Freeze!

Team Inspiration-
Well where to start. My OU experience started with a sand storm trick room team which was very effective but once getting bored of it looked for inspiration and ideas for future teams and that is when I started to focus on the idea of Stall. Now I had a basis for my stall team, sand, which has a number of benefits however it has one main draw-back, the residual damage although helpful doesn’t help me half the time with all rock, ground and steel types in OU now-a-days. I then looked to rain, however in my opinion it is over prepared for by most players. I then looked to sun but quickly dismissed it and weatherless seems pointless when I could simply use Abomasnow.

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain

I have replaced expert belt Abomasnow for a special defensive variant. Now this is for a number of reasons, number one leech seed, which except for in perfect accuracy comes in handy so much, again except for accuracy it is such an OP move its crazy. Substitute is to scout and blizzard is to nail anything weak to it I have even managed a three KO on some ferrothorn! Which isn't to difficult with all things considered, they normally expect the switch in which I set up sub then blizzard spam whilst they break my sub. And giga drain is sap even more health from pokemon, the special variant allows me to fully counter any bulky water pokemon.

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Pain Split
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Ok. After alot of experimenting with spinners in my hail team I have come the conclusion that there are no decent spinners. The only reason why I am against using forretress is that he has no offensive power what so ever and the type overlap with other Pokemon which means a lot of pressure on heatran, despite this however he has semi reliable recovery in pain split which in some cases works as an attack, he can grab momentum with volt switch, cripple bulky pokemon with toxic and most importantly has rapid spin and is immune to hail thanks to overcoat.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar

Now this spot used to be for blissey, however I was using her the wrong way, I had a set consisting of wish, protect, heal bell and stealth rocks, needless to say it wasn’t effective and I lost a lot of momentum, now I have heatran, he is my stealth rocker, phaser, special wall and switch in to fire and poison moves. All of which he can achieve easily, lava plume is to induce status which then racks up with hail damage, protect to scout and roar to phase. Although I am thinking of using Chandelure, despite not having the same defences it is a spin blocker....

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird

All decent stall teams need spikes, and in almost all teams I use I tend to always this bird of doom. It is just so easy to set up spikes with skarmory its unreal and it has huge advantages over the other setters, including reliable healing, whirlwind and semi-offensive presence in the form of brave bird, I really cannot think of an advantage with the other spikers other then forre which can spin. Not much else to say really all very standard and is always a pain to take down.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
- Roost
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Now I know what you may be thinking, skarmory and glisocr? But with the abundance of physical attackers in OU at the moment you can never be too careful and they serve different roles, skarmory is to spike stack where as thanks to scarfwynaut's suggestion gliscor is to switch in fighting types and generally be a fairly decent check to a variety of physcial pokemon and with roost and poison heal he can easily achieve this without taking much damage. Ice fang has proven very useful and taunt aswell it very useful aswell as to make sure gliscor is not set up bait for other hazard setters.

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SDef / 20 Spd
- Spore
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Focus Punch

Now for my last member, this is another pokemon which I always seem to put onto my teams, the reason for breloom is two-fold, toxic orb and poison heal for status absorption, and stall as well. The reason for the status absorption is because I have no pokemon with heal bell, this then makes my team susceptible to status but with two poison heal pokemon this shouldn’t be a problem, and with the combination of sub+seed and hail the opponent will be taking large damage each turn, also leech seed has another benefit, as I now have no wish passer leech seed is the next best thing in my opinion and passing leech seed to heatran is very helpful to increase his longevity. I have recently transferred the defence EV's to special defence. Now I know he has a subpar special defence however he has the typing to pull it of somewhat and leech seed only adds to the longevity. Now the reason why, it is twofold, to switch into focus blasts which my other special walls cannot do and with a few defensive juggernauts the defensive spread wasn't needed and also a back up switch in to water Pokemon if I cannot switch in Abomasnow for any reason. It also helps somewhat with my newfound magnezone weakness.

http://www.marriland.com/tools/team-builder#1112|725|1137|1124|879|938|

The given link should show you the synergy between the members and that every type is resisted at least once, and that most types have two resistances, not including the immunities aswell

Threats:

Im not to good at identifying threats however having no spin blocker is a problem, so starmie, tentacruel and donphan are problems.

Hey, interesting hail stall team here.

First off, I don't think think that Abomasnow set is really the best choice for a hail stall team, especially with expert belt as it's extremely liable to die from hazards and any other damage because it sticks. On a hail stall team you really don't want to be losing Abomasnow to easily. You may want to consider a set more like this:

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain

I would also highly suggest you use Rain Dish on Tentacruel instead of Liquid Ooze, as having that edge against rain teams is really useful, you have better ways of dealing with Conkeldurr and Ferrothorn to.

I don't think Protect Heatran is very effective in hail IMO, I would switch that over for another move, Toxic would help in stalling on this team, although Earth Power can be considered to hurt opposing Heatrans.

Also, I suggest Ice Fang over Substitute or Taunt on Gliscor, currently Salamence pretty much sweeps this team, bar Abomasnow checking, as it can break through Gliscor, effortlessly 2HKO Salamence with Fire Blast, and 1HKO Heatran with Earthquake. Also, you may want to consider Roost on Gliscor, as passively poison-healing isn't nearly as effective in hail.

Landorus is a pretty big threat to this team, 1HKOing pretty much everything, bar Skarmory who is easily 2HKOed, with the right move. Celebi used over Breloom is probably the easiest fix for this, but even then it's about a 50 / 50 shot that it will have U-turn. That's about as good as it gets though, unless you want to find a way to maybe incorporate Blissey back on this team. Celebi also helps you take on Starmie, Keldeo, Politoed, which currently look like a bit of a problem. For the Celebi set, I suggest the Specially Defensive one on site but with Giga Drain / Perish Song / Recover / Reflect or Baton Pass (to escape Pursuit or take it).

Calm Mind Latias may be something else to consider in Breloom's place as well, I suggest the set on site with Substitute.

good luck

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I got your VM. The thing that stands out to me immediately is your severe Keldeo weakness. Using Tentacruel would help you alleviate your Keldeo weakness. Sand offense/Balance teams are frequently very difficult to deal with for hail, so having toxic spikes support from Tentacruel is important since many of them lack a spinner (or use starmie for their spinner, who is dealt with pretty easily by abomasnow). Like ScarfWynaut says, your team is very weak to Landorus-I, and I think Latias would definitely be your best choice over Breloom, who currently looks like the weak link of your team. I disagree with his suggested set, though. Tyranitar is already problematic for hail, and having a pursuit weak Latias will help against Landorus itself, but your weakness to tyranitar would be greatly exacerbated. To deal with this, I think Reflect Type Latias would be a great fit for this team.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 156 SAtk / 252 Spd / 100 HP
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
- Reflect Type

This set allows you to switch in on Rotom, Celebi, Landorus, or Thundurus that might u-turn/volt-switch out to tyranitar without worrying about getting pursuited, since you can just Reflect Type against Tyranitar. The EV spread allows you to always 1hko Standard Scizor after SR damage, and the rest is put in speed and bulk. Good luck.

In it's current form, your team is a bit weak to Gengar, with Tentacruel gone. For this I would suggest you use Gyro Ball on Forretress to 2HKO it on the switch in, possibly over Toxic or Pain Split. With this, I suggest you use a Relaxed nature to increase Gyro Ball's power. Your team is also currentlya bit weak to Drag-Mag, and shed shell Skarmory is not an option since you are in the hail, if I were you I would toy around with Earthquake on Forretress to KO Magnezone on the switch in, for this you would also need 112 Attack evs to KO after Rocks.

I really do think Breloom is the weak link on this team still, and that Latias or Celebi would be better replacements, especially with Tentacruel gone, Lady Alex's Latias set is interesting, consider running that.

If you really want to keep Breloom, you might be able to get away with running Latias over Gliscor, but I don't suggest that, just an option I am throwing out there.

I don't really know what to suggest outside of this, good luck. :)

Hey, I got your PM :) I've used a LOT of Hail over the last few years, and there are basically three or four main defensive cores which can be used. Currently you're really weak to Keldeo, Landorus and Thundurus, plus you're missing a solid way of abusing the Hail damage (typically, you want a Substitute abuser immune to the Hail itself, who can maintain offensive pressure while forcing the opponent to take Hail / Toxic / Leech Seed damage).

The smallest change you can make is to replace Breloom with WishProtect Latias, which covers your main threats nicely (Protect also helps it evade a Pursuit trap), passes Wish to Forry, and synergises well offensively with Hail (which wears down Steels for it). However, the team would work a lot better with some more far-reaching changes. With Latias > Breloom, use Nidoqueen > Gliscor (Rock resist to handle Terrakion properly in Hail, Toxic Spikes, does better against MixTar) and Kyurem's SubRoost set instead of Skarmory, who is pretty redundant defensively. This actually covers all your threats a lot better, with the exception of physical boosting Dragons (who are covered by the Abomasnow set I'll post below for you), and gives you some nice double dragon synergy in Kyurem + Latias which can break through teams effectively.

Some of your sets are also suboptimal - the quickest way I can make suggestions is to just post an importable of what I think your team should look like:

EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Focus Punch
- Protect

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Kyurem-B (Kyurem) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 232 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Toxic

Nidoqueen (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sheer Force
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Beam

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Wish
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

That is intended just as a template, and you can put your own preferences on that if you want to try it. I always use Ice Beam > Blizzard on Hailstall, because its reliable out of Hail and has more PP, but w/e :)

Anyway, I hope that helps, and if you're not looking to change the team as drastically as I suggested, just use Latias > Breloom - you'll be slightly Tyranitar weak, but the team will function better overall.

I am really interested in Latias and I'm currently testing it out, once I have decided on a set, leaning towards a wish passing set I will make changes on the main post.

You really should use Latias i found Wish Passing Set is really helpful for Hail Teams because the get wore down quickly thanks to hazards. Also i wanted to say nice Forretress set i plan on using it on my hail team. Though i might make a few modifications. Anyway nice team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)