flygon or garchomp?

one of my favorite pokemon is flygon, but with the new ground/dragon in town, should i really keep using it? what about flygon would be better?

IMO Flygon is still a nice sweeper in D/P. It just suffers having a same typing pokemon that completely surpasses it (just like Uxie and Cresselia).

This doesn't mean that you can't use it, altough you have to abuse the differneces to make it worthwile.
It has new toys to play with this gen, such as Roost and U-turn (Garchomp can't learn them). Unfortunately, being 4x weak to ice is not a nice thing this gen with all those Ice attacks in every team...

To say Garchomp "outclasses" Flygon is a bit of a misunderstanding of the term "outclessing". Flygon has options that Garchomp doesn't have. For Out and out Physical Attackers, Flygon has U-Turn allowing Flygon To Flee against things it does not want to stay in against, while still doing damage to slower foes (Hi Ice Beam Claydol I am looking your way) whereas Garchomp Does not. Another thing that could be tried with Flygon is some sort of Substitute and Flail Setup as Flygon obviously takes no Sandstorm damage, you could potentially get great results out of using Flail to attack opponents... (I honestly don't know how well this would work tho)

Arguably Flygon can be used a bit more defensively than Garchomp if you like as you have Roost Available to Flygon... Although Garchomp's HP and Defenses are overall better, but it has no recovery move other than Rest(I think).

Flygon is not "completely" outclassed, but if you just plan on pounding the opponent with Physical Attacks, than Garchomp is the way you want to go. If you want something that requires a bit more strategy to use, but gives you the benefits of ground immunity and perhaps recovering HP, then Flygon fits your style well.

Bottom line, if you want to use Flygon there is no reason why you shouldn't use Flygon, just keep in mind, that if you set it up certain ways Garchomp could do the same thing it could, and you are probably better off using Garchomp. Up to you.

hmmmm.... so wouldent U-turn just make up for the HP (bug) lost when they made it into a special? what other pokemon than Garchomp would outclass it, i really like flygon, but i guess if it is not going to be as helpful.... If i do use flygon would this build work in 4th gen?

Flygon
208 HP / 252 ATK / 32 Spd / 16 Def
Adamant nature
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-U-turn
-Rock Slide
@ Choice Band

I still think garchomp is better. 2 more base speed can kill you, and garchomp has 30 more base attack. Also, be careful with U-turn as a HP bug substitute, as it will switch you out, and if you don't have a proper counter... I also think you should go jolly.

I've always considered Flygon to be more defensive than Garchomp.

It's typing kinda messes it up though, as it has the same 4x weakness as some of the biggest metagame threats (Garchomp, Salamence, and to a lesser extent, Gliscor and Dragonite. Salamence and some Garchomp also have dragon moves to beat other dragons, including Flygon), but with less power to make the most out of its time alive. It's good, but there are better options.

Violent Storm: For Flailing, Lucario is better. It gets Reversal which gets STAB, and also isn't hurt by Sandstorm (like Flygon), and has good speed to do that with.

The biggest things Flygon has over Garchomp are Roost and a Ground immunity. Both of those are significant enough to be assured that it isn't entirely outclassed by Garchomp, but obviously Garchomp has better sweeping potential (and arguably better Choice Item potential).

Roost helps Flygon pull off a Life Orb Mixed sweeper set very nicely and Screech-Gon with Spikes and Stealth Rock support has potential.

Flygon and Garchomp are used differently. But I prefer Garchomp, he has only one severe weakness and that is to Ice. But if you teach him Fire Blast, he can take on Skarmory. Also, being a fast dragon, he can seriously hurt other dragons; but it would be better if he could dance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)