SM PU First PU Team

Hi! I'm new to the Smogon forms and I'd like you guys to rate my PU team! It's done pretty well when I first started using it, and I'd love to hear some feed back!

Flanders (Simipour) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Blizzard
- Grass Knot

A special sweeper. Used with Rain Dance/ Torrent/ Hydro Pump, it can do massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it.

levitate? (Rotom-Fan) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpD / 104 Spe
Calm Nature
- Trick
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

My dedicated lead, since people would think Shuckle would be a primary lead. Trick/ Choice Scarf is used to Trick Pokemon such as Mespirit (assuming they aren't Trick/ Choice Scarf aswell) to be locked into a certain move, such as Stealth Rock; and when they switch out, it could Defog the hazards away, giving me the advantage.

hi (Shuckle) (M) @ Binding Band
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Shell Smash
- Rest
- Infestation

What this team relies on to properly function. Sticky Web is used to slow down offensive threats and let pokemon such as Simipour and Pinsir do some work. This is HEAVILY countered by set-up mons such as Oricorio/ Clefairy, and is countered by Substitute aswell.

Awaken (Golurk) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Could be used as a surprise revenge killer. It can take an Ice Beam/ Shadow Ball from Frosslass and OHKO it with a Shadow Punch. Oh, and Focus Punch. If a tricked Choice Scarf mon is locked into a move the Golurk resists; they're in for a punch, literally. Focus Punch does MASSIVE damage against everything, (well, almost everything)
and is sure to leave the opponent off guard.

it do not matter (Pinsir) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Late game clean up sweeper. Reliant on Sticky Web support, Pinsir can easily clean up late game and with Moxie it is hard stopping it.

Outkast (Dodrio) (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Mirror Move
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick

Used to stop defensive pokemon such as Regirock/ Shuckle. Z-Mirror Move raises its attack by 2 and is sure to dent some mons if used correctly. Recoil is this pokemon's weakness.

And there's my team! I hope you guys like it! Please let me know some feedback.

Last edited:

TTK

Won't Catch Me Lacking.
is a Community Contributor
Hello! Well there are some things I do want to address with your team because some of the sets are kinda not optimal at all or could be better so I'm here just to suggest them.

Awaken (Golurk) @ Colbur Berry
Jolly
Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

AV Golurk isn't a good set. Number 1, Aurorus is one of the premier wallbreakers in the tier and without speed investment, you have no chance of beating it. AV golurk still drops to a Blizzard. Number 2, Dark moves are quite common in the tier and without Colbur, Golurk is just a free kill for Absol, Faticate and Skuntank when Golurk actually has the ability to take a hit and kill them back easily. Focus Punch shouldn't be run at all, this thing has no opportunity to use it.

Outkast (Dodrio) (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick

You'd definitely want to be running Return/Frustration on Dodrio and no one uses Sub. Mirror Move seems nice and all but why not just run Swords Dance? If someone swaps out and they did not use a move prior, Z-Mirror Moves gets +2 Attack but then fails and Z move is gone when you can just Swords Dance then Super Sonic Skystrike, which breaks pretty much anything that doesn't resist it at +2.

Flanders (Simipour) (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Simipour is not a good mon in PU. It's outclassed by other Water-types like Jellicent and Floatzel. Jellicent hits way harder with Choice Specs and is more bulkier and Floatzel is faster. However, if you want to continue using it here are the changes I think would be ideal. Just run Nasty Plot, does more damage with +2 Hydro Pump then rain boosted Hydro Pump and its other moves are stronger with Nasty Plot, not only Hydro Pump. It gets Ice Beam, which is more reliable than Blizzard out of Hail, its only a 20 Base Power difference, not too big for a move that doesn't miss.

I won't say anything about Contrary Smash Shuckle, its not optimal but hopefully, you can take some of my changes into account.

Happy PUing

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello agr33,
I see you are trying to make an effective Sticky Web team, I do sadly see a lot of flaws in this but I know I can help to make it much much better. Before I get into changes I should tell you that you should be leading with Shuckle as you want to try and get your webs down as fast as you can to apply speed control against offensive teams. You also have many subpar sets here that are either outclassed or easily handled by competent players so I would suggest looking through The Smogon competitive dex for PU here.

Simipour @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot

This set will give you much more consistency than Rain Dance which is best done by Ludicolo as it has access to Swift Swim and a dual typing. This set increases Simipours special attack allowing it to ether wallbreak or sweep which it has a good chance of doing via Sticky Web.

--->
or

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Barbs
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Toxic

Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Rotom-S is not actually a bad pick for sticky web teams as Flying-Types are a huge problem to them and every serious web team should pack a solid flying check. Rotom-S is kind of subpar to other Choice Scarf Electric-Types. Both Togedemaru and Manectric can work here serving the same role. Togedemaru is better versus Articuno and has the typing to allow it to pivot in on Flying-types much easier. Manectric is faster and stronger, and deal with Weezing a bit easier, but it also does not pivot as reliably and with Nasty Plot Simipour Weezing is far from a hard stop to your team.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Knock Off

This Shuckle set is the most consistent you can get with Shuckle. Shuckle also provides Stealth Rock which your team currently lacks.

--->

Froslass @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Spikes

Assault Vest Golurk is really mediocre as it is weak to a lot of our current special attackers. I see you are using it as a spinblocker but I feel Froslass fits better here, it does a decent job at blocking so it will help you keep your hazards in play. I think Choice Specs is a fine choice for this team as it provides great role compression and support. Not only is it a blocker it can also wallbreak or be used as a win con. It can also lay spikes and cripple mons like Gurdurr, a well as acting as an offensive Flying Check.

--->

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Rapid Spin

Pinsir would be ok here I suppose but I feel the team should focus on the metagame more then it does and I think AV Hitmonchan just fit's here, giving you counter play to opposing hazards and Hail teams.

--->

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Sucker Punch

Lycanroc acts like Dodrio but is much more consistant and will give you one ore Flying check.

Conclusion
This team should be a decent web team, you have to remember to play it as offensively as you can and it will be a great way to learn what you need to win games as you need to keep win cons in your head throughout the entirety of the match, as you best way to beat things like Gurdurr and Dodrio is to think something like'I need to win with Simipour(Gurdurr matchup) or I need to win with Lycanroc(Dodrio matchup).

I wish you luck with the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)