Defog
Steel Wing
Dragon Tail
U-Turn
Crunch
Power-Up Punch
Superpower
General Analysis
Poor, poor Flygon. Game Freak has not been kind to him since the generation he was introduced in. Flygon is just a case of a good pokemon that is just simply outclassed. That is, in the traditional sense. Flygon is, yes, inferior to Garchomp, and, one-on-one, does not stand a chance; HOWEVER, Flygon has a few things none of the other dragons can boast. While Hydreigon is stronger and has access to U-Turn as well, it is also slower, and thus cannot perform as a scout (which it shouldn't anyway), whereas Flygon can. Flygon also got a neat little gift this generation in Superpower Access to U-Turn and good speed also means it is the only dragon capable of performing well in a Volt-Turn combo with Rotom-W, and access to Levitate makes him a very good partner for Mega Mawile, with both of them completely covering each other's weaknesses. In fact, all three of those have good synergy, and a Rotom-W + Mega Mawile + Flygon core is actually quite potent when used correctly. Flygon has, unfortunatly, few plausible sets, and here they are:

Choice Band
Flygon @ Choice Band
Nature: Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Rock Slide/Superpower
U-Turn

This is the set I prefer. With a choice band, Flygon hits stupidly hard. Outrage is preferred if you need the added oomph, while Dragon Claw is clearly the more reliable option, and still packs a decent punch. Rock Slide is preferred if Talonflame is a problem to your team, whereas Superpower allows you to slaughter Tyranitar and Air Balloon Heatran without a problem.

Choice Scarf
Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Adamant
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Rock Slide/Superpower
U-Turn

Same moveset as before, but this variant allows you to outspeed unscarfed Garchomp and Salamence. This set focuses more on scouting, and U-Turn is the most important move here. You could run stone edge for more power if you wanted, but it really isn't necessary, as Rock Slide OHKOs Mega Charizard Y. The rest is self-explanatory.

And there you have it. Is Flygon the BEST dragon? No. But it does have a niche in OU (especially with the introduction of Superpower), and when not used as a weaker Garchomp, Flygon will seldom let you down.

Last edited:
While I do think Flygon is outclassed in OU, and I do think it has it's niche in it as well, I think its niche is in being a defogger with its fairly unique typing, decent attacking options (+U-turn), and resistance to SR/immunity to spikes. Defog should be slashed or better yet given a spot for itself in every relevant set.

Flygon also got a neat little gift this generation that none of the other draconic powerhouses can claim: Superpower. This means that Flygon is the only Un-Banded dragon capable of guaranteeing a OHKO on Mega Tyranitar (not even Mega Garchomp's STAB Earthquake can claim that).​

Hydra also gets superpower. Also, why wouldn't hydra be able to function as a scout? It learns u-turn, and it scarf very well. You should probably slash defog in somewhere, because it is pretty much the only thing flygon got over garchomp.

Hydra also gets superpower. Also, why wouldn't hydra be able to function as a scout? It learns u-turn, and it scarf very well. You should probably slash defog in somewhere, because it is pretty much the only thing flygon got over garchomp.
Done. The thing is though, it's outclassed as a Defogger by Latios. And yes, Scarfed Hydreigon can be an effective U-Turner... why use him as one? Hydreigon is best put to use in other areas.

Edit: Fixed the part about Superpower.

Last edited:
Done. The thing is though, it's outclassed as a Defogger by Latios. And yes, Scarfed Hydreigon can be an effective U-Turner... why use him as one? Hydreigon is best put to use in other areas.
Why use flygon at all? It's outclassed by every OU dragon. Even uu noivern outclasses it completely as a "scout" and scouting isn't really a niche to make anything viable in OU. Team preview is your scouting.

Last edited:

Name: Flygon; "Mystic Pokemon"
Type: Ground/Dragon
Ability: Levitate
Base Stats: 80/100/80/80/80/100
Notable Moves
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Outrage
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Roost
Steel Wing
Dragon Tail
U-Turn
Crunch
Power-Up Punch
Superpower
General Analysis
Poor, poor Flygon. Game Freak has not been kind to him since the generation he was introduced in. Flygon is just a case of a good pokemon that is just simply outclassed. That is, in the traditional sense. Flygon is, yes, inferior to Garchomp, and, one-on-one, does not stand a chance; HOWEVER, Flygon has a few things none of the other dragons can boast. While Hydreigon is stronger and has access to U-Turn as well, it is also slower, and thus cannot perform as a scout (which it shouldn't anyway), whereas Flygon can. Flygon also got a neat little gift this generation that none of the other draconic powerhouses can claim: Superpower. This means that Flygon is the only Un-Banded dragon capable of guaranteeing a OHKO on Mega Tyranitar (not even Mega Garchomp's STAB Earthquake can claim that). Access to U-Turn and good speed also means it is the only dragon capable of performing well in a Volt-Turn combo with Rotom-W, and access to Levitate makes him a very good partner for Mega Mawile, with both of them completely covering each other's weaknesses. In fact, all three of those have good synergy, and a Rotom-W + Mega Mawile + Flygon core is actually quite potent when used correctly. Flygon has, unfortunatly, few plausible sets, and here they are:

Choice Band
Flygon @ Choice Band
Nature: Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Rock Slide/Superpower
U-Turn

This is the set I prefer. With a choice band, Flygon hits stupidly hard. Outrage is preferred if you need the added oomph, while Dragon Claw is clearly the more reliable option, and still packs a decent punch. Rock Slide is preferred if Talonflame is a problem to your team, whereas Superpower allows you to slaughter Tyranitar and Air Balloon Heatran without a problem.

Choice Scarf
Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Adamant
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Rock Slide/Superpower
U-Turn

Same moveset as before, but this variant allows you to outspeed unscarfed Garchomp and Salamence. This set focuses more on scouting, and U-Turn is the most important move here. You could run stone edge for more power if you wanted, but it really isn't necessary, as Rock Slide OHKOs Mega Charizard Y. The rest is self-explanatory.

And there you have it. Is Flygon the BEST dragon? No. But it does have a niche in OU (especially with the introduction of Superpower), and when not used as a weaker Garchomp, Flygon will seldom let you down.
Why use flygon at all? It's outclassed by every OU dragon. Even uu noivern outclasses it completely as a "scout" and scouting isn't really a niche to make it viable in OU
Why use flygon at all? It's outclassed by every OU dragon. Even uu noivern outclasses it completely as a "scout" and scouting isn't really a niche to make it viable in OU
Noivern is Special, Flygon Physical. It depends on your team. They have different typing, and different coverage. Flygon makes a much better teammate for Mega Mawile than Novern. I'm not saying it's good by itself, I'm saying it can function well in OU when used properly.

Noivern is Special, Flygon Physical. It depends on your team. They have different typing, and different coverage. Flygon makes a much better teammate for Mega Mawile than Novern. I'm not saying it's good by itself, I'm saying it can function well in OU when used properly.
When I say scouting I refer to the sets. I am aware of the existence of team preview.

Actually, forget scouting. It works well with Rotom-W.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I honestly think its only niche is as a defogger. It's immune to spikes, sticky web, and toxic spikes, and resistant to stealth rocks, thereby making it tied for the most hazard resistant hazard remover. It can roost and use dragon tail, adding to its utility, as well as have an offensive presence with Earthquake.

As far as its offensive sets, I think they're all outclassed by Garchomp + Hydreigon. Yes, it has uturn to differentiate it from Garchomp, but it is so much weaker, has poorer defenses, poorer speed, and less special attack. Hydreigon also has Uturn, and even has more attack than flygon.

It does have an odd niche... Zard-Y counter + defogger.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Flygon: 127-150 (34.8 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Has access to roost, stone edge, defog... I mean, there's something there, but this is about as much a niche as you can create for it. It kinda hits like a wet paper towel regardless of how you spin it.

Ground immunity only adds to its already absurd opportunities to switch in on predicted EQs and defog or heal back up

It does have an odd niche... Zard-Y counter + defogger.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Flygon: 127-150 (34.8 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Has access to roost, stone edge, defog... I mean, there's something there, but this is about as much a niche as you can create for it. It kinda hits like a wet paper towel regardless of how you spin it.
Unless it runs Dragon Pulse, which 2HKOes and isn't terribly uncommon.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry guys, but this is one of those Pokemon that just doesn't make the OU cut for a thread here. If another Mod thinks otherwise feel free to unlock, but I think there's just not a whole lot to discuss here.

Too bad... Flygon was one of my absolute favorites in DPP, but XY is just too much for the lil' guy. Defog around and Spikes being less useful than ever only makes the case to use this instead of Garchomp even worse. :<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)