move 1: Sticky Webs
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Bug Buzz
move 4: Volt Switch/Electrowebs/String Shot
item: Focus Sash
ability: Compound Eyes / Swarm
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Galvantula is the premier Sticky Webs setter of this generation, with a solid Speed tier, good Special Attack, and the ability to pivot with Volt Switch. While “Webs” has its limitations this generation, particularly with Clear Body Dragapult and Excadrill being two of the biggest threats of the metagame, Galvantula's higher offensive stats and somewhat useful attacking STAB types still give it a strong niche as a "Webs" lead.

Outside of its capability to set Sticky Webs, Galvantula also can effectively cripple other Pokemon with Thunder Wave. While other slow down options are possible, Thunder Wave has a variety of targets, excluding Ground and Electric types, such as Dragapult, which cannot have its stats lowered if running Clear Body.

Bug Buzz is Galvantula's offensive STAB of choice, allowing it to hit Ground types decently well and rounding out coverage. It also goes through Substitute, which can be useful for attacking Pokemon who wish to set up themselves as you set up Sticky Web.

Finally, Volt Switch allows Galvantula to serve as a fast pivot, bringing in teammates to take advantage of the Webs and the chip Galvantula provides. If saving Galvantula isn't needed, Electroweb is the best option for breaking Focus Sash or Disguise, weakening foes while also slowing them down, either forcing a switch into Stick Webs later or leaving them vulnerable to a revenge kill. String Shot can be used if your team is particularly weak to Excadrill or other Ground types, allowing you to slow down Excadrill and break Focus Sash with Bug Buzz before fainting.

Compound Eyes is the primary ability choice, to guarantee Thunder Wave and Electrowebs hit. However, with a Focus Sash and weak bulk, it is easy to activate Swarm, allowing Galvantula to fire off strong Bug Buzzes before fainting.

All in all, while the "Webs" archetype at the moment has hard match ups against many popular metagame threats, Galvantula gives teams the opportunity to make the most of a drop in speed, allowing the most potent wallbreakers/sweepers to outspeed other pokemon in many instances. Popular teammates include Choice Band Darmanitan or Choice Band Dracovish, Choice Specs Indeedee-M, Life Orb Durant, and other potent wallbreakers that appreciate the speed control on the ground. Teammates to check opponents that ignore Sticky Webs, such as Togekiss, Dragapult and Gyarados should also be mentioned, such as Choice Specs Rotom-W.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I guess we can give this a QC. It's pretty much what it can do. But I really don't like Volt Switch on a suicide lead (what are you saving Galvantula for?) and Webs is bad in general, but there's I suppose no point in wasting work done. I would think Thunder or even the other Electroweb / String Shot is the better attack over Volt Switch, but I guess that is up for debate as well.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I guess we can give this a QC. It's pretty much what it can do. But I really don't like Volt Switch on a suicide lead (what are you saving Galvantula for?) and Webs is bad in general, but there's I suppose no point in wasting work done. I would think Thunder or even the other Electroweb / String Shot is the better attack over Volt Switch, but I guess that is up for debate as well.
I also feel like T-wave has become pretty standard and should be the primary choice of those. In place of Volt Switch, you could definitely use Electrowebs or String Shot and moved the slashes to there, although I prefer Volt Switch because its always nice to preserve a semi-strong attacker and get in better matchups, but either could work.

Wouldn't Swarm be better? I don't think the set has any inaccurate moves, and with a Focus Sash, it should activate Swarm, right?

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Wouldn't Swarm be better? I don't think the set has any inaccurate moves, and with a Focus Sash, it should activate Swarm, right?
Compound Eyes guarantees Thunder Wave and Electrowebs to hit. I suppose Swarm is usable though, so I'll slash it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)