Flipping the coin: A Ladder Warstory.

I'm not a big Shoddy user, but with me checking minimal stats on Heatran for my attempts to catch a good HP Ice version, I decided to hop on and have a few battles on the Smogon ladder. After a few battles where I was haxed to death, I decided on one last battle against tony32 who was my ladder opponent in a battle that rekindled my battling spirit.

Tony32's moves will look like this.
fishyfool's moves will look like this.
My comments look like this.
other text will look like this.
Leftovers will be removed.
Nicknames will be removed.
Scores will be shown after each KO.

The following pokemon have lefties: Fishy: Rotom, Cresselia, Tentacruel.
tony32: Salamence, Slowking.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Tony32 sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
fishyfool sent out Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).

My natural thought with Azelf leads is very easy: ALLAHU ACKBAR! Just about every Azelf out there has the typical set of Taunt/SR/Explosion/Filler, and pretty much each one has a Sash. Taking this in mind, I reckon that Metagross can take it on. I lack Bullet Punch, of course, but this is a ScarfGross, one which I believe can outrun and screw this pixie over.

Azelf used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 99% of its health.
Metagross used Trick.
Metagross obtained Focus Sash!
Azelf obtained Choice Scarf!

Let's think for a second there. My Metagross never outrun Azelf and locked it into Taunt, and with a standard 4/0/0 defense spread, was no different from the norm. In this sense, Fire Blast would have OHKOed meta 56% of the time. As it were, the remaining 44% saved him as I survived with just 4 HP, and the guarantee that the pixie is running + Speed to outrun his hulking 358 speed. Thankfully, the thing is stuck in Fire Blast, and Metagross has a completely useless Focus Sash that could have helped him survive a hit he lived through if he had tricked first. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.
On the other hand, he's begging to die in front of s very fast Azelf, so there's just one thing to do...

---

fishyfool: Gawd, wasn't that useful now?

fishyfool switched in Tentacruel (lvl 100 Tentacruel ?).
Azelf used Fire Blast.
It's not very effective...
Tentacruel lost 16% of its health.

...which is to run away and let my bulky jellyfish Tentacruel take lol damage from Fire Blast. Running enough speed to outrun neutral base 100ers, thanks to a Jolly Nature, Tenta laughs off Azelf's mighty firepower and threatens to 2HKO with STAB Surf, or 3HKO if it's running Hasty. Nevertheless, I opt to set up on his candy ass...

---

Tony32: hmm

Tony32 switched in HUSSIENBOLT (lvl 100 Slowking ?).
Tentacruel used Toxic Spikes.
Spikes were scattered everywhere!
Toxic Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!

...and as Slowking comes in, Toxic Spikes go down, instantly dooming any sashers he has as well as stopping a Shedinja sweep from happening, but now he's brought in someone you don't see everyday: Slowking.

---

Tentacruel used Toxic Spikes.
Toxic Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
Slowking used Thunder Wave.
Tentacruel is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

Fishy is unamused as his Tentacruel's crazy 300 speed is cut to a puny 75, and that Tenta is good for nothing but soaking special hits. However, Slowking isn't killing him anytime soon, which leaves me a few options: I could stay in and Haze away any precious boosts, risking a painful Psychic, or I could eliminate this threat before it begins.

---

fishyfool switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Slowking used Calm Mind.
Slowking's special attack was raised.
Slowking's special defence was raised.

I opt to stop Slowking before he gets too cocky, and true to the word, see a natural CM in my face. However, Slowking is still slower, and without that Scarf and with just 4 HP eft, Meta's only got one predictable thing to do...

---

Metagross used Explosion.
Slowking: Oh...Dear...I'm...going...to...di-.
Tony32's Slowking was turned into a seaside souvenir.
fishyfool's Metagross failed to pull himself together.
(5-5) tie

...eliminate the threat before it swept my team. With Meta dead, I've lost my generic lead while his is still rather fresh, but Metagross done his job, and my earlier switch paid off. As it stands, I've no idea who'll come out, so I decide to play safe and send out my other physical sweeper.

---

Tony32 switched in Glisgirl (lvl 100 Gliscor ?).
fishyfool switched in Breloom (lvl 100 Breloom ?).

Breloom versis Gliscor is a natural sight that screams 'Run away, mushroom boy, big boy Gliscor's gonna wall and maul you!' and in most cases, this would be right. However, I'm sure that my mushroom can make a mess of him with a very unorthodox moveset. First things first: Shut Gliscor down.

Gliscor used Swords Dance.
Gliscor's attack was sharply raised.
Breloom used Spore.
Gliscor fell asleep!

Breloom without Spore is like Infernape without Close Combat: It isn't right. Typically, Breloom's shitty speed betrays him, but I run a pretty standard spread of Adamant for good reason. I'm not Focus Punching, as it's inevitable that it advertises a ghost switch, so I'll do the productive thing...

---
Gliscor is fast asleep!
Breloom used Swords Dance.
Breloom's attack was sharply raised.

...send my Attack stat from 394 to Garchomp level with his favourite move. SDLoom is underrated, but it's a shame I never got him poisoned, as I don't run a standard Toxic Orb user. However, I've got a Breloom with a +2 boost under his belt, but feel the greed and the need, as this certain Gliscor isn't dying to any +2 moves, save Ice Punch.

---

Gliscor is fast asleep!

Gliscor stays asleep as I get another boost in this typical filler round, though it's wise to know that the mushroom now has a scary +4 attack boost.

---

Gliscor woke up!
Gliscor used Swords Dance.
Gliscor's attack was sharply raised.

Gliscor wakes up as Breloom maximises his Attack, ready to sweep the enemy team with 1576 Attack and a hidden Life Orb boost taking it to +6 Medicham levels: A scary proposition.

---

Breloom used Mach Punch.
Gliscor lost 55% of its health.
Breloom lost 10% of its health.
Gliscor used Stone Edge.
Breloom lost 77% of its health.
Gliscor lost 10% of its health.

Surprise hits me as Gliscor decides to nix EQ, which with +4 Attack would have OHKOed, but instead uses a pointless Stone Edge, threatening to 2HKO me. Thankfully, I have the advantage of priority. SDMPLoom is underrated in tis ability, and the fact that he'll 2HKO the best Heracross counter is amazing. Needless to say, Breloom has the advantage against his flying scorpion nemesis.

---

Breloom used Mach Punch.
Gliscor lost 35% of its health.
Tony32's Gliscor lost his fangs.
(4-5) fishy
Breloom lost 10% of its health.

With just enough health to get one last hit in, Breloom's almost dead, but has wasted what I think is their only physical wall, and now I feel a lot more confident knowing that my last physical sweeper is going to die knowing nothing can stop him without massive damage.

---

Tony32 switched in Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
Breloom used Mach Punch.
A critical hit!
Azelf lost 100% of its health.
Tony32's Azelf had his head gem shoved through his skull.
(3-5) fishy
Breloom lost 3% of its health.
fishyfool's Breloom's soul belongs to the Life Orb.
(3-4) fishy

Unneeded crit was unneeded as the very same ScarfElf from turn one comes in and drops like a bug to the power of priority, crushing their rocks and saving me grief. However, a fresh start means that I've to play defensively, with me not knowing what they have. Tentacruel's crippled, so his entry is a no-no, so it's down to my other eccentric sponge.

---

Tony32 switched in MEnce (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
fishyfool switched in Cresselia (lvl 100 Cresselia ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Cresselia's attack!

Salamence! Out of the shadow of Garchomp comes the next scariest thing, and it's many moves. I can guess that he's either Mix or DD, but in both cases, it's best to try and stop him before he sweeps the rest of my team.

Salamence used Dragon Dance.
Salamence's attack was raised.
Salamence's speed was raised.
Cresselia used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!

Dual Screen Cressy is almost unheard of, but with bulkiness, she does work, and I rest easy knowing that I've 8 turns to kill Salamence in before he sweeps me. My Cressy runs a physically bulky set, designed for the physically inclined Platigame, and so will be taking a couple of knocks from this ugly dragon. I decide that keeping her out and chipping his health down would be best, and open fire!

---

Cresselia used Psychic.
Salamence lost 34% of its health.

Shit, I'm 3HKOing this guy, but maybe it's all I actually need, because right now his attack's classed under neutral thanks to the sheer fatness of Reflect.

---

Tony32: omg
Tony32: Dont tell me you dont have ice beam on cress
fishyfool: That would be telling.

I don't: Psychic's her only damaging move, the moveset being LS/Reflect/Psychic/Rest, but he doesn't know, and I decide to play mind games with him, tempting possible switches to take STABed hits. I pray he lacks a dark type, naturally, otherwise I'm in deep shit, especially if it's Tyranitar.

Cresselia used Psychic.
Salamence lost 35% of its health.

Another hit will kill him, but I'm a little worried: Even though I have 5 rounds of Reflect left, he's now effectively +1, and if he has Brick Break, the screen breaks and he gets shot down with Psychic. If he doesn't, and has Draco Meteor, CRessy will more than likely almost die, but such is fate that I punch in Psychic and order.

---

Salamence used Outrage.
Salamence went on a rampage!
Cresselia lost 50% of its health.
Cresselia used Psychic.
Salamence lost 34% of its health.

Oh snap! Once again, Lefties save his ass as STABed Outrage rips half of Cresselia's health off, and I suddenly realise that I could lose this. Gulping, I try and Rest, hoping I scrape by with a bit of luck...

---

Tony32: God cress is so bulky
Salamence used Outrage.
Cresselia lost 50% of its health.
fishyfool's Cresselia was stuffed and roasted with Sage and Onion.
(3-3) tie
Salamence's rampage ended.
Salamence became confused!

I'm worried now: I've lost my main sponge, and now I run the risk of Salamence running through my team. I can only hope for some confusion hax as I consider things: He's likely running DD/Outrage/EQ/Fire Blast or Fire Fang, and outruns my whole team with what is basically a pseudo Gyarados. I choose a sacrifice hoping to survive the smashing and finish the fight...

---

fishyfool switched in Rotom-c (lvl 100 Rotom-c).

This thing looks so funny, and yet Cut Rotom is pretty neat, annihilating Swampert with Leaf Storm, hence my choice for it over Heat Rotom. Running a specially bulky set, I wonder if it can survive Outrage as I prepare to smite him with HP Ice, which I actually didn't have: This could be hazardous...

Salamence is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
Salamence lost 21% of its health.
Tony32's Salamence cut his throat instead of the grass .
(2-3) fishy
Rotom-c used Hidden Power.
But there was no target!

...and sweatdrop as the 50% chance of him hitting itself comes in, wasting my PP liberally. I thank the gods before waiting for the next guy to pop out.

---

Tony32 switched in Gengar (lvl 100 Gengar ?).

I always have a slight fear of Gengar, and no surprises; Platinum brought him Trick, and ScarfGar is disgustingly common it hurts. However, I don't want it running through me as I opt to pop the ghost in the boiggest weak spot it has...

Gengar used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
Rotom-c lost 75% of its health.
Rotom-c used Thunder Wave.
Gengar is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

Oh, I love my Calm Rotom who can take Shadow Balls from the best special sweeping ghost and cripple it back with paralysis. Naturally, in idiocy, I neglect my own usage of Shadow Ball, running a double status Rotom with WoW and TWave. Nothing better to do but to run to someone who sucks up special hits...

---

fishyfool switched in Tentacruel (lvl 100 Tentacruel ?).
Gengar used Shadow Ball.
Tentacruel lost 33% of its health.

...and is equally paralyzed. Tentacruel can likely kill Gengar with a Surf or two, while I suddenly remember that the ghost can use Thunderbolt, but it's too late as I pray that he doesn't do anything nasty...

---

fishyfool: Rotom is too.
Gengar used Explosion.
Tentacruel: Oh shi-
Tentacruel lost 49% of its health.
Tony32's Gengar blasted into a hoover.
(1-3) fishy
Tentacruel used Surf.
But there was no target!
Tentacruel's reflect wore off!

Thank the gods for that Reflect! With this done, the advantage is clearly mine: I've got a late game sweeper, a fucked Tentacruel who is good for nowt but LO drain and a Rotom capable of screwing with the enemy. Time to end this with his last pokemon...

---

Tony32: So is cruel

I can only say that you've given me a good match so far...

Tony32 switched in Sacret (lvl 100 Metagross).

...Snap. Metagross comes in, ready to smash Tenta to pieces, and threaten the rest of the team. I've still the speed advantage with Rotom and the last guy, but.

fishyfool: Double Scrrening Cressy is a pain to kill.
Metagross used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Tentacruel lost 30% of its health.
fishyfool's Tentacruel was rendered into calamari.
(1-2) fishy

I give a chortle as I remember who has the type and speed advantage against Metagross, but don't know if he's Scarfed or what, since Tenta's slow as shit anyways.

---

fishyfool switched in Blaziken (lvl 100 Blaziken ?).

Yes, Blaziken has has a few boosts thanks to Platinum, such as needed priority, Superpower and a rather awesome point of being much cooler than Infernape. Burn that fucka!

Blaziken used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 84% of its health.
Blaziken lost 10% of its health.
Metagross used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Blaziken lost 90% of its health.
fishyfool's Blaziken wandered into a slaughterhouse and came out plucked wth a cellophane coat.
(1-1) tie

Bastards! I knew I should have went with Fire Blast, but it's too late for that. Blaziken's dead and the battle is much more tense as my haunted lawnmower faces up to the might of an almost dead metal crab. I have WoW, however, to cripple him and win, so long as I don't miss...

---
Tony32: well yea

fishyfool switched in Rotom-c (lvl 100 Rotom-c).
Rotom-c used Will-o-wisp.
Rotom-c's attack missed!
Metagross used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Rotom-c lost 28% of its health.

...but my hax previously bites me back as I do so and find myself scraping by with a mere 10% of my health left. It's all down to the wire. Still thinking Rotom has HP Ice to kill dragons, I choose to try and destroy Metagross with base 140 Leaf Storm. The result?

---

Tony32: g
Tony32: gg
Rotom-c used Leaf Storm.

I can't say this hasn't been epic...

Metagross lost 14% of its health.

Rotom-c's special attack was harshly lowered.

Metagross used Pursuit.

...Vagina.

It's super effective!
Rotom-c lost 10% of its health.
fishyfool's Rotom-c chewed out on a random rock.
(1-0) tony32
Tony32 wins!
Tony32: Epic
fishyfool: Yeah, very close.
Tony32: I didnt know i was gonna win
Tony32 has left the room.
fishyfool: Could have gone either way.

---

As it were after the battle, I checked and saw that Rotom had HP Fire, to my eternal face palming, and threw away. Still, epic game that came down to the wire with a roughly equal bit of hax on both sides, especially considering giant robotic quadrupeds surviving hits.

Props:
~Metagross for surviving Azelf's Fire Blast with a few HP left.
~Cresselia for saving my ass with Reflect, even after death.
~Breloom for stopping Gliscor and Azelf.
~Tony's Metagross for the suspenseful ending.
~Tony for the great match

Slops:
~Tentacruel getting paralyzed and screwing him against Metagross.
~The hax with Salamence and everyone else.
~Blaziken for not fucking wasting Metagross.
~Forgetting Rotom had HP Fire -_-'
My team:

tony's team:

This log was formatted using Warmachine Version 1.0

Really nice. I agree with reachzero, though, and suggest a bigger font. Also, if you have the time to calculate end-of-turn HP percentages, that would at the least make the end more suspenseful, if not better on the whole: if Metagross was within range of any Rotom-C Leaf Storm, the reader would be even more on tenterhooks.
On a positive note, the *Pokémon fainted* variations were awesome. They were significantly better than some attempts by others recently. Yours actually fit the situation and Pokémon and made sense.

Nice warstory and good suspence. Just a quick note: since Gliscor is faster than Breloom you should have spammed spore after 3 rounds of sleep so you can put it back to sleep after suffering minimal damage from +2 EQ. It's still nice to see Breloom beating Gliscor one-on-one with base 40 NVE moves though.

Thanks for the comments, I've beefed up said font size, and Rotom's HP has been mentioned as Slops.

I opted to simply maximise Breloom's Attack simply because he essentially would run like Scizor with all that attack. If he had been poisoned, then the match would have went into a generic sweep, and I just felt that Sporing Gliscor would be a bit silly as my opponent would realise it and switch someone in to abuse Sleep Clause.

Great warstory and nice ending. maybe a tip for next time to type your team in word or something ;) that way you will remember hp fire on rotom.

I thought it was rather peculiar that cresselia died to two hits that does 50% both, because you mentioned it had leftovers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)