NU Garbodor

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet / Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Def / 176 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Stomping Tantrum / Toxic / Corrosive Gas
- Pain Split / Corrosive Gas

Gross...What's that smell Face with Open Mouth Vomiting Emoji (emojipedia.org)? Ah yes, it's the literal trash Pokemon, Garbodor. No wonder it's NeverUsed. Its viability comes from setting Spikes and checking Pokemon like Sirfetch'd and Copperajah thanks to its large defensive bulk and Rocky Helmet + Aftermath, allowing it to punish physical attackers. Stomping Tantrum helps against Steel- and Poison-types like Copperajah and Toxicroak. Toxic or Corrosive Gas can be used over Stomping Tantrum to deal with switch-ins like Mudsdale and Bronzong, respectively. Alternatively, Corrosive Gas can be used over Pain Split but requires Black Sludge for longevity. The given EV spread maximizes Pain Split recovery while also letting Garbodor outspeed Adamant Sirfetch'd and Jolly Machamp. Pokemon like Tauros and Glastrier appreciate Spikes support from Garbodor, as it allows them to wallbreak more easily. Teammates like Rotom-C, Levitate Bronzong, and Talonflame can check Ground-types like Flygon, Golurk, and Mudsdale. I guess this Pokemon isn't trash after all.

Here is a replay showcasing Garbodor from the NU Premier League IX: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nu-560520

Last edited:

roxie

is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
mk question, actually thinking about this set, is there a reason why Pain Split is all the way at the last moveset. I find Rocky Helmet + Pain Split pretty useful especially since it's not getting any recovery whatsoever if it's just using Rocky Helmet and no split. Corrosive Gas just feels like a 3rd slot (or just removing) especially since it's usually being paired with a Knock Off user like Scrafty or Guzzlord. I also think that Psychic should be slashed 2nd on the tantrum but doesn't necessarily need to be mentioned if I run out of room perhaps?

Tagging QC for input: Rabia S1nn0hC0nfirm3d poh

EDIT: set adjusted through PS pms

Last edited:

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Gross...What's that smell [Insert this Emoji: Face with Open Mouth Vomiting Emoji (emojipedia.org)]? Ah yes, it's the literal trash Pokemon, Garbodor, no wonder it's Neverused. Its viability comes from layering Spikes and checking prominent Fighting-types like Sirfetch'd and Passimian thanks to its large defensive bulk and Rocky Helmet + Aftermath, allowing it to punish contact moves (change this to physical attackers generally and replace the Pass mention to something more relevant). To no one's surprise, Garbodor shoots filthy garbage to super effectively hit foes like Rotom-C and Sylveon and neutrally target Pokemon like Glastrier and Guzzlord (STAB moves don’t need a sentence). Stomping Tantrum helps against Steel- and Poison-types like Copperajah, Heatproof Bronzong, and Toxicroak. Toxic or Corrosive Gas can be used over Stomping Tantrum to deal with switchins like Mudsdale and Bronzong, respectfully. Alternatively, Corrosive Gas can be used over Pain Split but requires Black Sludge for longevity. The given EV spread maximizes Pain Split recovery while also outspeeding Adamant Sirfetch'd and Jolly Machamp. It turns out this Pokemon is actually not trash...well it is..ok never mind. (Try to condense the last part here of the set detail section. I went over in DMs how you could do these slashes concisely. There’s also a lack of teammates like what actually wants Spikes support or Fetch switch-ins. Try to prioritize these points before the garbage puns or the reader won’t get a good idea why Garb is useful in the current meta.)

Here is a replay showcasing Garbodor from the Neverused Premier League IX: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nu-560520
I’ll give this one last, quick look after the implementation.

roxie

(change this to physical attackers generally and replace the Pass mention to something more relevant)
I didn't want to say physical attackers because something like Comfey also makes contact with Rocky Helmet, the ability also says that its for contact moves in general. I also look at other common stuff like Flygon with EQ or even Poltergeist users, I really felt like contact is a less broad term, adding the rest
1623177564394.png

Last edited:

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
I didn't want to say physical attackers because something like Comfey also makes contact with Rocky Helmet, the ability also says that its for contact moves in general. I also look at other common stuff like Flygon with EQ or even Poltergeist users, I really felt like contact is a less broad term, adding the rest
View attachment 348030
I meant Garb as a physical wall, as in it checks physical attackers. You could also say it checks Fairy-types if you wanted to allude the niche Comfey set but otherwise the point was to broaden Garb's purpose as not just a Fighting-type switch-in.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
Looks great, sorry for the delay! Just in the penultimate sentence, change "Ground immunes" to "Teammates" to correlate the point better + you later call them checks to the Ground-types anyways.
QC 1/1!

Mariannabelle

chill guy
AM CHECK
add suggestion
remove
[comment]

Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Gross...What's that smell Face with Open Mouth Vomiting Emoji (emojipedia.org) ? Ah yes, it's the literal trash Pokemon, Garbodor,. No wonder it's NeverUsed. [<- Separate into two sentences] Its viability comes from layering Spikes and checking Pokemon like Sirfetch'd and Copperajah thanks to its large defensive bulk and Rocky Helmet + Aftermath, allowing it to punish physical attackers. [<- This phrase is a bit redundant; after all, you already mentioned that it checks Sirfetch'd and Copperajah.] Stomping Tantrum helps against Steel- and Poison-types like Copperajah and Toxicroak. Toxic or Corrosive Gas can be used over Stomping Tantrum to deal with switchins like Mudsdale and Bronzong, respectively. Alternatively, Corrosive Gas can be used over Pain Split but requires Black Sludge for longevity. The given EV spread maximizes Pain Split recovery while also outspeeding letting Garbodor outspeed Adamant Sirfetch'd and Jolly Machamp. Pokemon like Tauros and Glastrier appreciate the Spikes Garbodor sets, as they allow them to wallbreak easier more easily. Teammates like Rotom-C, Levitate Bronzong, and Talonflame can check Ground-types like Flygon, Golurk, and Mudsdale. I guess this Pokemon isn’t trash after all.

Here is a replay showcasing Garbodor from the NeverUsed [Check caps of previous as well] Premier League IX: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nu-560520

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
AM CHECK
add suggestion
remove
[comment]

Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Gross...What's that smell Face with Open Mouth Vomiting Emoji (emojipedia.org) ? Ah yes, it's the literal trash Pokemon, Garbodor,. No wonder it's NeverUsed. [<- Separate into two sentences] Its viability comes from layering Spikes and checking Pokemon like Sirfetch'd and Copperajah thanks to its large defensive bulk and Rocky Helmet + Aftermath, allowing it to punish physical attackers. [<- This phrase is a bit redundant; after all, you already mentioned that it checks Sirfetch'd and Copperajah.] Stomping Tantrum helps against Steel- and Poison-types like Copperajah and Toxicroak. Toxic or Corrosive Gas can be used over Stomping Tantrum to deal with switchins like Mudsdale and Bronzong, respectively. Alternatively, Corrosive Gas can be used over Pain Split but requires Black Sludge for longevity. The given EV spread maximizes Pain Split recovery while also outspeeding letting Garbodor outspeed Adamant Sirfetch'd and Jolly Machamp. Pokemon like Tauros and Glastrier appreciate the Spikes Garbodor sets, as they allow them to wallbreak easier more easily. Teammates like Rotom-C, Levitate Bronzong, and Talonflame can check Ground-types like Flygon, Golurk, and Mudsdale. I guess this Pokemon isn’t trash after all.

Here is a replay showcasing Garbodor from the NeverUsed [Check caps of previous as well] Premier League IX: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nu-560520
Unfortunately we no longer allow GP amchecks on Social Media Spotlights anymore (refer here), though we appreciate the effort! Alternatively, you're welcome to try your hand at amchecking C&C analyses instead! Feel free to DM me on Discord (deetah#5572) for feedback with GPing and myself or another official GPer would be happy to go over your amchecks.

roxiee Feel free to implement what you wish from this and I'd be glad to give it an official check afterwards.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments
Borrowed a few suggestions from Mariannabelle.

GP 1/1

Klee_Stamp.gif

Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Gross...What's that smell Face with Open Mouth Vomiting Emoji (emojipedia.org) ? Ah yes, it's the literal trash Pokemon, Garbodor. (Period) No wonder it's Neverused NeverUsed. Its viability comes from layering setting Spikes and checking Pokemon like Sirfetch'd and Copperajah thanks to its large defensive bulk and Rocky Helmet + Aftermath, allowing it to punish physical attackers. Stomping Tantrum helps against Steel- and Poison-types like Copperajah and Toxicroak. Toxic or Corrosive Gas can be used over Stomping Tantrum to deal with switchins switch-ins like Mudsdale and Bronzong, respectively. Alternatively, Corrosive Gas can be used over Pain Split but requires Black Sludge for longevity. The given EV spread maximizes Pain Split recovery while also outspeeding letting Garbodor outspeed Adamant Sirfetch'd and Jolly Machamp. Pokemon like Tauros and Glastrier appreciate the Spikes support from Garbodor sets, as they allow it allows them to wallbreak easier more easily. Teammates like Rotom-C, Levitate Bronzong, and Talonflame can check Ground-types like Flygon, Golurk, and Mudsdale. I guess this Pokemon isn’t isn't (ASCII apostrophe) trash after all.

Here is a replay showcasing Garbodor from the Neverused NU Premier League IX: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nu-560520

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)