ORAS OU First RMT: Regenerating Degenerates! (Peaked in 1750s)

I've been playing Pokemon for many years between Pokemon Online and Showdown, but never really played competitively to the point of making a name for myself or anything like that. For me, I enjoy just spending my time joining live tours and occasionally laddering, more so now because this is the first time trying to do OLT. I've made competitive teams before, mainly Hyper Offense, but like this one, I always reach a point with them where I get walled. So I'm here with my first ever RMT looking to improve my team!​

TEAM AT A GLANCE

Teambuilding Process: Obviously, I'm not the best team-builder. In fact, most of my team building is just choosing a core and then playing around with it using different pokemon while at mid-ladder until I can find one that I like, or just scrap it entirely. This honestly isn't good for my GXE or ELO but I don't mind because it lets me compete against better competition while trying to learn what cores work against them. But so basically with this team, I had been seeing Tangrowth a lot more on ladder and decided I wanted to build around it because I liked it's defensive capability along with it's ability to last in-game through it's amazing regenerator ability. And so, I decided I'd do the ever so common FWG core. With a certain bird spam hyper offense becoming quite common on the ladder, I figured I'd need at least a partial counter to that, so I went with heatran and Slowbro as Heatran resists the flying attacks and Slowbro's overall defensive bulk would allow me to take a hit and status it or revenge it. The rest of the Pokemon I chose were purely from me having used them before and liking the way they work. And so, here's the team:​

Satotz (Tangrowth) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tangrowth, like I said, was a Pokemon I had been seeing much more of on the ladder lately. And well, it's understandable. It's ability to wall so many of the main physical attackers, such as Azumarill, Landorus-T, Excadrill and decently absorb hits from other strong physical attackers made it much more usable in OU, similar to the rise of Amoonguss. And so, i went with a generic set. Sleep Powder to try and status opposing mons on the switch out, Giga Drain as it's its STAB and helps with partial recovery as I am using Rocky Helmet rather than lefties, Knock Off to rid opposing Pokemon of their items, and HP Fire because it was needed for when another bulky grass was sent in on it.

I Lava You (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Protect
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Heatran has great synergy with a lot of pokemon, especially Tangrowth as it's more of a Sp. Def mon that walls the ice, fire, and flying that Tangrowth is so weak to. I went for a more stall-based Heatran with max HP and Sp. Def. As for moveset, Magma Storm is meant for trapping opposing pokemon and providing chip damage. Earth Power because one of the most common switch-ins to a Heatran is another Heatran. Toxic because once again, it's more of a stall set, and it provides a good status, especially against stall teams, and provides chip damage. And lastly protect. This gives me the ability to scout the opponent, provide another turn of chip damage, and is a decent surprise when opposing teams try and send out their Mega-cham or Lopunny and HJK. Other times I will use Taunt instead because that's my only chance against Clefable.

Internet Explorer (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Slack Off

Finally, the last of my FWG core: Slowbro. I wanted to use slowbro as it has the amazing ability regenerator, but more so because it walls the strong fighting megas that I personally love using, are hard on Heatran, and are partially broken: Medicham, and less so, Lopunny. So I went with a defensive slowbro with lefties. Thunder wave is used as a statuser to support the rest of my team. Psyshock as it's STAB that deals decent damage. Scald as another STAB that provides the possibility of a burn, if it's better for the matchup for it to be burnt rather than paralyzed. Lastly, Slack Off as it's a good recovery move that assists in keeping it alive as long as possible.

:3 (Latias) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpA / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock​

Okay, so being honest here. This is probably my most expendable mon. It's main purpose is just to remove hazards and be bulky enough to absorb some hits and deal damage back. More so, it's also here because it's been one of my favorite pokemon since it came out. It was even the mascot for my Mono-Red team in a recent forum tour that I reached quarters with. So it's mainly here for pleasure, but with needing to reach the 1900s to be able to qualify for OLT in one of the later cycles, I know this is one of my team I should probably revise in some way. Anyway, it's a pretty generic Latias set. Max HP to add bulk to it's decent defenses and let it Roost and Defog it's heart away. Near max Special Attack to do some damage with Draco and Psyshock. And 8 Speed just in case. It's lefties just to provide a slight longevity to it.

Ippo (Lopunny-Mega) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Return

So, like I said, I love using Mega Medicham and Lopunny. I had to choose between the 2 as a wallbreaker, but the one problem I kept coming up against in mid-ladder was Mega Sableye. Seeing as Lopunny has scrappy and a better speed selection, I went with it. The somewhat perplexing part of this lopunny is that it's adamant rather than jolly, but that was just personal choice because I appreciated the extra boost in power over the ability to outspeed Tornadus-T and some scarf mons which are more or less walled by the rest of my team, especially when my team isn't full of the strongest hitters. I went with the standard moveset, though. Fake Out because of priority + stab + free turn into mega. HJK cause STAB with amazing power and slight risk of crashing. Ice Punch to deal with Bulky flying/dragon like landorus-t and garchomp. Return because STAB.

The Tyrant (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

I was noticeably still fairly weak to bird spam, so I went with Tyranitar. It has great bulk and with boosted sp. def in the weather it provides, it only gets better. With sand stream, it makes handling rain teams easier than it was just using Tangrowth and Slowbro. I have Thunder Wave as just another statuser seeing as my team is fairly slow and it never hurts to get a little lucky with parahax. I have pursuit for trapping psychics, primarily the Lati-twins. Stone Edge is it's strong STAB and then I needed at least some sort of hazard for this team to work a little better by giving chip damage as the opposing team switches out as I try walling them with my FWG core.

Replays: (I didn't save many battles but here are two that kinda show the team in action):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-412387894 (vs someone using Branflakes Shed stall team)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-411246224 (vs a partial balance team like mine)

Main Threats:

Mega-Pinsir: With Close Combat or Earthquake and Aerilate Return/Quick Attack, my team is screwed by this, with the exception of Slowbro, but that can only paralyze it/scald-burn it. If it gets up a SD, it's over.
Bulky Talonflame: My best counter to this is Tyranitar, but seeing as it'd be my opponents wincon, they'd probably not use it much until T-tar is gone, and once it is, I simply have to try and play around it with status and Fake Outs.
CM Magic Guard Clefable: This is something that can 6-0 my team. With it's bulk being able to stop my main attackers, both of whom being weak to it, it provides a major problem. Heatran can't do much to it unless I use my other Taunt version of it and as it gets to 6+, I can't do anything.
Rain Dance + Tail Glow Manaphy: I can't status this pokemon because of Rain Dance and because of it's good bulk, I normally can only try and play around it with Slowbro (if ice beam) or Tangrowth (if energy ball) and Mega Lopunny
There are more threats, but these were the most apparent for me with laddering

That's the team! All help will be much appreciated!

Satotz (Tangrowth) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I Lava You (Heatran) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Internet Explorer (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Slack Off

:3 (Latias) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpA / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Ippo (Lopunny-Mega) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Return

The Tyrant (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

(Also as this is my first RMT, if this isn't up to code or anything, just let me know what I need to do to fix it and I will!)

Last edited:

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hello there! rly nice bulky balance team you have here that features mlop. right off the bat, i just want to tell you that your team has a lot of road stops but not a lot of cars. this means that your team is more than capable of walling most of the standard threats in the metagame but is not fully capable of pushing past teams that grind out more, which causes games to drag on for much more longer than they should. you've identified some problems on your team and i'd be more than happy to help you deal with them.

first of all, your latias set is good but it isn't particularly good in the current metagame. yes it's fat enough to take hits and roost it off but the main boon to using latias over latios is it's ability to hwish up your own team mates or defog effectively against grounded rockers. your current set as a result is much more expendable than you think it is and thus i recommend running physdef skarm over latias. this change is necessary because it deals with not just your pinsir issue but also deals with your problem with mgarde and other offensive fairies because outside of heatran (which is caught on the switch by fblast), your whole team is rocked by offensive fairies so this change should soften up the damage dealt by offensive fairies on your team.

next, to deal with your talon / mana problem, we can either opt for the defensive switch by going rotomw over ttar but since you need another solid wincon that can also deal with clef, i suggest running subcm raikou over tyranitar. this is simply because with this change, clef's moonblast cannot break +1 spdef raikou's sub and +1 spa raikou easily 2hkos clef. in a 1v1 scenario, you almost never lose since tbolt has para chance and it has more combined pp than softboiled and moon blast. this change also deals with your talonflame and manaphy problem without losing much bulk and speed.

lastly, some ev reoptimizations for some of your mons: looking at your team, you are more than likely going to struggle with stall. by changing your heatran to max hp max spe with taunt over earth power, this allows you to deal with talon much more easily as well as helping you deal with stall squads that you originally couldn't handle. running adamant lop is good but in this case it would mean that you have close to nothing to clean up offensive squads after your balanced walls have done their work. therefore, running jolly over adamant for mlop is much more beneficial to the team. also, because you have a lot of common outs to lando-t and chomps in the form of tangrowth and slowbro and even subcm kou to an extent, perhaps running toxic over ice punch is a better idea so that you can wear down fat walls more easily. hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/
Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

(Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Defog
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch

hello there! rly nice bulky balance team you have here that features mlop. right off the bat, i just want to tell you that your team has a lot of road stops but not a lot of cars. this means that your team is more than capable of walling most of the standard threats in the metagame but is not fully capable of pushing past teams that grind out more, which causes games to drag on for much more longer than they should. you've identified some problems on your team and i'd be more than happy to help you deal with them.

first of all, your latias set is good but it isn't particularly good in the current metagame. yes it's fat enough to take hits and roost it off but the main boon to using latias over latios is it's ability to hwish up your own team mates or defog effectively against grounded rockers. your current set as a result is much more expendable than you think it is and thus i recommend running physdef skarm over latias. this change is necessary because it deals with not just your pinsir issue but also deals with your problem with mgarde and other offensive fairies because outside of heatran (which is caught on the switch by fblast), your whole team is rocked by offensive fairies so this change should soften up the damage dealt by offensive fairies on your team.

next, to deal with your talon / mana problem, we can either opt for the defensive switch by going rotomw over ttar but since you need another solid wincon that can also deal with clef, i suggest running subcm raikou over tyranitar. this is simply because with this change, clef's moonblast cannot break +1 spdef raikou's sub and +1 spa raikou easily 2hkos clef. in a 1v1 scenario, you almost never lose since tbolt has para chance and it has more combined pp than softboiled and moon blast. this change also deals with your talonflame and manaphy problem without losing much bulk and speed.

lastly, some ev reoptimizations for some of your mons: looking at your team, you are more than likely going to struggle with stall. by changing your heatran to max hp max spe with taunt over earth power, this allows you to deal with talon much more easily as well as helping you deal with stall squads that you originally couldn't handle. running adamant lop is good but in this case it would mean that you have close to nothing to clean up offensive squads after your balanced walls have done their work. therefore, running jolly over adamant for mlop is much more beneficial to the team. also, because you have a lot of common outs to lando-t and chomps in the form of tangrowth and slowbro and even subcm kou to an extent, perhaps running toxic over ice punch is a better idea so that you can wear down fat walls more easily. hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/
Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

(Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Defog
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
Thank you a ton! All of that makes perfect sense and will definitely clear up some of the glaring mistakes on my team. I'll try these changes and see how they work out, but from the look of it, it keeps the main concept in tact while helping out against the major threats I have. I mean what your whole car/road stop analogy was true because I was noticing a lot of games go longer than they should have. Plus I needed something that could truly be more of a wincon other than MLop, so the CM Raikou will help a ton! Thanks again for the rate. I'll continue testing these out but from first glance it fixes a lot of the errors

Last edited:
Reactions: zbr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)