Done Gen 8 CAP Updates - CAP 14 - Mollux

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello! Welcome to the Generation 8 Mollux update thread. In this thread, we will be updating the movepool of one of our past CAP creations to better match the changes Gamefreak made in Generation 8.

A major change that occurred between this update cycle and the last was to significantly narrow the scope of CAP updates. Abilities, statlines, and typings will not be changed during the course of this update. Only changes to a CAP's movepool will be allowed. Additionally, full movepool changes are also off the table, as the Update Leaders will decide where to distribute moves for their respective Pokemon based off logic and the ICC.

Furthermore, we have defined what type of changes are allowed to movepools, as well as the type of moves up for discussion. Movepool changes will be broken down in two categories: removals and additions. Moves that are subject to removal are those that have been rendered unusable in Sword and Shield, such as Pursuit, and past generation tutors and Technical Machiness that are not available as a Generation 8 Technical Machines or Technical Records. Move that are subject to addition are moves introduced in Sword and Shield and moves that are new Generation 8 Technical Machines or Technical Records. Please make sure that any moves brought up in this thread fall under at least one of these categories.

We have also defined the following considerations for use in evaluating move removals and additions. The foremost consideration is that any change proposed fits both the flavor of the CAP in question and the flavor of Generation 8 as a whole. This means that all changes should follow trends and precedents seen in Generation 8. Intentional buffing and balancing of CAP Pokemon is not the intent of this update cycle. We also wish to avoid the creation of an unbalanced CAP Pokemon. Therefore, the second consideration for move changes is the competitive impact of said changes. Moves that are clearly too powerful will be banned from discussion by the Update Leader.

This update cycle also has a set schedule. For four weeks, each of the seven Update Leaders will post a discussion thread for a single CAP Pokemon. This thread will be used for the discussion of changes to a CAPs movepool as explained in this post. Each thread will have six days reserved for discussion on potential changes to a CAP's movepool. On the seventh day, the Update Leader will collect the ICC and determine what will be changed. Controversial changes will be subject to a poll.

For the discussion of Mollux, please refer to this post for the CAP's full movepool. Some other resources the CAP mods have compiled to make discussion easier is this list of cut moves that are distributed to our CAP pokemon, and this list of past TMs that were not included as Gen 8 TMs and TRs. Note that for the TM list, moves with * are those that have been cut entirely.

This thread will be locked until reachzero makes his leading post.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Generation 8 Update: Mollux

Mollux is a beautiful CAP with a marvelous design, and should have a reasonably smooth transition to Generation 8. Let's get to work.

Red means the move is not in SWSH
Blue means the move isn't a TM or TR in SWSH, so if we decide that it should be in Mollux's Generation 8 movepool, it must be moved in Level Up or Egg Moves (and thus requires discussion)
Green moves would be blue, except the move already appears in Level Up or Egg Moves

Bide
– Ember
4 – Acid
9 – Withdraw
12 – Acid Spray
17 – Confuse Ray
20 – Draining Kiss
25 – Clear Smog
28 – Lava Plume
33 – Moonlight
33 – Acid Armor
36 – Heat Wave
41 – Recover
44 – Toxic Spikes
49 – Inferno
52 – Gunk Shot
57 – Eruption
60 – Final Gambit
65 – Spotlight

Aqua Ring
Charm
Draining Kiss (Aromatisse, Slurpuff, Ribombee)
Fire Spin
Gastro Acid
Heal Bell
Heal Pulse
Helping Hand
Rapid Spin
Sleep Talk
Stealth Rock
Trick
Venom Drench (Skuntank)

TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM38 Fire Blast
TM42 Façade
TM43 Flame Charge
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM100 Confide

Gastro Acid (repeat from egg move)
Gunk Shot (repeat from lvl up)
Heal Bell (repeat from egg move)
Heat Wave (repeat from lvl up)
Helping Hand (repeat from egg move)
Shock Wave
Snore
Stealth Rock(repeat from egg move)
Trick (repeat from egg move)

Flash (Gen 5 / Gen 6 TM70)
Secret Power (ORAS TM94)

Mollux is fairly straightforward and not affected too badly by the transition to Generation 8, but there are some small issues to be worked out. Bide, Hidden Power, Frustration/Return, Flash and Secret Power are all gone, so Mollux loses those for sure. Some discussion points need to be addressed.

1. Toxic is probably the most important move for this update to decide on . It is no longer a TM, and many Pokemon that previously had Toxic lost it. Those that retained it are largely Poison types or those with solid flavor logic. Mollux is a Poison type. Should Toxic be lost, or retained as a Level Up or Egg move?

2. Flame Charge is a (very) marginally competitive move on Mollux, and no longer is a TM or TR. Is this move worth moving to a Level-Up move?

3. Shock Wave, Double Team, Explosion and Swagger are not competitive moves on Mollux, and no longer are TMs or TRs in Generation 8. are any of these moves worth moving to Mollux's Level-Up Moves or Egg Moves?

4) Are there any new TMs, TRs, or new moves introduced in SWSH that should be added to Mollux's movepool? Keep in mind that these should be flavor-oriented additions, and that some moves may be banned from discussion by the UL for being too powerful.

Last edited by a moderator:

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Swapping Toxic for Spotlight in the level-up list is a very simple fix, and given that this mon is overloaded with obvious poison imagery (learns tspikes, is a poison type, based off of a venomous snail) I think that Toxic, as a move, should be kept.

Shock Wave and Explosion both have enough justification through either flavor, or through related movepool to be kept; don't feel nearly as strongly about Double Team (this is not an agile mon) or Swagger (nor does it seem incredibly charismatic, generally associate that move flavourwise with dark types).

Of the new moves, the only one that feels even sorta justifiable (based on water/aquatic/goo theming) is Life Dew, which is strictly inferior to Recover, and therefore would probably be a decent addition.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
1. In agreement that Toxic absolutely makes sense for Mollux, and replacing Spotlight seems the easiest way to do this.

2. I personally think Flame charge isnt worth keeping considering that Rapid spin now boosts speed.

3. I personally don't think any of these are flavorful enough to keep.

4. Mystical Fire is a TR that has received wide distribution, so I would definitely suggest this. I also echo quz's suggestion of Life Dew.

As far as move pool bloat, I would probably recommend removing some Egg Moves like Stealth Rock and Venom Drench that now have associates TRs or TMs as Game freak has started this precedent, and Mollux's pool is rather large.

Also just a question, I was under the impression that Heal Bell was removed from all Pokemon except Celebi. Should this be one to consider removing too?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mollux's original concept was to make a Pokemon with "bad" typing into a good Pokemon *because* of that typing, so retaining Toxic as a poison staple is both conceptually and flavorful warranted. Additionally, Mollux actually would lose Heal Bell unless placed in Level-Up because only Celebi learns it naturally now. I don't think Heal Bell should be retained in that way, it isn't core to Mollux's identity or role. I've also seen way too many "Sassy Mollux" memes to not suggest adding Swagger back an an Egg Move. (Scraggy, Cufant as parents). Double Team, Explosion, and Shock Wave can be left behind.

Flavor additions:
Life Dew- A lot of Mollux's Egg moves are now TMs/TRs. Mollux also has a lot of non-attacking moves that are water-typed, and it's strictly inferior to Recover.
Metronome - Random addition.
Mystical Fire - Received decent distribution to Fire-type Pokemon, and as Mollux's Concept is type-oriented it makes sense.
Pin Missile - would be a good nod to how cone snails inject their harpoons into their prey. Worse than Leech Life. Zero competitive utility.
Play Rough - Mollux is in the Fairy Egg group and this has no competitive utility.
Self-Destruct - weaker Explosion
Swift - Shock Wave but Normal instead of Electric.

Last edited:
1. Toxic is probably the most important move for this update to decide on . It is no longer a TM, and many Pokemon that previously had Toxic lost it. Those that retained it are largely Poison types or those with solid flavor logic. Mollux is a Poison type. Should Toxic be lost, or retained as a Level Up or Egg move?
Keep it. All fully evolved Poison types in Sword and Shield retained Toxic somewhere in their movepool. Nothing more to say.
2. Flame Charge is a (very) marginally competitive move on Mollux, and no longer is a TM or TR. Is this move worth moving to a Level-Up move?
Rapid Spin already does what Flame Charge does, but with the enormous upside of also removing hazards. Flame Charge's advantages are very marginal (such as not being possible to be spinblocked, but at the cost of being blocked by Flash Fire). It COULD be kept, but there is barely any drawback to leaving it out, since if people want to boost Mollux's speed they can just use Rapid Spin.

3. Shock Wave, Double Team, Explosion and Swagger are not competitive moves on Mollux, and no longer are TMs or TRs in Generation 8. are any of these moves worth moving to Mollux's Level-Up Moves or Egg Moves?
Only Explosion seems like it has notable flavor justifications for being kept. Mollux doesn't learn Electric moves by level up and it's not a particularly agile or arrogant Pokémon.

4) Are there any new TMs, TRs, or new moves introduced in SWSH that should be added to Mollux's movepool? Keep in mind that these should be flavor-oriented additions, and that some moves may be banned from discussion by the UL for being too powerful.
Echoing the consensus on Mystical Fire and Life Dew, I'd like to also suggest various moves that Mollux wouldn't use and so would have no competitive implications, such as Flare Blitz (TR55), Play Rough (TR90), Venom Drench (TR91) and Fire Spin (TM13). Other suggestions that I think fit flavor-wise but might have potential out of scope applications are Weather Ball (TM 46) and Hex (TM77).

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
I think a lot of what I'd argue for Mollux falvor-wise has already been said by posters before me, so I'd agree with the addition of moves like Life Dew, Mystical Fire, Self-Destruct, Venom Drench, and Flare Blitz and Swift. Furthermore, I agree with quziel that Toxic should be added to Mollux's learnset, probably taking over the spot from Spotlight, though I'm hesitant to outright replace moves. I'd also argue that Flame charge isn't really necessary to keep around on Mollux from a competitive standpoint, but since we are moving more in the flavor direction, I'm more inclined to find a way to add it to its movepool, though I don't have a direct idea of where it could good. Lastly, I'm a little opposed to giving Mollux Pin Missile since I'm not seeing the flavor arguments for it (where are these pins coming from on Mollux? for example), and it's marginally possible Pin Missile might have a small niche as a lure in a competitive nature.

Don't get it twisted, Mollux is looking really good this gen and I'm really excited to see the updates we end up giving this thing.

I sincerely doubt that 45 base Attack average 42 BP Non STAB is going to be used as a lure. While the argument for flavour might be there, what match ups can come in here?

Even with Rocks up, it requires 5 Hits and Predicting the Switch to OHKO even Hoopa-U with Pin Missile (no investment).

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think a lot of what I'd argue for Mollux falvor-wise has already been said by posters before me, so I'd agree with the addition of moves like Life Dew, Mystical Fire, Self-Destruct, Venom Drench, and Flare Blitz and Swift. Furthermore, I agree with quziel that Toxic should be added to Mollux's learnset, probably taking over the spot from Spotlight, though I'm hesitant to outright replace moves. I'd also argue that Flame charge isn't really necessary to keep around on Mollux from a competitive standpoint, but since we are moving more in the flavor direction, I'm more inclined to find a way to add it to its movepool, though I don't have a direct idea of where it could good. Lastly, I'm a little opposed to giving Mollux Pin Missile since I'm not seeing the flavor arguments for it (where are these pins coming from on Mollux? for example), and it's marginally possible Pin Missile might have a small niche as a lure in a competitive nature.

Don't get it twisted, Mollux is looking really good this gen and I'm really excited to see the updates we end up giving this thing.
The flavor argument is that Mollux is a cone snail, and they shoot "harpoons" to stab their prey; snails in general have mouths full of spiky teeth as well. And like CharSiuEmboar said, with base 45 Attack, Pin Missile will not find its way onto Mollux sets any time soon.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I suppose a rundown of TMS/TRs like in the other threads as a reference/discussion focus piece would be a good idea:

TM07 Pin Missile (under discussion)
TM08 Hyper Beam
TM09 Giga Impact
TM11 Solar Beam
TM13 Fire Spin
TM14 Thunder Wave
TM17 Light Screen
TM20 Self-Destruct (under discussion)
TM21 Rest
TM23 Thief
TM24 Snore
TM25 Protect
TM29 Charm
TM31 Attract
TM33 Rain Dance
TM34 Sunny Day
TM38 Will-O-Wisp
TM39 Facade
TM40 Swift (under discussion)
TM41 Helping Hand
TM74 Venoshock
TM76 Round
TM87 Draining Kiss
TM92 Mystical Fire (under discussion)

TR02 Flamethrower
TR08 Thunderbolt
TR09 Thunder
TR14 Metronome (under discussion)
TR15 Fire Blast
TR18 Leech Life
TR20 Substitute
TR22 Sludge Bomb
TR26 Endure
TR27 Sleep Talk
TR36 Heat Wave
TR38 Trick
TR43 Overheat
TR49 Calm Mind
TR54 Toxic Spikes
TR55 Flare Blitz (under discussion)
TR73 Gunk Shot
TR78 Sludge Wave
TR90 Play Rough (under discussion)
TR91 Venom Drench (under discussion)

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I suppose a rundown of TMS/TRs like in the other threads as a reference/discussion focus piece would be a good idea:

TM07 Pin Missile (under discussion)
TM08 Hyper Beam
TM09 Giga Impact
TM11 Solar Beam
TM13 Fire Spin
TM14 Thunder Wave
TM17 Light Screen
TM20 Self-Destruct (under discussion)
TM21 Rest
TM23 Thief
TM24 Snore
TM25 Protect
TM29 Charm
TM31 Attract
TM33 Rain Dance
TM34 Sunny Day
TM38 Will-O-Wisp
TM39 Facade
TM40 Swift (under discussion)
TM41 Helping Hand
TM74 Venoshock
TM76 Round
TM87 Draining Kiss
TM92 Mystical Fire (under discussion)

TR02 Flamethrower
TR08 Thunderbolt
TR09 Thunder
TR14 Metronome (under discussion)
TR15 Fire Blast
TR18 Leech Life
TR20 Substitute
TR22 Sludge Bomb
TR26 Endure
TR27 Sleep Talk
TR36 Heat Wave
TR38 Trick
TR43 Overheat
TR49 Calm Mind
TR54 Toxic Spikes
TR55 Flare Blitz (under discussion)
TR65 Energy Ball
TR73 Gunk Shot
TR78 Sludge Wave
TR90 Play Rough (under discussion)
TR91 Venom Drench (under discussion)
Thanks for the summary Deck! Makes things very clear.

As far as current TRs go, I don't really see the flavour justification for play rough. Its not a move I think would be run, it's just one that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Pin Missile strikes me as similar, because even if based on a cone snail, Molluxes lava lamp doesn't really look like it could be removed, or shoot out Pins.

Everything else looks really smooth otherwise, as far as the under discussion moves go. Flare Blitz while competitive makes a lot of sense, the lava lamp makes flares possible, and Venom drench is pretty ubiquitous now.

Mollux's potential updated level up pool :) (Based off of how Game Freak updated movesets for their returning Pokémon)

L1: Life Dew, Gastro Acid, Acid, Ember
L9: Withdraw
L12: Acid Spray
L17: Confuse Ray
L20: Draining Kiss
L25: Clear Smog
L28: Lava Plume
L33: Moonlight, Acid Armour
L36: Heat Wave
L41: Recover
L44: Toxic Spikes
L49: Inferno
L52: Gunk Shot
L57: Final Gambit
L60: Toxic
L65: Eruption

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I think Toxic should replace Spotlight at Level 65. Some other similar Pokemon like Salazzle, Pyukumuku, and Qwilfish and Toxapex now learn it late in their Level Up Movepools.

Gastro Acid doesn't really make sense at Level 1 either, but that'd take some movepool shifting to slot it in.

If we want Mollux to have Pin Missile, it already has Leech Life, a wholly superior (and not useful) move.

Give it Metronome.
TR65 Energy Ball
Mollux doesn't have access to Energy Ball now, and this would count as a competitive addition, giving Mollux an easy way to bypass Seismitoad (aside from the generally superior Toxic, of course). Otherwise, DK's list seems fine.

I think Toxic should replace Spotlight at Level 65. Some other similar Pokemon like Salazzle, Pyukumuku, and Qwilfish and Toxapex now learn it late in their Level Up Movepools.

Gastro Acid doesn't really make sense at Level 1 either, but that'd take some movepool shifting to slot it in.

If we want Mollux to have Pin Missile, it already has Leech Life, a wholly superior (and not useful) move.

Give it Metronome.

Mollux doesn't have access to Energy Ball now, and this would count as a competitive addition, giving Mollux an easy way to bypass Seismitoad (aside from the generally superior Toxic, of course). Otherwise, DK's list seems fine.
I think Toxic fits better at Level 1

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I think Toxic fits better at Level 1 and regarding Gastro Acid, Seismitoad is a good example of having the move moved up to Level 1 from a much later level
The only Pokemon that learn Toxic at Level 1 are stone evolutions and Mandibuzz, and Mollux doesn't evolve. Most Pokemon learn Toxic by at least Level 30, but I think that learning it very late is best because the original movepool won't need to be rearranged to include it there. Plus, other similar Pokemon (Poison-types with Fire-type flavor or Water-type flavor [Dry Skin / Rain leans into the Water-type flavor for me]) learn it late. In fact, Salazzle doesn't learn it until Level 65, which is the exact level I'm suggesting it for Mollux.

Seismitoad didn't learn Gastro Acid in Generation 7 by level up, so I'm not sure what your point is.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
With the close of the thread quickly approaching, let's make some final decisions.

--Toxic will indeed be retained, with ICC being for it take Spotlight's place in Mollux's level-up moves.
--Life Dew presents no problems and will be added.
--Mystical Fire is not a substantial boost in power over Lava Plume and makes good flavor sense, and will be added.
--Self-Destruct, Gastro Acid and Swift will be added.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
IDK if the discussion is still happening for this, but seeing as it's unlocked, let me add one final thought on Mystical Fire: playing around in this meta more I'm not super thrilled with Mollux having it from a competitive stand point. I realize that I was originally all for giving it Mystical Fire, but the more I've played against Mollux annd used Mollux this gen, the more I'm thinking we may need to err on the side of caution. Currently Mollux is one of the better defensive mons in the tier mainly due to how tanky it can be on the special side. I realize that arguing based on current meta trends can be a little dangerous, but with the guaranteed SpA drop from Mystical Fire, Mollux can quickly become very difficult to knock out if it starts to spam Mystical Fire. I'm not sure if I'm over-exaggerating a little here, and frankly I'd like to maybe see it in action, but I'm erring on the side of being preventative with this thing.

Essentially, I just think we shouldn't just be immediately OKing Mystical Fire. I know this is going against what I originally posted, but a person can change their mind, so here we are.

Dragapult
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 186-219 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • -1 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 123-145 (31.2 - 36.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Clef with Psychic
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 159-187 (40.3 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • -1 252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 107-127 (27.1 - 32.2%) -- 57.6% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
    • (This one is notable since Mollux goes rom being 3HKO'd to MAYBE 4HKO'd)

OTR Hatterene
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Hatterene Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 304-359 (77.1 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • -1 252+ SpA Life Orb Hatterene Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 203-242 (51.5 - 61.4%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

NP Aurumoth
  • 252 SpA Aurumoth Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 192-228 (48.7 - 57.8%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • -1 252 SpA Aurumoth Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 128-152 (32.4 - 38.5%) -- 3.1% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

IDK if the discussion is still happening for this, but seeing as it's unlocked, let me add one final thought on Mystical Fire: playing around in this meta more I'm not super thrilled with Mollux having it from a competitive stand point. I realize that I was originally all for giving it Mystical Fire, but the more I've played against Mollux annd used Mollux this gen, the more I'm thinking we may need to err on the side of caution. Currently Mollux is one of the better defensive mons in the tier mainly due to how tanky it can be on the special side. I realize that arguing based on current meta trends can be a little dangerous, but with the guaranteed SpA drop from Mystical Fire, Mollux can quickly become very difficult to knock out if it starts to spam Mystical Fire. I'm not sure if I'm over-exaggerating a little here, and frankly I'd like to maybe see it in action, but I'm erring on the side of being preventative with this thing.

Essentially, I just think we shouldn't just be immediately OKing Mystical Fire. I know this is going against what I originally posted, but a person can change their mind, so here we are.

Dragapult
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 186-219 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • -1 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 123-145 (31.2 - 36.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Clef with Psychic
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 159-187 (40.3 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • -1 252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 107-127 (27.1 - 32.2%) -- 57.6% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
    • (This one is notable since Mollux goes rom being 3HKO'd to MAYBE 4HKO'd)

OTR Hatterene
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Hatterene Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 304-359 (77.1 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • -1 252+ SpA Life Orb Hatterene Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 203-242 (51.5 - 61.4%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

NP Aurumoth
  • 252 SpA Aurumoth Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 192-228 (48.7 - 57.8%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • -1 252 SpA Aurumoth Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 128-152 (32.4 - 38.5%) -- 3.1% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
I don’t think mystical fire will be an issue. You give up either power of eruption/fire blast or the 30% burn chance of lava plume. It would be viable, sure, but not broken. Of your calcs:
- Dragapult and Clefable lose to Mollux anyway because it just recovers on them
- Hatterene beats Mollux regardless of the SpAtk drop bc it 2HKOes at -1
- Aurumoth would be better off using NP than attacking at -1, so it really comes down to how fast Mollux KOes the moth, in which case a stronger fire move is probably better. Might matter though.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I understand that reachzero is currently MIA, which is understandable, irl stuff happens. But has no one been able to replace them since? Its been awhile.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yo, I'm going to finally close this thread.

Now that Home is out, any blue moves that are not being moved to egg moves or level up lists will be put into the transfer moves list.

About the additions reach mentioned in his last post, I'm going to overrule the decision to add Mytsical Fire. Over the two month period this thread has been open, Mollux has seen high usage as one of the premier Fairy checks in the metagame. Metagame trends have shown that not only is Mollux a very good mon in the current metagame, but that it also has the flexibility to run sets such as Calm Mind. Mytsical Fire would not only make Calm Mind sets impossible to break on the special side, it would also afford it more set up opportunities to set up. Seeing how Mystical Fire could be a viable alternative to Lava Plume and because it would affect different matchups than Lava Plume would, I'm banning it from Mollux's movepool.

Going over the other changes, Self Destruct and Swift will be added to Mollux's TM and TR lists. Life Dew will be added in place of Bide as it's a low level move on the Pokemon that learn it. Gastro Acid will take the place of Spotlight and Toxic will be added as a level 70 level up move.

Mollux's updated movepool is included below.
– Life Dew
– Ember
4 – Acid
9 – Withdraw
12 – Acid Spray
17 – Confuse Ray
20 – Draining Kiss
25 – Clear Smog
28 – Lava Plume
33 – Moonlight
33 – Acid Armor
36 – Heat Wave
41 – Recover
44 – Toxic Spikes
49 – Inferno
52 – Gunk Shot
57 – Eruption
60 – Final Gambit
65 – Gastro Acid
70 - Toxic
Aqua Ring (Vaporeon)
Heal Pulse (Ponyta-Galar)
Rapid Spin (Torkoal)
TM08 Hyper Beam
TM09 Giga Impact
TM11 Solar Beam
TM13 Fire Spin
TM14 Thunder Wave
TM17 Light Screen
TM20 Self-Destruct
TM21 Rest
TM23 Thief
TM24 Snore
TM25 Protect
TM29 Charm
TM31 Attract
TM33 Rain Dance
TM34 Sunny Day
TM38 Will-o-Wisp
TM39 Facade
TM40 Swift
TM41 Helping Hand
Tm74 Venoshock
TM76 Round
TM87 Draining Kiss
TR02 Flamethrower
TR08 Thunderbolt
TR09 Thunder
TR15 FTR18 Leech Life
TR20 Substitute
TR22 Sludge Bomb
TR27 Sleep Talk
TR36 Heat Wave
TR38 Trick
TR43 Overheat
TR49 Calm Mind
TR54 Toxic Spikes
TR73 Gunk Shot
TR76 Stealth Rock
TR78 Sludge Wave
TR91 Venom Drench
Heal Bell (Gen 7 Egg Move)
Double Team (Gen 7 TM 32)
Flame Charge (Gen 7 TM 43)
Explosion (Gen 7 TM 64)
Swagger (Gen 7 TM 87)
Confide (Gen 7 TM 100)
Shock Wave (Gen 7 Tutor)

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Code:
1 - Life Dew
1 - Ember
4 - Acid
9 - Withdraw
12 - Acid Spray
17 - Confuse Ray
20 - Draining Kiss
25 - Clear Smog
28 - Lava Plume
33 - Moonlight
33 - Acid Armor
36 - Heat Wave
41 - Recover
44 - Toxic Spikes
49 - Inferno
52 - Gunk Shot
57 - Eruption
60 - Final Gambit
65 - Gastro Acid
70 - Toxic
Egg - Aqua Ring
Egg - Heal Pulse
Egg - Rapid Spin
TM/TR - Hyper Beam
TM/TR - Giga Impact
TM/TR - Solar Beam
TM/TR - Fire Spin
TM/TR - Thunder Wave
TM/TR - Light Screen
TM/TR - Self-Destruct
TM/TR - Rest
TM/TR - Thief
TM/TR - Snore
TM/TR - Protect
TM/TR - Charm
TM/TR - Attract
TM/TR - Rain Dance
TM/TR - Sunny Day
TM/TR - Will-o-Wisp
TM/TR - Facade
TM/TR - Swift
TM/TR - Helping Hand
TM/TR - Venoshock
TM/TR - Round
TM/TR - Draining Kiss
TM/TR - Flamethrower
TM/TR - Thunderbolt
TM/TR - Thunder
TM/TR - Fire Blast
TM/TR - Leech Life
TM/TR - Substitute
TM/TR - Sludge Bomb
TM/TR - Sleep Talk
TM/TR - Heat Wave
TM/TR - Trick
TM/TR - Overheat
TM/TR - Calm Mind
TM/TR - Toxic Spikes
TM/TR - Gunk Shot
TM/TR - Stealth Rock
TM/TR - Sludge Wave
TM/TR - Venom Drench

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)