RATE MY TEAM - TRICK ROOM WITH TYPLHOSION AND MIMIKYU
mimikyu.gif
typhlosion.gif
tapu-bulu.gif
stakataka.gif
reuniclus.gif
staraptor.gif

Hey, there fellas

My name is Supernerd (The account is named SlySerperior because I made this account when I was a kid) and I’ve decided to come back to competitive battling after a bit of a hiatus and found myself fascinated by a meta that I’ve never really indulged in before. Doubles. Specifically Gen 7 OU Doubles. It’s so wildly different from Singles and since Gen 8 doesn’t have my favorite Pokemon, Typhlosion, Gen 7 OU seemed like the perfect place to reignite my competitive spark.

After using this team, I managed to get to 1350 ELO out of the gate, not having played Pokemon, let alone Gen 7 OU Doubles in forever. But it’s not perfect, and some changes can be made.

reuniclus.gif

Sis (Reuniclus) (F) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Overcoat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Reuniclus is the tried and true starter of the team. She’s bulky, and usually always lives to throw out at least one Trick Room so that Mimikyu can come in with a Swords Dance and start destroying the competition. Of course, there’s always the possibility of Taunt, so a Psychium Z Psychic is usually something that nobody expects, especially opponents like Lando or Tapu Koko.

mimikyu.gif

Elson (Mimikyu) (M) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Reuniclus’ perfect partner. Obviously, the first thing that Mimikyu should do is Swords Dance. Despite being the obvious option, a free Swords Dance due to Disguise is hard to counter. Sometimes, a stat boost is barely not enough to take out an opponent so Shadow Sneak is a nice clean-up option. Play Rough is an obvious option and a Swords Dance'd up Play Rough can take out a huge portion of a Quiver Danced Volcarona.

typhlosion.gif

Cinderella (Typhlosion) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect
- Nature Power

Typhlosion is in here mainly due to the fact that she’s my favorite Pokemon. I always put Typhlosion on my team, even if a Pokemon like Charizard or Camerupt works better. But a STAB Life Orb Eruption is nothing to sneeze at, managing to OHKO several Pokemon without any foresight. Nature Power is here for those Water-types that don’t expect a 90 base power Energy Ball due to Grassy Terrain.

tapu-bulu.gif

Ooga (Tapu Bulu) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Protect

Tapu Bulu has been an unexpected carry on this team. I can’t tell you how many times it’s come down to 2 Electric-type Pokemon versus just Tapu Bulu and a surprise Rock Slide lands me a victory. It’s a great check to Mega-Swampert and other Water-types in the metagame and is fantastic as a late-game clean-up Pokemon. Superpower was also put on here so that Steel-types don't just destroy half my team.

staraptor.gif

Maverick (Staraptor) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Final Gambit
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Much like the first move in Staraptor’s moveset, Staraptor is a gambit. A gambit in chess is when you sacrifice pieces early in order to give yourself more options in the future or just to win the game outright due to an expected strategy. Staraptor is the physical manifestation of this. Too many games have been won due to a Final Gambit that needed to be made in order to open up Typhlosion or a U-turn on a Hydreigon/Mega-Sceptile that allows a free switch into Mimikyu. Staraptor is the silver bullet in an already slightly unorthodox team.

stakataka.gif

Hengeworth (Stakataka) @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Brave Nature
IVs: 17 Def / 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Stakataka is the perfect user of Trick Room in the tier. Gyro Ball destroys so many Fairy-types and Rock Slide ends the existence of so many Thunderus-T’s and Tapu Kokos. The Trick Room is here in case of an unexpected move on Reuniclus and I need another necessary Trick Room user.

And that's the team, any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to reach the Top 100 in Gen 7 Doubles OU by the end of the month. Thank you all very much

- Supernerd

Sis (Reuniclus) (F) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Cinderella (Typhlosion) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect
- Nature Power

Ooga (Tapu Bulu) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Protect

Maverick (Staraptor) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Final Gambit
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Hengeworth (Stakataka) @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Brave Nature
IVs: 17 Def / 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Elson (Mimikyu) (M) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)