General popularity poll results thread

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
https://www.pokemonkorea.co.kr/pokemon_25th/menu118

The official Korean Pokemon site has been doing top 10 favorite Pokemon polls for each gen across a few months now. They've done Gens 1-6 as of now with Alola currently being a poll in progress. As for the rest, go to the above link and click the thumbnails with the region in question's 3 first form starters to see their top 10s
Comment on each 1st place of each generation so far. To tell in advance, Mega Evolution forms are counted in separate, but spoilers alert, none of the old-gen G-Max forms are in any top 10 in Kanto or Unova.
Mega Charizard X
Charizard is already a popular choice in Korea, but Mega Charizard X ends up being more beloved. Must be the blue fire and its fiercer design.

Chikorita
Now what a surprise! This is the only a first stage starter took the 1st place so far, with a great combination of cuteness and simplicity that gives it an edge over other first stage starters.

Swampert
Not Mega Swampert, regular Swampert. Mudkip is already a very memorable 1st state starter like Treeko and Torchic, but Swampert beating even Mega Rayquaza (whose 2nd place) in this Korean popularity poll is a feat not many saw coming.

Arceus
The supposed creator of the Pokémon universe, and the star of the upcoming Pokémon Legends: Arceus. I believe being an actual god gives it a lot of appeal to the Korean audience.

Reshiram
Reshiram is more popular in the Asian countries than Zekrom, who is more beloved in western countries. Being a blue-eyed serene dragon that spits nuclear blue flare gives it an edge over the other in Korea.

Side-Note: Meloetta gets 2nd place in this Korean poll.

Sylveon
Sylveon is a great introduction for the Fairy-typing, and alongside its cute design, the Korean audiencd wlecomed Sylveon for it.

Side-note: Similarly to the Japanese popularity poll, Dedenne is on the top 10 as well, likely due to its role in the anime.

If Generation 7 Korean poll is completed, give me a hesds-up, and I’ll comment on the next top winner.

Also, despite Mega Evolutions and Primal Reversions counted as the same as the original counterpart (i.e. the two Megas of Mewtwo, a Generation 1 Pokémon, are also counted as Generation 1), the same cannot be said with Regional Variants (i.e. all Alolan forms are counted as Generation 7 despite the original being from Generation 1), likely due to being effectively separate species.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I feel like I'm not only the only person who prefers Incineroar to Torracat, but also one of the only people who adores Incineroar's design. I think it looks cool and powerful, although I can understand where the dislike for it comes from...but come on it's a wrestling cat, it's cool and full of personality.

That said I don't mind Primarina being the highest rated on the polls. I also love Primarina and am fine with it getting more love.

Better it than Decidueye atleast. Decidueye for me is like the Greninja of Gen 7, even if I do like Decidueye a bit.

Also I'm very proud of my boy Dragonite getting number 10 on that reddit poll. I feel like 90% of the time I'm hearing about how much better Dragonair is compared to Nite so to see my homie rightfully secure his place in the top 10 makes me feel good...even if it did lose to the inferior (but still cool) orange dragon.

Although, I want to see if they'll do an updated version, maybe once Legends comes out. There are a lot of Gen 8 Pokemon I could see ranking very highly, such as Dragapult

I hadn't seen those korean polls before.
Koreans clearly have very good taste, they put Swirlix into their top 10 Kalos.

Kind of bugs me that all the laternate forms were counted separately. Personally I'd have lumped them together, but have a little thing where you could go "BUt I like this one more". Kyurem's forms split its vote, it likely could've been top 5

Also pretty interesting how neither Lunala or Solgaleo made top 10 Alola. Dialga/Palkia missed top 10 Sinnoh, too (meanwhile Giratina was ALSO on it twice), but Lunala & Solgaleo generally felt like more popular designs.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I got the Korea’s top 10 of Galar Pokémon. Here!
Crowned Zacian. It’s definitely more popular there than in overseas, where it is by far one of the most polarized Pokémon among Legendaries in terms of reception.

Cinderace and Dragapult getting the top 2 and 3 respectively isn’t surprising by a long shot, though let it be known that Cinderace, as a fully evolved starter, is one of the most polarizing in term of reception as well. Scorbunny managed to touch the tenth place. G-Max Cinderace also scores 4th, which is understandable since it is one of the more creative G-Max designs to say the least.

Morpeko managed to score 8th, likely due to association with Marnie.

Funnily enough, G-Max Charizard is in here (sixth) instead of in the Kanto top 10, unlike Mega Evolution where it is voted within the base Pokémon’s region (Mega Rayquaza in Hoenn, Mega Gengar in Kanto). This is likely due to how Dynamax as a whole, thus Gigantamax by extension, is so heavily relied and linked to Galar that making it worldwide doesn’t feels right. That’s for the better though, considering the shaky reception towards that as a whole.

We even got the top 10 for all regions’ own top 10! The winner will surprise you all, trust me. Here!
Number 1 is Chikorita. The basic starter beating out Greninja (2nd place), Swampert (3rd place), Arceus (4th) and Reshiram (5th).

Rest of runner ups are Sylveon (6th), Mega Rayquaza (7th), Mega Charizard X (8th), Mudkip (9th, with the Mudkip line getting the honor of having two of its members on absolute top 10 of Korea!) and Mimikyu (10th).

Hoenn alone had three Pokémon making to the top 10, which is big when you compare to Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and Alola that all had one Pokémon representing each in the top 10. Sadly, none of the Galar’s top 10 made it to the final top 10, not even Crowned Zacian.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Did you think I was satisfied just briefly scrolling through this? Not a chance motherfucker, not a chance.

Here's what I decided to spend this afternoon on.
NOW, you may say Platinum is the winner of "Favorite Game" BUT I argue that BW & B2W2 are two sides of the same coin thus should be counted together as a whole "Gen V", and therefore Gen V is the overall Favorite Game with an unreachable 16.9%.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NOW, you may say Platinum is the winner of "Favorite Game" BUT I argue that BW & B2W2 are two sides of the same coin thus should be counted together as a whole "Gen V", and therefore Gen V is the overall Favorite Game with an unreachable 16.9%.
Ok then I’m combining DP and Pt for the real win.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Joking aside, I do wonder why some people chose GS/RS/DP instead of Crystal/Emerald/Platinum.
I mean there wasn't a real "poll" going on here, per se. Everyone just answered general questions about "Favorite Pokemon Game" and vice versa and verbally stated their answer on Twitter.

And odds are many more people have probably played Gold and Silver, Ruby and Sapphire, or Diamond and Pearl than their respective third versions. After all, they sold a hell of a lot more than the third versions: the third versions tend to only appeal to a more core audience who wants the added content and features while the base versions always appeal to a wider crowd, and not everyone was likely compelled to buy the third version at the time of each generation. Some more casual Pokemon fans probably stuck to the base versions and consider those to be their favorites, even if the core audience who actually plays the third versions (or shall I say, "upper version"), is more vocal on the Internet.

------

Anyway, as for my assessment of these results (Yung Dramps, may I ask if you accounted for all of Quote Tweets and Replies? Because while they may not have changed much exclusively, the results could have been affected if these only account for replies or only for Quote Tweets and vice versa), let's run down.

I'm a little surprised a large portion of people involved who replied/QTed the Tweet are people who started with Gen 1. I assumed most of the people who started with Gen 1/2 don't play this series anymore and have detached themselves from the franchise, but that's an interesting phenomenon. In that case, Gen 1 still being as iconic as it is now is probably warranted ahaha. The Gen 4 crowd like myself take up a second place though, so that's interesting. Maybe the 3DS era kids (especially those who started with X and Y) will start taking over the internet more and more as time goes on though, when they become old enough to start dominating Twitter, perhaps?

Last game played is no surprise whatsoever, BDSP and SwSh take up the majority because they were the most recent so it's natural that the most recent (and current) games are the ones that most players last played through. It won't be long until Legends: Arceus basically wipes them out though ahaha.

It seems the "most played" honor within the top 3 goes to SwSh, HGSS, and XY. Very amusing and intriguing to see Sword and Shield being played that much by so many players, but X and Y is particularly interesting. I think the combination of X and Y having amazing online and multiplayer, having a bunch of nice features, and having nice replay value with great team variety for reruns of the game all likely contributed to X and Y being played as much as it was, it's arguably one of the nicest Pokemon games to replay or continue playing for any one of those reasons amongst players so that certainly puts it into light. Sword and Shield kinda surprises me though lmao, I do wonder why in that case. Though I do admit I've sunk more hours into Sword and Shield than I'd like to admit, the DLC probably contributed to its replay value in that case I imagine.

Platinum wins for best soundtrack let's fucking gooooo!!! Sinnoh's soundtrack is so, so good, best route themes, best battle themes, best everything! I know my Sinnoh bias is shining through here, but my god is Platinum's soundtrack amazing, and I love it so, so much. Giratina's Battle Theme is one of a kind, no cap.

And Platinum wins again for favorites hell yeah!

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Who were the other top 10? Just curious. Because it's only been a month since S/V's release and I'm suprised Rika's gotten that popular in a month
10. Tsurumaru Kuninaga (Sword Dance Online)
9. Hajime Tsukishima (Golden Kamuy)
8. Ogata Hyakunosuke (Also Golden Kamuy)
7. 豊前江 also from Sword Dance Online but the translation is funky (Toyomae E ) and google was just like ???? so whatever. here he is
6. Trafalgar Law (One Piece)
5. Arven (Scarlet/Violet) (Hey!)
4. Gojo Satoru (Jujutsu Kaisen)
3. Suguru Geto (Also Jujutsu Kaisen)
2. へし切長谷部 again from Sword Dance Online DeepL gave me Heshikiri Hasebe as a name
1. Rika, obviously

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)