SS OU First Team Built Ever

So as the title suggests, this is the first team I have built before so let me know your opinions on it. But without further ado, let's get into the build.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

As the all-in-one check to physical sweepers, Landorus also fills the role of a hazard setter with Stealth Rock.

It can also go on the offensive, eschewing it's usually defensive set for a Swords Dance physical sweeper set. Landorus' versatiltiy means teams must always have a check or counter for Landorus.

Cinderace @ Life Orb
Ability: Libero
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Bounce

With its new Hidden Ability Libero, Cinderace is now able to use every attack with STAB, giving 1.5x boost to all its attacks. In essence, this liberates it from STAB, as per its name - Cinderace has no incentive to use Fire-type moves over other types, as it can gain the same bonus with any type. This makes Cinderace equally threatening no matter what type of move throws out.

On top of that, it benefits from a wide movepool to counter a variety of potential opponents.

Its exclusive attack Pyro Ball is also a potent threat that's kept it in the metagame since before Libero. A 120-power Physical Fire move, it's a perfect fit for Cinderace's stat makeup to form a highly threatening fast attacker.

Tapu Fini @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Tapu Fini is shaping up to be the most ubiquitious Bulky Water in the new metagame. Apart from providing Misty Terrain support with its Ability, it's also an excellent defensive Pokemon that can Taunt opposing walls or cut down their HP with Nature's Madness.

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

With its Ability Disguise, Mimikyu is able to take one attack with damage equal to just 10% of its maximum HP. This ensures that Mimikyu can use at least one move in any situation, allowing it to pull off a Swords Dance without fail. With its Attack boosted by 2 stages for free at the onset.

Mimikyu remains at the top of the metagame despite the reintroduction of several powerhouses in previous generations. The reintroduction of several pseudo-legendary Dragon-types mean that Mimikyu can now fill the role of Dragon counter - switching into a predicted Outrage or Draco Meteor and setting up with Swords Dance.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Its Beast Boost ability ensures it gets stronger as it gets more KOs.

The move Leech Seed, in particular, makes it a great stall, and that's all I really have to say about it.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Discharge

Porygon2 is a non-fully-evolved Pokemon, allowing it to use Eviolite to weather any medium-level damage. It's bulky enough to survive and Recover, and is only weak to Fighting, making it difficult for opponents to break through its wall.

It's also capable as a Trick Room attacker, as it can set up Trick Room on its own and use moves in a variety of types, allowing it to hit opponents across the board while dishing out damage of its own.

Let me know what you think

So as the title suggests, this is the first team I have built before so let me know your opinions on it. But without further ado, let's get into the build.

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

As the all-in-one check to physical sweepers, Landorus also fills the role of a hazard setter with Stealth Rock.

It can also go on the offensive, eschewing it's usually defensive set for a Swords Dance physical sweeper set. Landorus' versatiltiy means teams must always have a check or counter for Landorus.

Cinderace @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Bounce

With its new Hidden Ability Libero, Cinderace is now able to use every attack with STAB, giving 1.5x boost to all its attacks. In essence, this liberates it from STAB, as per its name - Cinderace has no incentive to use Fire-type moves over other types, as it can gain the same bonus with any type. This makes Cinderace equally threatening no matter what type of move throws out.

On top of that, it benefits from a wide movepool to counter a variety of potential opponents.

Its exclusive attack Pyro Ball is also a potent threat that's kept it in the metagame since before Libero. A 120-power Physical Fire move, it's a perfect fit for Cinderace's stat makeup to form a highly threatening fast attacker.

Tapu Fini @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Tapu Fini is shaping up to be the most ubiquitious Bulky Water in the new metagame. Apart from providing Misty Terrain support with its Ability, it's also an excellent defensive Pokemon that can Taunt opposing walls or cut down their HP with Nature's Madness.

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

With its Ability Disguise, Mimikyu is able to take one attack with damage equal to just 10% of its maximum HP. This ensures that Mimikyu can use at least one move in any situation, allowing it to pull off a Swords Dance without fail. With its Attack boosted by 2 stages for free at the onset.

Mimikyu remains at the top of the metagame despite the reintroduction of several powerhouses in previous generations. The reintroduction of several pseudo-legendary Dragon-types mean that Mimikyu can now fill the role of Dragon counter - switching into a predicted Outrage or Draco Meteor and setting up with Swords Dance.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Its Beast Boost ability ensures it gets stronger as it gets more KOs.

The move Leech Seed, in particular, makes it a great stall, and that's all I really have to say about it.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Discharge

Porygon2 is a non-fully-evolved Pokemon, allowing it to use Eviolite to weather any medium-level damage. It's bulky enough to survive and Recover, and is only weak to Fighting, making it difficult for opponents to break through its wall.

It's also capable as a Trick Room attacker, as it can set up Trick Room on its own and use moves in a variety of types, allowing it to hit opponents across the board while dishing out damage of its own.

Let me know what you think
For the first team, this is great (much better than mine). I'm guessing you are coming from VGC? Please let me know if this is not the case.

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Pinch Berries are overall not very good in singles, where games can often go very long. I suggest changing the item to Heavy-Duty Boots. This allows Landorus to ignore the damage from Stealth Rock as it performs the function of utility pivot. I would also suggest changing Rock Tomb to Knock Off, although this is more preference. Rock Tomb allows it to touch flying types, while Knock Off provides great utility against every pokemon, since nothing really likes Knock Off. Keep in mind that Knock Off takes away flying types' Heavy-Duty Boots, which has the potential to deal more damage than rock tomb over the course of a longer game when factoring in Stealth Rock.

Cinderace @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Bounce

This is also a VGC set, which is not viable in a singles meta. Life Orb just means Cinderace takes so much chip that it's going to die quickly; I suggest changing it to Heavy-Duty Boots. Bounce is not viable in a meta without Dynamax (Dynamax is banned), so I suggest changing it to U-turn, which allows you to hit a switch-in and gain momentum by being able to react to what they switch into.

Tapu Fini @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Again, Pinch Berries are not viable except in special cases (such as Azumarill). I suggest changing it to leftovers. Tapu Fini also excels right now with Calm Mind. I suggest a moveset of Surf / Taunt / Calm Mind / Draining Kiss. Calm Mind allows it to break bulkier teams, Taunt stops opposing recovery from bulky mons, and Draining Kiss allows it to heal apart from leftovers while allowing it to beat Blissey 1v1.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Discharge

Porygon2 is an underrated mon at the moment, and I'm glad to see it have use. However, I believe the moveset should change. I suggest a set of Recover / Foul Play / Ice Beam / Teleport. Ice Beam lets it deter Sub Zygarde set-up, as Fini is often not enough to handle it. Teleport allows it to switch in on opposing pokemon and pivot out, giving you the upper hand.

Pokemon changes:

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

Mimikyu is nowhere near the top of the metagame. Although it can live one hit, it deserves to be a UU mon due to the fact that 90 base attack is pathetic without a boosting ability. Mimikyu still fails to OHKO things it should with a Swords Dance, and it can't run Adamant due to its frustrating speed tier. Mimikyu's only niche is on hyper offensive teams, where its ability to live one hit from most pokemon (not Kyu-B) gives it great offensive-defensive utility. Mimikyu's lackluster power, as well as the fact that your team does not need its defensive Utility, mean that Mimikyu does not deserve a place on your team. Here is my suggested replacement:

Pheromosa @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab

Pheromosa (with Poison Jab) provides a great deal of thing to your team. Firstly, it provides a great measure of speed control, as Cinderace's sucker punch often fails to act as speed control on its own. Secondly, it provides a reliable way to break through Clefable. Although you cannot switch in to Clefable, your team overall fails to break through it, as Cinderace is not able to fit Gunk Shot. These reasons are why Pheromosa deserves a spot on your team.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Celesteela is very outclassed in this metagame in nearly every scenario. It is outclassed defensively by Corviknight while it is outclassed offensively by nearly every breaker. I suggest changing this to:

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

Corviknight has the same defensive profile as Celesteela, but it has only marginally weaker defenses while packing so much more. It has Roost, which allows it to stay healthy all match, Defog to remove hazards, and U-turn to pivot out. The defense EVs are calculated to always avoid the 2HKO from Banded Melmetal.

Please let me know if I had made any mistakes.

For the first team, this is great (much better than mine). I'm guessing you are coming from VGC? Please let me know if this is not the case.

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Pinch Berries are overall not very good in singles, where games can often go very long. I suggest changing the item to Heavy-Duty Boots. This allows Landorus to ignore the damage from Stealth Rock as it performs the function of utility pivot. I would also suggest changing Rock Tomb to Knock Off, although this is more preference. Rock Tomb allows it to touch flying types, while Knock Off provides great utility against every pokemon, since nothing really likes Knock Off. Keep in mind that Knock Off takes away flying types' Heavy-Duty Boots, which has the potential to deal more damage than rock tomb over the course of a longer game when factoring in Stealth Rock.

Cinderace @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Bounce

This is also a VGC set, which is not viable in a singles meta. Life Orb just means Cinderace takes so much chip that it's going to die quickly; I suggest changing it to Heavy-Duty Boots. Bounce is not viable in a meta without Dynamax (Dynamax is banned), so I suggest changing it to U-turn, which allows you to hit a switch-in and gain momentum by being able to react to what they switch into.

Tapu Fini @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Again, Pinch Berries are not viable except in special cases (such as Azumarill). I suggest changing it to leftovers. Tapu Fini also excels right now with Calm Mind. I suggest a moveset of Surf / Taunt / Calm Mind / Draining Kiss. Calm Mind allows it to break bulkier teams, Taunt stops opposing recovery from bulky mons, and Draining Kiss allows it to heal apart from leftovers while allowing it to beat Blissey 1v1.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Discharge

Porygon2 is an underrated mon at the moment, and I'm glad to see it have use. However, I believe the moveset should change. I suggest a set of Recover / Foul Play / Ice Beam / Teleport. Ice Beam lets it deter Sub Zygarde set-up, as Fini is often not enough to handle it. Teleport allows it to switch in on opposing pokemon and pivot out, giving you the upper hand.

Pokemon changes:

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

Mimikyu is nowhere near the top of the metagame. Although it can live one hit, it deserves to be a UU mon due to the fact that 90 base attack is pathetic without a boosting ability. Mimikyu still fails to OHKO things it should with a Swords Dance, and it can't run Adamant due to its frustrating speed tier. Mimikyu's only niche is on hyper offensive teams, where its ability to live one hit from most pokemon (not Kyu-B) gives it great offensive-defensive utility. Mimikyu's lackluster power, as well as the fact that your team does not need its defensive Utility, mean that Mimikyu does not deserve a place on your team. Here is my suggested replacement:

Pheromosa @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab

Pheromosa (with Poison Jab) provides a great deal of thing to your team. Firstly, it provides a great measure of speed control, as Cinderace's sucker punch often fails to act as speed control on its own. Secondly, it provides a reliable way to break through Clefable. Although you cannot switch in to Clefable, your team overall fails to break through it, as Cinderace is not able to fit Gunk Shot. These reasons are why Pheromosa deserves a spot on your team.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Celesteela is very outclassed in this metagame in nearly every scenario. It is outclassed defensively by Corviknight while it is outclassed offensively by nearly every breaker. I suggest changing this to:

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

Corviknight has the same defensive profile as Celesteela, but it has only marginally weaker defenses while packing so much more. It has Roost, which allows it to stay healthy all match, Defog to remove hazards, and U-turn to pivot out. The defense EVs are calculated to always avoid the 2HKO from Banded Melmetal.

Please let me know if I had made any mistakes.
Thanks for the feedback! You are correct about me being from VGC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)