Monotype Frostbite: A Hyper Offensive Ice Team

Frostbite

One day, I wanted to see if I could make an Ice team around Alolan Sandslash, since I never considered it at all whenever I built my previous Ice teams. But after making this team, testing it, and making revisions along the way, I'm proud of how well it did. So without further ado, here's Frostbite: The Hyper Offensive Ice Team.

Froslass

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
Froslass serves as part of the hazard stacking core with Mamoswine, as well as being a helpful Fighting immunity and a nice suicide lead with Destiny Bond. Taunt is incredibly helpful for preventing hazards from coming up, keeping the pressure off of Alolan Sandslash to remove them. Shadow Ball is the preferred STAB due to being able to hit Ghost types and Psychic types much harder, such as Alolan Marowak, Victini, Mega Medicham, and Gengar. Froslass serves as the lead in most matchups, but against types like the aforementioned Psychic, as well as Fighting, it would be smarter to preserve it in order to offensively check certain threats, as well as to switch into High Jump Kicks and Close Combats.
Mamoswine

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard
Mamoswine serves as the mandatory Stealth Rocker, since I personally think that any good Monotype team needs Stealth Rock. Mamoswine also functions as an alternate lead should you decide to preserve Froslass. With Focus Sash and Endeavor+Ice Shard, Mamoswine can blanket check quite a few threats if you're able to keep its Sash intact. The long list includes Volcarona, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Scizor, Mew, Mega Sharpedo, and many more. Having no IV's in its Defenses or HP helps maximize the amount of damage that Mamoswine is gonna take, making it easier to get it low enough to Endeavor effectively. Oblivious is ran over Thick Fat in order to bypass Taunt users like Cobalion and Deoxys-Speed as it puts up Stealth Rock. And lastly, Earthquake is the most powerful and reliable Ground STAB it has.
Alolan Ninetales

Ninetales-Alola @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore
Here we have the most important partner for Alolan Sandslash, as well as my personal favorite Ice type: Alolan Ninetales. With its part Fairy typing and strong Fairy STAB in Moonblast, it helps deal with very threatening Fighting types like Mega Medicham, Keldeo, and Buzzwole. Freeze Dry is the Ice STAB to help deal with stuff like Swampert, Mantine, and especially Pelipper, since it can remove the hail and stop Alolan Sandslash's sweep short. Aurora Veil is amazing support to have, allowing the team's wallbreakers to come in without having to worry about taking too much damage. The last move is Encore to disrupt setup sweepers like Volcarona, Bisharp, and Mew. While Light Clay is a fantastic item to have on Alolan Ninetales to lengthen the amount of Aurora Veil turns, this team benefits more from Icy Rock in order to lengthen Alolan Sandslash's sweep, as well as allowing Walrein to spam Blizzard for more turns.
Alolan Sandslash
Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
Here we have Alolan Sandslash, the main star of the team, as well as the late-game cleaner. I would say it took the longest for me to improvize the Alolan Sandslash in terms of its item, nature, and moveset. I decided on Life Orb over Choice Band due to having the freedom to switch between moves during the sweep, as well as not being locked into Earthquake against matchups like Fire and Electric, where it can be exploited by Pokemon like Mega Charizard X, Air Balloon Magnezone, and Zapdos. In my opinion, it's well worth the cost of the extra power offered by the Choice Band. Jolly is ran over Adamant due to being able to outspeed more Scarfers under Hail that it wouldn't otherwise, such as Victini, Hydreigon, and Jirachi, as well as setup Pokemon like Mega Charizard X and Volcarona at +1. Jolly also allows us to speed tie with Choice Scarf Nihilego, which can be a major threat to the team. In terms of the moveset, it was a bit tricky deciding between Rock Slide and Earthquake. I decided on Earthquake due to it hitting more targets, as well as making sure that it could provide something in the insanely threatening Steel matchup.
Kyurem-Black

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 236 Atk / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
Kyurem-Black, being a mandatory Pokemon on just about any good Ice team, is serving as the mixed wallbreaker. The 236 EV's in Attack allow it to guarantee an OHKO on offensive Mew with Outrage. I invested the rest into Special Attack simply because I didn't think there were any notable KO's that the extra Attack EV's would offer, so I decided to put the remaining ones toward more powerful Ice Beams and Earth Powers. Originally, the Kyurem-Black set was Scarfed as a means of outspeeding and revenge killing Mega Charizard Y, which is an extreme threat to the team. But then I realized that Alolan Sandslash was good enough as speed control, and that Kyurem-Black would be better suited to break through troublesome threats like Skarmory, Celesteela, Toxapex, and Mega Venusaur.
Walrein

Walrein @ Choice Specs
Ability: Thick Fat
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Walrein serves as the special wallbreaker and designated Mega Scizor check. This slot used to be occupied by Lapras, but since I felt that the team was extremely vulnerable to Fire, I picked Walrein due to having a solid Fire resistance with Thick Fat. Walrein was also slightly faster and stronger than Lapras, despite not having access to Freeze Dry to break through Water types. Surf is Walrein's strongest Water STAB, capable of breaking through many Rock and Fire types, as well as some Steel types like Heatran and Skarmory. Hidden Power Fire is the most important moveslot, allowing Walrein to check Mega Scizor, as well as Ferrothorn. Blizzard is ran to take advantage of Alolan Ninetales' extended Hail in order to have a powerful 110 base power STAB move with perfect accuracy to spam. Ice Beam is ran alongside it for consistency.

So that was the team. I hope you enjoyed Frostbite: The Hyper Offensive Ice Team. Let me know what you liked about it, and what suggestions you have. :)
Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard

Ninetales-Alola @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 236 Atk / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Outrage

Walrein @ Choice Specs
Ability: Thick Fat
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)