ORAS OU First RMT singles

Hi everyone! I'm relatively new to battling competitively, although I've been playing the Pokemon games for a long time. I've used this team in about 50 battles and it's done fairly well, but I think there are still some kinks that can be worked out and I would really appreciate some help from more experienced players! This is my first rmt, so if I format anything incorrectly please let me know and I'll adjust accordingly. Here is my current team:

Breloom (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Focus Punch

The combination of spore and focus punch go a long way, since most people switch out after being put to sleep, giving me a chance to land focus punch. So far, Breloom has been very useful on my team but I am unsure if he will prove himself to be a major point of weakness considering that he has 6 type weaknesses. I've considered changing from breloom to medicham but then I would have a lack of grass type attacks, and medicham is mostly useless without a mega stone which I would like to reserve for blastoise.

Jolteon (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunderbolt

Jolteon serves two major purposes on my team. 1 is being an overall flying buster and two is setting up for blastoise. Typically, I'll use hidden power ice on jolteon first turn to anticipate a switch to ground type. If there are no major threats to jolteon on the opposing team, I'll use agility/baton pass to set up for blastoise.

Weavile (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

This spot was originally taken by a skill link cloyster, but I needed an ice type that could take out zapdos and Cloyster unfortunately cannot do that. Weavile is the newest addition to my team and has been through about 10 battles, proving to be very useful, although equally frail.

Blastoise-Mega (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump

When boosted with agility, blastoise has a great combination of speed and bulk and mega launcher allows me to have a very diverse typing of moves. He's all but useless against faster fairy types such as hyper voice sylveon, but has proven very useful against dragon types.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash

Jirachi is essentially my wallbreaker. I typically send it out first to lay stealth rock, which goes a long way against drought charizard which could otherwise do a number on my team. I like ice punch on jirachi for the high chance to freeze but that could be switched to fire punch too.

Volcarona (M) @ Focus Band
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Morning Sun
- Quiver Dance

After one use of quiver dance, volcarona is one of my most reliable special sweepers, taking out whole teams sometimes. I'll typically switch in volcarona against anything with a stalling strategy such as blissy, allowing me to quiver dance 2-3 times. Morning sun goes a long way against poison/burn teams as well.

Hopefully I've given enough information about how I use this team. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hey Adam_bombb, this build has potential but your sets could use some improvement. My rate will focus mainly on fixing sets and patching some defensive holes in your team.

First, you should run Rapid Spin > Dragon Pulse on M-Blastoise since you have Volcarona which loses half of its health to Stealth Rock. M-Blastoise's main niche over other offensive water types and Rapid Spin users is its movepool which grants it great coverage and the ability to break through spinblockers and common hazard setters. Since you have Pokemon that are weak to Stealth Rock you should take advantage of this and use Rapid Spin. I'd also say to run a spread of 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe on M-Blastoise to allow it to outspeed Jolly Crawdaunt, standard Choice Band Tyranitar, and 184 Speed Volcanion.

Next, you shouldn't run Focus Band on Volcarona since there are far better items for it. Focus Band in general is a very unreliable item due to it being completely RNG dependent, so you should run a more reliable option. You're running an offensive Volcarona spread, but it has a recovery move so I'm not too sure whether value longevity more than damage output, or vice versa. Because of this, I'll leave two separate imports below with defensive and offensive Volcarona for you to use. If you wanted to go with an offensive Volcarona, you should run a Timid Nature on Volcarona with a spread of 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe to allow it to outspeed Choice Scarf Landorus-T after a Quiver Dance. You should also run Giga Drain > Morning Sun, Fire Blast > Flamethrower and use a Lum Berry > Focus Band on Volcarona to allow it to break Water types, be able to OHKO Choice Scarf Landorus-T after a Quiver Dance, and absorb status from stuff like Thunder Wave Slowbro, Klefki, and Thundurus. If you wanted a more defensively inclined Volcarona, then you should run Roost > Morning Sun since it has more PP and isn't weather dependent, Leftovers > Focus Band for consistent recovery, and run a spread of 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe with a Bold Nature for a more reliable check to M-Scizor, as well as a fairy good answer to M-Lopunny and opposing Weavile. You should also run Fiery Dance > Flamethrower to help make up for Volcarona's lack of raw power with a defensive set. The speed EVs allow you to outspeed Weavile after a Quiver Dance, and the rest is in defense for better bulk for setting up and checking Pokemon.

Your team struggles a lot against stuff like Talonflame and opposing Weavile since M-Blastoise has no way of recovering HP, so you should run Gastrodon > Weavile to help check all of the aforementioned Pokemon, as well as Azumarill, Charizard-X, Sand Rush Excadrill, and Keldeo. With Curse it can beat Calm Mind Keldeo and Slowbro 1v1 (assuming no crits), as well as serve as a win condition. I'd also say to run Choice Scarf Landorus-T > Jolteon for more speed control and a more reliable ground immunity / resist than Breloom.

Speaking of Breloom, if you wanted to aid in its longevity, I think running Poison Heal Breloom with Toxic Orb > Technician Breloom with Sitrus Berry would be a better way to go. This also provides you with a good pivot into Rotom-W once Toxic Orb activates to prevent Gastrodon from getting burned. You can also run a Substitute + Focus Punch set this way since you have better longevity to pull it off. Lastly, since M-Blastoise has no form of recovery and can easily be worn down by hazards, plus since Jirachi is your main check to stuff like Latios and M-Gardevoir, I think you should run Specially Defensive Jirachi with Wish > offensive Jirachi. With Body Slam it can paralyze Ground types, and Iron Head's 60% flinch chance + perfect accuracy makes it a better option than Meteor Mash for beating a lot of Pokemon 1v1.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 232 HP / 224 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Curse

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn
Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Roost

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 232 HP / 224 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Curse

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Hope I was able to help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)