First Uber Team

Hey, this is my first ubers team! I started yesterday and it got my CRE to the mid 1300s. As it goes up, I see that this team gets some more issues. I came to the point to pointing a RMT for the extra help. Any tips on how to make the uber leader board will be appreciated as well.

About the team

After doing another LC battle with the same guy on the ladder, I thought about getting into a new meta game. I tried all but ubers, so I decided to give it a shot. I enjoy this tier a lot more than the others because it is just extremely fun.

I wanted to build a team around Rock Polish Groudon. I got the idea when I was /watching/ august battle this guy in ubers on the CAP server I think last month. After watching him sweep, I was like "damn, that thing owns". I recalled this once I got the idea of getting into the uber meta game. The team's goal is to stack up a reasonable amount of entry hazards and weaken the opponent in order for Groudon to sweep late game. The thing has saved my ass even I'm down 5-2 or something. So yeah, without further or do here is the team!

Deoxys-e @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Extremespeed
- Signal Beam
- Taunt

Without a doubt, this is the best lead in the game. I cannot tell you how easy it is to get rocks up, it is amazing.

Deoxys-e's first move is the obvious Stealth rocks. Against Darkrai leads, I traditionally taunt first to avoid getting hit by a dark void. After getting rocks up, I use signal beam next. Against Deoxys or Darkrai, Signal beam should do enough damage to activate the sash(about 60% to darkrais), I can then use extreme speed to get a clean kill. The EVs and nature give me maximum speed and allows Signal beam to do the most damage possible. If the opponent is extremely ignorant, I might even be able to do some damage to him. People may use Shadow ball over signal beam, but I don't because I can hit Darkrai as I said before.

Giratina-o @ Platinum Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 Atk/196 Spd/64 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Shadow Sneak
- Outrage
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor

This thing is a true monster, with a STAB priority attack and reasonable defensives, Giratina-o is a true beast.

I got this set (and a few others) from a Smogon archive. I like to use them as reference to see how to use it and stuff since I am new to this meta game. G-o (as I will call it) serves as my rapid spin blocker. He also gives me a second priority attack to kill off a weakened Pokemon. Draco Meteor is my main STABed attack that does even more damage with the Platinum orb. Out rage is for those close situations where I'm up against a blissey or Kyogre and have to do some good amount of damage, fast. HP fire makes it incredibly easy to pick off a scizor that taken rock + spike damage, or a forretress trying to set up and/or rapid spin. The EVs allow me to do a nice amount of damage with outrage and shadow sneak. It also lets me to out speed Lugia, Giratina, and a few other nuisances. This guy has some nice synergy with Groudon and earned a solid position on this team.

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Payback / Explosion
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

Forretress is THE mon' to use in Ubers. It has the always useful Dragon resistance and can easily set up spikes.

Without him, this team wouldn't have the success it has. Using him seriously couldn't be easy, switch him on a dragon attack, or a weak physical attack and then spike up. Occasionally, I find that getting at least one layer of toxic spikes helps immensely when it comes to countering Palkia, Manaphy, or even Kyogre. Scizor hates taking spike damage a long with dialga. The real problem with him is that he is a major set up fodder. Rayquaza loves to switch on him, but I just pay back while he DDs up. Once he is at ~50% I can easily switch to scizor to revenge kill. If he can kill scizor, that is a problem. Because of this, Explosion is a nice option to have. I didn't test it out, but I know it could work.

The EVs are standard on a forretress in ubers. It allows it to take Thunder bolts and stuff like a beast and fire back with pay back or a support move. He has always done something in the battle field and is tough to take down.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200 HP/140 Atk/170 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

lol

This guy serves as my first revenge killer. I don't mind the fire weakness since I have it covered bellow. U-turn is used to kill a weakened Wabbufett. I would usually switch to G-o, who provides the second priority move and kill it with shadow sneak if it isn't dead already. Without this guy, Mewtwo and Rayquaza will run through my team like some simile that I can't come up with. Bullet punch is self explanatory and super power is used to kill slower things that I out speed. Pursuit is used when I can predict a Giratina switching or Lugia. I gave the standard Uber choice bander some more attack because I found that Rayquaza lives with 1% left from time to time. He has been working so far so I don't see a reason to change him. He helps Groudon by weakening Pokemon and forcing switches, which helps him score some OHKOs.

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spacial Rend
- Surf
- Thunder
- Flamethrower

This guy is the reason why this team doesn't get burned to the ground. He has the incredible water / dragon typing that is only shared by kingdra and is what Gyarados should have. He packs one of the best STABs in the game and can easily revenge kill many threats with his high sp.atk stat.

Palkia is a cool mecha thingy Pokemon. With many unique sets, forcing a switch is common. Special rend is an awesome attack, STAB and base 100 is a real gift. It allows me to kill an un-boosted Rayquaza(or even one after a DD) and Giratina-o. He does a massive amount of damage to anything unresisted (and some pokemon that resist) with this one attack. That 95% accuracy is a bit meh since I miss in some sticky situations. Surf is his secondary STAB and with Rain up (everyone uses Kyogre) it does hellalot. Thunder allows me to counter Kyogre, which I can easily KO after residual damage and it allows me to kill Manaphy with ease. Flamethrower is used in case I sent out groudon early and have the sun up, it also lets me OHKO scizor, forretress, and a few other steels.
He is on this team because he can easily absorb a Kyogre's water spout or a Fire attack. He also serves as my second revenge killer and does an amazing job doing it.

Groudon @ Life Orb

Ability: Drought
EVs: 112 HP/252 Atk/8 Def/136 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Well, the sta- frigging beastly red mecha guy of the show! With a base 150 attack stat and STAB earthquake, this thing is a total beast. He saved my butt so many times, it isn't funny.

Groundon has a average, yet good speed stat of 90. With a Jolly nature, I can out speed and OHKO a scarf chomp with ease. The Life orb is necessary to this set because I'm not using an adamant nature, and it gets me some much needed OHKOs. The EVs allow me to out speed majority of scarfed Pokemon after a rock polish, with an adamant nature that isn't possible. Earthquake is my STAB attack and OHKOs many things that don't resist it, Kyogre takes a massive ~80% which is an OHKO after the residual damage. Dragon claw is to kill a weakened Pokemon as well as Giratina and Latios. Stone edge is lastly used for those who resist both of the said attacks above.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problems and stuff will be listed in the second post

Team Building

Rock Polish Groudon is a real force, so I wanted to build a team around it.

Groudon hates spikes and entry hazards in general. Kyogre is extremely annoying and hates to take spike damage, after looking at some other RMTs I thought of using forretress.

The next thing I thought of is a spin blocker. Again looking at some RMTs, I decided to add Giratina-o

I now needed some sort of lead. I was considering a Tyranitar and decided to use it, but after getting my ass handed by a Deoxys-s many times, I decided to use one

It looked pretty good now. I needed some sort of Scarfer and tried many. I even tried to use a scarf rayquaza until I heard of Palkia. It is able to check many uber Pokemon and has some useful resistances.

This last slot I really didn't know what to use. Skymin looked decent so I just decided to throw it in.

After failing with this crap team, I realized that Kyogre is a real bitch to this. I decided to replace Skymin with a Kyogre to solve this issue (I just started =o)

After realizing that this team is shit and Rayquaza can run through it, I decided to replace Kyogre with Scizor. It has some nice synergy with this team and could seriously work well.

----------------------------------------------------------
-Snipped from the Guide to uber battling-
Threat list

Mewtwo - Scizor is my main answer to these, after spike, rocks and poison damage, it is relatively easy to take down. Giratina-o can also shadow sneak it

Mew - I. Hate. These. I got nothing to take these down, what I usually do is go to deoxys if it is still alive and taunt it. Other than that, these can always set up on me.

Wobbuffet - Always gets me a mon' down. Sometimes I can predict with Palkia and go to Scizor while he switches into this thing, I would then U-turn to Giratina-o

Lugia - I start to see these guys more. Lugia walls my entire team and can easily shuffle through it with Whirlwind. I can hopefully Go to groudon and stone edge or something.

Ho-Oh - Not the most common Pokemon. Palkia easily handles them though, but I might need to death fodder something.

Latios and Latias - Scizor can switch in on a choiced one and pursuit it, Giratina can shadow sneak, Palkia can out speed latios of it has soul dew and then hit it with special rend

Kyogre - If Palkia is down, these things are a major bitch. I would normally go to palkia to take the water spowt and then Thunder. I know it won't ohko, but if palkia fails to kill it, hopefully I can go to giratina and do it.

Groudon - Forretress can take anything this guy can do bar a special fire attack or a fire punch and then use it as a set up fodder. Palkia can out speed them (not rock polish ones) and easily kill it with surf or special rend if it is weakened.

Rayquaza - This guy, if he gets an SD up always makes me lose a Pokemon. I would normally play around with the life orb recoil and then go to Scizor for the kill

Deoxys-A - Scizor

Deoxys-D - Giratina can handle these, scizor as well.

Deoxys-S
- These guys are leads, Scizor can u-turn out to giratina and then shadow sneak

Palkia - I first find out what he is running, though I just switch to my palkia on a surf or something and then special rend. Forretress can switch in on a choiced dragon attack and then use it as a set up fodder.

Dialga - Biggest threat to this team. Mixed Dialga I would go to forretress to take the draco meteor, and then Groudon to earthquake it to death. Rest bulk up ones are impossible for me to kill, all I can do is go to Groudon and earthquake spam hoping for some crit.

Giratina - My Giratina can kill one with shadow sneak, Groudon can dragon claw it to death. These things are seriously hurt by toxic spikes

Darkrai - Scizor is my main answer, Groudon easily kills one once it gets a rock polish

Manaphy - Acid armer variants are impossible for me to kill. Palkia is normally severally weakened when these come out so it is unable to thunder spam.

Garchomp - Groudon if it gets a rock polish up, Scizor can kill a weakened one. Palkia can also kill them (non scarfed)

Giratina-O - I normally go to Palkia and Special rend it to death, Scizor can take a Draco meteor and fire back bullet punches.

Shaymin-S - Leads I go to scizor and 2hko it with bullet punch. Same with the rest. If Scizor is down, these are some what difficult to kill.

Metagross - Groudon can easily switch in on a meteor mash and set up.

Blissey - See above. Giratina can outrage and Scizor can super power

Heatran - Palkia, Groudon, Giratina all can take this guy on

Weavile - Residual damage owns him, Scizor and Groudon can both take this guy on.

Tyranitar - Forretress walls them without a fire attack, Palkia.

Skarmory - Palkia, Giratina

Forretress - Giratina

Magnezone - Lol. Spike damage seriously hurts him, Palkia can revenge it or Groudon can kill it.

Ninjask - Scizor would normally spam bullet punches so it can't sub up or baton pass. Stealth rock damage seriously hurts him, Deoxys can taunt the lead varients and set up rocks.

Heracross - Forretress can take most attacks and so can groudon.

Shedinja - Lol

Scizor - Groudon can switch in on many attacks and set up

Swift Swimmers - All I can do is fire powerful attacks like Draco meteor and Special rend. Kingdra is the real problem since I can't really safely switch in groudon on it to rid the rain.

Jirachi - Groudon, Giratina

Bronzong - Groudon can use him as a set up bait, Giratina can use hp fire.

Lucario - If It gets an SD up, all I can do is go to Forretress and then use pay back. After that hopefully I can go to scizor or giratina to revenge kill.

Gengar - Scizor.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Got a few suggestions for you.

-Groudon's nature should be Adamant. The things you outspeed with Jolly are easily handled by your other team members, and you'll really like the extra power.

-Use Explosion over TSpikes on Forry. Toxic Spikes benefits no one on your team and Explosion can be used as an emergency resort vs. Rayquaza. Speaking of Rayquaza, the only variant you should be worried about is Jolly SD, and Palkia can take an ESpeed from that. (Same goes for Luke.)

-Something that can check everything red on your threat list bar swift swimmers is Taunt CM Mewtwo. Use it over Forry, who does nothing except for Spin.

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 72 Def / 180 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere

*72 Def lets you take a +2 Ray ESpeed after SR.

-Now that Forry is gone, use Spikes over ESpeed on Deoxys-S

It seems like a good team. If these changes don't help, PM me and I'll try to help you out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)