SV OU Garganacl Hazards Spam (Peak 2083 #1)

Piyush25

is a defending SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
:sv/garganacl: :sv/glimmora: :sv/dragapult: :sv/clodsire: :sv/great tusk: :sv/corviknight:

PEAK

1671078610111.png

TEAM

:sv/garganacl:

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Protect​

Tera is broken and salt cure is more broken. Garganacl is the stealth rocker and status sponge of the team. Tera fairy because who doesnt want to be a fairy. Salt cure and recover are self explanatory. Protect helps rack up salt cure and poison/burn damage while gaining leftovers. It also scouts the likes of choiced mons like iron valiant,gholdengo and chi-yu.

:sv/glimmora:

Glimmora @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Earth Power
- Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Power Gem​

Glimmora offers a surprise speed control and a somewhat reliable toxic spikes user. Max speed and special attack for maximum power. Sludge wave is a great stab especially for tera fairy users,iron valiant and hatterene. Dazzling gleam helps glimm beat chomp,pult,roaring moon,chien pao and great tusk. Earth power is for gholdengo and kingambit. Last move can be spikes,t spikes or power gem. Tera fairy removes the ass rock poison typing, boosts the power of dazzling gleam and helps resists revenge kill attempts like sucker punch.

:sv/dragapult:

Dragapult @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Dragon Darts
- U-turn​

Dragapult is the spin blocker and fast boi of the team. It can easily spread burns and maintain momentum with u-turn while racking up hazards and status damage in the process. Hex is powered up by pult's own wisp or by toxic and tspikes. Infiltrator helps pult break through the bazillion shed tail and screens team. Pult is also a very effective late-game cleaner as it is the fastest unboosted mon (electrode).

:sv/clodsire:

Clodsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Recover
Clodsire is the spiker and a check to the stronk offensive threats with unaware, typing, and good bulk. Moves,item, and evs are self explanatory. Clodsire checks gholdengo,iron-valiant,volc, budget volc(iron moth), and scarf chi-yu. Clodsire can also get a suicide toxic on setup mons like roaring moon,dnite,annihilape and terad kingambit. Tera dark completely owns espathra and psyshock gholdengo.

:sv/great tusk:

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Body Press​

Great tusk is the spinner and knock off user of the team. Speed evs allows tusk to outspeed chomp at +1 after rapid spin speed boost. Earthquake and body press are self explanatory. Bulky tusk is amazing against the ting-lu balance teams. Tusk can sweep weakened teams after spinning.Tusk also acts as a check to kingambit,roaring moon and chien-pao. Tera fighting for removing the ice weakness(especially useful in case of chien-pao) and jacked-up body press.

:sv/corviknight:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Roost​

Corviknight is the ground immune of the team. Taunt bulk-up is an extremely underrated set. Taunt helps in preventing opposing corv defog and roost, hazards and whirlwind from ting-lu, and unaware dondozo to rest or curse. The 8 speed evs for opposing corv and 171 speed kingambits. Corv also checks mons like hatt,dnite,chien-pao,great tusk and roaring moon.

THREATS

:chi-yu:

Scarf is easily manageable.Spec is somewhat problematic but still can be played around with hazards and scarf glimm/pult/clodsire.

:annihilape:

Only terra fire is somewhat annoying but can be managed again with scarf glimm,clodsire, and garganacl.
(Both these guys should be banned anw)

REPLAYS

Didnt save many replays cz i forgor
vs robjr: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-664358
vs star: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1740984133-y69emitutn8s9cqxkrc7glik1le0zfwpw
vs welli0u: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1738202157-ejro90ncgtvuahtvcb7kxgjfsulsl2lpw
vs ting-lu balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1740239561-glrs8335tg2st8heuorh3i5xzw8hgf1pw
vs HO: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1738134560-jc5bxogwtyiaw5jqcvy5cy3raskblbxpw

Last edited:
Sick team, it looks like a balance team, so it's nice to see that teams like that still have viability. Protect > body press is interesting, doesn't your team's damage output get kind of low without a good offensive option? And also why are there 4 special attack EVS on clod?

Piyush25

RoAPL Champion
Sick team, it looks like a balance team, so it's nice to see that teams like that still have viability. Protect > body press is interesting, doesn't your team's damage output get kind of low without a good offensive option? And also why are there 4 special attack EVS on clod?
The gen hazards spam is very good so it is easy to progress even without that much offensive options. Especially with status,salt cure nacl and knock tusk to remove hdb u don't need to have that much offense because mons get chipped down very quickly. And regarding the 4 spa EVs, that are supposed to be def. Thanks for pointing out!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello Piyush,

I've been laddering with this team just to test it out (Played approx. 10 games). This is a fantastic team well built, and for a meta that is out of wack currently because certain mons are very overpowered *cough cough Chi-Yu*, it does very well.

I'll list some of the threats I encountered in the 10 games, Chi-Yu (Specs) is a problem especially under some sun teams, it pretty much 2HKOs every single mon on this team so it technically has no checks. Sun teams in general (regardless of skill level of the opponent) are very hard to play against since Protosynthesis spam everywhere, you get outsped, outpowered, and the only way to get around it is killing Torkoal and removing Heat Rock.

Here are some of my suggestions, which aren't a lot because this is a solid balanced team, really can't get much better than this:

Garganacl is so good on this team, as you mentioned Salt Cure is OP it just breaks down anything if they're willing to stay in. I would say no suggestions for this Pokémon.

Glimmora works well, I prefer Spikes > Toxic Spikes / Power Gem in general because it could be hard to setup with Clodsire depending on the oppositions team.

Hex in combo with Toxic Spikes / Will-O-Wisp works great, I think my only problem with this set is Hex doesn't hit that hard because all the EVs are invested in Attack, if I had one suggestion I would say go with a Special Attack investment (EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Timid Nature) and go with Draco Meteor > Dragon Darts. This would me my personal preference but I do like Dragapults job with this set.

I would say Clodsire works great but Air-Balloon Gholdengo is very annoying in a 1 v 1 matchup because you'll be forced to switch out.

Great Tusk is the Landorus-Therian of Gen 9, does it's job very well.

Lastly I would say for Coviknight I would go with 16 EVs invested in Speed instead of 8 just to make sure you don't get outspeed because I still get outspeed by some Kingambit sometimes (Small change but worth it tactically). Love this set btw

Thanks for posting this team and congrats!

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I like 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe on Tusk to creep other bulky Tusks. It still hits 380 Def to optimise +30% in sun and 452 speed at +2 is nice for obvious speed tier reasons. I think this is a worthwhile change, unless there's a significant damage calc that I'm missing from the extra 12 EVs in Def.

Last edited:

Piyush25

RoAPL Champion
I like 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe on Tusk to creep other bulky Tusks. It still hits 380 Def to optimise +30% in sun and 452 speed at +2 is nice for obvious speed tier reasons. I think this is a worthwhile change, unless there's a significant damage calc that I'm missing from the extra 12 EVs in Def.
The original spread was to outspeed garchomp at +1 but yeah this prolly works too
Hello there, how do I handle with Chien Pao? this is a big threat here, i guess
Garg and corv should handle chien pao. If things go out of hand you can Tera glimmora to resists sucker punch and revenge kill or clodsire to toxic. Tbh the only chien pao set that gives some trouble is banded but that is weak to rocks and stuff and Garg still takes 2 hits.

Been using this team to ladder to the 1800s so far and it's really good! I've been struggling to adapt to the Gen 9 meta and your team was the first that got me through that rut :)

I've noticed that the team don't do too well with water, especially with rain teams.

So I changed Unaware on Clod to Water Absorb and that helped out a bit but then Gholdengo and Hatterene gets pretty overwhelming with their boosts so I switched the abilities back and just changed Garganacl's tera into Water since most of the overwhelmingly strong rain abusers are physical attackers anyway. Found that it also helps with Gholdengo since it now resists both of its STABs, providing an additional buffer.

Did you find Water types in general hard to deal with?

Piyush25

RoAPL Champion
Been using this team to ladder to the 1800s so far and it's really good! I've been struggling to adapt to the Gen 9 meta and your team was the first that got me through that rut :)

I've noticed that the team don't do too well with water, especially with rain teams.

So I changed Unaware on Clod to Water Absorb and that helped out a bit but then Gholdengo and Hatterene gets pretty overwhelming with their boosts so I switched the abilities back and just changed Garganacl's tera into Water since most of the overwhelmingly strong rain abusers are physical attackers anyway. Found that it also helps with Gholdengo since it now resists both of its STABs, providing an additional buffer.

Did you find Water types in general hard to deal with?
Rain can be annoying but i didnt face any in my run. Only ou water types rn are pex,rotom and dondozo. Dondozo and pex can be handled by garg and rotom doesnt even 2hko clodsire with pump. But yeah tera water garg can help vs rain but opposing garg/specs pult may be an issue.

How do you deal with rotom-wash and another great tusk? Ill try to test de team a bit (around 1500-1700) and i cant do anything with this mons, hard counter and there are in almost any game

Piyush25

RoAPL Champion
How do you deal with rotom-wash and another great tusk? Ill try to test de team a bit (around 1500-1700) and i cant do anything with this mons, hard counter and there are in almost any game
Clod takes 2 hydros and tera fairy garg also p much walls rotom. Regarding tusk u have corv and defensive tusk. Also pult can switch in on cc spin and burn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)