Gen 4 Pt/HG/SS Battle Tower Rate my Team

Hi all! New guy here. This seemed like the best place to post this since the RMT section isn't concerned with the Battle Tower.

Trying to get 100 streak in the battle tower and this an original team I designed to do that. I would like to get feedback before devoting a bunch of time to making the team a reality.

Edit: I will nickname each pokemon after they achieve the 100 streak so suggestions are appreciated!

Edit: Props to these sites for helping build the team:
Veekun
Pokemon Showdown Teambuilder
EV Optimizer
Psypoke

UPFRONT:
-Assume 0 IVs for all but the listed stat since that's what I can breed reliably,
could possibly do 15 IVs for all but one stat but that would take a lot of breeding
-this team is designed to take on the Platinum/HG/SS battle tower
-I do not have access to gen 3 exclusive tutor moves
-The Gengar/Tyranitar synergy is really cool to me so I'd like to keep it if possible

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 20 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 31 Spe
- Trick
- Grudge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond/Skill Swap/Icy Wind/Confuse Ray/Disable etc.

-Gengar acts as an "Icebreaker" of sorts to dissuade the opponent from using Fighting moves
that would OHKO Tyranitar as well as bait Dark, Ghost, and especially Psychic type moves that
Tyranitar can switch in on safely
-Natural advantage of being immune to Normal,Fighting, and Ground moves (bar Scrappy/Mold Breaker)
-Immune to all OHKO moves except Sheer Cold
*-100 speed EVs to outrun Ninjask and Scarf Porygon-Z, could invest more into that to outrun stuff after the Trick
-as bulky as possible after that to potentially use Will-o or Grudge
*-destiny bond could be replaced with mean look, a stat lowering move or
skill swap to invalidate hypercutter/clearbody
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gallade @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 31 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Memento
- Grudge

-idea here is to generate as much advantage for Tyranitar as possible
-focus sash guarantees a thunderwave to allow Tyranitar to set up substitute against Electrode
and anything slower that statuses
-Will-o and Memento to reduce damage from enemy attacks
-grudge removes OHKO moves or other powerful moves that could take Tyranitar out
-run as bulky as possible to potentially get memento off after will-o or T-wave
-Outruns paralyzed electrode naturally with no investment
-Mismagius, Gardevoir, and Drifblim (swap Spite for Grudge) could fill the same role, but
Gallade resists rock type moves
*-this is the slot on the team that I am most willing to change, I have considered running a
special sweeper like Porygon-Z (immune to Ghost) but I think that it's better to invest
everything into setting up a single sweeper rather than try to run 2 but I could be convinced
otherwise
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 31 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Crunch

-bread and butter set up sweeper, set up with Sub and DDance while the opponent is locked into
a bad move
-Lum Berry allows Ttar to switch into anything locked into a status move and set up a sub
(assuming they are paralyzed)
-100 Speed EVs allows Ttar to outrun Ninjask after only 3 DDances
-Earthquake because it's strong and has great accuracy and coverage
-Crunch for the same reasons plus STAB

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I don't know much about the in-game battle facilities aside from the PWT in B2W2, but who cares.

The main thing here is that there's a lot of planning put into this team. It's upsetting to see someone put so much work into a post only for few people to read it, let alone comment on it. Believe me, I know what's that's like. Back to the team composition, I love the Gallade set you got going on. Never would have thought to use one of those for defensive utility, but hey, it works, right? I also like the synergy behind Tyranitar and Gengar, almost reminding me of a Gen 3 OU Throwback in a way. I do wonder where the defensive investment comes into play for Gengar though, as there's no real explanation for it. Overall, really solid team composition with a very unique core. Can't really suggest any changes to be made.

Another thing I'd recommend, provided you do actually play this, is to try this out on Pokémon Showdown against other players on Gen 4 OU alongside some other Pokémon. I understand Showdown and the Battle Tower are two very different things so it's okay if you don't try this out, but hey. The more practice you have the better. That and I'm pretty sure all 3 of those Pokémon of yours are OU anyway. (Not sure about Gallade but it will work)

I don't know much about the in-game battle facilities aside from the PWT in B2W2, but who cares.

The main thing here is that there's a lot of planning put into this team. It's upsetting to see someone put so much work into a post only for few people to read it, let alone comment on it. Believe me, I know what's that's like. Back to the team composition, I love the Gallade set you got going on. Never would have thought to use one of those for defensive utility, but hey, it works, right? I also like the synergy behind Tyranitar and Gengar, almost reminding me of a Gen 3 OU Throwback in a way. I do wonder where the defensive investment comes into play for Gengar though, as there's no real explanation for it. Overall, really solid team composition with a very unique core. Can't really suggest any changes to be made.

Another thing I'd recommend, provided you do actually play this, is to try this out on Pokémon Showdown against other players on Gen 4 OU alongside some other Pokémon. I understand Showdown and the Battle Tower are two very different things so it's okay if you don't try this out, but hey. The more practice you have the better. That and I'm pretty sure all 3 of those Pokémon of yours are OU anyway. (Not sure about Gallade but it will work)
Thanks for the response! All but gave up on the post after a few days. After rethinking the team I agree that Gengar would be better off investing in speed to outrun stuff after the trick but it's a toss up. I did rework the EVs on Tyranitar after realizing there's an Endure/Salac Berry/Unburden Drifblim in the tower. (156 Spe EVs)

Overall I'm pretty proud of this squad and glad you saw the work I put in. First serious foray into teambuilding or the Tower. Building the team in-game right now so will post update on its success/failure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)