First stall team, any help would be greatly appreciated

I like stall, albiet a little too much. I copied every stall team from every corner of the Internet to try and find the best ones. This is just my cover up team so that the post doesn't get blocked. The purpose of this post is to receive advice on how to make a proper stall team.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Counter
- Roost
- Defog
- Spikes

-Physical wall, does its job very well
-Sturdy counter over body press due to the number of setup physical sweepers with no special coverage
-Spikes because it has nothing better to do than just sit there

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell

-Special wall, does its job very well
-Gets in, walls stuff, gets out
-Rocks because there's no need for paralysis and toxapex has tspikes coverage

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

-SkarmBlissPex core, does its job very well
-Regular Smogon set but with knock off instead of haze
-Tspikes > Toxic because hazards and pp

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

-Clefable walls most dragons, gets calm mind up, and sweeps
-Moonblast > Stored power for immediate damage
-Unaware > Magic guard because I desperately need this

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Clear Smog

-Gastrodon > Quag for anti knock-off
-Clear Smog sort of substitutes for Unaware
-Earth Power > Earthquake for Magnezone

Bisharp @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- X-Scissor

-CB Bisharp for anti-defog
-Very reservative with Bisharp, only as late game cleaner or for priority
-X scissor is kind of just a filler

If you could help me improve this team or how to make a stall team, that would be really nice

Not a huge fan of bisharp as you cleaner/breaker due to its lacking speed. Swap it for maybe something like weavile, or just any fast breaker/cleaner (both choice items and a setup move could be fine) if you keep bish swap x-Scissor for low kick.

if you are going for using a breaker on your stall team you will need much better hazard control, you have defog and spikes. 2 of your most important moves. On the same Mon. You will need another defogger or spiker.

dex

10 wolf, 3 shepherd, 1 sheep, led leopard
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Stall is pretty decent in SS OU, but if you’re going to run stall, you gotta fully embrace it. That being said, I have a couple suggested edits for you to make the team more coherent stall-wise.

Major Changes:

Skarmory -> Corviknight:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Defog
- Roost

Corviknight’s higher special bulk and access to pressure make it a much better fit for stall than Skarmory. Notably, Iron Defense Corviknight makes it so that physical set up sweepers will rarely if ever beat you, as if skarm gets burned, it cannot successfully threaten sweepers with counter.

Bisharp -> Galarian Slowking

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 124 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Future Sight / Psychic
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Scald

This change reflects my comment about going all in on stall. Bisharp simply doesn’t fit on the playstyle. Galarking gives the team future sight support, which is a great tool for chipping the opponent, as well as an important means of spreading poison and burn. It also really demolishes sticky barb Clefable, a Pokémon that is notoriously annoying for stall to deal with.

Minor Changes:
Toxapex @ Shed Shell Rocky Helmet/Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes / Haze / Toxic

You already have a Gastrodon, which switches into Heatran very easily, so I don’t think Shed Shell is wholly necessary, and you’d probably get more value out of another item. Furthermore, Unaware Clefable cannot stop all sweepers, so you may want to try out Haze on Pex to help stop HO teams that can break Clefable. Toxic Spikes is nice in theory but doesn’t actually end up hitting too much given how common boots and removal are. Toxic is another option, especially if you don’t drop Clear Smog from Gastro

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold Storm Drain
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Clear Smog / Toxic

Rain can be hard for stall, even with Toxapex on board. Nasty Plot Tornadus-T and Pain Split Nihilego are capable of beating Blissey, so having Storm Drain to blank the whole playstyle is better than always keeping lefties on a mon that has recover. If you do end up going Haze on Toxapex, I’d drop Clear Smog here for Toxic.

here’s a paste of the new team: https://pokepast.es/d3754dd0ff7684c0

Hope these changes help!

Last edited:

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
You have to post a new RMT to get thoughts on a a new team, and you can only post one every 3 weeks. (can somebody tell me if this is considered minimodding?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)