Gen 7 Gen 7 OU first team attempt ^^

:psyglad:Introduction:psyglad:

Hello aaand welcome to my first Smogon post :D First of all I would like to thank whoever reads this and I’m forever grateful to whoever provides feedback. Recently I’ve been working on my first gen 7 ou team (yes I do realize it’s gen 8, I’m a bit behind...), and I have finally created a team I think I can build upon. Now I’m no expert, just a beginner that pops into showdown, plays a round or two or just checks out Smogon, so I’m not exactly a professional when it comes to team building. Now with me introducing myself and the topic, let’s get a bit deeper into the team.

:psywoke:Teambuilding:psywoke:

When building my team I went for a hyper offense team consisting of a lead, 1 wallbreaker, 3 sweepers (1 of which turned out to be a nice wall breaker :), speed control, and a pivot. Full importable will be at the end ^^

Infernape

I started out with my lead and went through 3 options, a suicide lead ferrothorn or physical wall, a shuckle for webs and stealth rock, and an infern ape for fake out to take out sash, set up rocks, and deal as much damage as possible by running dual STABs. I eventually came to the decision of running infernape after multiple tests because many leads I played would run sash and it made it preeeetty annoying to deal with. Shuckle couldn’t do much after the rocks and webs, and ferrothorn kept getting destroyed by fire types like m-charizard x and volcarona

The infernape set I decided to run was fake out for no sash, stealth rocks for hazard, and iron fist boosted fire punch and close combat for my duel stabs. I also put in max speed investment and a focus sash so that my infernape could fake out for chip+sash, set up rocks, and finally (if possible), deal some damage or KO the opponent using one of the STABs.

Landorus-therian

After finding a lead that met my (low) expectations, I moved onto a pivot. A utility poke I’ve seen many people use as a switching point was landorus-therian and I decided to give it a try. With its high atk, mediocre speed, great movepool, and amazing typing, I decided to run scarf landorus running earthquake, brick break, u-turn, and knock off, being able to remove items or switch out is amazing, plus eq is useful, might not be the best idea to get locked onto it but it is situationally useful. Brick break was useful for breaking down screens if someone tries to run a dual screen setup.

Mega-Lopunny

After getting two of the important rolesin my hyper offense team, I then had to get speed control, because after running a test without speed control, fast sweepers usually broke down my team. I decided on mega lopunny, which was surprisingly useful for cleaning up after infernape if infernape can’t get a KO before he is KOd himself. With ALMOST max speed investment (adamant nature instead of jolly), I came out with a 369 speed, 408 atk Mega-Lopunny to take out the faster threats. With the scrappy ability, mega lopunny does quite well, being able to run fake out turn 1, then hit them with quick attack if they’re low. The last to moves I ran were drain punch for recovery and damage, and ice punch. It can also be used as a SORTA pivot for fake out quick attack to clean up.

Metagross

With so many great sweeper options to choose from metagross might seem strange, but after 1 agility, Metagross becomes unbelievably fast (mine having over 400 speed). Then by running meteor mash, eq, and zen headbutt we have quite a powerful moveset, and as a bonus we also have a life orb for 1.3x dmg.

Xurxitree

While I was searching for another sweeper, I tried looking for a special attacker and came across xurxitree. I had my doubts about xurxitree because of its low speed making it vulnerable to many quicker threats, until I realized it had hypnosis, so I decided to run psychium z and run z-hypnosis xurxitree, making it get 1.5x speed and also put the opponent to sleep allowing it to set up a tail glow and then use thunderbolt and energy ball to take out lots of threats, thunderbolt brings it main STAB, and running energy ball to take out ground types, it’s main weakness.

Azumarill

Finally, my last wallbreaker. This is the member of the team that I found the strangest because it works as a wallbreaker and a sweeper. This member is Belly-drum Azumarill! *cue applause woooo...* After a single belly drum, azumarill raises its atk to max, and by running sitrus berry it only lowers it’s health by one quarter. With its dual STAB play rough and aqua jet, we still have 1 move slot left, which I stuck knock off in. It can sweep using belly drum aqua jet, break holes in any defensive team with its dual stab and knock off,and with max HP and ATK evs (and adamant nature), we get an amazing wallbreaker and sweeper.

:psysly:Importable:psysly:

as promised here’s the teams full importable, I like making all my pokes shiny and adding nicknames, it’s a habit, but feel free to comment suggestions and also make the pokes normal instead of shiny and change the nicks if u want ^^

Infernus (Infernape) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat

Mini jester (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Speed demon (Lopunny-Mega) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Quick Attack
- Ice Punch

Big boi (Metagross) @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash

I smack ma belly (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Thunder tree (Xurkitree) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Hypnosis

Replays coming soon!!!

Hmm your team is pretty great however just change to hp ice instead of energy ball for xurkitee in order to check Lando and most importantly, gliscor. Hp ice has the added benefit of being super effective against dragon types. Other than that, your team is pretty solid.

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi JesterMewbot ! Unfortunately a lot of these pokemon are extremely outclassed / frankly not that good in the meta, but i’ll try and adjust it to be somewhat usable.

Major Changes

:infernape:
Infernus (Infernape) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch -> Taunt
- Fake Out -> Flare Blitz
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat -> Endeavor

This maximises Infernape’s capabilities as a suicide lead, allowing it to deny opposing hazard setters with Taunt, potentially take out a Pokemon with Endeavour, as well as KO itself in order to maintain momentum, while doing chunks of damage to opposing leads with Flare Blitz.

:lopunny-mega: -> :charizard-mega-x:
Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Lopunny is simply not a good Pokemon on HO, as it doesnt have the setup capability to be threatening immediately to a team. Mega Charizard X, however, is a extremely threatening Pokemon on HO, being able to boost up and threaten to clean teams as well as break through for its teammates.

:metagross: -> :magearna:

Magearna @ Electrium Z / Weakness Policy / Shuca Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Metagross is not a viable Pokemon in SM OU, so I replaced it with another Steel-type in Magearna. IMO Magearna is a staple for Hyper Offense teams in USUM, and I chose Electrium here to remove Pex for Azumarill and Charizard, but Weakness Policy or Shuca Berry can also be used instead, if you opt for Rockium Z or Normalium Z on Lando-T or Azumarill, respectively.. BoltBeam Focus coverage also allows it to easily clean up teams, once CharX and Azu have weakened them.

:xurkitree: -> :tapu-koko:

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Xurkitree, frankly, is extremely unreliable, and often doesnt sweep VS competent players. Im replacing it with a Dual Screens Tapu Koko, which is an amazing asset for Hyper Offense teams like this, supporting your sweepers with Screens to boost their bulk, helping them setup easier.

:landorus-therian:
Mini jester (Landorus-Therian) @ Yache Berry / Passho Berry / Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

DualDance Landorus-Therian is a scary threat, especially with a Yache Berry / Passho Berry and behind screens, making it much harder to be revenged killed by the likes of Weavile and Ash Greninja, respectively; and with Rockium, you have an extremely strong nuke at +2. Now with screens, a dedicated cleaner isnt needed as all of your Pokemon can clean.
Minor Changes

I smack ma belly (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry -> Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def -> 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Normalium Z allows for a more safer Belly Drum vs the likes of Ash Greninja and Heatran. The new EV spread means you arent as reliant on Aqua Jet as you’re main source of damage, which means Azu can be much more scary to deal with. Screens also make up for the lost bulk.

I tried to change as little as possible, hope you like the new team!

:infernape: :magearna: :landorus-therian: :charizard-mega-x: :azumarill: :tapu-koko:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)