http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-68734502

Lapras@Weakness Policy
Water Absorb
Calm 122 HP / 216 Df / 126 SpA / 44 SpD
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Freeze Dry
~ Surf

Wanted to show an example of the updated set I tried out and how it can work in action. Only in the replay I'm using Hydration and not Water Absorb (I had Rain support but it wasn't coming in useful yet). Rotom-W is the ultimate lure for this. Pair this with an Excadrill who can Rapid Spin rocks away, which hamper your bulkiness. But you'll either switch into a WoW or Hydro Pump, which does nothing or you absorb. Now comes the likely Volt Change/Thunderbolt. You'll take a pittance in damage and depending on your HP you should probably Rest, if not spam Freeze Dry. It's really hard to 2HKO unboosted, and most things that are a threat get taken out badly by Freeze Dry and Surf. As you can see, +2 STAB Freeze Dry hurts. I think with some retooled team mates it could perform more reliably.

It didn't occur to me that this move hit those annoying water/ground types for 4X damage. Saves you from running an otherwise useless grass move I guess.

the problem isnt base power though, itz the horrible distribution....
especially since the best user of it was an NU poke last gen.

articuno got nothing new, so it has to run nonstab water pulse and a hiddenpower if it wants to cover up for its lackluster spatk..then again lapras can do it better
itryhard@wp
192hp, 252def, 64 spa, bold
freezedry
water pulse
rest
sleep talk

Im happy Lapras got it and i love using Jaroda's its great! I just wish Lapras was faster or have special boosting moves to abuse it without Weakness Policy.

With that said I don't believe there are so many offense special Ive types in most tiers but even if Kyurem got Freeze Dry that'd be deadly

Not really, Mamoswine is probably the best user, as it can 2HKO its main counter, Rotom-W with it.
Mamoswine's SpA is way too low to actually do anything with freeze dry, and it can 2HKO neither defensive nor specially defensive Rotom-W (don't know where you got that from).

0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Rotom-W: 80-96 (26.4 - 31.6%) -- 18.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 108-128 (35.6 - 42.2%) -- 87.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And to even get these calcs you're forced to run either lower your Def or SpD, something Mamoswine can't afford to due with its mediocre speed.

Mamoswine's SpA is way too low to actually do anything with freeze dry, and it can 2HKO neither defensive nor specially defensive Rotom-W (don't know where you got that from).

0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Rotom-W: 80-96 (26.4 - 31.6%) -- 18.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 108-128 (35.6 - 42.2%) -- 87.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And to even get these calcs you're forced to run either lower your Def or SpD, something Mamoswine can't afford to due with its mediocre speed.
Life orb.

4 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 140-166 (46.2 - 54.7%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Obviously you aren't gonna do as well against SpD Rotom-W, and obviously there is a trade-off for running it between the moveslot and nature. Still, it is an effective lure for the most common set of a very common poke.

Life orb.

4 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 140-166 (46.2 - 54.7%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Obviously you aren't gonna do as well against SpD Rotom-W, and obviously there is a trade-off for running it between the moveslot and nature. Still, it is an effective lure for the most common set of a very common poke.
Yeah I forgot the life orb, my bad.

What about Water Absorb Lapras @Assault Vest 252HP, 252SpAtk, 4SpDef. Freeze Dry - Dragon Pulse - Hydro Pump - Signal Beam/Psychic.

It can take many special hits and hit back with a decent coverage.

What about Water Absorb Lapras @Assault Vest 252HP, 252SpAtk, 4SpDef. Freeze Dry - Dragon Pulse - Hydro Pump - Signal Beam/Psychic.

It can take many special hits and hit back with a decent coverage.
Why the hell would you have Freeze Dry and Dragon Pulse on the same set ? Freeze Dry already hits dragons for SE damage while also having the plus of being STAB, I would rather have thunderbolt over it anyday.

Why the hell would you have Freeze Dry and Dragon Pulse on the same set ? Freeze Dry already hits dragons for SE damage while also having the plus of being STAB, I would rather have thunderbolt over it anyday.
You're right, but Thunderbolt has no extra coverage over Freeze Dry. Both Dragon Pulse and Thunderbolt are useless to be honest.

Thunderbolt hits random flying types that are somehow not covered by Freeze Dry / Water (Skarmory is one example of this). Also it's basically more reliable than Hydro Pump.

although tbh i'd rather just run ice beam lmao

This move has the potential to be broken next generation if the right pokemon gets this move. This move is A+, users of this move can't are either too slow, too fragile or have too small of a satk.

Imagine Jynx or Rotom somehow getting this as an egg move.

Except Rotom is genderless, so he can't inherit egg moves, unfortunately. But who knows, it could be a tutor move in the future.
Brain fart. I was thinking along the lines of more Pokemons learning this move via egg moves. We'll see if Gamefreak decides to make this an egg move for non-ice type moves. All ice Pokemons with high SATK pretty much suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)