Pokémon Gardevoir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of other megas got boosts in useless stats. Pinsir's got a SpA boost, for example.

I imagine it's to avoid making it too broken, given that almost all of them have stuck to a +100 BST rule.
Hence the "I'm holding out hope against hope part". It's not going to happen, but I can still hope...

There is a HUGE difference between non stab shadow sneak and semi-decent stab move. I had in mind a pseudo mixed set on Garde. Obviously I do not want an all physical set.
Shadow Sneak exists on Gardevoir, and Quick Attack does not. Anyway, Gardevoir already has mixed capabilities, and both Shadow Sneak and Quick Attack are both very insignificant when put against Psyshock, so there really isn't that big of a comparison between the two. Yes, Quick Attack would receive a STAB Pixilate boost, but it's still left with a low BP for the stat that would be using it.

Gardevoir typically runs either Modest or Timid; she can't take a negative influence on her already low defenses, so that means that Attack has to take the hit. On top of that, she really can't spare any EVs to go into attack, and certainly not enough to make a difference. Therefore, if you want priority, or if you want to make use of that attack boost, you might as well use Shadow Sneak, for all the good it would do, even if she did get Quick Attack. My point was, she does not want to give up either Hyper Voice, Psyshock, Focus Blast, or Taunt/Will-o-Wisp, to take on a low powered priority move that's going to be further hampered by the logistics of the stats that she's going to need to perform her role.

Psyshock provides coverage on the physical side, without having to split her stats or to worry about burn. A physical set is literally the only time she should be using a physical move, and physical sets are gimmicks, only. Anyway, for comparison's sake:

0- Atk Mega Gardevoir Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 29-35 (7.5 - 9.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0- Atk Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 57-67 (14.8 - 17.4%) -- possible 6HKO

Not that huge, unless you're going for the niche victory.

Last edited:
You could use Shadow Sneak, for all the good it would do. She wants to have the attacking options she has now, however, so unless you want to build an altogether physical set for her, that would be the only, non-gimmick, way to really utilize that attack boost. If you did that, though, not only would it be a huge waste, but you might as well use Gallade instead.

Personally, I'm just holding out the hope against hope that when they go in to rectify the error in M-Alakazam's stat boosts, they realize just what they've done to her, as well, by giving her that absolutely useless stat boost in attack, and do something to fix it.
Alakazam got a +10 buff to Special Defense in Gen VI, which is the reason M-Alakazam only appears to have +90 BST from normal Alakazam. Game Freak decided to use Alakazam's Gen V stats when they designed M-Alakazam, for whatever reason.

With Aegislash's recent ban, I think that Mega Gardevoir is going to be a much better stallbreaker (and much better as a whole), since stall's main answer to it was Aegislash. Mega Gardevoir has no reason to run Shadow Ball anymore, which lets you run two of Taunt/Focus Blast/Will-o-Wisp, letting it defeat stall nearly singlehandedly:

Chansey: gets Taunted and is 3hkoed by Psyshock
Skarmory: 2hkoed by Hyper Voice
Mega Venusaur: Mega Gardevoir can't actually 1hko with Psyshock (252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 264-312 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), but Mega Venusaur can't 1hko with Sludge Bomb either, even with 252+
Heatran: 2hkoed by Focus Blast
Bulky Mega Charizard X: depending on the spread, it can 1hko with Hyper Voice after Stealth Rock, although with SR there's no chance for a KO
Quagsire: 1hkoed by Hyper Voice
Sylveon: is 2hkoed by either Hyper Voice or Psyshock, depending on the EV spread (although, Hyper Voice has a chance to be only a 3hko on physically defensive Sylveon, where Psyshock doesn't 2hko)
Mandibuzz: 1hkoed by Hyper Voice
Gliscor: 1hkoed by Hyper Voice

As you can see, nearly every pokemon commonly found on stall has major issues dealing with Mega Gardevoir. The only pokemon Mega Gardevoir has problems with are Chansey and Heatran if it lacks Taunt and Focus Blast, repectively, and Mega Charizard if it hasn't taken any previous damage/there's no Stealth Rock up.

TD;LR Mega Garde shits on stall.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Does Encore or Destiny Bond have any viability on Mega Garde, or is it best to just to stick to the standard sets?
They can be used to surprise opponents, but generally aren't worth it. Both of those moves are best used on Pokemon that are fast or have them as priority, so Alakazam, Gengar, Banette, Whimsicott, etc.

At the risk of being torn limb from limb, is Choice Scarf still a viable item choice for Gardevoir? I've been using it for awhile and it seems to be doing pretty well.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
At the risk of being torn limb from limb, is Choice Scarf still a viable item choice for Gardevoir? I've been using it for awhile and it seems to be doing pretty well.
It's a very niche set that the metagame adapted to quickly. I used to use it as a fast fairy, and since there are 0 others, it faced and still faces no competition for that role. However, it's not particularly good at it, since it's ridiculously weak. If you have a 5 mon team done, and need something to rk specs/band keldeo/terrakion that also handles chansey, you can use it. I used to be a big supporter of the set, but the metagame is too fast + bulky + powerful for it now. One reason I liked using it was that it beat chansey w/ TrickScarf, but Mega Gardevoir beats Chansey too with a more viable moveset. It's a very niche Pokemon, but it has its uses. It's similar to mons like Metagross + Trevenant + Gourgeist-XL + Cofagrigus; niche mons that aren't outclassed at all but just aren't great.

It's a very niche set that the metagame adapted to quickly. I used to use it as a fast fairy, and since there are 0 others, it faced and still faces no competition for that role. However, it's not particularly good at it, since it's ridiculously weak. If you have a 5 mon team done, and need something to rk specs/band keldeo/terrakion that also handles chansey, you can use it. I used to be a big supporter of the set, but the metagame is too fast + bulky + powerful for it now. One reason I liked using it was that it beat chansey w/ TrickScarf, but Mega Gardevoir beats Chansey too with a more viable moveset. It's a very niche Pokemon, but it has its uses. It's similar to mons like Metagross + Trevenant + Gourgeist-XL + Cofagrigus; niche mons that aren't outclassed at all but just aren't great.
Well, shit. And I already have a Mega, so I guess that means I'll need to cut Gardevoir altogether if I don't want to get laughed at. Sad day.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Well, shit. And I already have a Mega, so I guess that means I'll need to cut Gardevoir altogether if I don't want to get laughed at. Sad day.
What's your mega? If it's something that's viable as a mega and a non-mega, ScarfVoir can be more effective due to the surprise factor.

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Blastoise is a pretty decent bulky attacker with great coverage.

Scarf Gardevoir is one of those Mons you use for counter-teaming; it's really good against people you know are using Sand/Rain teams and counter-sweeping them since you're using their weather against them (Scarf + Swift Swim/Sand Rush = Gotta Go Fast). It's a little better against Rain since they really don't have a Fairy resist a lot of the time and you can just spam Moonblast on them, but with Sand you have to use Focus Miss against Excadrill. :/

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Blastoise is a pretty decent bulky attacker with great coverage.

Scarf Gardevoir is one of those Mon you use for counter-teaming; it's really good against people you know are using Sand/Rain teams and counter-sweeping them since you're using their weather against them (Scarf + Swift Swim/Sand Rush = Gotta Go Fast). It's a little better against Rain since they really don't have a Fairy resist a lot of the time and you can just spam Moonblast on them, but with Sand you have to use Focus Miss against Excadrill. :/
True. As long as you use a Timid nature, you outpace SandyDrill + Kabutops + Keldeo in their respective weathers, thanks to Trace, which is amazing. ScarfVoir is a niche mon, but if it fits on your team DeadPants182 and brings you success, don't stop using it, since there's no 100% replacement to it.

True. As long as you use a Timid nature, you outpace SandyDrill + Kabutops + Keldeo in their respective weathers, thanks to Trace, which is amazing. ScarfVoir is a niche mon, but if it fits on your team DeadPants182 and brings you success, don't stop using it, since there's no 100% replacement to it.
I'll admit I've been too lazy to actually try Timid nature and Trace. I should probably get on that.

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
I'll admit I've been too lazy to actually try Timid nature and Trace. I should probably get on that.
Lol that's the entire point of using Scarfed Gardevoir.

Timid lets you revenge kill standard Mega Gyarados at +1 (most run Adamant), Bulky Zard X at +1 (I think you need SR up or some prior damage on it for the kill), and Mega T-Tar at +1 (I believe it will survive a Moonblast but not a Focus Miss; can't check atm cause I'm on my phone). It also makes for a decent surprise check for Thundurus, Keldeo (make sure you come in after it locks itself into Hydro Pump so your opponent will be more likely to stay in hoping for a kill), Lando-I (copying Sheer Force is awesome for counter-sweeping with Moonblast as long as Lando isn't running a Calm Mind or Rock Polish set), Dragonite if it's taken SR damage and you're at full health (Multiscale), non-Sub/Rock Polish Terrakion, LO or Outrage-locked Kyurem-B, and probably some other stuff I'm too lazy to look up.

Even though this is just pure theorymon, it doesn't sound too bad actually (especially with Aegislash gone).

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Lol that's the entire point of using Scarfed Gardevoir.

Timid lets you revenge kill standard Mega Gyarados at +1 (most run Adamant), Bulky Zard X at +1 (I think you need SR up or some prior damage on it for the kill), and Mega T-Tar at +1 (I believe it will survive a Moonblast but not a Focus Miss; can't check atm cause I'm on my phone). It also makes for a decent surprise check for Thundurus, Keldeo (make sure you come in after it locks itself into Hydro Pump so your opponent will be more likely to stay in hoping for a kill), Lando-I (copying Sheer Force is awesome for counter-sweeping with Moonblast as long as Lando isn't running a Calm Mind or Rock Polish set), Dragonite if it's taken SR damage and you're at full health (Multiscale), non-Sub/Rock Polish Terrakion, LO or Outrage-locked Kyurem-B, and probably some other stuff I'm too lazy to look up.

Even though this is just pure theorymon, it doesn't sound too bad actually (especially with Aegislash gone).
I used it back in April/May, and I can confirm all of those uses of Trace. My favorite one was probably switching in on a Manectric who hasn't mega evolved yet, tracing Lightning Rod, and getting a +1 on its obvious Volt Switch. Protean is also a fun ability to trace, to either gain STAB Focus Miss or become pursuit resistant after using Moonblast.

Also here are some calcs for you

252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 242-288 (73.1 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (high chance to OHKO after SR in non-mega state)
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 306-360 (94.7 - 111.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (multiscale broken)
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 174-205 (48.4 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo/Terrakion: 330-390 (102.1 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Sheer Force Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 237-280 (74 - 87.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 56 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-B: 368-434 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kingdra: 314-372 (107.9 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kabutops: 204-240 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kabutops: 340-402 (129.7 - 153.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 362-426 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mega Garde needs support to clean/rk, but if this support is provided, it can be an unexpected terror.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
I used it back in April/May, and I can confirm all of those uses of Trace. My favorite one was probably switching in on a Manectric who hasn't mega evolved yet, tracing Lightning Rod, and getting a +1 on its obvious Volt Switch. Protean is also a fun ability to trace, to either gain STAB Focus Miss or become pursuit resistant after using Moonblast.

Also here are some calcs for you

252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 242-288 (73.1 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (high chance to OHKO after SR in non-mega state)
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 306-360 (94.7 - 111.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (multiscale broken)
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 174-205 (48.4 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo/Terrakion: 330-390 (102.1 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Sheer Force Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 237-280 (74 - 87.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 56 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-B: 368-434 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kingdra: 314-372 (107.9 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kabutops: 204-240 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kabutops: 340-402 (129.7 - 153.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 362-426 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mega Garde needs support to clean, but if this support is provided, it can be an unexpected terror.
It can always D-Bond the sweepers it can't kill which is nice. We need to nominate this thing for C or something on the Viability thread; it doesn't look half-bad on paper.

Mega gardevoir's special bulk has really impressed me. I've been using it recently on my quest to make every mega evolution the main component of a good team (some are easier than others lol) and I found myself in a 1v1 with keldeo. I had taken SR damage coming in and still managed to survive a specs hydro pump and OHKO back. I couldn't believe it. Shame that her physical bulk is horrendous, she takes 40-48% from a conkeldurr knock off. That's a 65BP move... ouch.

I've been using slowbro recently as a team mate and it's working out great. I realize they both share a ghost weakness but slowbro does well to sponge 99% of physical attacks aimed at her. The best thing is that slowbro gets t-wave which has proved invaluable. Lets face it, base 100 speed leaves a lot to be desired so spamming t-wave when slowbro forces switches is great.
The most common problem I am having is getting her in safely. I was thinking about using magnezone for a slow volt switch and the added bonus of removing most other steels. What do you guys think as far as team mates are concerned? Who pairs best with her?

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Mega gardevoir's special bulk has really impressed me. I've been using it recently on my quest to make every mega evolution the main component of a good team (some are easier than others lol) and I found myself in a 1v1 with keldeo. I had taken SR damage coming in and still managed to survive a specs hydro pump and OHKO back. I couldn't believe it. Shame that her physical bulk is horrendous, she takes 40-48% from a conkeldurr knock off. That's a 65BP move... ouch.

I've been using slowbro recently as a team mate and it's working out great. I realize they both share a ghost weakness but slowbro does well to sponge 99% of physical attacks aimed at her. The best thing is that slowbro gets t-wave which has proved invaluable. Lets face it, base 100 speed leaves a lot to be desired so spamming t-wave when slowbro forces switches is great.
The most common problem I am having is getting her in safely. I was thinking about using magnezone for a slow volt switch and the added bonus of removing most other steels. What do you guys think as far as team mates are concerned? Who pairs best with her?
You're pretty much on the money in terms of partners. Magnezone, Lando-T, Talonflame, Rotom-W general common Volt Switchers/U-Turners can help get M-Gard in more safely. Dual screen support from Azelf can help as well on more offensive based teams. Greninja, Thundurus, Landorus, Garchomp, Offensive Heatran, Dragonite, Bisharp are some examples of more offensive based partners for it. Gliscor, Amoonguss, Slowbro, Skarmory are a couple of defensive partners to consider. Stuff that is generally able to break mons such as Jirachi and Cresselia will help M-Gard be more successful and also anything that can help alleviate the pressure of M-Gard having to rely on Focus Blast all the time. It really sucks when you have such a potent mon such as M-Gard lose simply cause it missed a move due to accuracy that would've otherwise more than likely finish off or heavily damage the opponent.

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
Just wondering, what's M-Gardevoir's best EV distribution? I ask because I'm currently running timid max speed and special attack, but I feel that she's too slow to run a spread like that so I was considering switching it up and investing in some bulk instead- take advantage of that huge special defense, no'msayin?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Just wondering, what's M-Gardevoir's best EV distribution? I ask because I'm currently running timid max speed and special attack, but I feel that she's too slow to run a spread like that so I was considering switching it up and investing in some bulk instead- take advantage of that huge special defense, no'msayin?
This is the spread I use (with a Modest nature): 24 Def / 240 SpA / 244 Spe

The 24 Def allow you to avoid the 2hko from latios, the 244 speed let you avoid the rk from Mega Pinsir who hasn't mega evolved yet, and the rest go to Special Attack. You could sacrifice some special attack for some hp/special defense, but i don't think it's worth it, since a) garde prefers all the power it can get, and b) the only attacks it'll want to switch in on it resists (since psych/fairy doesn't resist that much), so bulk investment isn't mandatory. 277/306 special bulk, what it starts at, is really all you need, although you could consider adding 40 special defense EVs to avoid the ohko from mega charizard-y. However, since you speed tie with it, i'm not sure if it's really needed. I also don't think 240 special attack modest gets any ohkos/2hkos that 200 special attack modest can't, so it might be worth it.

Last edited:
I'm new to Pokemon and battling so I'm not exactly good and I would like to ask for some help.

I just recently bred a 6IV Timid Gardevoir and I'm thinking of using it as a special attacker sweeper in my team. Since I'm relatively new I'm considering playing singles more than doubles.

I'm thinking of having Thunderbolt, Psychic and Moon last on it.

What should the last move and item be? And what EV spread?

I am currently running a niche item on my Garde, the Safety Goggles, mostly for Spore spammers like Amoongus, Breloom, and Smeargle.

Mine also serves as my special wall with 252 HP, 252 SpD, and the last 6 into SpA.

Synchronize has worked wonders for me because of all the toxics that get thrown around, it makes it very easy to mess up someones set up, it's like getting to run a free toxic without wasting a move slot.

Calm Mind and Wish make it really bulky, but I don't really have enough room to run more utility moves on it like Protect and/or Wil-O-Wisp.

I like the Psyshock/Moonblast combo for mixed coverage, but it does get walled pretty hard by Heatran and other bulky steel types.

I'm new to Pokemon and battling so I'm not exactly good and I would like to ask for some help.

I just recently bred a 6IV Timid Gardevoir and I'm thinking of using it as a special attacker sweeper in my team. Since I'm relatively new I'm considering playing singles more than doubles.

If you want it to sweep, then it needs max Speed investment.
If you max out SpA, you will get most of your damage off easily. I would recommend using it as your Mega because its base speed matches Mega Charizard which is what a lot of people use. Unfortunately its ability is useless to you because you can't get Hyper Voice on it, but those stats are too good to pass up if you intend on this being your sweeper. Other option is the niche Scarf version discussed above.

I like Psyshock better than Psychic because it lets you get in some mixed coverage, but that might matter less to someone who isn't running Calm Mind.

Is modest the preferred nature now? I haven't used this princess in a while, but when I did the modest nature variant was very rare and generally regarded as inferior to the timid variant. I honestly never put much though as to why. What exactly does mega gardevoir not outspeed with modest but does with timid that is actually relevant? The extra power of modest seems very tempting.

Is modest the preferred nature now? I haven't used this princess in a while, but when I did the modest nature variant was very rare and generally regarded as inferior to the timid variant. I honestly never put much though as to why. What exactly does mega gardevoir not outspeed with modest but does with timid that is actually relevant? The extra power of modest seems very tempting.
I have always used modest. I prefer the extra power.

There are basically two choices you get when using Gardevoir: Choice Scarf and Mega. Either way, max out special attack and speed, and replace Psychic with Psyshock to hit Specially Defensive threats like Assault vest Azumarill harder. Also, make sure your default ability is Trace; if it isn't, get an Ability Capsule and use it on Gardevoir, assuming you don't have the Hidden Ability. If you intend to run Mega Gardevoir, replace Moonblast with Hyper Voice when ORAS comes out since Mega Gardevoir's ability makes Hyper Voice become Fairy type, more powerful than Moonblast, and pierce through Substitutes. However, keep Moonblast for Scarf Gardevoir. Thunderbolt is also relatively useless since all the threats hit hard by Thunderbolt are hit hard by your STAB moves anyway, so on both sets I'd replace it with Focus Blast to hit Pokemon like Heatran who you otherwise couldn't touch. The last moveslot is dependant on the set; the Scarf Set should usually use Trick in the last slot, (which, again, you can teach it via move tutor when ORAS comes out,) because it is useful for crippling defensive Pokemon. Mega Gardevoir usually either runs Will-O-Wisp or Calm Mind in the last slot, the former to cripple Physical Attackers who think they can easily take advantage of Gardevoir, the latter to get an extra boost to muscle through certain threats if the opportunity presents itself.

Too long, didn't read version, these should be your sets:

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp / Calm Mind

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)