Pokémon Galarian Rapidash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galarian Rapidash

Base Stats - 65 HP / 100 Atk / 70 Def / 80 SAtk / 80 SDef / 105 Spe

Abilities: Run Away / Pastel Veil / Anticipation (H)

1. Level Up Moves:
  2. - [00] Psycho Cut
  3. - [01] Psycho Cut
  4. - [01] Megahorn
  5. - [01] Tackle
  6. - [01] Quick Attack
  7. - [01] Growl
  8. - [01] Tail Whip
  9. - [01] Confusion
  10. - [15] Fairy Wind
  11. - [20] Agility
  12. - [25] Psybeam
  13. - [30] Stomp
  14. - [35] Heal Pulse
  15. - [43] Take Down
  16. - [49] Dazzling Gleam
  17. - [56] Psychic
  18. - [63] Healing Wish
  19. TMs:
  20. - [TM02] Pay Day
  21. - [TM08] Hyper Beam
  22. - [TM09] Giga Impact
  23. - [TM21] Rest
  24. - [TM24] Snore
  25. - [TM25] Protect
  26. - [TM29] Charm
  27. - [TM31] Attract
  28. - [TM39] Facade
  29. - [TM40] Swift
  30. - [TM44] Imprison
  31. - [TM52] Bounce
  32. - [TM69] Psycho Cut
  33. - [TM70] Trick Room
  34. - [TM71] Wonder Room
  35. - [TM72] Magic Room
  36. - [TM76] Round
  37. - [TM89] Misty Terrain
  38. - [TM91] Psychic Terrain
  39. - [TM92] Mystical Fire
  40. - [TM96] Smart Strike
  41. TRs:
  42. - [TR00] Swords Dance
  43. - [TR01] Body Slam
  44. - [TR07] Low Kick
  45. - [TR11] Psychic
  46. - [TR12] Agility
  47. - [TR20] Substitute
  48. - [TR26] Endure
  49. - [TR27] Sleep Talk
  50. - [TR28] Megahorn
  51. - [TR29] Baton Pass
  52. - [TR31] Iron Tail
  53. - [TR34] Future Sight
  54. - [TR49] Calm Mind
  55. - [TR69] Zen Headbutt
  56. - [TR82] Stored Power
  57. - [TR83] Ally Switch
  58. - [TR86] Wild Charge
  59. - [TR87] Drill Run
  60. - [TR90] Play Rough
  61. - [TR92] Dazzling Gleam
  62. - [TR94] High Horsepower
  63. - [TR95] Throat Chop

Notable Moves:
Swords Dance
Zen Headbutt
Play Rough
High Horsepower
Facade
Healing Wish
Morning Sun
Wild Charge
Low Kick

Description of New Abilities:

Pastel Veil
- Protects the Pokémon and its ally Pokémon from being poisoned.

Pros:

- Galarian Rapidash now has access to Swords Dance this Gen to take advantage of its better Attack stat, this allowing it to be a decent wallbreaker and sweeper under the correct circumstances. This being further supported with it having access to strong physical STAB moves.

- Pastel Veil is it's best ability and can prevent it from being poisoned by Toxic, which removes one of the many methods used to deal with an offensive threat like this.

- Rapidash also has a fairly decent typing in Psychic and Fairy, which can cover most of each others resistances bar Steel-types but it has access to coverage option like High Horsepower to alleviate this.

Cons:

- Galarian Rapidash is very frail so can often struggle to find an opportunity to set up without taking too much damage or just being OHKOed in the process. Rapidash also has a middling speed tier around base 100 leaving it easily revenge killed by many faster threats.

- Rapidash is limited in the coverage options to hit Steel-types and is thus forced to run High Horsepower in order to beat Aegislash. Low Kick would have more merits in allowing Rapidash to remove Ferrothorn and not be completely walled by Bronzong for example, Max Knuckle also potentially being nice for a +1 Attack boost after use.

- Without a boost this thing is basically relying on its item and Dynamax to do any sort of damage.

Dynamaxing potential:

Galarian Rapidash has a lot of dynamax potential when it comes to breaking through bulkier Pokemon like Toxapex etc. Zen Headbutt becomes Max Mindstorm, which sets Psychic Terrain. This not only protects it from being revenge killed by any form of priority but it also boosts its Psychic STAB moves. Play Rough becomes Max Starfall, which similarly sets Misty Terrain and this can protect it from being burned by Scald etc. So it has some degree of skill to play around the terrains that best suit you at the time. There isn't much to say about Max Quake, though a +2 Play Rough into it was able to OHKO some variant of Ferrothorn. Though it is important for trying to remove Aegislash that very easily revenge kills you with Shadow Sneak, something Psychic Terrain helps prevent.

Potential Movesets:

[Swords Dance]

Rapidash-Galar @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Pastel Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Play Rough
- High Horsepower

This is the only set I have found success with as most attempts of running potential 3 Atk sets or Choice Band are hard to pull off with a measly base 100 Attack. The set is pretty self-explanatory based on some of the stuff I have mentioned above. As long as Aegislash is here you kind of have to resort to High Horsepower especially with Pursuit being removed. However, if it is ever banned then Low Kick has its merits in the last slot for reasons I mentioned prior to this. Item of choice is up to you, though I prefer the benefits of LO the most personally. Expert Belt can be run if you hate the recoil damage, otherwise, maybe you could consider some kind of berry.

I think Low Kick might be preferable anyway to hit the Pex/Thorn cores. If it's not dmax then Aegislash will revenge kill it regardless of its coverage move. Overall an interesting if underwhelming addition to the game.

Too bad Baton Pass was instabanned and poor Rapidash didn't get a chance to shine, having access to Stored Power without fearing Dark-types at all.

In OU I believe it has near to no chance of being able to pull off a set with Healing Wish. It needs SD to have any relevance so that takes up the slot and then the other two slots are its STAB coverage. The final slot has to be coverage otherwise it's just walled by Steel-types. If Rapidash falls to a lower tier where its Speed tier isn't as problematic it could probably be able to run different sets for instance with said move

Pretty sure Healing Wish with a Scarf or something in a lower tier is her eventual home. With her ability blocking Poison and Healing Wish for anything else, she may be a decent pseudo cleric who does some fighting early and then sets up for your real sweeper late.

In OU I believe it has near to no chance of being able to pull off a set with Healing Wish. It needs SD to have any relevance so that takes up the slot and then the other two slots are its STAB coverage. The final slot has to be coverage otherwise it's just walled by Steel-types. If Rapidash falls to a lower tier where its Speed tier isn't as problematic it could probably be able to run different sets for instance with said move
Hm true. I mainly was thinking of it being a wish sacrifice for another sweeper, so one of the slots could be Hypnosis. Personally I would use Wide Lens because RNJesus hates me, but it's an option. Not the best option, but an option nonetheless.

Raw stats aren't everything, distribution tends to matter more and her's is pretty bad. That said 100 Atk and 105 speed isn't bad but isn't great either. Her defenses are also not good on either side much like her Kanto counterpart. Her stat distribution is just a little off meaning against most of the 'neutral' match ups she just doesn't hit hard enough to OHKO nor have the sustainability to survive multiple hits.

I can see her being a off pick niche Pokemon due to beat out key Pokemon like the Toxapex and Ferrothorn (80 SpA with Mystical Fire) core, passable coverage and immunity to toxic to not be stalled out by some walls. Hopefully I am wrong because she does look fun to use though.

Too bad Baton Pass was instabanned and poor Rapidash didn't get a chance to shine, having access to Stored Power without fearing Dark-types at all.
I think it would still be outclassed honestly. Baton Pass has such massive distribution that G Rapidash still struggles to set itself apart from other actually good Pokemon.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
It seriously got only Play Rough?
would need Leech horn for revovery and should get it taking it learns mega horn and solar blade.
Magnet Rise and Bounce...

Galarian weezing is itąs worst nightmare actually.

Against Garchomp and Mega Garchomp it can stay strong actually.

If it would get Aurora Beam for coverage and Mist...

At least it can break many pokemon with one shot even most with type advantage.

Ghost and steel are its weak spot especially shadow sneak and bulletpunch users, phantom force and that new steel entry hazard can get ugly.

I just don't see Rapidash living long enough to set up. It can barely switch in, even if it does it will be KO'ed after it swords dance. I just see no viability in a Life Orb or Wise Glasses. It straight up needs Focus Sash and to pray the enemy doesn't know what priority is.

would need Leech horn for revovery and should get it taking it learns mega horn and solar blade.

Ghost and steel are its weak spot especially shadow sneak and bulletpunch users, phantom force and that new steel entry hazard can get ugly.
You don't need Horn Leech, it has Morning Sun.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
It does not get Horn Leech and Solar Blade is a 2 turn move, which isn't easy easy to use. It does not get Magnet Rise either, and Garchomp isn't even in the game. Please do the minimum and at least read the first post to see what moves Rapidash gets. Alternatively you can check showdown and check what Rapidash gets in the teambuilder. You can learn a lot of basic information by spending a minute or 2 looking up movesets or checking resources.
I just don't see Rapidash living long enough to set up. It can barely switch in, even if it does it will be KO'ed after it swords dance. I just see no viability in a Life Orb or Wise Glasses. It straight up needs Focus Sash and to pray the enemy doesn't know what priority is.
The way offensive mons work is that the turn they force out an opponent (usually a slower mon they can KO) is when they can set up. Ash Greninja is a good example of this. It would be sent out to revenge kill or force out slower mons like Heatran, and it would use the turn Heatran switches to set up a layer of Spikes. In this case, Rapidash would be using Swords Dance. If you want an example, then here's this:

The opponent's Toxtricity just KO'd your Toxapex. Then you send out Rapidash. The opponent switches into their Corviknight/Ferrothorn and you click Swords Dance. Then you click Wild Charge or Low Kick to KO or significantly damage whichever mon comes in. From there, the opponent sends in something to revenge kill Rapidash and then the cycle starts over.

I hope that helps with understanding how to properly use Rapidash.

It does not get Horn Leech and Solar Blade is a 2 turn move, which isn't easy easy to use. It does not get Magnet Rise either, and Garchomp isn't even in the game. Please do the minimum and at least read the first post to see what moves Rapidash gets. Alternatively you can check showdown and check what Rapidash gets in the teambuilder. You can learn a lot of basic information by spending a minute or 2 looking up movesets or checking resources.

The way offensive mons work is that the turn they force out an opponent (usually a slower mon they can KO) is when they can set up. Ash Greninja is a good example of this. It would be sent out to revenge kill or force out slower mons like Heatran, and it would use the turn Heatran switches to set up a layer of Spikes. In this case, Rapidash would be using Swords Dance. If you want an example, then here's this:

The opponent's Toxtricity just KO'd your Toxapex. Then you send out Rapidash. The opponent switches into their Corviknight/Ferrothorn and you click Swords Dance. Then you click Wild Charge or Low Kick to KO or significantly damage whichever mon comes in. From there, the opponent sends in something to revenge kill Rapidash and then the cycle starts over.

I hope that helps with understanding how to properly use Rapidash.
Yes it does, thank you.

Would Low Kick be viable > High Horsepower? Hits Ferrothorn really hard. I'm not super knowledgeable on the gen 8 meta but I imagine popping Ferro is more important than having the horse pokemon use the horse themed move.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Would Low Kick be viable > High Horsepower? Hits Ferrothorn really hard. I'm not super knowledgeable on the gen 8 meta but I imagine popping Ferro is more important than having the horse pokemon use the horse themed move.
High Horsepower hits a bunch of Steel-types on the switch such as Aegislash.

No it does not. The only move it gets with the word horn in it is Megahorn.
I think they're giving thanks for the explanation below that.

Seeing as this has had a surprising amount of discussion I will just step back in to say the set has been updated to such

Rapidash-Galar @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Ability: Pastel Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Wild Charge
- Low Kick

TPP has kindly given a response above on how such set should be used.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I suggested the set above as well due to the following reasons:
  • The main mons that can safely switch into the above coverage after a swords dance with/without Life Orb are Unaware Quagsire, Aegislash (can avoid the 2HKO from non-LO), Rotom-Heat (takes nothing from Low Kick but it has no recovery and hates rocks, and Shedinja. A physically defensive Weezing, or Toxtricity could technically trouble this set, but Rapidash being part psychic lets you bluff a psychic move and scare them into not immediately coming in.
  • Low Kick is for Ferrothorn, and Excadrill, and Wild Charge was to hit Corviknight for super effective damage while also being capable of not being fully walled by Aegislash. Wild Charge also hits Toxapex.
  • Life Orb is great, but Wild Charge + Life Orb recoil sucks a lot, so I suggested Expert Belt as an alternative. I haven't tested it, so idk if it can help achieve any KO's, but it's basically a recoil-free option that can hopefully help pick up KO's.
Ferro, Pex, Excadrill, Corviknight and Mandibuzz commonly being used as defensive pivots allows Rapidash to put some real pressure on teams. Speed tier outspeeding big threats such as Darmanitan, Excadrill outside of sand, Hydreigon, and Gyarados make it somewhat nice. I don't think it'll be that good or stay in OU, but it's a fun option that should hopefully get some usage in UU, RU or wherever it ends up. Coverage + speed tier + swords dance will get it somewhere for sure imo.

If we're still talking OU for this Poke, I think Scarf is her niche regardless. She outspeeds Gyarados at +1 and normal Dragapult and can OHKO back with Wild Charge or Play Rough. Galar Weezing is guaranteed 2hko from Zen Headbutt, so he can't switch in on her (unless locked into something else, of course). Tox doesn't like Wild Charge or Zen Headbutt, obviously.

Low Kick is an option for 4th slot to 2HKO Ferro or Excadrill (who she can outrun even if he used Rapid Spin). But I still stick to the idea Healing Wish is too valuable for Rapidash to give up lategame. Fast Healing Wish is so valuable, and Swords Dance is tough for her defenses and speed tier, and she's likely to take damage from a Wild Charge or two anyway.

I don't think OU is Rapidash's home, but I still think Scarf is the answer if you want to fit one on your team there. Healing Wish is the game changer to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)