SS Doubles OU First Time building a Team, ideas to how to make it better?

Hi! Today I tried building my first team in SS Doubles OU, I wanted something not necessarly super competitive but at least not terrible. I tried some games with this team and I found that it kinda works but I'm sure I can make this really better ^^

Ninetales-Alola (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Protect

Ninetales-Alola is a possible lead for the team thanks to the Snow Warning + Aurora Veil combo and I thought about her also to sweep certain water mons with Freeze-Dry (Honestly I used it only for Pelipper so far Idk if it's the right move).

Primarina (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Draining Kiss

I don't know if it's reasonable to have a double Fairy-Type but Primarina is the main way to slow down the game pace. A bulkier build allows to take more time with substitute and Draining Kiss after some Calm Minds becomes a really good move both to make a lot of damage and healing Primarina.

Alestorm Enjoyer (Dhelmise) @ Metal Coat
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Anchor Shot
- Power Whip
- Helping Hand
- Poltergeist

I'm finding Dhelmise great thanks to Anchor Shot. This is supposed to be a sort of support to the team thanks to Helping Hand and Anchor Shot to keep the enemies there but at the same time it's a good Physical Sweeper (even if Poltergeist and Power Whip don't have 100% Accuracy). Though I'm really not sure about this kit in general and Metal Coat.

Reuniclus (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Magic Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Originally I thought about Reuniclus only as the Special Sweeper of the Team but after some games I made him the Trick Room setter making him a Bulkier Sweeper. The Weakness Policy instead of a Life Orb will make sense with the next mon I added to the team.

Xurkitree @ Air Balloon
Ability: Beast Boost
Calm Nature
- Brutal Swing
- Electroweb
- Light Screen
- Volt Switch

Ok, I know this kit is really really weird as generally Xurkitree is a Sweeper and not a support but I decided to put him here with this role because with Brutal Swing I can make Reuniclus' Weakness Policy working.
With Volt Switch and Electroweb Xurkitree is really annoying and can still do a decent amount of damage thanks to the enormous base Attack stat. Light Screen is useful to help both Reuniclus and Salazzle who have a low SpD stat.

Salazzle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Fake Out
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave

I'm really not sure about this, I'm finding Salazzle pretty useless though on paper she is supposed to be a good Fast Special Sweeper and really good against Fairy Types that can be very annoying considering I have only Dhelmise with Steel-type attacks.

Overall I think this is not bad but really improveable, so please let me know if there is something I can do better ^^

Interesting. I like Freeze-Dry, I imagine that shouldn't change. 4 SpD not HP on Salazzle for P2, fwiw Lies. If -def you already have more SpD. I'd replace Metal Coat on Dhelmise. Maybe just plain old Sitrus. Or AV, and use Liquidation over Helping Hand.

I'd look into a Sassy Primarina w/ more/max Def EVs. Maybe use Sludge Bomb on Salazzle to not hit the ally. Or even Toxic since theirs works on steels.
If Toxic is used run Overheat, as you'd be just one special attack, and mind the drop less. Heat Wave is an option.

I worry you may not actually benefit from Electroweb on a tr team, maybe run Dazzling Gleam. Xurkitree is low on other options, there is just Magnet Rise(for the turn they pop balloon,) and Eerie Impulse. I'd go w/ Dazzling Gleam.

Last edited:
Thank you, I changed Primarina also because I see Regieleki as a huge possible problem (Like this she can resist to a Volt Switch from a 252 SpA Life Orb Regieleki). I'll try these changes tomorrow and see how it goes ^^
I also thought about possibly changing Salazzle for a Talonflame running Tailwind to have speed control when Trick Room is off but I'm not that sure about that probably a better kit on Salazzle would make a better work as you said

Regieleki is definitely a problem as you say, I run Electro Ball on mine.

252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dhelmise: 87-102 (49.1 - 57.6%)

Basically always 2hkos Dhelmise, does lots to Reuniclus too. And ofc Salazzle is frail and Xurkitree can't hit it very hard even w/ their 80/50/50 bulk.

What did you replace Primarina w/? That's important to know, though you don't have to change it in the post(typically I don't, just mention it.)

What did you replace Primarina w/? That's important to know, though you don't have to change it in the post(typically I don't, just mention it.)
Sorry, I meant I changed the nature:
Sassy Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Draining Kiss

252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Primarina: 140-168 (74.8 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (100.00% chance to 2HKO after accuracy)

You take T-bolt, but you did that before too. What's this new spread for? You might want more SpD if Electro Ball is trouble but idk if it's even common.

You have 3 mons w/ 252/128/128 bulk. It's more common to do 252/252/4 or 252/4/252, what do they do? It'd help to know.

I love Freeze-Dry like I said but you might be better off w/ Blizzard. 2x 10% to freeze, and it always hits in hail.

What's sub on Prim do?

BTW only Ninetails-A of your mons is ranked in VR, and it's just tier 5, the lowest. So this may be hard to use as a 1st team. I can try to suggest some meta replacements. That said I have little idea of what relevant fits on hail. I don't play anything but BSS, I just rate these from boredom.

I know, put Protect on Prim cause it's lefties. Those are a good pair. Look into Modest over Quiet Reuniclus. It's slow anyway, and that reduces Foul Play damage. You could see that from Tornadus and TTar.

I think use at least one legend/mythical. OU seems to have many. Some are slow enough for your tr stuff.

Personally I'm offended by this, but Regieleki has no rank in Doubles OU VR, even though it is OU. So look more at Zapdos/Zeraroa match-up for electrics.

Fwiw, Reuniclus is bulky and doesn't have low SpD. You may not need Light Screen either, as Salazzle, who you also mention, is sash.

Zeraroa seems to fit well over Xurkitree. For one it's considered viable, it gets Brutal Swing too if you're keeping that, and it gets lots of options unlike Xurkitree.

5/6 fully special is too focused on one side btw. Chansey and AV exist. Psyshock over Psychic on Reunivclus helps here.

Cresselia is another good tr setter. Also, why not Incineroar over Salazzle? If you keep it and don't put Toxic on Salazzle I guess run Oblivious if you can.

Life Dew is a good move in doubles, as is Helping Hand, so either could go on Prim over CM. Then use Moonblast over Draining Kiss, if dropping cm.

Nihilego could go over Xurkitree, too. For the weaker Brutal Swing.

0- Atk Xurkitree Brutal Swing vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Reuniclus: 26-32 (11.9 - 14.7%)

0- Atk Nihilego Brutal Swing vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Reuniclus: 16-20 (7.3 - 9.2%)

It's not chiefly for that, but it helps and Nihi is a better beast booster usually.

I like what you're trying w/ Brutal Swing, is it possible that there's a better version? Like Petal Blizzard w/ a Sap Sipper. Then there's the old Beat Up+Justified thing.

Last edited:
252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Primarina: 140-168 (74.8 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (100.00% chance to 2HKO after accuracy)

You take T-bolt, but you did that before too. What's this new spread for? You might want more SpD if Electro Ball is trouble but idk if it's even common.

You have 3 mons w/ 252/128/128 bulk. It's more common to do 252/252/4 or 252/4/252, what do they do? It'd help to know.

I love Freeze-Dry like I said but you might be better off w/ Blizzard. 2x 10% to freeze, and it always hits in hail.

What's sub on Prim do?
I probably did something wrong in the damage calc simulator as I didn't see Prim surviving that Thunderbolt with +Def instead of +SpD ^^"

As the bulky spreads, I now have it only on Prim because I need him to be able to stall if needed and as we both saw he can already resist a Regieleki Thunderbolt but the Defense base stat is kinda low so I thought about giving him more Defense. Honestly I still did not try calcs with Prim's Defense so I'll try some calcs and then I'll see what is better.

I thought about Substitute to play Calm Mind safer but this way I can use Protect and Life Dew to play slower so it's not a big deal.

Now I tried to change the kit as you suggested and I gave him back his Relaxed Nature so the kit looks like this now:

Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Life Dew
- Scald
- Moonblast

BTW only Ninetails-A of your mons is ranked in VR, and it's just tier 5, the lowest. So this may be hard to use as a 1st team. I can try to suggest some meta replacements. That said I have little idea of what relevant fits on hail. I don't play anything but BSS, I just rate these from boredom.
Yeah I saw but honestly I think Aurora Veil is generally a really good move and I want to keep going with that.

Tho, I changed Freeze-Dry with Blizzard as in the end I only used Freeze-Dry for Pelipper and few more mons while Blizzard is really stronger generally.

Fwiw, Reuniclus is bulky and doesn't have low SpD. You may not need Light Screen either, as Salazzle, who you also mention, is sash.
Yeah, I'm trying to play Nihilego + Inci instead of Salazzle + Xurkitree and probably Light Screen is not that necessary, I will say more after a few more games ^^.

Cresselia is another good tr setter. Also, why not Incineroar over Salazzle? If you keep it and don't put Toxic on Salazzle I guess run Oblivious if you can.
Yeah, that's true but honestly at first I built this team as a sort of meme and then I noticed it could be actually useful but if it's not that bad (how I'm seeing) I want to try keep using Reuniclus and Ninetales

For the rest, I'm going with Inci with this kit:

Furry (Incineroar) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out
- U-turn

Nihilego could go over Xurkitree, too. For the weaker Brutal Swing.
And Nihilego like this:

Nihilego @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Brutal Swing
- Sludge Bomb
- Power Gem
- Protect

I like what you're trying w/ Brutal Swing, is it possible that there's a better version? Like Petal Blizzard w/ a Sap Sipper. Then there's the old Beat Up+Justified thing.
Yep, I think there are some and I really like this kind of plays so I'll look for more and I'll try something ^^

it's good that i helped, even though I've never played ou, doubles or not. I'd further look into Parting Shot on Incineroar, they both get you out and bug coverage is never really great.

Oh right, you can EV Nihilego to get Spe boosts, not SpA, on kos.

That should be the extent of what I can help you w/, idk what to calc for as I don't play this, and nothing looks weird anymore, besides what yoou're intent on.

Last edited:
Relaxed Nature

- Protect
- Life Dew
- Scald
- Moonblast

Bad evs (237 defense, 300 special defense)

Sassy nature is viable with your evs (128 in two defenses), but not relaxed because then:

EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Life Dew
- Scald
- Moonblast

Good evs (243 phys def, 300 SDEF)

If you play level 100, use 248 HP instead of 252 HP because 364 is divisible for 4 (and you should avoid that, curse kills in 4 turns instead of 5 for example).
I you play level 50, 252 HP is ok.

252 SpA Nihilego Meteor Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem-B: 218-260 (109 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO (90.00% after accuracy) It can run Thunderbolt if you need that(only hits 2 types SE but you lack electric.)

This seems good too, if you want to ohko Kyurem-B who is tier 1.

If you Knock Off an item be sure not to Poltergeist that mon.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm keep trying and right now I'm finding a lot of success (Even if I'm still playing at low elo so Idk how much does it count ^^")

The team looks like this now:

Ninetales-Alola (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Protect

EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 4 SpA / 20 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Life Dew
- Scald
- Moonblast

Reuniclus (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpA
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Alestorm Enjoyer (Dhelmise) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Anchor Shot
- Power Whip
- Helping Hand
- Poltergeist

Furry (Incineroar) (M) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out
- Parting Shot

Nihilego @ Power Herb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Brutal Swing
- Sludge Bomb
- Meteor Beam
- Protect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)