[Gen 7] USM CAP Sample Teams

USM CAP Sample Teams
Approved by cbreven, OP stolen from Sparktrain

Hello, friends and welcome to the revived Cap Sample Team thread, USM version since the USM meta has been around for a while now it was time to update this.
This thread will serve as an archive for all of the teams prevalent in the USM CAP metagame which effectively demonstrate a certain archetype or playstyle within the meta. These teams will act as a resource for both new and returning players of CAP, in order for them to become acclimatised to the meta. Submissions for a team to be added to the archive of sample teams must be made by including:
  • An importable of the team
  • Identify which archetype your team belongs to; Offense, Balance or Stall
  • A brief explanation of how the team works
  • A few competitive replays of the team in action
Those are the only rules, feel free to submit teams you think deserve to be part of the samples and the ones which most accurately portray their archetype within the current meta will be added to the archive.

Aurumoth
Kerfluffle
Kitsunoh
Malaconda
Pyroak
Colossoil
Cawmadore
Mollux
Plasmanta
Stratagem
Syclant
Voodoom
Naviathan

Last edited:
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Tomohawk @ Coba Berry
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Roost

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Roost

Kitsunoh @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Shadow Strike
- U-turn
- Trick

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

As a balance team built around a defensive core, this team is meant to attrition out key threats and checks, and then have the offensive MegaCham and Kitsunoh clean up. Defensive Tomohawk, Chansey, and Ferrothorn are all incredibly splashable, and switch between each other well. Defensive Tomo spins, hazes, and can tank a SSSS from Lando or other threats with its Coba Berry. Chansey eats all but the strongest fighting-type moves, sets rocks, and throws around Toxic. Ferrothorn and Gliscor are each physically defensive Tanks with massive passive healing, Spikes and Knock Off utility respectively, and decent damage output with Gyro Ball, Power Whip, and Earthquake. Kitsunoh is a Flying-check, able to Trick its Choice Band onto defensive threats while also outputting severe damage backed by great speed. Mega Medicham is the raw power of the team, able to overpower weakened checks with its coverage, while strong Fighting and Psychic STAB threatens much of the metagame.
This team is heavily threatened by Protect Celesteela and other extremely defensive mons like Toxic/Heal Block Pajantom, and by Mega-Pinsir's overpowering Flying STAB.
However, this team is extremely threatening to other balance teams and offensive teams that are easily worn down by Spikes, SR, and Tomo, Chansey, Ferro, and Gliscor's passive damage. After the opposing team has been weakened and checks removed, Kitsunoh or MegaCham can remove the other's checks, or just outright clean house.

Massive kudos to reachzero, the builder of this team! I've had loads of success with it alongside my other teams.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-744639617 (Versus bssm16)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-744643384 (Versus TheMintyAltoids)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-721894970 (Versus reachzero!)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-728663177 (Versus snake_rattler)

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Roost

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Arghonaut @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Spikes
- Circle Throw
- Toxic

Pyroak @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Giga Drain

Pretty standard balance team, based around abusing busted Hawlucha+koko voltturn. Scizor was added to defog for the team, and to check rock types. KyuB was added as another mon to abuse Eterrain, and nuke the normal Koko counters with a Z-Freeze Shock. The set can be changed to LO, and replace Z-Freeze Shock with Earth Power, to lure in and deal with 'mons like Heatran beter. Afterwards Pyroak+Argho was added, to check 'mons like Specs Koko, Ash Gren, Volkraken, Magearna etc. They also set up Spikes and Stealth Rocks, that helps Hawlucha/koko sweep lategame.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-739625930 Haw doesnt always need to be the wincon, and Koko+hazards are deadly.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-728681480 Kyu-B's matchup vs the meta and natural bulk
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-732340107 KyuB takes out important 'mons for the rest of the team to sweep

SHSP

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributor
Lele+Mawile Offense

This team is an offensive team that's built around punching holes with Z-Focus Blast Lele and Mega Mawile, in order to facilitate a clean from either Volkraken or Greninja. Lele hits like an absolute truck, hitting meta stalwarts like Argh and Tomo for billions of damage under Psychic Terrain. Mawile is more of the same, hitting insanely hard against slower, fatter teams, and running Rocks for the team since the number of switches it forces. Greninja and Volkraken are the cleaners and speed control for the team, with Scarf for Kraken and shuriken for Ninja. They benefit from bulky teams being crippled beforehand and can handle offense well between them. Zygarde and Zapdos are there for a defensive backbone against offense and general utility: Zap carries defog and is one of the better ways to handle Lando on the team, and Zyg is running the SubToxic set that I've found incredibly effective against common Zygarde answers and problematic mons for the team.

Replays:
vs Offler- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-745585796 (loss, but good showing overall)
more to be added tomorrow when I can get games

Last edited:
Full cap balance

The idea of this team it was to show that you can create and use a team with only CAPmons, I decide to do it as a balanced team due Pyroak+Cyclohm+Arghonaut is a really nice defensive and hazzard setter core and for offensive, I decide to use tomohawk and naviathan which are good sweeper and set-up pokemon.

How to use it?
This team plays similar to a semi stall team doing damage bewtwen hazzards and toxic but the key difference is that this team have offensive pokemon which can deal a massive damage like tomohawk which can 2HKO allmost every non dedicated special walls and surprising electric pokemon with nature power z, and don't forget of CM naviathan which does the job to stall team once toxapex is dead, that is why you have colossoil in your team which his main goal is to eliminate hazzards and killing toxapex and crucibelle (if the don't run wood hammer) which both of them can give problems to the team. Now let's start with the main core which is Pyroak+Cyclohm+Arghonaut this core is one of my favorites thanks of how much they can wall and still put hazzard with rocks and spikes (with Pyroak and arghonaut) and pazzing with roar and circle throw (with Pyroak and arghonaut) and dealing damage with poison and keep recovering while they can (with Cyclohm and Arghonaut).

Threats and counters:
- Fairy type can do many problems if your pyroak is dead due he is the one of countering this type, but you should be fine if you get 2 boost with CM
- Hazzards gives problems to one of the most important walls in the team and switching and taking a 25% of like isn't great for a wall
- Band Kartana can gives problems due pyroak set is the special defensive one which can not reisist +1 sacred sword, and just tomohawk can live that but don't forget that Kartana also have psy cut
- Zapdos can be anoying due you can not OHKO him and he can deal damage to the team or walling it completly

Level of difficulty: High

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Wish Clef + Dual Dragons

Importable
This is a Balance team, starring Pajantom and Mega Latias with defensive support from dual recovery clefable. The aim of the team is to pressure your opponent with hazard from both Clefable and Arghonaut forcing around as many pokemon as possible. After pressuring your opponent throughout the game, Pajantom should be attempting to spinblock and remove rapid spinners while Magnezone is meant to make Mega Latias' job as a cleaner easier late game. Clefables cleric qualities supported with the hazard stack allows this team to set up the stage very nicely for Mega Latias in the later stages of a match.

One of the biggest things I can say about this team is don't be afraid to sack your Pajantom to 1v1 a pokemon and remove a key part to an opponents team. Also this team struggles a lot with Gastrodon, so if you'd like to ease the matchup Toxic > Knock Off on Arghonaut should allow you to at least trade poison. The EVs on Arghonaut allow it to switch into pokemon like Crucibelle or Scarf Landorus-T easier(Will supply calcs if needed).

Threats:
Mollux becomes annoying if Pajantom dies
Flyinium Z Torn-T can burst through this team if played well
Tapu Koko + Celesteela puts a lot of pressure on Magnezone
CM Z Move Tapu Lele puts a huge dent in this team

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-745554472
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-745558847
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-745557192
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-746120324

I hope these replays will be enough to suffice for now, if not PM me and I'll post more.

Apologies this has taken me a while its currently finals week for me and I'm stressed af lol, anywho I've added 2 of the above teams to samples as myself and others I have spoken to believe they are pretty good at doing what they were designed to do (after they made some changes I spoke to them about which ill go over here:)
the team looked quite weak to opposing zygarde, especially variants that run substitute. However after talking to you and testing the team myself, we spoke about adding Hidden Power Ice to Zapdos because of this weakness. With this change, the team seems to perform much better vs this threat despite being weak to it still, it is much easier to play around.

Your team was really, REALLY weak to Specs Koko and Specs Lele which we discussed and decided to change the magnezone to Assault Vest in order to strengthen this flaw. With this change the team is pretty solid and performs well as a balance team in the current state of the game.

Sorry to those who submitted teams that did not get added but I felt only the two teams that were added accurately showcased the cap meta whilst also boasting minimal weaknesses to most of the meta.
Please don't let this discourage you from posting more teams in the future as we can always use more samples.

Just gonna go over the teams that didn't get added and a few reasons why :
This balance looks pretty well rounded if you look at it on paper in terms of its type matchups, defensive core etc. I do however think that this team is quite weak to most of the meta: Landorus-T, Tornadus-T and Choice Specs Tapu-Lele, for example, are very strong vs your team and I think that playing around these popular threats is too much to ask of a new player who might want to pick up this team which is why I've not added this one to samples.

This team takes one of the best Hyper Offense cores currently in the meta and adds a popular defensive backbone for CAP in Pyro +Argh. The issue that this team presents is the idea of maintaining momentum. The core of Tapu Koko + Hawlucha + Kyub is fantastic on offense because it constantly pressures your opponent to find switch-ins to their strong attacks. Adding a defensive core to this team means that there are lulls in pressure whenever any of these mons come in which allows your opponent to recoup/waste Electric Terrain turns. I think this team isn't far away from something potent in the meta but I just don't think this is what "balance" looks like in CAP. If this team was to be turned into an offensive team I think it would be excellent for the sample teams.

Many players who first come to CAP think that their teams have to be 6 CAP mons and often make bad teams because of this. Whilst this team is quite good I don't think its as good as balance teams without the limitation of running only CAP mons. That being said I also don't think CAP only teams should be implemented into the sample teams as it may encourage the new players who use these teams to think that CAP is normally played with 6 CAPs. For both these reasons, I won't be putting this team into the samples.

With that out of the way, a new meta has recently arrived with the addition of Jumbao on the resurgence of weather-based teams so any teams submitted hereafter will have to take this into consideration and changes may be made to the teams currently in the samples. Thanks everyone who has already submitted teams and i hope there are more to come.

Last edited:
Small update:
Decided to add snake_rattler 's TR team as its one of the more common archetypes in CAP and this particular variant is used a lot.

With the surge in cap users coming from the various tournaments we have going on, now is the best time to post teams to help new users out so if you have anything you think should be a part of the sample teams, please post!

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
"Peak Rain" - Rain Balance

Importable
OK, so Swampert in rain is pretty straightforward, you just get it up and ram your opponent with it. The entire team is built around facilitating that goal. Pelipper is obviously important for setting up rain, but it is also able to act as a slow pivot to bring in other Pokemon, typically Swampert, safely and it provides some offensive pressure and defog support for the team. Mollux, AV Colossoil, and Tomohawk provide the defensive backbone of the team and are able to stop most threats as well as provide utility to the team. Mollux is an excellent secondary rain setter, can spread status, and can soak up hits attacks that threaten other members of the team such as grass and fairy attacks. Rebound Colossoil is very prediction dependent and can be given Guts instead and it provides useful utility in the form of Knock off and hazard control as well as also being able to pivot to a teammate with U-turn. Tomohawk is basically a universal check to setup sweepers and physical attackers and also provides rocks for the team. Finally, Kartana is a great revenge killer and can force out certain threats.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-749520678 vs G-Luke
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-787857362 vs Hys
I don't really save replays that often, so these were the best I could find that weren't just against randoms on ladder
EDIT: I forgot to check my alt for replays, here's a few more I found:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-777772799 vs cbrevan ft hax, from Birkal's tourney
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-777765203 another vs cbrevan, both of these replays show how that extra physical bulk on Swampert is really useful
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-754822776 vs offler
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-797765314 vs snorlax_in_the_way

On the name: I am becoming increasingly convinced that I stumbled upon what may be one of the best possible rain teams in the current meta as I have not been able to make a new team that is nearly as consistent as this one and the fact that generally rain teams aren't all that viable currently. Now, I'm not saying that this is an amazing team or that there is definitely no better possible rain team, the name and theory behind it are a bit tongue-in-cheek and what is most likely happening is that rain in general isn't that great, I just happened to come up with a decent one.

Last edited:
"Peak Rain" - Rain Balance

Importable

On the name: I am becoming increasingly convinced that I stumbled upon what may be one of the best possible rain teams in the current meta as I have not been able to make a new team that is nearly as consistent as this one and the fact that generally rain teams aren't all that viable currently. Now, I'm not saying that this is an amazing team or that there is definitely no better possible rain team, the name and theory behind it are a bit tongue-in-cheek and what is most likely happening is that rain in general isn't that great, I just happened to come up with a decent one.
no
https://pokepast.es/90563b68378a6db6
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-795412695
the team is bad

Edit: yes, my point still stands. The version in the importable is arguably worse than the one I linked and it still lost

Edit 2: Ik I don't run the sample team thread, but could we not clutter it with awful rain teams, unless of course they're actually good. Its annoying and redundant.

Last edited:

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
You realize you linked a replay of a different team, right?

Edit: So apparently, since a similar team lost in a match against a good player who brought a team clearly built to counter rain, my (different) team is bad. My loss couldn't have been for the aforementioned reason or the fact that my teams were untested because someone on my team was hesitant to have me play in CAPTT or that I was subbed in earlier that same day and had barely any time throughout the day to even practice on the ladder, let alone with my teammates.

Edit 2: I just noticed that you quoted and bolded a specific part of my post. A part of my post which, in the following sentence I say was tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited:
I woul'd just like to note, that the two replays that you linked are versus teams that aren't made for general use; G-luke's team is for a teambuilding competition, as he stated in-battle, while my team was made specifically for my opponent for CAPTT. I personally would not argue that the team you posted is as good as the current sample teams, which are all easy to pick up for beginners, and demonstrate of the meta quite well. Even the king of rain himself, RWW, is not using rain due to how meh of a matchup it has vs the majority of the meta. Again, in my opinion, I would not put that team as a sample.

The team I used in that replay has a banded greninja stop exposing me

Since rain is kind of a big deal in CAP I feel it’s right we have an updated sample, as sparks is getting kind of old with it having kingdra and slower than nect swampert.

With that said, after TT has finished I will poll all the rain builds submitted along with any from TT that we have the imports for because I think more than 1 rain variant is overkill.

So if you have a rain build you think deserves to be in samples feel free to submit it and we’ll poll it in a few weeks with the conclusion of Cap TT IV

Yo, did someone say "Rain Poll"? Time to break out that team that caused the meltdown in Frostbiyt's signature, fine-tuned over the span of a few months.

The Blue Team of Death (and Mollux)
https://pokepast.es/94502850a77efcb9

Pelipper sets rain., slow pivots, throws around burns, and blasts surprisingly powerful Hurricanes.
Tomohawk eats physical things for breakfast with priority Roost, Rocky Helmet, Haze, and 100% accurate Hurricanes.
Mollux eats special things for breakfast, recovers 18% HP per turn, but I've opted to run Thunder over Sludge Bomb, cuz it just hits what I want to better.
Naviathan and Thundurus-T are the two sweepers of the team, physical and special, respectively. Naviathan and Thundurus both run +Speed in order to outrun Jolly Colossoil, and KO it with Waterfall or Grass Knot. Typically, most Thundurus-T on rain like to run Double Dance, that being Nasty Plot and Agility. However, I always found myself clicking Agility much more often than I clicked Nasty Plot, and, wanting a way to consistently KO Colossoil, MegaPert, and Gastrodon, I run Grass Knot in its place.
Mega Swampert is the whole point of running a rain team, and carries exactly what you'd expect a MegaPert in the rain to run: Waterfall, Earthquake, Superpower, and Ice Punch, although I've been, uhhhhhhhhhhh... Frustrated by Ice Punch recently. As much as I hate to admit it, Ice Punch is MegaPert's only way with dealing with most common Dragon-types like Lati@s and Dragonite, and even hits a few Grass types really well, like Jumbao on the switch.

I've played with this team a lot, but I also upload a butt-ton of replays on Showdown, so I'mma make some more replays.
Watch this space! You never know when it might change!​

Last edited:
Alright I guess I'll throw one in as well. I'll do my best to make my post not annoying and redundant!! Have mercy Snor!!

hmmbur
https://pokepast.es/8221bec4942cc1ae

I think most people who actively play in the CAP meta as of late or anyone who has watched any of my replays from recent tournaments would recognize this team. It's one I've been spamming for like 3 months ever since I discovered that SpDef Pajantom isn't a complete meme and actually has a place in the CAP meta.

The main goal of the team is to wear down the opposing team using passive damage through hazards, status and Leech Seed all while switching around the really solid defensive backbone of the team to create an opening for the powerhouses, Battle Bond Gren and Crucibelle Mega, to come in.

Pajantom is the now standard Specially Defensive variant with Spirit Shackle to trap and defeat Pokemon such as Tomohawk, Pyroak, Toxapex, Zapdos etc. through Toxic and Heal Block. Spirit Shackle also helps to ease switching to other members of the team. For example shackling Jumbao or Clefable can allow you an easier switch out to Crucibelle (you do have to watch out for Hidden Power Ground and Thunder Wave respectively, but at the same time they have to worry about Toxic and Heal Block) or Celesteela. Pajantom also gives the team a Volkraken, Volcarona and Heatran check while also being a very reliable spinblocker vs Tomohawk. Pajantom appreciates hazard stacking immensely as it allows you to destroy defensive teams by just clicking Heal Block on the switch which quickly wears down stuff like Scizor and Ferrothorn.

Celesteela is the team's main Flying, Psychic and Fairy resist and pairs super well with Revenankh and Pajantom. Having Protect on both Pajantom and Celesteela allows you to scout Choice moves really well even allowing you to beat Specs Koko for example. Other than that Celesteela just does what it does best i.e be obnoxious.

Revenankh is an answer to Kril as well as Ash Gren, Crucibelle, Cyclohm and Scizor and puts pressure on the opponent by having access to both Toxic and WoW (although I've come to realise Glare is maybe definitely better LOL s/o againa's Clefable) while also having nice +3 priority Drain Punch and Moonlight. Having access to such a powerful recovery option allows you to play a little more aggresively in that you can click your status moves without having to worry about healing as much. Usually a pretty big weakness to defensive Pokemon is that they need to be very healthy to be able to check what they need to check as they'll need to be able to eat two hits and be able to heal off. Revenankh can be at 35% and still check Crucibelle which is super handy and helps in maintaining/gaining momentum which is not something a lot of defensive Pokemon can offer.

For Tomohawk I decided to go for Icium-Z Haze because being normal is boring I found that Tomohawk would often get Knocked Off and because Z-Haze is a very very solid answer to set up sweepers aka Necturna. Z-Haze lets you play similarly to what I was talking about with Revenankh in that you can afford to click your healing move a little less often which gives you the opportunity to spin, double out or I guess smack something with Hurricane. One of the thing I like least about Tomohawk atm is how much of a momentum drainer it is - look at the VR and you'll notice how many of the top Pokemon completely destroy it and can come in with ease which is why I like Z-Haze as it allows you to play a little more aggresively.

Greninja and Crucibelle are both pretty straightforward. They kill shit and they set up hazards and they both appreciate Pajantom's Spirit Shackle.

As far as changes to the team you could probably afford to go:
Revenankh: Glare > WoW
Greninja: Hydro Pump > Surf
Tomohawk: Rocky Helmet > Icium-Z
Tomohawk: Air Slash > Hurricane
Revenankh: optimised EV spread > random numbers

Team loses to SubCoil Zygarde but it's a CAP team so of course it does. Mega Sab Stall, probably a bunch of Magearna sets, pursuit users are really hard to deal with because pajantom loses vs them hard.

This team has seen success on the ladder as well as forum tournament play. I went from ~90 GXE to 95.6 (ik CAP ladder is bad but if you want to climb I'd say this team is pretty good at doing it). This team is also 7-3 in forum tournament play from the Playtest Tournament and Birkal's Tournament so it can hold its own in that regard too.

Granny Pie Check your rain team description; I'm seeing mentions of Tornadus-T when your Pokepaste clearly has Thundurus-T (and, to my knowledge, Tornadus-T can't learn Nasty Plot but Thundurus-T can, which is notable because you mention your Therian being able to learn Nasty Plot).

Import

This is a balance team revolving around Mega Latios and hazard stack and Wish support. The team can usually afford to keep Spikes and Stealth Rock on the field thanks to its solid offensive presence which discourages Pokemon like Tornadus-T and Tomohawk to Defog or Rapid Spin respectively. Jumbao is absolutely crucial for this team to keep Heatran and Zygarde healthy throughout the match to consistently pressure the opponent. Wish Jumbao + Zygarde can also manage to outlast CruciKrill if played well.

While all matchups are definitely playable there are a few Pokemon that can be seriously annoying for the team to deal with, such as Ferrothorn, Mega Mawile, SG Magearna, Syclant, Mega Medicham, and Tapu Lele.

Import

This team was built around Mega Alakazam + Magnezone which is a very solid core that I carried over from OU. The team is built very, very similar to the one above, and does a lot of the same stuff. Obviously, Magnezone traps the Steel-types that annoy Mega Alakazam, such as Celesteela and Ferrothorn, once these are trapped, Mega Alakazam can really go in on teams. Similarly to the other team, Jumbao is critical to this team to keep Zygarde and Heatran healthy to constantly pressure the opposition and to keep CruciKrill in check. However, unlike the other team, this team focuses a lot more on spreading paralysis with Zygarde to cripple common switch ins such as Jumbao and Mega Scizor.

Once again, most matchups are playable, but there's a few Pokemon such as Syclant, Volkraken, Chansey, and Tapu Lele which this team can experience trouble with.

Shoutouts to Drapionswing for building these teams with me, you're the best builder I know.

Last edited:

Dj Breloominati♬

born to play, forced to john
is a Top Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
Yo, did someone say "Rain Poll"? Time to break out that team that caused the meltdown in Frostbiyt's signature, fine-tuned over the span of a few months.

The Blue Team of Death (and Mollux)
https://pokepast.es/94502850a77efcb9

Pelipper sets rain., slow pivots, throws around burns, and blasts surprisingly powerful Hurricanes.
Tomohawk eats physical things for breakfast with priority Roost, Rocky Helmet, Haze, and 100% accurate Hurricanes.
Mollux eats special things for breakfast, recovers 18% HP per turn, but I've opted to run Thunder over Sludge Bomb, cuz it just hits what I want to better.
Naviathan and Tornadus-T are the two sweepers of the team, physical and special, respectively. Naviathan and Tornadus both run +Speed in order to outrun Jolly Colossoil, and KO it with Waterfall or Grass Knot. Typically, most Tornadus-T on rain like to run Double Dance, that being Nasty Plot and Agility. However, I always found myself clicking Agility much more often than I clicked Nasty Plot, and, wanting a way to consistently KO Colossoil, MegaPert, and Gastrodon, I run Grass Knot in its place.
Mega Swampert is the whole point of running a rain team, and carries exactly what you'd expect a MegaPert in the rain to run: Waterfall, Earthquake, Superpower, and Ice Punch, although I've been, uhhhhhhhhhhh... Frustrated by Ice Punch recently. As much as I hate to admit it, Ice Punch is MegaPert's only way with dealing with most common Dragon-types like Lati@s and Dragonite, and even hits a few Grass types really well, like Jumbao on the switch.

I've played with this team a lot, but I also upload a butt-ton of replays on Showdown, so I'mma make some more replays.
Watch this space! You never know when it might change!​
Just pointing out that you said tornadus-t for thundurus-t

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I thought I'd jump on the samples hype train too! So without further a do(is that even how you spell that phrase?) let's get it POPPIN.

Necturna Balance

Importable

This is one of my most successful balance builds this generation. It's built around outlasting an opponents to the point where Necturna can just come in and win the game. Latios provides a handy check to Heatran, so forgoing earthquake is basically just not doable on this team. Wish Clefable is used to set rocks and pass wishes to Heatran and Scarf Landorus-T, you can also pass wishes to Ferrothorn but it's not as necessary. Clefable also gives this team a handy physical wall outside of Scarf Lando. Ferrothorn is just for checking Greninja and Tapu Koko while also toxicing Tomohawk. This team is meant to be played defensively at the start of the game, and as your opponents team weakens you can then start applying full pressure.

Latios-Mega is meant to be pressuring Tomohawk and Heatran both of which give Necturna problems. It's a great Pokemon paired with Clefable, and allows this team to retain some sort of offensive pressure. Considering the only wincon on this team is Necturna, Latios really is important. Not to mention that it also checks Volkraken the CAP menace.

Clefable is the real defensive glue of the team, while it also supports its team, it walls off potent threats like Mega Medicham, Zygarde, and Specific Pajantom sets which would otherwise blow big holes through this team. Stealth Rocks are an important part of any teams composition, and Clefable provides that too.

Necturna is the big bad wincon of this team. Not much to really explain here, Ghostium Z lets you break through even the sturdiest of walls while substitute allows you to potentially get a free set up or (mainly) dodge Colossoil's Sucker Punch. You can set up Necturna on a great number of Pokemon that can be baited out by its team.

Landorus-T provides the team with some much needed speed, while also retaining the bulky attitude of the build. Capable of pressuring some threats to this team and being a last resort check to stuff like Medicham or Zygarde is really nice. Not to mention the utility of Defog, which prevents this team from getting eaten alive by hazards.

Ferrothorn not much to say here. Toxic is used over spikes to weaken Tomohawk and other fat defensive mons. This lets Ferrothorn be a real annoyance to the opponent and weakens teams slowly for Necturna in the future. This is also a decent fairy check, which my team was lacking. Knock Off as general utility to pester potential switchins.

Utility Heatran was my next pick as this mon can remove Tomohawk, as well as also spread status to fat walls. This team is also incredibly weak to Celesteela, so without Heatran I would just lose 6-0 at matchup.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-782016787
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-754741909

Someone remind me to save replays more often .-.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Team is out of CAPTT so might as well share a nasty squad I cooked up with my teammates:

Necturna Bulky Offense

Importable
I know there are a lot of Necturna teams going around and I wanted to add my own cause the mon is legit so good right now and even having multiple ones on display demonstrate it's influence on the meta. Anyways, Necturna + Heatran is an incredible offensive core as Tran can help trap / KO some of the most annoying threats for Necturna being mainly Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Clefable, and Tapu Bulu. In return, Necturna can handle most bulky waters and grounds that in return bust Heatran and in general clean up late game with the support of the other team members. Tornadus-T acts as deffoger and great pivot in general providing useful momentum for the team alongside checking threats such as non Flynium Landorus-T, Collosoil, Kartana, Argonaught, and most importantly opposing Necturna. Knock Off support is also really good when facing opposing defensive Heatrans, Ferrothorn, and defensive Pajantom. Mega Latios provides an additional check to Heatran, a great stop to Tomohawk and general a good wallbreaker to the team that can be quite hard to properly account for thanks to its coverage + good natural bulk. Threats such as Syclant, Ash Greninja, Mega Crucibelle, and Zygarde were still quite annoying for the team, so naturally Arghonaut was the best pick.Finally, Scarf Grenina was added as a general means of Speed control as the team was quite slow otherwise, while providing Spikes support also helps the team immensely especially when wanting to secure a sweep with Necturna. Threats such as offensive Jumbao and Volkraken are ones too look out for, but overall I feel the team synergies quite well.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-798869255
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-798610424
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-797850145

Thought I'ld drop some teams here as well

Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Balance
I basically explained everything in my RMT, so I'm just going to make a quick summary here. The team is focused around pivoting around with multple U-Turn users to give Tornadus-T and Heatran opportunities to nuke things, with Life Orb and a Z Crystal, respectively. HP Ground is on Torn-T as a tech to kill Mega Crucibelle, Krilowatt, and Heatran, traditional counters to Torn-T. Kitsunoh serves as the revenge killer for this team, with a glue of Colossoil + Tapu Fini + Wish support from Jumbao. This team is fun to use and relatively easy to use with all the pivot options in my opinion, which is something that I believe adds to the case that it is sample-worthy. (replays are in the rmt)

Necturna Webs
I thought we didn't have enough offense teams in the samples Here is just basically brainless standard webs Necturna + 5 wallbreakers. I have CruciKrill on this core to check a plethora of stuff with KyuB, Jumbao, and Kitsunoh serving as breakers (if CruciKrill didn't break enough by itself). Team strategy is pretty self-explanatory, lead Webs turn1 unless they have defensive Defog Lando-T or a Torn-T, in which case you lead Jumbao or Mega Crucibelle respectively. Then when Tomohawk tries to spin on you, you go to Kitsunoh and basically spam Banded Shadow Strike till you feel confident they're not trying to click Rapid Spin anymore and you go to Krilowatt/Jumbao. Threats would probably be scarf mons that are faster than KyuB, particular Scarf Lele, but it gets heavily pressured anyways. However, you definitely have to watch out for Pyroak, especially if it’s carrying Earth Power. The team is heavily focused on webs, and it basically has a bunch of offensive pressure to make Defogging away hazards as hellish a task as possible. HP Fire Krilowatt is so that I'm not too Ferrothorn weak. 36 spD EVs on Kitsunoh to avoid the 2HKO from Scarf Lele’s Psychic.

Last edited:
Sample teams have been updated! Some older teams have been removed and some of the new posts have been added.
And 24 hours of poll are done, here are the results: http://prntscr.com/kv7q3e and as the result, Handsome user Jho will have his rain team added to samples

https://pokepast.es/9f743a44434101f5
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-791493605
What happens when you combine Necturna with Rain? You sweep. Probably one of my favourite builds of this TT nothing better than some pure offense. As we know Necturna does not lose, especially when backed with memento support from Hawk. Jolly Swamp is to outspeed Nect whilst the rest of the team is built to have everything beat Tomohawk so Necturna can sweep late game. Pretty standard HO

Last edited:
Double post but oh well, keeping the likes.

Hello cappers, updating samples with an archetype that's coming back into the spotlight, you guessed it: STALL
One particular stall team has been putting in work in the most recent seasonal with many different people using it/variations of it and with the success it had, coupled with the lack of other stall teams present in the meta, I thought it fitting to be added here. Below are some replays of the Team in action in tour games

https://pokepast.es/0a183b849941594c
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-826808952 (Used by xavgb in Fall Seasonal 2 Finals)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-810695510 (Used by cbrevan in Fall Seasonal 2)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-809416131 (Used by Jordy in Fall Seasonal 2)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)