but also can be a very strong wincon if your opponent relies too heavily on their physical attackers. Chi-yu is probably more of an replacement for Breloom as a wallbreaker, if anything, and it's hard to go wrong with one of the best wallbreakers in the metagame right now, so I don't think you'd lose anything with that choice. Skeledirge would be fine over Dondozo if you'd like, though I'd recommend using Fairy as a Tera Type on either it or Garganacl to alleviate some of the damage Ground-types might cause you, since losing Dondozo opens the door for opposing Great Tusks to really threaten your team.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Heyoooooo!
Neat team, glad to see you're back after a long hiatus since XY!

First thing I'd recommend is swapping Dondozo's Ice Fang with Body Press. While Ice Fang can hit Dragapult and Garchomp, Body Press is more overall consistent. I also like Rest on wall Dondozo sets, I think overall it will give it more longevity than Protect.

I would also add Trick over Dazzling Gleam on Gholdengo. Dazzling Gleam doesn't provide Gholdengo with any coverage it really desperately needs and Trick can be very, very useful for crippling opposing walls. DGleam hits Roaring Moon I suppose but, you can play around that after tricking a scarf onto it, plus Breloom's Mach Punch can keep it at bay.

As for Breloom, I would suggest a Choice Band set for more immediate power, though SD is certainly serviceable. It is just my personal preference since SD sets are pretty hard checked by the super common Gholdengo and Dragapult. Setting up aside, the Choice Band sets really do not do that much less damage than Loaded Dice with Bullet Seed, and it gives you a very powerful Mach Punch / Close Combat. It can be a fine bait for Gholdengo to since it can run Bulldoze.

I don't think you need to replace Dondozo. Dondozo + Garganacl is a pretty solid core that is hard to break. If you are feeling like Dondozo isn't pulling its weight, I'd recommend swapping it to a Curse set:

Dondozo @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Liquidation
- Body Press / Rest
- Protect / Sleep Talk

This still maintains a lot of its defensive utility but also can be a very strong wincon if your opponent relies too heavily on their physical attackers. Chi-yu is probably more of an replacement for Breloom as a wallbreaker, if anything, and it's hard to go wrong with one of the best wallbreakers in the metagame right now, so I don't think you'd lose anything with that choice. Skeledirge would be fine over Dondozo if you'd like, though I'd recommend using Fairy as a Tera type on either it or Garganacl to alleviate some of the damage Ground-types might cause you, since losing Dondozo really opens the door for opposing Great Tusks to really threaten your team.

Hope this helps!
It helps a bunch. I have made some minor changes since I made the post and most are on par with what you're suggesting but its nice to know my changes are valid.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello, giving you a rate since you asked.

I think from a threats perspective: Choice Specs Iron Valiant can give this team an issue once Gholdengo goes down. I do believe Hatterene also gives this team an issue, Gholdengo does not want to switch into a Mystical Fire on the predict and outside Gholdengo, Garganacl might give a fight but Hatterene could just keep Calm Minding and Drain Kissing for HP.

Suggestions:

For Garganacl: I would try out this set, I think Protect + Salt Cure is a better moveset vs Curse + Salt Cure because you can't protect on the potential Encore / Trick. Also I would try more a physical defensive Nacl and change Dondozo to something else because I don't think the set you're using is really viable.

:garganacl:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Salt Cure
- Recover

For Nacl, I used a defensive duo that worked out pretty well. Which I would recommend to you since it's another bulky water. Toxapex + Garg combo is something I think you'll be seeing more often because of the combination of Baneful Bunker / Protect stall in conjunction with (Toxic and Salt Cure) damage. They just cover each others weaknesses pretty well aside from (Ground attacks), Dondozo lacks a lot when it comes to the special defensive department. Say something like Chi-Yu is out with Dark Pulse, now you can utilize Fairy (Tera) Garganacl and Dark (Tera) Toxapex before that you had only Breloom / Great Tusk to try to switch into a Dark Pulse (Both would get 2HKO). This Pex set is made to poison the opposition with (Baneful Bunker / Toxic) and have a haze user when something like Espartha switches in (Which could be a threat to this team, you could (Tera Type Dark for Pex). If you see Hatterene you can Tera Dark on Pex and once it goes for the draining kiss, go for the Baneful Bunker to poison it. Here's the set:

:toxapex:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dark
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Haze
- Liquidation
- Baneful Bunker

For Gholdengo I would go with Trick > Dazzling Gleam so you can break certain walls.

Aside from that the rest of the team looks well built, I hope some of my suggestions are helpful

Hello, giving you a rate since you asked.

I think from a threats perspective: Choice Specs Iron Valiant can give this team an issue once Gholdengo goes down. I do believe Hatterene also gives this team an issue, Gholdengo does not want to switch into a Mystical Fire on the predict and outside Gholdengo, Garganacl might give a fight but Hatterene could just keep Calm Minding and Drain Kissing for HP.

Suggestions:

For Garganacl: I would try out this set, I think Protect + Salt Cure is a better moveset vs Curse + Salt Cure because you can't protect on the potential Encore / Trick. Also I would try more a physical defensive Nacl and change Dondozo to something else because I don't think the set you're using is really viable.

:garganacl:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Salt Cure
- Recover

For Nacl, I used a defensive duo that worked out pretty well. Which I would recommend to you since it's another bulky water. Toxapex + Garg combo is something I think you'll be seeing more often because of the combination of Baneful Bunker / Protect stall in conjunction with (Toxic and Salt Cure) damage. They just cover each others weaknesses pretty well aside from (Ground attacks), Dondozo lacks a lot when it comes to the special defensive department. Say something like Chi-Yu is out with Dark Pulse, now you can utilize Fairy (Tera) Garganacl and Dark (Tera) Toxapex before that you had only Breloom / Great Tusk to try to switch into a Dark Pulse (Both would get 2HKO). This Pex set is made to poison the opposition with (Baneful Bunker / Toxic) and have a haze user when something like Espartha switches in (Which could be a threat to this team, you could (Tera Type Dark for Pex). If you see Hatterene you can Tera Dark on Pex and once it goes for the draining kiss, go for the Baneful Bunker to poison it. Here's the set:

:toxapex:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dark
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Haze
- Liquidation
- Baneful Bunker

For Gholdengo I would go with Trick > Dazzling Gleam so you can break certain walls.

Aside from that the rest of the team looks well built, I hope some of my suggestions are helpful
Very helpful, thank you. I assume pex would help against quaquavil running wild too but wouldnt giving up the unaware ability allow things like bulkup tusk and ddance dragonite to run me over? Would skele or clodsire help instead of dozo or would you say that pex is still the move?

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Very helpful, thank you. I assume pex would help against quaquavil running wild too but wouldnt giving up the unaware ability allow things like bulkup tusk and ddance dragonite to run me over?
This Pex set walls Quaquaval very hard. When it comes to DD-Nite (Fairy) Gargnacl beats it, also you can trick it with Gholdengo after 1 DD predict if you see it as a threat in-game. Also other Pokémon's setting up that you haven't listed, could get hazed by Pex (Which will reset their stats).

This Pex set walls Quaquaval very hard. When it comes to DD-Nite (Fairy) Gargnacl beats it, also you can trick it with Gholdengo after 1 DD predict if you see it as a threat in-game. Also other Pokémon's setting up that you haven't listed, could get hazed by Pex (Which will reset their stats).
I will take your word for pex being better than dozo and try it out for myself. Thanks again for the help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)