First try at a Hyper Offense team

I've been taking a crack at coming up with a HO team. I have always been more of a balanced offense type of player and wanted to give a different playstyle a shot. Here's what I've come up with that I've had some pretty good fun with.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

The pokemon I built this team around. Comes in late and hits things hard once they are dented. With a fantastic base speed, Adaptability Close Combat sweeps in the lategame are very common. Chose Bullet Punch as the last move as I was having considerable trouble hitting fairies. I previously had Crunch on the last spot to deal with any ghost/dark type that I hadn't cleared out previously. Been considering switching to a special variant even as most of my team hits on the physical side. Should I do this or no?

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Tyranitar provides some much needed bulkiness against special hits. And also comes in on Psychic or Ghost types. With AV and his EV spread, he can take a Focus Blast from Gengar or Alakazam and KO with Crunch. This is important as both of these outspeed the blue canine and need to be cleared out of the way so he can sweep. I've been really surprised with how bulky this thing is now compared to when I used it back in Gen 3. And the fact that weather only lasts 5 turns is to the benefit of my team as only Lucario resists the chip damage from the sand.

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 Spd / 236 HP
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Conkeldurr acts as a lure for bringing out the Pokemon that Tyranitar traps. Conk also acts as the team's status absorber (usually burn) and thus I have gone with the Guts/Lefties set. I've found that he can even sometimes take out the Ghost/Psychic types himself. Bring him in threatening a Mach Punch kill and Knock Off the switch in. If it's not a Ghost/Psychic type, it still helps to remove whatever item they are holding. Eating a burn and then hitting hard with Drain Punch is really fun as most people seem to assume I'm running an Iron Fist Conk.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

One of my favorite Pokemon of all time. Can usually come in on predicted EQs and wreak havoc from there, or comes in after someone's been killed. First time to actually use a Scarfed Moxie mence and I have been very, very pleased with how this thing performs. Scarfed outrages hit anything that isn't steel/fairy really hard. And it's able to take down a Pokemon or 2 before getting taken out. Scarf also allows Mence to revenge kill a lot of Pokemon without priority and I have even been able to sweep whole teams with just this guy. Really happy to see that Salamence has been able to withstand the test of time a bit and is still a solid Pokemon to use.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hammer Arm
- Taunt

With a team full of physical threats, I decided I needed something that hits from the special side. And with that I have chosen to go with Thundurus-I. A mixed Thundurus-I at that. I originally had Thunder Wave at the last slot but I found that having priority Taunt felt more useful for stopping BP chains or other Prankster mons from kicking in rather than having Thunder Wave support on the team. Hammer Arm is a nasty surprise for opposing Tyranitars, Excadrills, Chanseys and Blisseys who think they can wall the Thunder genie. This guy has pretty much been one of the MVPs of the team and usually is able to dish out a lot of pain before going away.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Spikes
- Fire Punch

Usually leads the way for the team, and honestly I don't seem to see why a Hyper Offense team wouldn't want him around. Magic Coat bounces taunts back. And I went with dual hazards as this thing outspeeds the entire metagame and is able to get off a layer of both before going away. The residual damage from SR and Spikes really helps the team with cleaning up the opposition. Fire Punch lets him hit Excadrill and Genesect leads. Although everyone knows he's running Fire Punch as his only attack move.

Closing Notes:
I have had a bit of success with this Hyper Offense team but I am open to suggestions as I feel that the team could still use a bit of tweaking. I've found that opposing fairy types can be a bit of a problem. Clefable is one of the pokemon I really hate seeing on team preview as I can't even wear that one down with residual damage.

Last edited:
The first problem I see is a lack of a spinner. This may be problematic due to not one but two stealth rock weaknesses on your team, so let's look at some viable spinners.
Starmie - I would use the bulky set, considering how your team is a bit frail in general.
Donphan and Forretress - The main advantages of these two is hazard support. You already have hazards. You can use one of these replacing deoxys-s, but I wouldn't recommend that (but you can give it a try)
Tentacruel - He's mainly for stall teams, but he could work on this team, I'm not sure to be honest.
Or Defog. But since it takes away your hazards (which are CRUCIAL for an HO team), I would advise against it.

Scarfed Terrakion can outspeed your whole team and OHKO it, except for conkeldurr, which will still take a decent amount from Close Combat. If Conkeldurr (or any other Pokemon) isn't much use to you, you may want to consider Slowbro. It is a very defensive pokemon for an HO team, but it has decent special attack, and ice beam and fire blast. I would run a Physically defensive Slowbro with Scald and Slack Off. For the last two moves, choose from Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Thunder Wave, or Psychic.

Your team has a problem with Will-O-Wisp, particularly from Rotom-Wash. You are right, your team is super physical. I would say use a Special Lucario, with Nasty Plot, Vacuum Wave or Aura Sphere, Flash Cannon, and Hidden Power Ice or Fire or Dark Pulse. He can deal w/ fairies easily at +2 SpAtk.

I would suggest you try out assault vest on Conkeldurr moving the HP EVs into Sp Def. Assault Vest Conkeldurr can switch into Scalds far more easily(nothing on your team wants to switch into it other than Conk so you might as well make it easier on Conk) and does well against Rotom W which your team might have difficulty with.

Sandstorm doesn't seem to be very helpful on this team since three of your members get damaged by it and there aren't any Mons on your team who have an ability to use it. If you do decide to give Conk an AV, you could probably replace Tyranitar with standard defensive Rotom W so that you still have a Mon that can handle Talonflame pretty well and Conkeldurr would handle special attacks. It also gives you a Water resist (Scarf Mence shouldn't really be switching into Scalds/Hydro Pumps), a good pivot and lessens your weakness to fighting types a bit. If Conk doesn't take special attacks well enough, you could give Rotom W mixed defenses with a spread of 248 HP, 184 Def, 76 Sp Def, Calm nature. This gives Rotom W one point higher of Def than Sp Def so Genesects get the Sp Atk boost (allows you to take U-Turn from it easier).

Switching Mega Lucario into a special set definitely would help with issues with Fariy types since Flash Cannon 2HKOes most if not all fairies. A moveset of Aura Sphere / Flash Cannon / Dark Pulse / Nasty Plot should be used if Ttar is replaced so that you can hit Ghost/Psychic types. Vaccum wave could probably be used over Dark Pulse if Ttar stays.

Lastly, you could replace Stone Edge for D-Claw so you can revenge Dragons without being locked into Outrage.

Hope this rate was helpful

Yeah it looks like switching to a special Luke would help solve some problems. Wouldn't an AV Conk eventualy have trouble with the residual damage from burn? Or is Drain Punch enough to solve all of that. I usually brought in Conk against Rotom-W and they would burn Conk and then their switch in gets hit hard with a Drain Punch. I'll see how it goes with the recovery from Lefties.

About the Terrakion problem. Haven't encountered a single one at all while playing with this team, but looking at it now, nothing can switch in on him reliably.

Losing T-tar's ability to pursuit trap might hurt. But I'll give Rotom-W a shot. Kinda worried about how Luke's sweep is gonna go when I have no easy way of taking out Gengar and Mega Zam.

Timid Mega Luke outspeeds Gengar and OHKOs with Flash Cannon after rocks unless they are scarfed (not that common). Mega Alakazam is not used much at all but if it does appear, Scarf Mence could take it out. If being outsped by fast Mons is a problem, switching Taunt to T-Wave on Thundurus should help.

The first problem I see is a lack of a spinner. This may be problematic due to not one but two stealth rock weaknesses on your team, so let's look at some viable spinners.
I'm a UU player, so don't quote me on this, but isn't the whole point of hyper offense is to have an stream of endless threats, and having a defensive pokemon that can't do very much damage defeat the purpose? And isn't that what his lead is doing, stopping hazards from getting set up?

Scarfed Terrakion can outspeed your whole team and OHKO it, except for conkeldurr, which will still take a decent amount from Close Combat. If Conkeldurr (or any other Pokemon) isn't much use to you, you may want to consider Slowbro. It is a very defensive pokemon for an HO team, but it has decent special attack, and ice beam and fire blast. I would run a Physically defensive Slowbro with Scald and Slack Off. For the last two moves, choose from Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Thunder Wave, or Psychic.
Whatever stab he choses the other 3 resist. He's not that big of a threat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)