Generic RU Team (plus 2 random NU mons because why not)

First RMT that's not for NU. Inspiration for some of the mons on this team go out to MrAldo, so kudos to him.

Scrafty @ Chople Berry
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick
- Iron Head

DD Scrafty has largely fallen out of favor as many consider it to be easily taken advantage of. However, it seemed like a cool mon to utilize, and this set in particular is unique. Enter Chople Berry. Unlike in tiers such as NU, Psychic-types generally run Fighting-type coverage. With Chople Berry I can easily take advantage of mons like SubCM Meloetta, opposing Scrafty, and a few others. Usually I just set up a DD and then use any move that's on this set. Iron Head is most notable because it lures in Fairy-types.

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Superpower
- Baton Pass

Durant is just a fantastic and surprisingly versatile mon in this meta, and it pairs exceptionally well with Scrafty. Scarf is mainly for speed control reasons as for the most part my team isn't very fast. That and unlike a lot of other Scarfers it can utilize Baton Pass, which is a guaranteed pivot no matter what. It's fast enough to run Adamant as well. (Since no one uses Scarf Jolt cause Manectric is now a thing; and Scarf Manetric I can just hit with X-Scissor)

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Taunt
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

An NU fave of mine that's still really fucking good in RU. Special Samurott's main niche is its wide coverage, particularly Grass Knot as it lures in and instantly kills Seismitoad (just like in older ORAS NU). Taunt takes advantage of slower mons with status moves, and makes them, well, less of a burden. Ice Beam hits Grass-types as well. (On a side note, I just sort of wonder why this isn't used instead of a mon like Clawitzer. For the most part Rott is just so much better, but I digress.)

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Thunderbolt

Eelektross may seem like a weird choice, and it is, but its a nice mon to just slap onto teams. Its the only Electric-type capable of beating Mega Steelix a grand majority of the time without being forced out, which is a massive boon on my behalf because Samurott is my only other switch-in to that thing. That, and well, it beats opposing Water-types without being weak to Ice like Venusaur. Beats Flying-types too.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Healing Wish

Another NU mon that's good in RU. It compresses both a Psychic-type attacker and a hazard setter in one. Healing Wish support is cool as well. Ice Beam is the coverage of choice to lure in pesky Flygons looking to get rid of my Rocks. Colbur Berry is mainly to combat Dark-type coverage. (Especially relevant because Gurdurr is now RU)

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Standard offensive Venusaur, with Sleep Powder. Sleep Powder cripples a lot of mons that are dentrimental to my team as a whole. To make up for the lack of Synthesis, Giga Drain is my main STAB move. I'm just not a fan of the fact that Venu's strongest and most commonly used STAB move (Leaf Storm) practically forces it out. And considering a lot of RU mons resist Grass that's not really a good thing.

So, tell me what I can do to improve my team, if anything. Likes replacements for sets or moves, or maybe new EV spreads.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey! I actually have a team really similar to this and I also really love LO Samurott in the current meta, it's just so fun to use now that people don't prepare for Sharpedo. Overall, the team is pretty good but it just has a really big weakness to Fletchinder. With rocks up, it's easy to weaken Eel through repeated switches enough to get it to around 50%, and after that point Fletchinder can sweep the entire team with a SD, which it can set up once on unboosted scrafty, Durant, and somewhat Mesprit. Your team is also weak to other flying types, like LO Sigilyph, fire types like Delphox and Houndoom, along with having a slight weakness to scarf Tyrantrum.
  • Diancie > Mesprit gives you a nice Pokemon that deals with Fletchinder, Fire types, and Sigilyph and it also gives you access to Heal Bell, which gives you the option of changing Scrafty to Moxie or Intimidate (Shed Skin is still a good choice, up to you). You could also use Earth Power over Heal Bell to chip away at Steelix. The presence of Diancie also prevents Tyrantrum from clicking Outrage to 2hko your only Rock resist of Scrafty, and it can check it if need be.
  • Adding Diancie makes you even more weak to Steel Pokemon like Steelix and Durant, right now your main method of dealing with Durant seems to be checking it with your own Durant. I think that Sub WoW Rotom > Eelektross helps with both of these weaknesses as it dodges the 2hko on both Pokemon and can force them out for fear of WoW and can set up a sub. It can also spread burns to help your Scrafty set up later on in the game. It also makes your team faster, as with Eelektross your team apart from Durant is quite slow.

Rotom @ Leftovers
EVs: 124 HP / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Discharge
- Hex

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell / Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm

That's all I have, hope I helped! Good luck!

Cool team!

The only other change I could suggest that hasn't already been covered is switching to poison jab over iron head on scrafty. Iron head hits fairies super effectively, but is redundant coverage for the other types it hits super effectively (which HJK already hits). Jab has the benefit of killing fairies & hitting bulky grass types such as Tangrowth/Virizon hard.

Cool team!

The only other change I could suggest that hasn't already been covered is switching to poison jab over iron head on scrafty. Iron head hits fairies super effectively, but is redundant coverage for the other types it hits super effectively (which HJK already hits). Jab has the benefit of killing fairies & hitting bulky grass types such as Tangrowth/Virizon hard.
Iron Head is required for Scrafty to break past Diancie as High Jump Kick fails to OHKO at +1; High Jump Kick already does higher damage than Poison Jab against Tangrowth and Virizion (80x2 < 130x1.5). Keeping Iron Head is fine.

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there nice team, but it looks to have many problems againist some offensive threats like LO Durant, Fletch and Cham. My suggestions are to change Samurott for Seismitoad and Spiritomb for Mesprit.

Samurott is a pretty good pokemon for your team as it can take on stall quite easily thanks to his rough power and access to Taunt, but I really think you need a soft check to Ant and Fletch, and Seismi can work well. The set I suggest you is an offensive variant with a spread of 164 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA / 68 Spe. The given EVs spread will allow Seismi to take a +1 Lum Durant X-Scissor and a +2 Fletch Acro.

Now you have a new Stealth Rock setter (Seismi) so you can remove Mesprit for Spiritomb. The set I suggest you is a Choice Band set, which fits well onto your team since it has an offensive playstyle. Spiritomb will still check Psychic types, and it is also able to trap them with Pursuit. It can also act as a fight check and can cripple physical walls with Trick.
Seismitoad @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 164 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot / Sludge Bomb

Spiritomb @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak
- Trick
Also a last change you might do is Manectric over Eelektross. This isn't an obbligatory change, but I feel it can make your team more offensive because of Mane higher speed. Manectric can still beat Steelix if you play well on the switches.
Manectric @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I hope this was useful :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)