Flygon

Dragon/Ground
Stats: 80/100/80/80/80/100

Flygon is one of the several dragons left to UU, outshined mainly by Garchomp in OU, who is better in pretty much every way. However, in UU Flygon can once again shine like it's late Gen IV again. Great Dragon/Ground typing set Flygon apart from the pack of dragons in UU, giving it a great offensive combination of STABs (unresisted in UU). Immunity to both types of Spikes and resistance to Stealth Rock and decent defensive stats and typing give Flygon some staying power, especially with Roost added to the equation.

Possible Sets:

Flygon@ Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly
4 Hp/ 252 Atk/252 Spe
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-U-turn
-Stone Edge

Standard Flygon set that let it shine as a scout and revenge killer. Jolly is less necessary than it was in OU because of a much less populated speed tier. Choice Band lets Flygon hit quite hard with such great STABs.

Flygon@Life Orb
Jolly
4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-U-turn/Hone Claws
-Roost/ Stone Edge

Physical Life Orb works very well because of Flygon's great coverage in UU, as well as Roost to recover lost health. Hone Claws is Flygon's only boosting move, and can be used pretty well Flygon's speed, but isn't completely necessary to get Flygon to sweep.

Flygon@ Life Orb
Hasty
80 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 176 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Outrage
-Earthquake/Roost

Mixed Flygon. Draco Meteor hits hard even off of Flygon's 80 SpA, and Fire Blast clears physically defensive Steels and one's using Air Balloon, as well as Chlorophyl sweepers.

Post away!

What exactly do that mixed flygon evs do exactly?

Also maybe substitute, I could see a lot of choiced attackers getting locked into ground and electric moves, its a chance to get up a free sub.

What exactly do that mixed flygon evs do exactly?

Also maybe substitute, I could see a lot of choiced attackers getting locked into ground and electric moves, its a chance to get up a free sub.
Or even just being forced out by the risk of that dual STAB. CS Flygon will continue to be the best set, I'll hazard. Just so solid.

SubRoost deserves mention, IMO. All the UU steels are grounded, meaning that Toxic / Roost / Earthquake / Substitute is a potentially devastating set.

ScreechGon deserve a mention (taken from Gen IV analysis):
-Screech
-U-turn/Substitute
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw/Stone Edge
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Mainly, this Flygon is designed to force switches or hit foes hard with -2 (or -4 or -6 if you're lucky) Defense.

SubRoost deserves mention, IMO. All the UU steels are grounded, meaning that Toxic / Roost / Earthquake / Substitute is a potentially devastating set.
Great set, better than Moltres imo because of no stealth rock weak. Do you think offensive or defensive EVs are better?
ScreechGon deserve a mention (taken from Gen IV analysis):
-Screech
-U-turn/Substitute
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw/Stone Edge
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Mainly, this Flygon is designed to force switches or hit foes hard with -2 (or -4 or -6 if you're lucky) Defense.
I think that now that Flygon has an actual boosting move, Screech is less worth it. And it was never used much last gen for a reason.
If you can get rid of any balloons first, yes...
What actually uses balloon often? And you can still toxic-stall ballooners.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
How good is mixed Flygon? I mean, CS Flygon's Outrages are already depressingly weak. It seems like all that mixed flygon does is hit equally weak but from both sides of the spectrum.
And the only thing Flygon has over Zapdos for ToxicStalling is a rock resistance and an electric immunity. Meanwhile, Zapdos is much more bulky and is only 2x weak to ice.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great set, better than Moltres imo because of no stealth rock weak. Do you think offensive or defensive EVs are better?
SubRoost Flygon is NOT better than Moltres. Pressure goes a massive way.

Mixed Flygon is decent because of LO giving it an acceptable power boost. It isn't going to muscle through anything stupid like Chansey any time soon short of a sub+toxic set, but it honestly has a lot going for it in UU.

I used this set to some degree of success during the late-DP:

Flygon (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Fire Blast

If Chansey goes, then I think it will have some merit in UU, as it has a great surprise value. 252/252 Bold Slowbro eats a massive 71.6% - 84.5% from Draco Meteor, which means it has to either switch out or die. Careful Registeel takes 56% - 66.5% from EQ, while the Impish one cannot take two consecutive Fire Blasts. I don't know what Deo-D currently runs, but a Bold max HP/max Speed spread takes 51.3% - 60.5% from DM, and 29.9% - 35.5% from EQ, which might KO after some prior damage. More defensive spreads probably beat it though. Bold Suicune takes 52% - 61.1% from DM, and 23.8% - 28.2% from the following EQ, which is not bad, considering you had just forced it to Rest.

Yea Mixgon is great. Works well with spikes so it can eek out one-two KO's on bulky waters like Cune and it also causes extra switching anyway by forcing out would be counters.

I think I might actually use Flygon. It's the only Dragon type I would be okay with using without feeling like I was using a Cookie-cutter standard Poke due to its modest BST (by Dragon standards anyway).

Anyway, I was thinking of using a Mixed set consisting of Outrage/Draco Meteor/ EQ/ U Turn. Looking forward to battering things with Draco Meteor and then U Turning out with a still intact Atk stat.

screechgon is still a beast if sent out against the right pokes, get that sub up against chansey, screech, hit the switch in hard, (or chansey if it stays in), i actually swept with it today mid-game

Just theorymoning here, but could defog on a "bulky" build be a possibility? It's an alternative to rapid spin that is blocked by taunt rather than ghosts. Considering that Flygon is something that you ordinarily would not taunt, I could see it working similarly to Claydol (both of whom levitate and resist stealth rock), only with worse defenses, but better typing and access to instant recovery. Perhaps throw on toxic and U-turn for an easy way out should you happen to get taunted...

Just theorymoning here, but could defog on a "bulky" build be a possibility? It's an alternative to rapid spin that is blocked by taunt rather than ghosts. Considering that Flygon is something that you ordinarily would not taunt, I could see it working similarly to Claydol (both of whom levitate and resist stealth rock), only with worse defenses, but better typing and access to instant recovery. Perhaps throw on toxic and U-turn for an easy way out should you happen to get taunted...
Combined with d-tail for phazinging? thats a sweet set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)