Flareon (Full Revamp) +

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/flareon

Flareon got Lava Plume and Superpower added to its movepool from Platinum, meaning some changes had to be made. I also don't like the idea of 2 Baton Pass sets with practically nothing written under them.

Mixed Flareon was posted by Stellar, but I saw no actual Revamp. Credit to Stellar for the Mixed Set. :)

[SET]
name: Wish
move 1: Wish
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Lava Plume
move 4: Protect / Hidden Power Rock
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With great Special Defense, immunity to Fire and resistance to Grass, Flareon makes a brilliant switch in on Grass-types and most Ninetales. It can also take unboosted Surfs from the likes of Mantine or Blastoise and stall them out with Toxic and Wish / Protect.</p>

<p>Wish offers good team support, whilst Toxic allows Flareon to do consistent damage to Water-types. Lava Plume, as well as getting STAB, will hit Steel and Poison-types who are immune to Toxic. It also has a fairly high burn rate. Protect allows Flareon to scout choiced pokemon and helps to build up Toxic damage. Hidden Power Rock will allow Flareon to hit both Altaria and Ninetales who switch in expecting a Fire-type attack.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Return
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb
nature: Lonely
evs: 192 Atk / 184 SpA / 124 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Flareon is able to break a number of UU walls with the use of a mixed attacking set. Fire Blast nets a guaranteed OHKO against max HP / max SpD Steelix, but Flareon must be careful when switching in due to the possibility of Earthquake or Stone Edge. Superpower allows Flareon to always OHKO Ninetales when factoring in Stealth Rock damage, and will do a minimum of 88% to standard Clefable (with a 28% chance to OHKO). Hitmonlee is always OHKOed even without Stealth Rock. Return allows Flareon to 2HKO standard Hypno (252 HP / 64 Def, Calm) and Grumpig 100% of the time when taking into account Stealth Rock and Leftovers, and gives Flareon decent type coverage when used alongside Fire Blast and Superpower. Hidden Power Grass allows Flareon to OHKO standard Quagsire.</p>

<p>The specified Attack EVs not only allow Flareon to 2HKO standard Grumpig and Hypno with Return and OHKO Clefable with Superpower, but they also achieve a bonus stat point. With 168 Speed EVs, Flareon has a Speed stat of 197, allowing it to outspeed everything from 0 Speed Meganium down, including Blastoise, Nidoqueen and Claydol. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Attack in order to maximize the damage dealt by Fire Blast. Due to Flareon's already paltry base 60 Defense, a Lonely nature is used so that neither of Flareon's attacking stats are reduced.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Fire Fang
move 3: Bite
move 4: Return
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Attack is the higher of Flareon's two offensive stats, and it gets enough physical moves to make a decent Choice Bander. Superpower is a powerful hit-and-run move which will do good damage to Clefable and Steelix ,OHKOing and 2HKOing respectively, and will completely destroy any Rock/Steel-types such as Aggron. Return will 2HKO Hypno, Grumpig, and Mantine. Flareon's only physical STAB move, Fire Fang, is weaker than both Superpower and Return, but it hits Grass-types and Dry Skin Toxicroak harder than Return. Bite offers more power against Hypno and Grumpig, as well as Lunatone and Solrock. It is also Flareon's best chance at damaging Ghost-types such as Rotom and Drifblim, 2HKOing them both no matter how much they invest in HP and Defense.</p>

<p>Quick Attack and Iron Tail are other decent options to consider on this set. Quick Attack will hit any faster or weakened opponents, but is generally of little use. Iron Tail can lower Defense, but its accuracy is a let down and will often be outclassed by Return.</p>

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Substitute / Curse
move 2: Baton Pass
move 4: Yawn / Wish
evs: 252 HP / 76 SpA / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Flareon, like the other Eeveelutions, can learn Baton Pass. Unfortunately, Flareon's best moves to Baton Pass are Substitute and Curse -- both done better in OU by Umbreon. However, in UU, Flareon has less competition for this role. 180 Speed EVs hits 211 Speed which will allow Flareon to outrun base 55s with a neutral nature, allowing you to pass a Substitute before you get attacked. Yawn helps to pull off the pass, but Wish will allow Flareon to continue passing, but HP rather than a Substitute. Lava Plume is used for its good burn chance, and in case of Taunt.</p>

<p>Curse is a reasonable option for Flareon to pass, so it can be used over Substitute, though using both on one set isn't advised. If you choose this, Fire Fang or Return should be used over Lava Plume, and the Speed / Special Attack EVs should be put into Special Defense instead.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Overheat
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Electric
move 4: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although Flareon's Special Attack is lower than its Attack, Flareon's STAB moves are stronger on the special side. Choice Specs Overheat packs massive power when coming from 475 Special Attack - enough to 2HKO 252/152 Bold Clefable. Hypno and Grumpig avoid 2HKOs, which is why Shadow Ball is included to 2HKO both. Hidden Power Electric hits Mantine for super effective with a 54% chance of OHKOing 252/252 Calm with Stealth Rock damage. Hidden Power Grass deals with Water/Ground-types and the less common Water/Rock-types. The final Fire-type move gives Flareon a chance to attack without losing stats. Flamethrower is more reliable, but Fire Blast packs more power.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Tickle, Charm and Fake Tears can be used to cause switches.</p>

<p>Double Edge and Body Slam can be used in place of Return for the extra power or paralysis chance. Flail is not recommended due to Flareon's sub-par Speed stat.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Ground and Rock will hit other Fire-types, and Hidden Power Ice will hit Altaria, but both are usually inferior to Hidden Power Grass as they take away Flareon's ability to hit Water-types.</p>

[EVs]

<p>252 HP will help Flareon take hits on the support sets, and 252 SpD accompanies it well due to Flareon's mediocre Defense. Base 110 Special Defense allows Flareon to survive Surfs suprisingly well, and will soften Ice Beams and Energy Balls, which are ample switch-in opportunities.</p>

<p>168 Speed EVs puts Flareon ahead of all Base 85s who do not invest in Speed. Maxing out the offensive stat with a boosting nature allows the offensive sets to hit hard. The rest should go into HP.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Flareon is a missed opportunity. 130 base Attack is put to waste with no decent STAB move and its Special Attack isn't anything to write home about. As an offensive Pokemon, Flareon struggles to do anything better than its fellow Fire-Types. Its saving grace is the ability to pass Wishes and Substitutes.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Altaria is the best counter to support sets, resisting Fire moves and taking status with Natural Cure. Camerupt is also good at taking Flareon's attacks, but won't enjoy Toxic. Hypno and Grumpig can wall the Choice Specs set, but need to watch out for Shadow Ball. Bulky Water-types can easily handle the Choice Band set.</p>

<p>Prediction is the best weapon against the Choice Sets. Flareon's coverage is poor, so working around that is helpful. Stealth Rock coupled with Roar and Whirlwind will deal with Flareon, thanks to its Rock weakness, and the inability to successfully pass.</p>

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The first set might like HP Rock for damaging Ninetales and Altaria or something?

If Lava Plume is the only option, then Will-o-Wisp is largely redundant. In testing Flareon, I did find Hidden Power Rock the best option in the fourth slot, though unboosted HP Rock doesn't do much to Altaria, and you've got to hit most variants on the switch-in anyway as they outspeed and generally carry Earthquake or Outrage. Hidden Power Ground does have it's advantages, particularly against the likes of Kabutops and Omastar who come in for free and set up on you otherwise. It won't KO, but it gives you an option against them if you can hit them on the switch-in. Probopass doesn't like it either. I'd list both on the main set, and remove Will-o-wisp if you're listing Lava Plume as the sole choice for STAB.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Choice Specs Overheat I highly doubt 2HKOs Clefable when you factor in the Attack drop. Did you?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would actually like to see the mixed attacker higher up on the list (this isn't biased), it's been by far the most effective Flareon set that I've used.

Choice Specs Overheat I highly doubt 2HKOs Clefable when you factor in the Attack drop. Did you?
Yes. I did.

252/0

331 - 390 (84.01% - 98.98%)

166 - 196 (42.13% - 49.75%)

252/100

270 - 318 (68.53% - 80.71%)

135 - 160 (34.26% - 40.61%)

Edited in HP Rock on the first set and rearranged the sets a bit.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/flareon

Flareon got Lava Plume and Superpower added to its movepool from Platinum, meaning some changes had to be made. I also don't like the idea of 2 Baton Pass sets with practically nothing written under them.

Mixed Flareon was posted by Stellar, but I saw no actual Revamp. Credit to Stellar for the Mixed Set. :)

[SET]
Name: Wish
Move 1: Wish
Move 2: Toxic
Move 3: Lava Plume
Move 4: Protect / Will-O-Wisp
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With great Special Defense, immunity to Fire and resistance to Grass, Flareon makes a brilliant switch in on Grass-types and most Ninetales. It can also take unboosted Surfs from the likes of Mantine or Blastoise and stall them out with Toxic and Wish / Protect.</p>

<p>Wish offers good team support, whilst Toxic allows Flareon to do consistent damage to Water-types. Lava Plume gets STAB and will hit Steel-types and Grass/Poison-types, which are immune to Toxic. It also has a very nice chance to burn. Protect allows Flareon to scout choiced pokemon and build up Toxic damage. Will-O-Wisp is an option to hit physical based Water-types, but Lava Plume's burn rate makes up for that.</p>

[SET]
Name: Baton Pass
Move 1: Substitute / Curse
Move 2: Baton Pass
Move 3: Lava Plume
Move 4: Yawn / Wish
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpA / 108 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Flareon, like the other Eeveelutions, can learn Baton Pass. Unfortunately, Flareon's best moves to Baton Pass are Substitute and Curse -- done better in OU by Umbreon. In UU, Flareon has less competition for this role. 108 Speed EVs hits 198 Speed, which allows Flareon to outspeed a majority of its usual counters, letting you pass a Substitute before getting hit. Yawn helps to pull off the pass, while Wish will allow Flareon to continue passing, though you will pass HP instead of a Substitute. Lava Plume is used for its good burn chance, and Taunt cannot stop it.</p>

<p>[/u]Passing Curse is a reasonable option for Flareon[/u], so it can be used over Substitute, though using both on one set isn't advised. If you choose this, Fire Fang and Return are options over Lava Plume, and the Speed / Special Attack EVs can be put into Special Defense instead.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
EVs: 192 Atk / 148 SpA / 168 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Flareon is able to break a number of UU walls with the use of a mixed attacking set. Fire Blast nets a guaranteed OHKO against max HP / max SpD Steelix, but Flareon must be careful when switching in because of Earthquake and Stone Edge. Superpower allows Flareon to always OHKO standard Clefable (252 HP / 152 Def Bold) and Ninetales when factoring in Stealth Rock. Superpower also allows Flareon to always OHKO Hitmonlee. Return allows Flareon to always 2HKO standard Hypno (252 HP / 64 Def Calm) and Grumpig when Stealth Rock and Leftovers are factored in, and gives Flareon decent type coverage when paired with Fire Blast and Superpower. Hidden Power Grass allows Flareon to OHKO standard Quagsire. Hidden Power Ice is Flareon's best option against Altaria, but Flareon can only revenge kill Altaria before it has the opportunity to Dragon Dance.</p>

<p>The specified Attack EVs not only allow Flareon to 2HKO standard Grumpig and Hypno with Return and OHKO Clefable with Superpower, but they also achieve a bonus stat point. With 168 Speed EVs, Flareon has a Speed stat of 208, allowing it to outspeed those Pokemon with base 85 Speed with no EV investment. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Attack to maximize the damage dealt by Fire Blast. Due to Flareon's paltry base 60 Defense, a Lonely nature is used so neither of Flareon's attacking stats are reduced.</p>

[SET]
Name: Choice Band
Move 1: Return
Move 2: Superpower
Move 3: Fire Fang
Move 4: Bite / Quick Attack
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Attack is the higher of Flareon's offensive stats, and it gets enough physical moves to make a fair Choice Bander. Superpower is a powerful hit-and-run move which will do good damage to Clefable and Steelix (OHKOing and 2HKOing respectively) and will completely destroy any Rock/Steel-types. Return will 2HKO Hypno, Grumpig, and Mantine. Flareon's only physical STAB move, Fire Fang, is weaker than both Superpower and Return, but it allows Flareon to hurt Grass-types and Toxicroak. Bite offers more power against Hypno and Grumpig, as well as Lunatone and Solrock. Quick Attack is useful for weakened, faster enemies.</p>

[SET]
Name: Choice Specs
Move 1: Overheat
Move 2: Shadow Ball
Move 3: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Electric
Move 4: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EVs: 90 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although Flareon's Special Attack is lower than its Attack, Flareon's STAB moves are stronger on the special side. Choice Specs Overheat packs massive power when coming from 475 Special Attack - enough to 2HKO standard Clefable. Hypno and Grumpig avoid 2HKOs, while Shadow Ball 2HKOs both. Hidden Power Electric hits Mantine for super-effective damage, and has a 54% chance of OHKOing 252/252 Calm Mantine with Stealth Rock down. Hidden Power Grass will deal with Water/Ground-types and the less common Water/Rock-types. The final Fire-type move gives Flareon a chance to attack without losing stats. Flamethrower is more reliable, but Fire Blast packs more power.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>Tickle, Charm and Fake Tears can be used to cause switches.</p>

<p>Double Edge and Body Slam can be used in place of Return for the extra power or the Paralysis chance, respectively. Flail is not recommended due to Flareon's sub-par Speed stat.</p>

<p>Both Hidden Power Ground and Hidden Power Rock will hit other Fire-types, while Hidden Power Ice will hit Altaria, but both are usually inferior to Hidden Power Grass, as they none of these attacks hit Water-types.</p>

[EVs]

<p>252 HP will help Flareon take hits on the support sets, and 252 SpD accompanies it well due to Flareon's mediocre Defense.</p>

<p>168 Speed EVs puts Flareon ahead of all Base 85s who do not invest in Speed. Maxing out the offensive stat with a boosting nature allows the offensive sets to hit hard. The rest should go into HP.</p>

[OPINION]
<p>Flareon is a missed opportunity. 130 base Attack is put to waste with no decent STAB move and its Special Attack isn't anything to write home about. As an offensive Pokemon, Flareon struggles to do anything better than its fellow Fire-Types. Its saving grace is the ability to pass Wishes and Substitutes.</p>

[COUNTERS]
<p>Altaria is the best counter to support sets, resisting Fire moves and taking status with Natural Cure. Magcargo and Camerupt are also good at taking Flareon's attacks, but won't enjoy Toxic. Hypno and Grumpig can wall the Choice Specs set, but need to watch out for Shadow Ball. Bulky Water-types can easily handle the Choice Band set.</p>

<p>Prediction is the best weapon against the Choice Sets. Flareon's coverage is poor, so working around that is helpful. Stealth Rock coupled with Roar and Whirlwind will deal with Flareon, thanks to its Rock weakness, and will stop it from passing.</p>
In the Wish set, this sentence is really awkward:
It also has a very nice chance to burn.
In the Baton Pass set, is there some reason Lava Plume is still the recommended option when Curse-passing?

In the mixed attacker set, it is ambiguous as to which Grumpig set(s) you mean, especially when you quantify Clefable and Hypno. Do you mean all Grumpig, or a specific set, or what? And whenever you mentioned a standard in this set, you gave an EV spread. You should do the same for Quagsire.

In the Choice Specs set, you switch from future tense to present tense; just pick one and stick with it.

In the EV section, you should stress how the 252 SpD EVs boost Flareon's good SpD instead of mentioning its bad Defense.

In general, putting 6 EVs instead of 4 is inconsistent with the rest of your article when you use 508 EVs for the other sets. Re-read the thing and see if there's anything else that you would change. I would change more, but we don't share writing styles.

Also, I'm unsure if capitalization is important for inputting the database, so I highlighted where you're case is off.

edit: i was gonna number the sets i had issues with instead of putting their names. good thing i changed my mind lol. i didn't look at the edit, but if you didn't change anything besides hp rock on the first set, then my edits still hold water.

^

Wish set: Changed

BP Set: It's not, hence it says Fire Fang / Return.

Mixed set: Not mine. I can't answer those xD. However, it's not necessary to list EVERY pokemon's standard EV spread. Only when it gives emphasis.

Specs set: ???? I don't understand.

EV Section: Done

EV Spreads: Done

Capitalising: I dont think it makes a difference. My parasect set was capitalised and went in alright, but people tend not to and it works.

Wish set: Changed

BP Set: It's not, hence it says Fire Fang / Return.

Mixed set: Not mine. I can't answer those xD. However, it's not necessary to list EVERY pokemon's standard EV spread. Only when it gives emphasis.

Specs set: ???? I don't understand.

EV Section: Done

EV Spreads: Done

Capitalising: I dont think it makes a difference. My parasect set was capitalised and went in alright, but people tend not to and it works.
I swore I saw a shift from future tense to present tense in the Specs set, but I don't see it now so it's all good. As for the BP set, you don't make a judgment call on whether or not Fire Fang / Return is better, you just say that you may do this or you may do that. You said yourself it's better in this post, so you should recommend it over Lava Plume rather than stating it as an alternative. That's what I mean.

As for the capitalization, like I said, I wasn't sure, so I didn't edit in the big quote; thanks for the heads-up.

I wouldn't mention OHKOing Clefable with Stealth Rock in play, with Superpower from the Mix Flareon. Most Clefable run Magic Guard, and won't take entry hazard damage. I would just mention "Flareon also does a minimum of x% to Clefable".

I thought so too until I did a damage calculation, which came out as 88.83% - 104.57%, 28.21% chance of a OHKO, 100% with Stealth Rock, hence I assume he meant with Stealth Rock in play against Clefable, which in my opinion could be reworded to "Superpower allows Flareon to always OHKO Ninetales when factoring in Stealth Rock, as well as allowing Flareon to do a minimum of 88% to Bold 252/152 Clefable. "

I use a mixed attacker set in OU.

Flareon @ Life Orb
Mild, 60 Att / 224 SpA / 224 Spd
30 IV for HP and SpA
Fire Blast
Superpower
HP Grass
Substitute

This set uses Superpower to OHKO Tyranitar and to OHKO Heatran after SR damage. It out speeds adamant Tyranitar and anything slower. HP Grass is for coverage.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Eh, Substitute + Life Orb is usually frowned upon. I'd just state about the Mixed Flareon set working in OU but precaution of Life Orb recoil + Sandstorm + Stealth Rock taking a toll on it (around 41%... ouch).

[SET]
name: Wish
move 1: Wish
move 2: Toxic
move 4: Protect / Hidden Power Rock
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Wish provides good team support, whilst Toxic allows Flareon to do consistent damage to Water-types. Lava Plume, as well as getting STAB, will hit Steel (removed "-types") and (removed "Grass/" since it hits all Poison types) Poison-types who are immune to Toxic. It also has a fairly high burn rate. Protect allows Flareon to scout Choiced pokemon and help to build up Toxic damage. Hidden Power Rock will allow Flareon to hit both Altaria and Ninetales who switch in expecting a Fire-type attack.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
evs: 192 Atk / 148 SpA / 168 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Flareon is able to break a number of UU walls with the use of a mixed attacking set. Fire Blast nets a guaranteed OHKO against max HP / max SpD Steelix, but Flareon must be careful when switching in due to the possibility of Earthquake or Stone Edge. Superpower allows Flareon to always OHKO Ninetales when factoring in Stealth Rock damage and will do a minimum of 88% to standard Clefable (with a 28% chance to OHKO). Hitmonlee is always OHKOed even without Stealth Rock (why Hitmonlee? not a UU wall. If anything, you should mention Hitmontop>Lee). Return allows Flareon to 2HKO standard Hypno (252 HP / 64 Def, Calm) and Grumpig 100% of the time when taking into account Stealth Rock and Leftovers, and gives Flareon decent type coverage when used alongside Fire Blast and Superpower. Hidden Power Grass allows Flareon to OHKO standard Quagsire (and Gastrodon?). Hidden Power Ice is Flareon's best option against Altaria, but Flareon can only revenge kill Altaria before it has the opportunity to Dragon Dance.</p>

<p>The specified Attack EVs not only allow Flareon to 2HKO standard Grumpig and Hypno with Return and OHKO Clefable with Superpower, but they also achieve a bonus stat point. With 168 Speed EVs, Flareon has a Speed stat of 208, allowing it to outspeed those Pokemon with base 85 Speed with no EV investement. The remainder of EVs are placed into Special Attack in order to maximize the damage dealt by Fire Blast. Due to Flareon's already paltry base 60 Defense, a Lonely nature is used so that neither of Flareon's attacking stats are reduced. (no, that's not why you are using a Lonely nature. I believe you mean this: "Due to Flareon's already paltry base 60 Defense, a Lonely nature is used over Naughty to preserve its attacking stats and good Special Defense.")</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Return
move 3: Fire Fang
move 4: Bite / Quick Attack
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Attack is the higher of Flareon's two offensive stats, and it gets enough physical moves to make a (removed "fairly") decent Choice Bander. Superpower is a powerful hit-and-run move which will do good damage to Clefable and Steelix (OHKOing and 2HKOing respectively) and will completely destroy (removed "any") Rock/Steel-types like Aggron and Probopass. Return will 2HKO Hypno, Grumpig, and Mantine. Flareon's only physical STAB move, Fire Fang, is weaker than both Superpower and Return, but (removed "it") hits Grass-types and Dry Skin Toxicroak harder than Return. Bite offers more power against Hypno and Grumpig, as well as Lunatone and Solrock. Quick Attack is useful for picking off weakened, faster foes.</p>

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Substitute / Curse
move 2: Baton Pass
move 4: Yawn / Wish
evs: 252 HP / 148 SpA / 108 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Flareon, like the other Eeveelutions, can learn Baton Pass. Unfortunately, Flareon's best moves to Baton Pass are Substitute and Curse -- both done better in OU by Umbreon. However, in UU, Flareon has less competition for this role. 108 Speed hits 198 Speed which will allow Flareon to outspeed most of its usual counters, allowing you to pass a Substitute before you get attacked. Yawn helps to pull off the pass, but Wish will allow Flareon to continue passing, but HP rather than a Substitute. Lava Plume is used for its good burn chance, and in case of Taunt.</p> I don't really like this paragraph, so here is an edited version:

<p>Like its Eevee brethren, Flareon learns the ever useful Baton Pass. Unfortunately, its best moves to pass are Substitute and Curse - both of which are done better by Umbreon in OU. In UU, however, you will be tight to find an alternate for this role. 108 Speed EVs allows Flareon to hit 198 Speed; outspeeding (I found that you could really drop the Speed (or maximize it) as you are only gaining the ability to outrun the unpopular +Nature 252 Speed Shedinja and 252 Speed Unknown when you could still outrun everything with 190 Spe)[/U] base 40 Pokemon with a +Nature and 252 EVs and 0 Speed base 70s. Yawn can help pull off a succesful pass, but Wish should be considered to heal itself and its teammates. Lava Plume is used for a good Burn chance and in case of Taunt.</p>

<p>Curse is a reasonable option for Flareon to pass, so it can be used over Substitute, though using both on one set isn't advised. If you choose this, Fire Fang or Return should be used over Lava Plume, and the Speed / Special Attack EVs should be put into Special Defense instead.</p>

That's all I can get to for now. :) Flareon is coool.

[SET]
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power [Ground]
nature: Lonely / Mild
evs: 192 Atk / 148 SpA / 168 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Flareon is able to break a number of UU walls with the use of a mixed attacking set. Fire Blast nets a guaranteed OHKO against max HP / max SpD Steelix, but Flareon must be careful when switching in due to the possibility of Earthquake or Stone Edge. Superpower allows Flareon to always OHKO Ninetales when factoring in Stealth Rock and will do a minimum of 88% to standard Clefable (with a 28% chance to OHKO). Hitmonlee is always OHKOed even without Stealth Rock. Return allows Flareon to 2HKO standard Hypno (252 HP / 64 Def, Calm) and Grumpig 100% of the time when taking into account Stealth Rock and Leftovers, and gives Flareon decent type coverage when used alongside Fire Blast and Superpower. Hidden Power Grass allows Flareon to OHKO standard Quagsire. Hidden Power Ice is Flareon's best option against Altaria, but Flareon can only revenge kill Altaria before it has the opportunity to Dragon Dance.</p>

<p>The specified Attack EVs not only allow Flareon to 2HKO standard Grumpig and Hypno with Return and OHKO Clefable with Superpower, but they also achieve a bonus stat point. With 168 Speed EVs, Flareon has a Speed stat of 208, allowing it to outspeed those Pokemon with base 85 Speed with no EV investement. The remainder of EVs are placed into Special Attack in order to maximize the damage dealt by Fire Blast. Due to Flareon's already paltry base 60 Defense, a Lonely nature is used so that neither of Flareon's attacking stats are reduced.</p>

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mild isn't an option because then the entire comment section is pretty much void. You lose too much attacking power without gaining anything really. Hidden Power Ground is equally as useless due to Superpower / Fire Blast.

Thanks to everyone who helped :)

@Diinbong: Edited in some of it. I don't really like your alternate paragraph much though =/
The 198 speed outspeeds all non-investing base 80s by 2 points. Seems like a reasonable stat to me.

@OU mixed: Residual damage problems, and it's not much different to the UU mixed one =/

I wouldn't use a OU mix, the current mix seems fine.

Also:
"Protect allows Flareon to scout choiced pokemon and helps to build up Toxic damage."
"enough to 2HKO 252/152 Bold Clefable"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)