RU Gallade

Took over from CyclicCompound Took his skeleton :3

QC: New Breed / EonX / atomicllamas
GP: Redew / frenzyplant

Overview
########

Gallade is one of the most viable Fighting-types in RU because of its extreme versatility and its great offensive movepool. Its useful Psychic typing allows it to defeat the Poison-type walls in the tier, such as Muk and Amoonguss. Access to boosting moves, such as Bulk Up and Swords Dance, makes Gallade one of the best answers to stall teams. However, Gallade is physically frail with a base Defense of only 65, making it prone to being revenge killed. Fortunately, its sky-high base Attack of 125 and access to a useful ability in Justified makes Gallade a great option to consider on many teams.

Substitute + 3 Attacks
########
name: Substitute + 3 Attacks
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Zen Headbutt / Psycho Cut
move 4: Knock Off
ability: Justified
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Substitute is the main move on the set, protecting Gallade from status and preventing it from being easily revenge killed. Drain Punch is a mandatory STAB move that allows Gallade to recover the health lost from Life Orb recoil and from setting up Substitutes. Zen Headbutt is a great secondary STAB move that can 2HKO common Poison-types such as Amoonguss. However, Psycho Cut is an option for more reliability at the cost of less power. Knock Off allows Gallade to hit Ghost-types, including Doublade and Cofagrigus, and to cripple walls, such as Alomomola and Gligar, by removing their items.

Set Details
========

The 252 EVs in Attack and Speed help Gallade outspeed and knock out bulky attackers. Life Orb maximizes damage output and its recoil is mitigated by the recovery from Drain Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Gallade is best sent out against Pokemon it can force out, such as Amoonguss, Slowking, and Cobalion, so that it can easily set up a Substitute. However, if you predict that the opponent is going to switch in a counter, such as Cofagrigus or Gligar, use Knock Off instead. Thanks to Gallade's high Special Defense, it can sweep late-game when the opponent's physical attackers have been eliminated. Try not to sacrifice Gallade unnecessarily, as it always has another chance at life thanks to the recovery from Drain Punch.

Team Options
========

Moltres and Zangoose are great partners for Gallade as they can break down walls that Gallade might have trouble with. Because Gallade forces many switches, entry hazard support is extremely welcome. Stealth Rock is highly encouraged, especially when many of Gallade's best checks, such as Braviary and Moltres, are weak to it. However, Gallade is vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes which can quickly wear it down, therefore a Pokemon that can remove hazards is essential. Pokemon that set up hazards are good in general, such as Qwilfish, Omastar, and Leavanny, which can set up Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Sticky Web respectively.

Bulk Up
########
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Drain Punch
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
nature: Careful

Moves
========

Bulk Up boosts Gallade's Attack and Defense simultaneously, making it very hard to take down. Substitute protects Gallade from status ailments such as burn and poison, while Drain Punch heals Gallade and acts as a reliable STAB move. Knock Off hits most things that Drain Punch doesn't, while also removing the opposing Pokemon's item.

Set Details
========

The set invests 44 Speed EVs in order to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar, allowing Gallade to set up safely against both of them without the threat of Toxic. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Special Defense to make Gallade as specially bulky as possible. Leftovers is the most appropriate option for passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Keep Gallade away from status! Never hesitate to set up a Substitute if you can spare the health so that you can worry less about critical hits and status. Don't forget about Whirlwind, Roar, and sound-based moves such as Bug Buzz and Boomburst, as they all bypass Gallade's Substitutes. Whirlwind and Roar are quite rare, but be wary if your opponent reveals them to you. While sound-based moves are somewhat common, Gallade's bulk usually means that it will never be OHKOed by them.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock are almost a necessity, as beating Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder becomes far easier with it. As mentioned earlier, Gallade is very weak to status, so a Pokemon that can remove Toxic Spikes is absolutely required. Qwilfish can remove Toxic Spikes, while setting up its own and crippling faster opponents with Thunder Wave. Many Pokemon such as Banette are extremely annoying and can prevent Gallade from working to its full potential, so a solid switch-in such as Moltres is recommended. Teammates that can create free turns, such as Encore + U-turn Whimsicott, can help Gallade set up.

Bulky Swords Dance
########
name: Bulky Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 3: Psycho Cut
move 4: Knock Off / Ice Punch
item: Lum Berry
evs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Swords Dance is Gallade's setup move that allows it to KO the majority of the tier after a boost. Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are the mandatory STAB moves. Knock Off has the best coverage alongside Drain Punch and Psycho Cut, and is especially handy for getting past bulky Ghost-types. Ice Punch can be used in the last slot to get past Gligar, but Gallade misses out on hitting Doublade, Delphox, and Cresselia for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

The EV spread maximizes Attack so that Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to aid Gallade in setting up. Justified is the best ability in order to punish the use of Dark-type moves, and Lum Berry is the best option for Gallade to avoid status.

Usage Tips
========

Try to eliminate Pokemon that counter Gallade, such as Braviary, so that Gallade can set up safely. Gallade can also switch into Pokemon such as Cobalion and Slowking to receive a free turn in order to set up Swords Dance. Gallade is extremely weak to status moves, so it should avoid them at all costs.

Team Options
========

Being able to eliminate Gallade's counters is important for success. These include Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder, and they can be dealt with by setting up Stealth Rock or by luring them with Pokemon such as Volt Switch Cobalion. Encore + U-turn users, such as Whimsicott, can often create free turns for Gallade to set up. Because Gallade is weak to hyper offensive teams that can overwhelm and beat it, teammates such as Rotom-C and Choice Scarf Delphox are helpful to check most offensive Pokemon.

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Drain Punch
move 2: Psycho Cut
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Ice Punch / Close Combat
item: Assault Vest

Moves
========

Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are the STAB moves of choice for their reliability. A more powerful option is Close Combat, but the defense drops are undesirable. Gallade has access to many coverage options that can be used in the last two moveslots. Knock Off is useful for weakening opposing walls and hitting Ghost-types such as Doublade; however, Ice Punch is Gallade's best option against Gligar. Rock Tomb is an option to beat Moltres and hit other Flying-types at the same time. Poison Jab is also available to let Gallade eliminate Aromatisse if it is a threat to your team.

Set Details
========

The EV spread maximizes Attack so that Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to make Gallade bulky. Justified is the ability of choice, punishing common users of Dark-type moves, particularly ones like Clawitzer that use Dark Pulse.

Usage Tips
========

Gallade should be kept healthy because it has no recovery outside of Drain Punch. Unless you wish to sacrifice it, do not challenge healthy physical attackers such as Druddigon, Rhyperior or Escavalier. Predict switch-ins and use the appropriate coverage move to eliminate them, as nothing can switch safely into this Gallade set.

Team Options
========

Rhyperior is a good teammate for Gallade because it checks Moltres and Braviary and can set up Stealth Rock, which hurts Flying-types that check Gallade. Rhyperior can also act as a physical tank against physical attackers, which Gallade is weak to. Moltres is another great teammate for Gallade because it can absorb Will-O-Wisp as well as check Doublade. Moltres can also remove Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which hurt Gallade. Gallade works well alongside any physical cleaner, as Gallade can wallbreak and wear down physically defensive threats quite well. In general, teammates that are bulkier work well with Gallade.

Other Options
########

Gallade can run a offensive Swords Dance set that bases itself around setting up as soon as possible and proceeding to sweep. Another set Gallade can run is a Choice Band or Choice Scarf set, which capitalizes on its great coverage and usable Speed tier. Gallade can also run a stallbreaking set that utilizes Taunt and Will-O-Wisp, but its other sets are far more effective at this job and not completely stopped by Aromatisse. Gallade can run different moves due to its big movepool, an example being Zen Headbutt, which is a more powerful but less accurate alternative to Psycho Cut. Gallade can also run Leaf Blade in order to hit Alomomola hard. A final option is a specially defensive set, utilizing moves such as Wish and Will-O-Wisp to function as a specially defensive wall or pivot.

Checks & Counters
########

**Flying-types**: Braviary, Fletchinder, and Moltres are all major threats to Gallade by virtue of their super effective STABs, easily checking all the above sets.

**Toxic Spikes / Toxic**: With only Drain Punch as recovery, all four sets will be significantly hampered by Toxic Spikes and Toxic.

**Physical Attackers**: Gallade's low base Defense means that physical attackers can hurt it easily. Gallade cannot take them on unless it has a Substitute up or has accumulated several Bulk Up boosts.

**Burn**: Gallade is effectively neutered if it gets burnt, so take extra care to make sure it doesn't through switching out or setting up Substitutes.

**Doublade**: Doublade can threaten Gallade with a super effective Shadow Sneak or Shadow Claw, and it can survive most of Gallade's attacks.

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure what happened, but the Assault Vest set seems to have mysteriously disappeared.

Remember, you still need to add Offensive Swords Dance and Choice Band set to the analysis. You can find information about the former at the bottom of this post by EonX.

The analysis should have six sets total before it's ready to be QC checked.

Not sure what happened, but the Assault Vest set seems to have mysteriously disappeared.

Remember, you still need to add Offensive Swords Dance and Choice Band set to the analysis. You can find information about the former at the bottom of this post by EonX.

The analysis should have six sets total before it's ready to be QC checked.
I talked to Molk about the AV set and he said that it being in OO is fine, and if other QC members ask, I would put it on. But I guess, I'll put it on anyways now. The other two sets I'm talking to Molk about.

Yeah I think Choice Band definitely deserves a set but i'll talk it over with some of the other QC members and get back to you. The rest looks btw i'll be happy to approve after sorting CB stuff out.

Edit: talked it over CB is fine in oo im also fine with offensive sd in oo

QC APPROVED 1/3

Last edited:
I thought of adding a Offensive SD set, and saw that it was the same thing as Bulky SD set except for EVs. I'm going to put that in OO if the RU QC team doesn't mind.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
During write-up, make sure CB and Offensive SD are the first two things you mention in OO considering they're nearly good enough for full sets. Already went over this in full when Cyclic had this and since you took the skeleton, it's good to go.

QC Approved 2/3

I wonder about the Speed EVs. 84 Spe outspeeds uninvested base 90s while 88 Spe outspeeds max speed modest clawitzer which has really been popular lately.

I'd say that Zen headbutt >Psycho cut in the substitute set just because it always 2hkos aromatisse after Sr factoring protect while psycho cut never does.

Also I'd mention Ice Punch on that set too just because Gligar is so popular and it is a pretty nice thing it has over hitmonlee

Last edited:
The Bulk Up set should list Escavalier in Team Options, as it absolutely murders Aromatisse, and to a lesser extent Banette. Amoonguss is also a good partner, as it can remove Toxic Spikes and also counters Aromatisse.

Zen Headbutt is in OO, and I added Ice Punch in OO as well
No, it is main set material, why would you lose to a pokemon you can beat and you have a reliable STAB move in Drain Punch anyway? Not to mention that Psycho cut is so ridicolously weak it can't ohko Amoonguss after stealth rock while zen headbutt has a chance to do so at least

No, it is main set material, why would you lose to a pokemon you can beat and you have a reliable STAB move in Drain Punch anyway? Not to mention that Psycho cut is so ridicolously weak it can't ohko Amoonguss after stealth rock while zen headbutt has a chance to do so at least
I'll slash it after Psycho Cut... I'd rather have accuracy than power...

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
I'll slash it after Psycho Cut... I'd rather have accuracy than power...
As someone who's used Zen Headbutt > Psycho Cut on Gallade on many occasions, I'd say you should either make it the first slash or the only option to start with. First of all: 90% accuracy is on par with stuff like Draco Meteor, which is the main STAB move for pretty much every specially oriented Dragon-type. Second: Flinch chance. I'd rather have that over extra critical hit chance, since it allows you to flinch your way through some walls where not even a Psycho Cut would be enough (Alomomola and Aromatisse being the main two I'm thinking of right now) during sticky situations. Lastly, it does more damage, like galbia said. I'll use the same example he did, for the sake of simplicity:

252 Atk Life Orb Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Amoonguss: 289-343 (66.8 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Amoonguss: 330-390 (76.3 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

A difference of 10% damage on the same roll is relevant enough, so don't make it look like an inferior option. Here's another example:

252 Atk Life Orb Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 187-221 (55.9 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 213-252 (63.7 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

As a reader, if I came across the following line: "Zen Headbutt which trades a bit of accuracy for a bit of power making it somewhat unreliable.", I would probably be discouraged and think the difference in power between both options is minimal or that Zen Headbutt's unreliability is on par with Hurricane's or something similar, which is not the case. I think that's all, cause while the write up does look somewhat subpar after reading it at a glance, I'm not the one who should be evaluating it.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The Overview needs to be toned down and changed a little bit.

for example first sentence: While Gallade faces a lot of competition from the other Fighting-types in RU, its offensively good dual typing and extensive movepool give Gallade a niche as a stall breaker in the tier.

its just a little awkwardly worded?

Ya fix the overview and this is

QC 3/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amcheck? :)

Overview
########

Having a Psychic-type STAB making it able to get passed Poison-type walls such as Amoonguss, Gallade is one of the most viable Fighting-types in RU because of its extreme versatility in its sets and its great offensive movepool which . Gallade's movepool includes boosting moves such as Bulk Up, and Swords Dance, making Gallade one of the best answers to stall teams. With its Psychic-type STAB, it is able to get past Poison-type walls such as Amoonguss. Another great perk that comes with Gallade is its ability Justified. Gallade also has a great base 125 Attack of 125, but falls short in Defense with only a Base base 65 Defense of 65, making Gallade prone to being revenge killed. Another great perk that comes with Gallade is its ability Justified.

Substitute + 3 Attacks
########

Moves
========

The set features Substitute, a move which protects Gallade from statuses, and prevents it Gallade from being easily revenge killed. As an offensive move, Drain Punch is a must as Gallade loses HP easily from Life Orb recoil and Substitutes; it also acts as one of Gallade's most effective STAB moves. Another STAB move Gallade can use is Zen Headbutt, which . Zen Headbutt is a great STAB move that can 2HKO common Poison-types such as Amoonguss. Another option for a Psychic-type STAB move is Psycho Cut, (comma) which trades a bit of power for a bit better more accuracy; (semicolon) however, (comma) the power makes a big difference in game (this is kind of vague...). Gallade's last move on the set is Knock Off, which . Knock Off hits Ghost-types such as Doublade and Cofagrigus and also weakens walls such as Alomomola, and Gligar by removing their items.

Set Details
========

Gallade's EVs are quite self explanatory. The 252 EVs in Attack and Speed help Gallade outspeed and knock out bulky attackers. While Life Orb adds the necessary punch to all of Gallade's attacks and it works well with Drain Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Gallade is best sent out against Pokemon it can force out, such as Amoonguss, Slowking, and Cobalion, so it can easily set up a Substitute. However, against obvious switches to Cofagrigus or Gligar, Substitutes aren't necessary and Gallade should instead, just attack with Knock Off. Although Gallade has average Speed, removing powerful physical attackers such as Escavalier, and Doublade helps Gallade set up for a late-game sweep due to its good Special Defense. Also, since Drain Punch, one of Gallade's main moves, is also a form of recovery. Gallade is often not the best Pokemon to sack (I think?), because Gallade it can easily restore health with Drain Punch.

Team Options
========

Moltres and Zangoose are great partners to Gallade because of their abilityies to soften up walls, that Gallade may have trouble with (maybe include some examples of these walls). Since As Gallade forces many switches, entry hazard support is extremely welcome. Stealth Rock is nearly mandatory, seeing that many of Gallade's best checks, such as Braviary, and Moltres, are weak to it. Pokemon that set up hazards are good in general, such as Qwilfish, Omastar, and Leavanny, who can set up Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Sticky Web respectively. On the same note, (comma) Spikes and Toxic Spikes can quickly wear Gallade down, especially in conjunction with Life Orb damage, so a Pokemon that can remove hazards is essential. Pokemon who set up hazards are good in general such as Qwilfish, Omastar, and Leavanny, who can set up Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Sticky Web respectively. (I just moved this sentence up)

Bulk Up
########

Moves
========

First off, Bulk Up, Gallade's set up move, is to boosts its Gallade's Attack and Defense, making Gallade it very hard to take down. Being weak to statuses such as Burn, and Poison, Substitute protects Gallade from status such as Burn and Poison, while Drain Punch heals Gallade and acts as a reliable STAB move. Knock Off, on the other hand, hits most things that Drain Punch doesn't, while also removing your opposing Pokemon's items.

Set Details
========

The set invests 44 Speed EVs to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar, allowing Gallade to set up safely against both of them without the threat of Toxic. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Special Defense, (comma) making Gallade as bulky as possible on the special Defense side. No other item would fit as well as Leftovers, (comma) which lets Gallade passively recovers health.

Usage Tips
========

Keep Gallade away from status! Never hesitate to set up a Substitute if you ('you' should refer to the battler, not the Pokemon) can spare the health so you can worry less about critical hits and status. Don't forget about Whirlwind, Roar, and sound-based moves such as Bug Buzz and Boomburst, which can hit through Substitutes. Whirlwind and Roar are quite rare, but be wary if your opponent reveals them to you. While sound-based moves are somewhat common, but Gallade's bulk means it will never be OHKOed by either move. (maybe expand this section a little? right now you only really talk about Substitute)

Team Options
========

A Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock is almost a necessity, as beating Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder becomes far easier with rocks it up. As mentioned earlier, Gallade is very weak to status, so a Pokemon to remove Toxic Spikes is absolutely required. Two layers of Toxic Spikes will almost certainly ruin Gallade. An example of this is could be Qwilfish, which who can remove Toxic Spikes, while as well as setting its own and being able to cripple faster opponents with Thunder Wave. Many Pokemon such as (either elaborate or remove that) Banette is extremely annoying and can prevent Gallade from working, so a solid switch-in such as Moltres is recommended. Teammates that can create free turns such as Encore + U-turn Whimsicott can help Gallade set up.

Bulky Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance is Gallade's set up boosting move that allows Gallade to KO everything (everything?) once set up. Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are Gallade's reliable STAB moves, that have no downsides to them. Knock Off has the best coverage alongside Drain Punch and Psycho Cut, and is especially handy for getting past bulky Ghost-types. Last but not least, Ice Punch can be used in the last slot as it allows Gallade to get past Gligar. Although, with Ice Punch, Gallade cannot hit the likes of Doublade, Delphox, and Cresselia.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is designed to max out Attack so Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to aid Gallade in setting up. Justified is once again the best ability, and Lum Berry is the best option for Gallade because it allows Gallade to set up and helps against status.

Usage Tips
========

Try to knock out Pokemon that counter Gallade such as Braviary so Gallade is safe to set up, or switch-in (no dash) on Pokemon such as Cobalion, and Slowking to receive a free turn to Swords Dance with Gallade. Once again, Gallade is extremely weak to status, and even though Gallade it is carrying a Lum Berry, it is only able to get rid of status once carrying ONE.

Team Options
========

Being able to knock out Pokemon that counter Gallade, such as Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder, is huge (I think a word like critical or essential or something would be better?) for Gallade to be successful. Pokemon such as Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder all counter Gallade. The simplest ways to deal with these Pokemon are by setting up Stealth Rock, or to luring these troublesome attackers with Pokemon such as Volt Switch Cobalion. Seeing that Gallade needs turns to set up, Encore + U-turn users such as Whimsicott can often create free turns for Gallade to set up (repetition of 'set up' feels awkward, maybe replace this one with 'use Swords Dance'?). Taunt users are a pain to Gallade, preventing it from setting up making Gallade not able to set up (is there a potential teammate that can help against Taunt users?). Also, Gallade is weak to hyper offensive teams that can overwhelm and beat it, so teammates such as Rotom-C and Scarf Delphox are helpful as they can easily check most offensive Pokemon.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are the STAB moves of choice due to its their ability to heal Gallade itself and its their accuracy and reliability, respectively. Another option for a STAB move is Close Combat, which is a more powerful option than Drain Punch, but the defense drops are highly detrimental. Gallade also has a variety of coverage moves that it can use, such as Knock Off, which is useful for weakening opposing walls, and it hits Ghost-types such as Doublade. Ice Punch is Gallade's best option against Gligar. Rock Tomb seems like an odd choice, but it allows Gallade to completely beat Moltres, and other Flying-types which, although Ice Punch can hit other Flying-types as well. Finally, Poison Jab is another choice because it lets Gallade take out Aromatisse if it's particularly troubling.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is used to max out Attack so Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to make Gallade somewhat bulky. Justified is once again the ability of choice, punishing common users of Dark-types moves, particularly ones that use Dark Pulse such as Clawitzer.

Usage Tips
========

Gallade should be kept relatively healthy because it has no recovery outside of Drain Punch, and unless you are preparing to sack it do not take on healthy, powerful attackers such as Druddigon, Rhyperior, (comma) or Escavalier. Other than that, Gallade is fairly straightforward. Use prediction skills for switches as not many Pokemon can safely switch in on this Gallade set, and most can be dealt with (or at least crippled) by the right move.

Team Options
========

Rhyperior is a good teammate to Gallade because it checks Moltres and Braviary, it and can set up Stealth Rock, which hurts Flying-types that check Gallade. Rhyperior can also act as a physical tank against physical attackers, which Gallade is weak to. Moltres is another great teammate for Gallade because it can absorb Will-O-Wisp as well as checking Doublade, which is a major threat to Gallade. Moltres can also act as a hazard remover for Spikes and Toxic Spikes with Defog, making Gallade's lifespan significantly longer. Gallade can work well alongside any physical cleaner, as Gallade can wallbreak and wear down threats quite well. In general, teammates who are bulkier work well with Gallade.

Other Options
########

Gallade can run an offensive Swords Dance set that bases itself around setting up as soon as possible and start sweeping. Another set Gallade can run is a Choice Band or Choice Scarf set, both of which can be used to some effect, capitalizeing on Gallade's great coverage and usable speed tier. Gallade can also run a Taunt and Will-O-Wisp stallbreaking (stallbreaker? stallbreaking? idk) set, but Gallade's other sets are far more effective at stallbreaking, not to mention that this set is completely stopped by Aromatisse. Due to its big movepool, Gallade can run different moves due to its big movepool such as Zen Headbutt which is another option for Psycho Cut. Zen Headbutt is a stronger but slightly more unreliable STAB move compared to Psycho Cut. If Gligar is causing troubles for your team, running Ice Punch on Gallade is not a bad idea. Gallade can also run Leaf Blade that can be used to hit Alomomola hard. On the defensive side, Gallade can run a specially defensive set, utilizing moves such as Wish and Will-O-Wisp to function as a specially defensive wall or pivot.

Checks & Counters
########

***Flying-types:*** Braviary, Fletchinder, and Moltres are all major threats to Gallade by virtue of their super effective STABs, easily checking all three variants.

***Toxic Spikes / Toxic:*** With only Drain Punch as recovery, all three sets will be significantly hampered by Toxic Spikes and Toxic.

***Physical Attackers:*** Gallade's low base Defense means physical attackers have an easy time checking it. Gallade is unlikely to win a 1v1 against beat most of them one-on-one unless it has a Substitute up or several Bulk Up boosts.

***Burn:*** Gallade is basically neutered (odd word choice, but alright) if it gets burnt, so take extra care to make sure it doesn't by through switching or using Substitute.

***Doublade:*** Doublade isn't necessarily a counter, but it isn't something to underestimate either as it can threaten Gallade with a Shadow Sneak or a Shadow Claw.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
amcheck mark II

Overview
########

Gallade is one of the most viable Fighting-types in RU because of its extreme versatility and its great offensive movepool. Its useful Psychic-typing allows it to bypass the Poison-type walls in the tier, such as Muk and Amoonguss. Access to boosting moves, like Bulk Up and Swords Dance, makes Gallade one of the best answers to stall teams. However, Gallade is physically frail with only a base Defense of 65, making Gallade prone to being revenge killed. Fortunately, its sky high Attack of 125 and access to a useful ability in Justified makes Gallade a great option to consider on many teams.

Substitute + 3 Attacks
########

Moves
========

Substitute is the main move on the set, protecting Gallade from status and preventing it from being easily revenge killed. Drain Punch is mandatory STAB that allows Gallade to recover the health lost from Life Orb recoil and the creation of Substitutes. Zen Headbutt is a great STAB move that can 2HKO common Poison-types such as Amoonguss. However, Psycho Cut is an option for more reliability but less power. Knock Off allows Gallade to hit Ghost-types, including Doublade and Cofagrigus, and to cripple walls such as Alomomola and Gligar by removing their items.

Set Details
========

The 252 EVs in Attack and Speed help Gallade outspeed and knock out bulky attackers. Life Orb maximizes damage and its recoil is mitigated by the recovery from Drain Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Gallade is best sent out against Pokemon it can force out, such as Amoonguss, Slowking, and Cobalion, so that it can easily set up a Substitute. However, if you predict that the opponent is going to switch in a counter, such as Cofagrigus or Gligar, use Knock Off instead. Thanks to Gallade's high Special Defense, it can sweep late game when the opponent's physical attackers have been eliminated. Try not to sacrifice Gallade unnecessarily, as it always has another chance at life thanks to the recovery from Drain Punch.

Team Options
========

Moltres and Zangoose are great partners for Gallade to break down walls that Gallade may have trouble with. Since Gallade forces many switches, entry hazard support is extremely welcome. Stealth Rock is extremely encouraged, especially when many of Gallade's best checks, such as Braviary and Moltres, are weak to it. However, Gallade is vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes which can quickly wear it down, so a Pokemon that can remove hazards is essential. Pokemon that set up hazards are good in general such as Qwilfish, Omastar, and Leavanny, which can set up Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Sticky Web respectively.

Bulk Up
########

Moves
========

First off, Bulk Up boosts Gallade's Attack and Defense simultaneously, making it very hard to take down. Substitute protects Gallade from status like burn and poison, while Drain Punch heals Gallade and acts as a reliable STAB move. Knock Off hits most things that Drain Punch doesn't, while also removing your opposing Pokemon's items.

Set Details
========

The set invests 44 Speed EVs to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar, allowing Gallade to set up safely against both of them without the threat of Toxic. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Special Defense to make Gallade as bulky as possible on the special side. Leftovers is the most appropriate option to for reliable recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Keep Gallade away from status! Never hesitate to set up a Substitute if you can spare the health so that you can worry less about critical hits and status. Don't forget about Whirlwind, Roar, and sound-based moves such as Bug Buzz and Boomburst. Whirlwind and Roar are quite rare, but be wary if your opponent reveals them to you. While sound-based moves are somewhat common, Gallade's bulk usually means that it will never be OHKOed by either move.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock is almost a necessity, as beating Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder becomes far easier with it. As mentioned earlier, Gallade is very weak to status, so a Pokemon to remove Toxic Spikes is absolutely required. An example is Qwilfish which can remove Toxic Spikes, while setting its own and being able to cripple faster opponents with Thunder Wave. Many Pokemon such as Banette are extremely annoying and can prevent Gallade from working to its full potential, so a solid switch-in such as Moltres is recommended. Teammates that can create free turns such as Encore + U-turn Whimsicott can help Gallade set up.

Bulky Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance is Gallade's set up move that allows Gallade to KO the majority of the tier after a boost. Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are the mandatory STAB moves. Knock Off has the best coverage alongside Drain Punch and Psycho Cut, and is especially handy for getting past bulky Ghost-Types. Ice Punch can be used in the last slot to get past Gligar, but misses out on the likes of Doublade, Delphox, and Cresselia.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is to maximize attack so that Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to aid Gallade in setting up. Justified is once again the best ability, and Lum Berry is the best option for Gallade to avoid status.

Usage Tips
========

Try to eliminate Pokemon that counter Gallade such as Braviary, so that Gallade can set up safely. Gallade can also switch into Pokemon such as Cobalion and Slowking to receive a free turn to set up Swords Dance. Gallade is extremely weak to status, so it should avoid them at all costs.

Team Options
========

Being able to eliminate Gallade's counters is important for success. These include Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder, and can be dealt with by setting up Stealth Rock or by luring them with Pokemon such as Volt Switch Cobalion. Encore + U-turn users such as Whimsicott can often create free turns for Gallade to set up. Since Gallade is weak to hyper offensive teams that can overwhelm and beat it, teammates such as Rotom-C and Choice Scarf Delphox are helpful to check most offensive Pokemon.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are the STAB moves of choice for their reliability. A more powerful STAB move option is Close Combat, but the defense drops are undesirable. Gallade has access to many coverage options that can be used in the last two moveslots. Knock Off is useful for weakening opposing walls and hitting Ghost-types such as Doublade. Ice Punch is Gallade's best option against Gligar. Rock Tomb is an option to completely beat Moltres and hit other Flying-types at the same time. Poison Jab is also available to let Gallade eliminate Aromatisse if it is a threat.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is to maximize Attack so that Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to make Gallade bulky. Justified is once again the ability of choice, punishing common users of Dark-types moves, particularly ones that use Dark Pulse such as Clawitzer.

Usage Tips
========

Gallade should be kept healthy because it has no recovery outside of Drain Punch. Unless you wish to sacrifice it, do not challenge healthy physical attackers such as Druddigon, Rhyperior or Escavalier. Predict the switch-ins and use the appropriate coverage move to eliminate them, as nothing can switch safely into this Gallade set.

Team Options
========

Rhyperior is a good teammate for Gallade because it checks Moltres and Braviary, and can set up Stealth Rock which hurts Flying-types that check Gallade. Rhyperior can also act as a physical tank against physical attackers, which Gallade is weak to. Moltres is another great teammate for Gallade because it can absorb Will-O-Wisp as well as check Doublade which is a major threat. Moltres can also remove Spikes and Toxic Spikes which hurt Gallade. Gallade works well alongside any physical cleaner, as it can wallbreak and wear down threats quite well. In general, teammates who are bulkier work well with Gallade.

Other Options
########

Gallade can run a offensive Swords Dance set that bases itself around setting up as soon as possible and start sweeping. Another set Gallade can run is a Choice Band or Choice Scarf set, which capitalizes on Gallade's great coverage and usable speed tier. Gallade can also run a Taunt and Will-O-Wisp stallbreaking set, but Gallade's other sets are for more effective at at this job, and this set is completely stopped by Aromatisse. Gallade can run different moves due to its big movepool such as Zen Headbutt which is a more powerful but less accurate option as compared to Psycho Cut. Gallade can also run Leaf Blade that can be used to hit Alomomola hard. Gallade can also run a specially defensive set, utilizing moves such as Wish and Will-O-Wisp to function as a specially defensive wall or pivot.

Checks & Counters
########

***Flying-types:*** Braviary, Fletchinder, and Moltres are all major threats to Gallade by virtue of their super effective STABs, easily checking all the above sets.

***Toxic Spikes / Toxic:*** With only Drain Punch as recovery, all three sets will be significantly hampered by Toxic Spikes and Toxic.

***Physical Attackers:*** Gallade's low base Defense means that physical attackers can hurt Gallade easily. Gallade cannot take them on unless it has a Substitute up or has accumulated several Bulk Up boosts.

***Burn:*** Gallade is effectively neutered if it gets burnt, so take extra care to make sure it doesn't through switching out or creating Substitutes.

***Doublade:*** Doublade can threaten Gallade with a super effective Shadow Sneak or Shadow Claw, while able to survive most of Gallade's attacks.

addition in blue
deletion in red
Overview
########

Having a Psychic-type STAB making it able to get passed Poison-type walls such as Amoonguss, Gallade is one of the most viable Fighting-types in RU because of its extreme versatility in its sets and its great offensive movepool. Gallade's movepoolIts useful Psychic-typing allows it to bypass the Poison-type walls includ the tier, such as Muk and Amoonguss. Access to boosting moves such as, like Bulk Up,(remove comma) and Swords dDance, makes making Gallade one of the best answers to stall teams. However, Gallade also has a great Base Attack of 125, but falls short in Defense is physically frail with only a Bbase Defense of 65, making Gallade prone to being revenge killed. Another great perk that comes with Gallade i Fortunately, its sky high Attack of 125 and access to a useful ability in Justified makes Gallade a great option to consider on many teams.

Substitute + 3 Attacks
########

Moves
========

The set features , Substitute is the main move which on the set, protecting Gallade from statuses, and preventing it Gallade from being easily revenge killed. As an offensive move, Drain Punch is a mus mandatory STAB that allows Gallade loses HP easily to recover the health lost from Life Orb recoil and the creation of Substitutes. substitutes it also acts as one of Gallade's most effective STAB move. Another STAB move Gallade can use is Zen Headbutt Zen Headbutt is a great STAB move that can 2HKO common Poison-types such as Amoonguss. Another option for a Psychic-type STAB move is However, Psycho Cut is an option for more relia bility but less power. which trades a bit of power f etter accuracy, however the makes a big difference in game. Knock Off allows Gallade to hit 's last move on the set is Knock Off. Knock Off hits Ghost-types,(comma) including such asDoublade and Cofagrigus,(add comma) and also weakens to cripple walls such as Alomomola,(remove comma) and Gligar by removing their items.

Set Details
========

Gallade's EVs are quite self explanatory. The 252 EVs in Attack and Speed help Gallade outspeed and knock out bulky attackers. While l Life Orb maximizes damage and its recoil is mitigated by the recovery from Drain Punch. adds the necessary punch to all of Gallade's attacks and it works well with

Usage Tips
========

Gallade is best sent out against Pokemon it can force out, such as Amoonguss, Slowking, and Cobalion, so that it can easily set up a sSubstitute. However, if you predict that the opponent is going to switch in a counter, such as Cofagrigus or Gligar, use Knock Off instead. againsbvus es to substitutes aren't necessary and, just attack with Knock Off. Although Thanks to Gallade's high Special Defense, it can sweep late game when the opponent's physical attackers have been eliminated. as average speed, removing powerful such as Escavalier, and Doublade helps Gallade set up for a late-game sweep due Try not to sacrifice Gallade unnecessarilycessarily, as it always has another chance at life thanks to the recovery from Drain Punch. its good Special Defense. Also, sinDrain Pch, o of Gallade's main moves, isso a form of recovery. Gallade is often note best Pokemon to sac, because Gallade can easily restore health with

Team Options
========

Moltres and Zangoose are great partners to for Gallade because of their abilities to soften up to break down walls,(remove comma) that Gallade may have trouble with. Since Gallade forces many switches, entry hazard support is extremely welcome. Stealth Rock is extremely near mandatory, seeing that encouraged, especially when many of Gallade's best checks,(addcomma) such as Braviary,(comma) and Moltres,(addcomma) are weak to it. On the same note However, Gallade is vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes which can quickly wear Gallade it down, especially in conjunction with Life Orb damage, so a Pokemon that can remove hazards is essential. Pokemon who that set up hazards are good in general such as Qwilfish, Omastar, and Leavanny, which who can set up Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Sticky Web respectively.

Bulk Up
########

Moves
========

First off, Bulk Up,(comma) boosts Gallade's set up move, is to boost its Attack and Defense simultaneously, making Gallade it very hard to take down. Being weak to statuses such as Burn, and Poison, Substitute protects Gallade from status like burn and poison, while Drain Punch heals Gallade and acts as a reliable STAB move. Knock Off on the other hand hits most things that Drain Punch doesn't, while also removing your opposing Pokemon's items.

Set Details
========

The set invests 44 Speed EVs to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar, allowing Gallade to set up safely against both of them without the threat of Toxic. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Special Defense to make making Gallade as bulky as possible on the Sspecial Defense side. No other item would fit as well as Leftovers which lets Gallade' passively health Leftovers is the most appropriate option to for reliable recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Keep Gallade away from status! Never hesitate to set up a Substitute if you can spare the health so that you can worry less about critical hits and status. Don't forget about Whirlwind, Roar, and sound-based moves such as Bug Buzz and Boomburst. Whirlwind and Roar are quite rare, but be wary if your opponent reveals them to you. While sound-based moves are somewhat common, but Gallade's bulk usually means that it will never be OHKO'ed by either move.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock is almost a necessity, as beating Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder becomes far easier with it up. As mentioned earlier, Gallade is very weak to status, so a Pokemon to remove Toxic Spikes is absolutely required. Two layers of Toxic Spikes will almost certainly ruin Gallade. An example of this could be Qwilfish which can remove Toxic Spikes, while setting its own and being able to cripple faster opponents with Thunder Wave. Many Pokemon such as Banette is are extremely annoying and can prevent Gallade from working to its full potential, so a solid switch-in such as Moltres is recommended. Teammates that can create free turns such as Encore + U-turn Whimsicott can help Gallade set up.

Bulky Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance is Gallade's set up move that allows Gallade to KO everything once set up the majority of the tier after a boost. Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are Gallade's the mandatory STAB moves, that have no downsides to them. Knock Off has the best coverage alongside Drain Punch and Psycho Cut, and is especially handy for getting past bulky Ghost-Types. Last but not least, Ice Punch can be used in the last slot as it allowed Gallade to get past Gligar. Although, with Ice Punch, Gallade cannot hit but misses out on the likes of Doublade, Delphox, and Cresselia.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is to maximize out attack so that Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to aid Gallade in setting up. Justified is once again the best ability, and Lum Berry is the best option for Gallade to avoid status. because it allows Gallade to set up anhelps against

Usage Tips
========

Try to knock out eliminate Pokemon that counter Gallade such as Briavary Braviary, so that Gallade is can set up safely. to set up, or Gallade can also switch into -in on Pokemon such as Cobalion,(comma) and Slowking to receive a free turn to set up Swords Dance. with Gallade Once again Gallade is extremely weak to status, so it should avoid them at all costs. and even tgh Gallade is carrying a Lum Berry, it is only carrying ONE

Team Options
========

Being able to eliminate knock out Pokemon th counter Gallade's counters is important for success. is huge for Gallade to beful. Pokemon such as These include Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder, and can be dealt with ll counter Gallade. The simplest way to these Pokemon are by setting up Stealth Rock,(comma) or by luring them se troublesome attackers with Pokemon such as Volt Switch Cobalion. Seeing that Gallade needs turns to set up, Encore + U-turn users such as Whimsicott can often create free turns for Gallade to set up. Taunt users are a pain to Gallade, making Gallade not able to set up. Also Since Gallade is weak to hyper offensive teams that can overwhelm and beat it, so teammates such as Rotom-C and Choice Scarf Delphox can easily are helpful to check most offensive Pokemon.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are the STAB moves of choice for healing and reliability. due to its ability to heal itself and its accuracy and reliability, respectively. nother option for a A more powerful STAB move option is CLlose Combat which is a more powerful option than Drain Punch, but the defense drops are highly detrimental undesirable. Gallade has access a variety of to many coverage move options that it can be used in the last two moveslots. such which Knock Off is useful for weakening opposing walls,(comma) and hitting hits Ghost-types such as Doublade. Ice Punch is Gallade's best option against Gligar. Rock Tomb seems like dd choice, but it allows Gallade is an option to completely beat Moltres,(comma) and hit other Flying-types at the same time. which, although Ice Punch can hit other Flying-types as well. Finally, Poison Jab is also available to let Gallade eliminate Aromatisse if it is a threat. another choice because it lets take out 's particularly troubling

Set Details
========

The EV spread is to maximize Attack max out so that Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to make Gallade somewhat bulky. Justified is once again the ability of choice, punishing common users of Dark-types moves, particularly ones that use Dark Pulse such as Clawitzer.

Usage Tips
========

Gallade should be kept relatively healthy because it has no recovery outside of Drain Punch. , and u Unless you are preparing wish to sacrifice it, do not take on challenge healthy physical , powerful attackers such as Druddigon, Rhyperior or Escavalier. Or Predict the switch-ins and use the at Gallade is fairly straightforward. Use prediction skills for switches appropriate coverage move to eliminate them, as nothing can switch safely into this Gallade set. many Pokemon .afely switch in on this Gallade set, and most can be dealt with (or at least crippled) by the right move.

Team Options
========

Rhyperior is a good teammate to for Gallade because it checks Moltres and Braviary, it and can set up Stealth Rock which hurts Flying-types that check Gallade. Rhyperior can also act as a physical tank against physical attackers, which Gallade is weak to. Moltres is another great teammate for Gallade because it can absorb Will-oO-Wisp as well as checking Doublade which is a major threat to Gallade. Moltres can also act as a hazard remover for Spikes and Toxic Spikes making which hurt Gallade.'s lifespan significantly longer Gallade can works well alongside any physical cleaner, as Gallade it can wallbreak and wear down threats quite well. In general, teammates who are bulkier work well with Gallade.

Other Options
########

Gallade can run a offensive Swords Dance set that bases itself around setting up as soon as possible and start sweeping. Another set Gallade can run is a Choice Band or Choice Scarf set, both of which capitalizes can be used to some effect, capitalizing on Gallade's great coverage and usable speed tier. Gallade can also run a Taunt and Will-oO-Wisp stallbreaking set, but Gallade's other sets are for more effective at this job, stallbreaking, not to mention that and this set is completely stopped by Aromatisse. Gallade can run different moves due to its big movepool such as Zen Headbutt which is a more powerful but less accurate option as compared to Psycho Cut. nother option for Psycho Cut. Zen Head butt i a stronger but slightly unreliable STAB move. If Gligar is causing troubles for your team, running Ice Punch on Gallade is not a bad idea Gallade can also run Leaf Blade that can be used to hit Alomomola hard. On the defensive side, Gallade can also run a specially defensive set, utilizing moves such as Wish and Will-oO-Wisp to function as a specially defensive wall or pivot.

Checks & Counters
########

***Flying-types:*** Braviary, Fletchinder, and Moltres are all major threats to Gallade by virtue of their super effective STABs, easily checking all the above sets. three variants

***Physical Attackers:*** Gallade's low base dDefense means that physical attackers can hurt Gallade easily. have an easy time checking it. is unlikely to win a 1v1 against most of Gallade cannot take them on unless it has a Substitute up or has accumulated several Bulk Up boosts.

***Burn:*** Gallade is basically effectively neutered if it gets burnt, so take extra care to make sure it doesn't through switching out or creating Substitutes.

***Doublade:*** Doublade can threaten Gallade with a super effective Shadow Sneak orShadow Claw, while able to survive most of Gallade's attacks. isn't necessarily a counter, but it isn't something to undestimate either as it can threaten a a

Last edited:

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
amcheck v3
Overview
########

Gallade is one of the most viable Fighting-types in RU because of its extreme versatility and its great offensive movepool. Its useful Psychic- typing allows it to bypass the Poison-type walls in the tier, such as Muk and Amoonguss. Access to boosting moves, like Bulk Up and Swords Dance, makes Gallade one of the best answers to stall teams. However, Gallade is physically frail with only a base Defense of 65, making Galladeit prone to being revenge killed. Fortunately, its sky high Attack of 125 and access to a useful ability in Justified makes Gallade a great option to consider on many teams.

Substitute + 3 Attacks
########

Moves
========

Substitute is the main move on the set, protecting Gallade from status and preventing it from being easily revenge killed. Drain Punch is mandatory STAB that allows Gallade to recover the health lost from Life Orb recoil and the creation of Substitutes. Zen Headbutt is a great STAB move that can 2HKO common Poison-types such as Amoonguss. However, Psycho Cut is an option for more reliability but less power. Knock Off allows Gallade to hit Ghost-types, including Doublade and Cofagrigus, and to cripple walls, such as Alomomola and Gligar, by removing their items.

Set Details
========

The 252 EVs in Attack and Speed help Gallade outspeed and knock out bulky attackers. Life Orb maximizes damage and its recoil is mitigated by the recovery from Drain Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Gallade is best sent out against Pokemon it can force out, such as Amoonguss, Slowking, and Cobalion, so that it can easily set up a Substitute. However, if you predict that the opponent is going to switch in a counter, such as Cofagrigus or Gligar, use Knock Off instead. Thanks to Gallade's high Special Defense, it can sweep late -game when the opponent's physical attackers have been eliminated. Try not to sacrifice Gallade unnecessarily, as it always has another chance at life thanks to the recovery from Drain Punch.

Team Options
========

Moltres and Zangoose are great partners for Gallade toas they can break down walls that Gallade may have trouble with. Since Gallade forces many switches, entry hazard support is extremely welcome. Stealth Rock is extremehighly encouraged, especially when many of Gallade's best checks, such as Braviary and Moltres, are weak to it. However, Gallade is vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes which can quickly wear it down, so a Pokemon that can remove hazards is essential. Pokemon that set up hazards are good in general, such as Qwilfish, Omastar, and Leavanny, which can set up Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Sticky Web respectively.

Bulk Up
########

Moves
========

First off, Bulk Up boosts Gallade's Attack and Defense simultaneously, making it very hard to take down. Substitute protects Gallade from status like burn and poison, while Drain Punch heals Gallade and acts as a reliable STAB move. Knock Off hits most things that Drain Punch doesn't, while also removing yourthe opposing Pokemon's items.

Set Details
========

The set invests 44 Speed EVs in order to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar, allowing Gallade to set up safely against both of them without the threat of Toxic. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Special Defense to make Gallade as bulky as possible on the special side. Leftovers is the most appropriate option to for reliable recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Keep Gallade away from status! Never hesitate to set up a Substitute if you can spare the health so that you can worry less about critical hits and status. Don't forget about Whirlwind, Roar, and sound-based moves such as Bug Buzz and Boomburst, as they all bypass Gallade's Substitutes. Whirlwind and Roar are quite rare, but be wary if your opponent reveals them to you. While sound-based moves are somewhat common, Gallade's bulk usually means that it will never be OHKOed by either move.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock is almost a necessity, as beating Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder becomes far easier with it. As mentioned earlier, Gallade is very weak to status, so a Pokemon tohat can remove Toxic Spikes is absolutely required. An example is Qwilfish which can remove Toxic Spikes, while setting its own and being able to cripple faster opponents with Thunder Wave. Many Pokemon such as Banette are extremely annoying and can prevent Gallade from working to its full potential, so a solid switch-in such as Moltres is recommended. Teammates that can create free turns such as Encore + U-turn Whimsicott can help Gallade set up.

Bulky Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance is Gallade's set up move that allows Galladeit to KO the majority of the tier after a boost. Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are the mandatory STAB moves. Knock Off has the best coverage alongside Drain Punch and Psycho Cut, and is especially handy for getting past bulky Ghost-Ttypes. Ice Punch can be used in the last slot to get past Gligar, but Gallade misses out on the likes ofhitting Doublade, Delphox, and Cresselia for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is made to maximize aAttack so that Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to aid Gallade in setting up. Justified is once again the best ability, and Lum Berry is the best option for Gallade to avoid status.

Usage Tips
========

Try to eliminate Pokemon that counter Gallade, such as Braviary, so that Gallade can set up safely. Gallade can also switch into Pokemon such as Cobalion and Slowking to receive a free turn in order to set up Swords Dance. Gallade is extremely weak to status, so it should avoid them at all costs.

Team Options
========

Being able to eliminate Gallade's counters is important for success. These include Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder, and can be dealt with by setting up Stealth Rock or by luring them with Pokemon such as Volt Switch Cobalion. Encore + U-turn users, such as Whimsicott, can often create free turns for Gallade to set up. Since Gallade is weak to hyper offensive teams that can overwhelm and beat it, teammates such as Rotom-C and Choice Scarf Delphox are helpful to check most offensive Pokemon.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are the STAB moves of choice for their reliability. A more powerful STAB move option is Close Combat, but the defense drops are undesirable. Gallade has access to many coverage options that can be used in the last two moveslots. Knock Off is useful for weakening opposing walls and hitting Ghost-types such as Doublade., however, Ice Punch is Gallade's best option against Gligar. Rock Tomb is an option to completely beat Moltres and hit other Flying-types at the same time. Poison Jab is also available to let Gallade eliminate Aromatisse if it is a threat.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is to maximizes Attack so that Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to make Gallade bulky. Justified is once again the ability of choice, punishing common users of Dark-types moves, particularly ones like Clawitzer that use Dark Pulse such as Clawitzer.

Usage Tips
========

Gallade should be kept healthy because it has no recovery outside of Drain Punch. Unless you wish to sacrifice it, do not challenge healthy physical attackers such as Druddigon, Rhyperior or Escavalier. Predict the switch-ins and use the appropriate coverage move to eliminate them, as nothing can switch safely into this Gallade set.

Team Options
========

Rhyperior is a good teammate for Gallade because it checks Moltres and Braviary, and can set up Stealth Rock, which hurts Flying-types that check Gallade. Rhyperior can also act as a physical tank against physical attackers, which Gallade is weak to. Moltres is another great teammate for Gallade because it can absorb Will-O-Wisp as well as check Doublade which is a major threat. Moltres can also remove Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which hurt Gallade. Gallade works well alongside any physical cleaner, as it can wallbreak and wear down threats quite well. In general, teammates who are bulkier work well with Gallade.

Other Options
########

Gallade can run a offensive Swords Dance set that bases itself around setting up as soon as possible and start sweeping. Another set Gallade can run is a Choice Band or Choice Scarf set, which capitalizes on Gallade's great coverage and usable speed tier. Gallade can also run a Taunt and Will-O-Wisp stallbreaking set, but Gallade's other sets are foar more effective at at this job, and nothis set is completely stopped by Aromatisse. Gallade can run different moves due to its big movepool such as, an example being Zen Headbutt, which is a more powerful but less accurate option as compared to Psycho Cut. Gallade can also run Leaf Blade that can be usedin order to hit Alomomola hard. Gallade can also run a specially defensive set, utilizing moves such as Wish and Will-O-Wisp to function as a specially defensive wall or pivot.

Checks & Counters
########

***Flying-types:*** Braviary, Fletchinder, and Moltres are all major threats to Gallade by virtue of their super effective STABs, easily checking all the above sets.

***Physical Attackers:*** Gallade's low base Defense means that physical attackers can hurt Gallade easily. Gallade cannot take them on unless it has a Substitute up or has accumulated several Bulk Up boosts.

***Burn:*** Gallade is effectively neutered if it gets burnt, so take extra care to make sure it doesn't through switching out or creating Substitutes.

***Doublade:*** Doublade can threaten Gallade with a super effective Shadow Sneak or Shadow Claw, while able tond survive most of Gallade's attacks.
Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

Overview
########

Gallade is one of the most viable Fighting-types in RU because of its extreme versatility and its great offensive movepool. Its useful Psychic typing allows it to bypass the Poison-type walls in the tier, such as Muk and Amoonguss. Access to boosting moves, like Bulk Up and Swords Dance, makes Gallade one of the best answers to stall teams. However, Gallade is physically frail with only a base Defense of 65, making it prone to being revenge killed. Fortunately, its sky high Attack of 125 and access to a useful ability in Justified makes Gallade a great option to consider on many teams.

Substitute + 3 Attacks
########

Moves
========

Substitute is the main move on the set, protecting Gallade from status and preventing it from being easily revenge killed. Drain Punch is mandatory STAB that allows Gallade to recover the health lost from Life Orb recoil and the creation of Substitutes. Zen Headbutt is a great STAB move that can 2HKO common Poison-types such as Amoonguss. However, Psycho Cut is an option for more reliability but less power. Knock Off allows Gallade to hit Ghost-types, including Doublade and Cofagrigus, and cripple walls, such as Alomomola and Gligar, by removing their items.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Gallade is best sent out against Pokemon it can force out, such as Amoonguss, Slowking, and Cobalion, so that it can easily set up a Substitute. However, if you predict that the opponent is going to switch in a counter, such as Cofagrigus or Gligar, use Knock Off instead. Thanks to Gallade's high Special Defense, it can sweep late-game when the opponent's physical attackers have been eliminated. Try not to sacrifice Gallade unnecessarily, as it always has another chance at life thanks to the recovery from Drain Punch.

Team Options
========

Moltres and Zangoose are great partners for Gallade as they can break down walls that Gallade may have trouble with. Since Gallade forces many switches, entry hazard support is extremely welcome. Stealth Rock is highly encouraged, especially when many of Gallade's best checks, such as Braviary and Moltres, are weak to it. However, Gallade is vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes which can quickly wear it down, so a Pokemon that can remove hazards is essential. Pokemon that set up hazards are good in general, such as Qwilfish, Omastar, and Leavanny, which can set up Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Sticky Web respectively.

Bulk Up
########

Moves
========

First off, Bulk Up boosts Gallade's Attack and Defense simultaneously, making it very hard to take down. Substitute protects Gallade from status like burn and poison, while Drain Punch heals Gallade and acts as a reliable STAB move. Knock Off hits most things that Drain Punch doesn't, while also removing the opposing Pokemon's items.

Set Details
========

The set invests 44 Speed EVs in order to outspeed Cresselia and Gligar, allowing Gallade to set up safely against both of them without the threat of Toxic. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Special Defense to make Gallade as bulky as possible on the special side. Leftovers is the most appropriate option for reliable recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Keep Gallade away from status! Never hesitate to set up a Substitute if you can spare the health so that you can worry less about critical hits and status. Don't forget about Whirlwind, Roar, and sound-based moves such as Bug Buzz and Boomburst, as they all bypass Gallade's Substitutes. Whirlwind and Roar are quite rare, but be wary if your opponent reveals them to you. While sound-based moves are somewhat common, Gallade's bulk usually means that it will never be OHKOed by either move.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock is almost a necessity, as beating Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder becomes far easier with it. As mentioned earlier, Gallade is very weak to status, so a Pokemon that can remove Toxic Spikes is absolutely required. An example is Qwilfish which can remove Toxic Spikes, while setting its own and being able to cripple faster opponents with Thunder Wave. Many Pokemon such as Banette are extremely annoying and can prevent Gallade from working to its full potential, so a solid switch-in such as Moltres is recommended. Teammates that can create free turns such as Encore + U-turn Whimsicott can help Gallade set up.

Bulky Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance is Gallade's set up move that allows it to KO the majority of the tier after a boost. Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are the mandatory STAB moves. Knock Off has the best coverage alongside Drain Punch and Psycho Cut, and is especially handy for getting past bulky Ghost-types. Ice Punch can be used in the last slot to get past Gligar, but Gallade misses out on hitting Doublade, Delphox, and Cresselia for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is made to maximize Attack so that Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to aid Gallade in setting up. Justified is once again the best ability, and Lum Berry is the best option for Gallade to avoid status.

Usage Tips
========

Try to eliminate Pokemon that counter Gallade, such as Braviary, so that Gallade can set up safely. Gallade can also switch into Pokemon such as Cobalion and Slowking to receive a free turn in order to set up Swords Dance. Gallade is extremely weak to status, so it should avoid them at all costs.

Team Options
========

Being able to eliminate Gallade's counters is important for success. These include Moltres, Braviary, and Fletchinder, and can be dealt with by setting up Stealth Rock or by luring them with Pokemon such as Volt Switch Cobalion. Encore + U-turn users, such as Whimsicott, can often create free turns for Gallade to set up. Since Gallade is weak to hyper offensive teams that can overwhelm and beat it, teammates such as Rotom-C and Choice Scarf Delphox are helpful to check most offensive Pokemon.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Drain Punch and Psycho Cut are the STAB moves of choice for their reliability. A more powerful STAB move option is Close Combat, but the defense drops are undesirable. Gallade has access to many coverage options that can be used in the last two moveslots. Knock Off is useful for weakening opposing walls and hitting Ghost-types such as Doublade, however, Ice Punch is Gallade's best option against Gligar. Rock Tomb is an option to completely beat Moltres and hit other Flying-types at the same time. Poison Jab is also available to let Gallade eliminate Aromatisse if it is a threat.

Set Details
========

The EV spread maximizes Attack so that Gallade can hit as hard as possible, while the 44 Speed EVs help Gallade outspeed Cresselia and Gligar. The rest of the EVs are put into HP to make Gallade bulky. Justified is once again the ability of choice, punishing common users of Dark-type moves, particularly ones like Clawitzer that use Dark Pulse.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Rhyperior is a good teammate for Gallade because it checks Moltres and Braviary, and can set up Stealth Rock, which hurts Flying-types that check Gallade. Rhyperior can also act as a physical tank against physical attackers, which Gallade is weak to. Moltres is another great teammate for Gallade because it can absorb Will-O-Wisp as well as check Doublade. Moltres can also remove Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which hurt Gallade. Gallade works well alongside any physical cleaner, as it can wallbreak and wear down threats quite well. In general, teammates who are bulkier work well with Gallade.

Other Options
########

Gallade can run a offensive Swords Dance set that bases itself around setting up as soon as possible and start sweeping. Another set Gallade can run is a Choice Band or Choice Scarf set, which capitalizes on Gallade's great coverage and usable speed tier. Gallade can also run a Taunt and Will-O-Wisp stallbreaking set, but Gallade's other sets are far more effective at at this job and not completely stopped by Aromatisse. Gallade can run different moves due to its big movepool, an example being Zen Headbutt, which is a more powerful but less accurate option to Psycho Cut. Gallade can also run Leaf Blade in order to hit Alomomola hard. Gallade can also run a specially defensive set, utilizing moves such as Wish and Will-O-Wisp to function as a specially defensive wall or pivot.

Checks & Counters
########

***Doublade:*** Doublade can threaten Gallade with a super effective Shadow Sneak or Shadow Claw and survive most of Gallade's attacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)