Gen 5 Ou Team-Improvement suggestions greatly appreciated

Hello! I made a team for gen 5 ou-can I get some improvement suggestions?

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave

Alakazam is the revenge killer of the team. I decided to go for a set inspired in part by gen 1-Alakazam would Thunder Wave, then start dealing huge amounts of damage with Psychic. I modified it slightly, because I wanted to be able to get the 3hko on Tyranitar and the 2hko on Jellicent.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Skarmory's primary job is to set up Spikes for Alakazam to wreak havoc, and then start Whirlwinding to spread damage to many pokemon on the opposing team. Brave Bird is there for where I can ohko Pokemon.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Blissey is primarily there for Arometherapy. Alakazam really hates status conditions, and so I figured I would choose a Pokemon that would heal those while spreading Poison. Seismic Toss is there to deal consistent damage when it is needed, and Soft-Boiled keeps up Blissey's health.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake

Gliscor is there to substitute, then use Toxic and if possible, start setting up with Swords Dance. In addition, Toxic Orb to heal it any turn.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Garchomp is the other hazard setter. I decided to go for a stealth rock set because Garchomp has the unique quality of having very powerful attacks that don't give recoil, so it won't mind taunts as much as Skarmory.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Scald
- Recover

Jellicent's primary job is to dish around Burns. Will-O-Wisp has very questionable accuracy, and Scald will 2hko Alakazam with a crit.

Hello Hello yes it is me, at a glance your team seems to have a good start to the gen 5 meta. However, your team has some flaws that I think need changing, One of them being Jelli. Having scald and will on the same set isn't ideal IMO. Replace Scald with Night Shade then you have better matchups with mons Jelli counters in the meta such as Keldeo. Next is your Skarmory. I am a huge advocate on more SPDEF EVs on Skarm rather than physical because Skarm is naturally a physically defensive mon that it doesn't need max DEF EVs to tank the majority of physical hits. A spread that works is 248 HP/16 DEF/224 SPDEF could help your team. One final note on Skarm is that Drill Peck is a better move than Brave Bird due to the unnecessary chip Skarm takes from recoil. Yeah, Brave Bird lets you be less passive with the drawback of recoil, but looking at your team composition, Drill Peck looks like a much better move. Next is Alakazam. HP Ice or Signal Beam helps you take care of the multitude of dragons and Celebi that are seen while laddering. Other than that I believe you are off to a good start, but if you want to understand the meta more on Gen 5 OU I recommend checking the Sample Teams and also watching some SPL replays to get a better grasp. Good Luck amigo

Gamer1234556

"Because... Scald is a shit Ferro answer!!!"
Ok, I would recommend Tyranitar over Blissey. Tyranitar sets up the weather and gives you a mon that can actually trap Latios, Reuniclus, and Alakazam. Blissey is extremely niche and doesn't fit in a team like this. Besides, Zam has Magic Guard so it doesn't need to worry about status aside from Paralysis.

I am also not exactly a fan of having Garchomp and Gliscor on the same team, I would probably either of the two with Latios to improve your Rain Matchup.

Here are the two pastes I would recommend with my changes:

:tyranitar::gliscor::skarmory::jellicent::latios::alakazam:
:tyranitar::garchomp::skarmory::jellicent::latios::alakazam:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)