SM OU First Team I've Made--Looking for help

Hey all! My name is villa1n, and I'm relatively new to showdown. I've only hit around 1400 (running a joey rain team no less) in OU, but recently tried my hand at team building. Let me know what you think!

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 104 HP / 8 Def / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

This was the first pokemon I put on the team. I love Volcarona's roost/flamethrower/buzz set, as it is able to easily check mega scizor (a mon I hate), Tyranitar, and even Greninja (with a boost or two). Lum berry was an item I added after I had finalized the other pokemon--I'm not a huge fan of Buginium, and felt like Twinkle Tackle suited my team better.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill was included as a surprise check to Heatran and Rotom-W. Both those threats wall Volcarona, and with scarf/moldbreaker Excadrill is capable of one shotting the aforementioned mons. He's my only real check to Zard-Y (rock slide kills in a single hit), and in a pinch can be used to knock out fairies/Toxapex. With adamant, I have ~412 speed. That being said, let me know if you think jolly would suit this mon better.

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Fleur Cannon
- Shift Gear

Mag is an excellent check to Greninja, Tornadus (kinda), and Tangrowth. I elected to go with shift gear so I could capitalize on the opponent switching, and wanted to use fairium so I can knock out threats like Garchomp and Kyurem B. This mon can also deal with Landorus provided I (1) shift gear and (2) scout for choice scarf. It also works as a pretty good switch in to Sableye, Weavile, and can be used to handle Tyranitar.

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 76 SpA / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom Wash was mandatory for my team--Volcarona, Mag, and to some extent excadrill (if he is unable to land a hit) all die to fire moves. This mon is meant to wall things like Zard-X and Heatran, but is also decent against Garchomp. In a pinch, it can also be good against Fini/Pinsir. Wasn't too sure what item to give him, but I feel like Iapapa works better than leftovers. Let me know if you would recommend anything else.

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Tornadus is a re generator wall that I use to deal with fighting types and grass types. It works wonders against Bulu, Tangrowth, Mew and Zam. I gave it taunt to stop setup/hazards, and like U-turn for easy switch ins to excadrill/medi. Not sure if I should run defog on it, considering I already have scarf spin Excadrill.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt

I honestly have no idea why I included medicham. It deals with Ferrothron, Garchomp, and Toxapex--and can certainly be used as a fake out spammer. That being said, I basically put it in on a whim after finishing the rest of the team, and would be open to replacing this mon with something else.

Thanks for reading! Please message me if you have any tips for OU!

Good night, just a few changes I would made in your team.
1: If you going to use Bulky volc you can use this evs spread 248 HP/ 112 Def/ 148 Spe (148 Speed EVs with a Timid nature mean Volcarona can outspeed Adamant Mega Medicham. The remaining EVs are put into bulk, enabling Volcarona to better check Mega Mawile, Mega Scizor, and Kartana).

2: Excadrill is not a good scarfer in SMOU, ou can put a Sand Rush drill and ttar or you can put a landorus T with scarf and defog to have a decent speed control.

3: Magearna is great, but this set struggles against Heatran and hetran can hard stop your volcarona. Maybe you can chance for Z Thunderbolt or Z Focus Blast.

4: Your team need a steath rock setter. Even if your team are weak to hazards, is good to have rocks, maybe you can prevent, or maybe volc is not good in the game, or maybe your oponnets rocker is dead and u can abuse.

You should invest into some speed on magearna because even after a shift gear you're still outsped by anything over base 101 speed. and I agree with the last guy that drill should be swapped with landorus-T because the only thing drill has over lando is mold breaker and rapid spin, and lando gets defog anyway.

Good night, just a few changes I would made in your team.
1: If you going to use Bulky volc you can use this evs spread 248 HP/ 112 Def/ 148 Spe (148 Speed EVs with a Timid nature mean Volcarona can outspeed Adamant Mega Medicham. The remaining EVs are put into bulk, enabling Volcarona to better check Mega Mawile, Mega Scizor, and Kartana).

2: Excadrill is not a good scarfer in SMOU, ou can put a Sand Rush drill and ttar or you can put a landorus T with scarf and defog to have a decent speed control.

3: Magearna is great, but this set struggles against Heatran and hetran can hard stop your volcarona. Maybe you can chance for Z Thunderbolt or Z Focus Blast.

4: Your team need a steath rock setter. Even if your team are weak to hazards, is good to have rocks, maybe you can prevent, or maybe volc is not good in the game, or maybe your oponnets rocker is dead and u can abuse.
I disagree with #4 as even if you do not have a rock setter, your team can still work well. I think it is a matter of if you want your team having it because there are teams out there that don't have rock setters and still work really well. I am not saying that you have to not have a setter but it depends on what the guy wants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)