move 4: Icy Wind / Thunderbolt / Trick
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Cursed Body
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Shadow Ball is the main attraction on this set, hitting the vast majority of the tier for at least neutral and is ideal for revenge kills.
* Sludge Wave is a more powerful option that also hammers most Fairy-types for super effective damage.
* Focus Blast is a can be used to neuter Bisharp and Tyranitar if they switch-in. It also deals more damage to Ferrothorn, Heatran and Excadrill than the other moves.
* Icy Wind is reserved for Ground or Dragon Types like Landorus-T, Salamence and Garchomp and lowers the speed of Dragon Dance users such as Mega Charizard X and Gyarados.
* Trick can be used to cripple defensive checks to Gengar on balanced or stall teams.Prime targets are Chanesy,Mantine and Amoonguss.
* Thunderbolt is another possible choice, it revenge kills Gyarados at +1 and can also score major damage on some defensive threats like Toxapex and Celesteela as a bonus.

Set Details
========

* The draw of this set is Gengars great speed tier when equipped with a Choice Scarf and its solid special attack, allowing it to revenge kill common sweepers and other Choice Scarf users aswell as acting as a possible cleaner.
* Full investment Special Attack is required to get the most out of Gengars good Offensive movepool.
* Timid nature with 252 Speed EVs is an obvious choice.
* Choice Scarf turns Gengar into a capable revenge killer, outpacing every Pokemon at +0 and even a good chunk of the metagame at +1.
* However some attackers like Choice Scarf Pheromasa and Scolipede at +1 still outspeed Choice Scarf Gengar and can force it out.

Usage Tips
========

* This set aims to act as an revenge killer for dangerous set up sweepers like Gyarados and Salamence or fast all-out attackers, particularly Mega-Metagross, Pheromosa and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele.
* Without a boosting item Gengar lacks damage output, it needs prior damage on some bulkier threats like Charizard-X, Porygon-Z and Volcarona to score the KO.
* Shadow Ball is in most cases the safest option since Normal-types and Pursuit users are rather uncommon. Its also a good choice for cleaning teams up since it hits almost anything for at least neutral damage.
* In some cases you can gamble for SpD drops with Shadow Ball on Pokemon who have reliable recovery in order to overhelm them, especially if they have no defensive answers to Gengar otherwise.
* Sludge Wave is a more powerful option, but should be used more cautiously since Steel Types tend to be extremly common which can result into a free switch in.
* Focus Blast is reserved for the moment you predict a Tyrranitar or Bisharp switch in or if you want to put a huge dent in Ferrothorn or other bulky Steel Types
* In some cases you can use your Fighting and Normal immunities to regain momentum through offensive switch-ins.
* Gengars presence alone will often daunt the enemy from using Fighting moves or Rapid Spin, try to use this to your advantage.
* Do not trick you Scarf of Gengar if the opponent has a faster threat like Scarf Garchomp or Pheromasa present, you might need the Scarf for speed control later in the game
*In some cases you can try to gamble via Cursed Body to halt sweepers who could otherwise tear through your team by temporarily disabling a critical STAB or coverage move.
Note that the chance to trigger Cursed Body is only 30% so this method is an unreliable way to stop ongoing sweeps.

Team Options
========

* Entry Hazard setters are extremly helpful, since Stealth Rock and Spikes will make Gengars job much easier and they can capitalize on switches that Gengars enforces. Greninja, Garchomp and Landorus are great offensive hazard setters and have a good synergy with Gengar.
* Wallbreakers can punch holes in the opposing team composition which Gengar can capitalize on. They can also help wear down checks like AV Magearna, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn and AV Muk. Mega Charizard-Y, Nidoking, Kyurem-B and Keldeo are good choices for opening gaps in the enemy Team.
* Knock Off users are also a good option to neuter some otherwise troublesome Assault Vest users and they can also remove Leftovers on other defensive Pokemon. Weavile, Bisharp, Tangrowth and Landorus-T are common Knock Off users.
* Slow U-Turn or Volt Switch enable Gengar to come in safely and allow it to spam Shadow Ball or force another switch. Good examples are Scizor, Landorus-T, Tapu Koko and Magearna.
* Pokemon that are able to deal with Dark-types that switch into Gengar are appreciated. Magearna, Buzzwole, Tapu Fini, and defensive more defensive oriented variants of Mega Scizor are all solid choices here.
* Other special attackers who have the similar checks to Gengar can help to form a offensive core that aims to wear dowm their common check and counters .Protean Greninja, Hoopa-U, Tornadus-T and Latios can fulfill the second role in this tandem.
* Tapu Leles Psychic Terrain will alo block priority moves aimed at Gengar.
* Dugtrio can remove Tyranitar, Muk, Bisharp, Magearna and other potential switch-ins which can help Gengar to put on pressure.

Last edited:
In my opinion you should slash Thunderbolt on the last moveslot or at least mention it in Set Details. It offers the same kind-of utility that Trick does vs Stall, being able to break through Toxapex/Skarm/Mantine.

Tapu Lele deserves a mention in Team Options for it's ability to stop priority for a few turns to make up for Gengar's horrendous bulk.

Strong wallbreakers also make for good partners as they appreciate Gengar's ability to clean late-game, particularly the ones which can deal with the Dark-types which Gengar hates, such as Specs Magearna.

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to see arguments as to why one should run Choice Scarf Gengar.
So in set details:
The reasons are outspeeding and having the coverage moves to OHKO or revenge other popular scarfers if they are sufficiently weakened, for example Garchomp, Tapu Lele, Landorus, Jirachi, or Excadrill to name a few.

In usage tips:

Shadow Ball is ususally the safe option for attacking if Gengar is in the battle, Sludge Wave should be used carefully as it can sap your momentum if the opponent switches into their Steel-type.
However, Shadow Ball should be used carefully too if the opponent has a Dark-type which can pursuit Gengar.
All in all the momentum losing issue should be discussed more.
You could also mention that you can fish for SpD drops spamming Shadow Ball against foes that repeatedly recover, for example Mega Venusaur and Toxapex, because there is non recoil and Shadow Ball has high PP, that way you can try to stall some of their recovery PP.
Gengar can also be played aggressively in some scenarios, e.g. switching into Pheromosa's HJK or blocking Rapid Spin and immediatly threatening the foe out.

In team options:
You talk about "checks and counters", but I'd say you need to mention the most common ones.
Also, Knock Off is appreciated to get rid of Assault Vests for example on Magearna and Tangrowth, as both are hard to damage. AV Alolan Muk also fully checks Gengar and can pursuit it.
As for partners, Dugtrio traps and gets the necessary damage on pretty much all relevant offensive Dark-types, that way Gengar has an easier time sweeping.

Last edited:
AMcheck

This is a very well written analysis, but I do have some minor complaints.

Moves

Icy Wind is slashed on the set, but here you mention HP Ice instead. Please fix this.

Set Details

Give examples of what it can't outspeed at +1.

Usage Tips

You misspelled "Choice Scarf" and "Shadow Ball" here.

There is no hyphen in "Tapu Lele".

Team Options

Buzzwole is misspelled.

Mention how Tapu Lele can set up Psychic Terrain, which protects Gengar from Sucker Punch and other priority moves.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, good work so far, just a few quick additions:

-"Thunderbolt is another possible choice to deal with Toxapex and Mantine"

Make sure to add Gyarados to that list as well.

-"This set aims to act as an revenge killer for dangerous set up sweepers like Charizard-X and Salamence or fast all-out attackers, particularly Mega-Metagross, Choice Scarf
Tapu Lele and Pheromosa"

More of a GP thing, but just reword that last part to "Mega Metagross, Pheromosa, and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele" since your wording makes it seem like you are referring to Scarf Lele AND Pheromosa.

And in general, I'd also love to see more examples listed for specific sections such as these:

-"Trick can be used to cripple defensive cheks to Gengar on balanced or stall teams."

Make sure to give a few examples of what kind of defensive answers you would use Trick on such as Chansey, for instance. Also in Usage Tips, just mention the matchups that you would use Trick in; as in, you probably would not want to Trick your Scarf away when there's a Salamence or Scarf Chomp on the opposing team that you would no longer be able to revenge. I can't really think of the exact wording atm, but hopefully you get what I mean.

-"*Wallbreakers can punch holes in the opposing team composition which Gengar can capitalize on. They can also help wear down checks like AV Magearna, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn and AV Muk."

Make sure to list specific wallbreakers that can help eliminate these threats and wear them down. For example, I like pairing something like Specs Latios with Scarf Gar since it helps weaken just about all of these so that Gengar has a better chance to clean endgame. That's the main one I've used with Scarf Gar, but just list some more wallbreakers that get the job done too.

Just my suggestions from skimming through this, good stuff :)

I think Thunderbolt might warrant a slash since Mantine hard walls you otherwise (Toxapex too), as others have mentioned. Of course, Trick cripples them, so that's a big plus given that they're going to switch in freely otherwise.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
- Hidden Power Ice in Moves. Stress that it's more useful in the event you have a better Zard X check. After all HP Ice does secure better KOes:

252 SpA Gengar Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 276-328 (77.3 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gengar Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 300-356 (84 - 99.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

You also have better KO ranges against Salamence:

252 SpA Gengar Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 292-344 (87.9 - 103.6%)
252 SpA Gengar Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 316-376 (95.1 - 113.2%)

and Landorus-T:

252 SpA Gengar Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 292-344 (91.2 - 107.5%)
252 SpA Gengar Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 316-376 (98.7 - 117.5%)

252 SpA Gengar Icy Wind vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 292-344 (76.4 - 90%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gengar Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 316-372 (82.7 - 97.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

For Thunderbolt - stress that it is mainly used to beat Gyarados more (especially to revenge kill a +1). It's fine to mention Mantine and, lesser extent, Toxapex, but it should be stressed that THunderbolt is more for Gyarados.

No Destiny Bond. Destiny Bond leaves Gengar super vulnerable.

Set should be:

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Sludge Wave
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Trick / Icy Wind / Thunderbolt
* However some attackers like Choice Scarf Pheromasa, Scolipede at +1 and Rock polish Mega Metagross.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
* This set aims to act as an revenge killer for dangerous set up sweepers like Charizard-X and Salamence or fast all-out attackers, particularly Mega-Metagross, Pheromosa and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele.
I feel that you need to specify more about this.

So obviously Gengar revenge kills some of these threats; however, Zard X in particular can live Scarf Gengar if it is fairly healthy:

252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Charizard X: 150-177 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So in this scenario you should mention "weakened" Zard X. The Salamence is a good point for the most part as is BP-less Metagross, Specs Pheromosa, and Scarf Lele.
* Sludge Wave should be used more selectively since Steel Types tend to be extremly common.A free switch in
? Expand please.
* If you manage to bring Gengar in tanks to s slow Volt Switch or U-Turn, spam Shadow Ball right away to punch holes into offensive oriented teams.
This should definitely be reworded. I honestly could draw two scenarios from the blunder of the sentence:

- Are you talking about when Gengar comes in thanks to a slow Volt Switch or U-turn, or
- Are you talking about if a Pokemon, say Rotom-W, Volt Switches on Gengar?

I wouldn't say punch holes either. It's Scarf Gengar. It isn't bad, but it shouldn't really be punching holes unless the opponent's team is really fucking frail.
* Focus Blast is also an option in this scenario if Dark-types like Bisharp or Tyranitar are in the enemy team.
This was in Set Details. I think it is better to word it as "Focus Blast should be used in the event of predicting a Bisharp or Tyranitar switch-in."
* Entry Hazard setters are extremly helpful, since Stealth Rock and Spikes will make Gengars job much easier and they can capitalize on switches that Gengars enforces
Examples?
* Wallbreakers can punch holes in the opposing team composition which Gengar can capitalize on. They can also help wear down checks like AV Magearna, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn and AV Muk.Hoopa-U,Latios,Nidoking and Keldeo are good choices for wearing down the enemy Team.
There's better wallbreakers to mention. For one, Latios and Hoopa-U don't really threaten AV Magearna. Unless, of course, you're using something like Choice Band Fire Punch. Nidoking is a decent example at least. I would recommend thinking of other wallbreakers that break these mons a lot better.
* Pokemon that are able to deal with Dark-types that switch into Gengar are appreciated. Magearna,Buzzwole,Tapu Fini,Azumarill and Mega Scizor are all solid choices here
No Azumarill.

Also I'm mildly sure about mentioning Mega Scizor. Mega Scizor checks Dark-types better than counters honestly since a lot of Dark-types have some nasty moves that Mega Scizor hates switching into (Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge, etc).

1/3

So in this scenario you should mention "weakened" Zard X. The Salamence is a good point for the most part as is BP-less Metagross, Specs Pheromosa, and Scarf Lele.
Added an line for threats that require prior damage to be KOed.( CharX,Volc and Thunderbolt P-Z)
This should definitely be reworded. I honestly could draw two scenarios from the blunder of the sentence:

- Are you talking about when Gengar comes in thanks to a slow Volt Switch or U-turn, or
- Are you talking about if a Pokemon, say Rotom-W, Volt Switches on Gengar?

I wouldn't say punch holes either. It's Scarf Gengar. It isn't bad, but it shouldn't really be punching holes unless the opponent's team is really fucking frail.
I wanted to say that a free switch in from a teammates Volt Switch or U-Turn gives Gengar good opportunity to put on pressure or chip away HP from the opposing team.Removed it because most wallbreakers would do more work here anyways and its kind ov obvious .
? Expand please.
Im illiterate.
"Sludge Wave should be used more cautiously since Steel Types tend to be extremly common which can result into a free switch in."
People know why thats bad so i dont go further into that
This was in Set Details. I think it is better to word it as "Focus Blast should be used in the event of predicting a Bisharp or Tyranitar switch-in."
"Focus Blast is reserved for the moment you predict a Tyrranitar or Bisharp switch in or if you want to score major damage on Ferrothorn or other bulky Steel Types"
* Entry Hazard setters are extremly helpful, since Stealth Rock and Spikes will make Gengars job much easier and they can capitalize on switches that Gengars enforces
Examples?
Greninja,Landorus-T and Garchomp.
There's better wallbreakers to mention. For one, Latios and Hoopa-U don't really threaten AV Magearna. Unless, of course, you're using something like Choice Band Fire Punch. Nidoking is a decent example at least. I would recommend thinking of other wallbreakers that break these mons a lot better.
I had a separate line for offensive duos who have common answers and they aim to overhelm said answers overtime. Ive put Latios Hoopa-U in there and replaced them with KyuB and CharY.
Also I'm mildly sure about mentioning Mega Scizor. Mega Scizor checks Dark-types better than counters honestly since a lot of Dark-types have some nasty moves that Mega Scizor hates switching into (Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge, etc).
Emphasis on defensive oriented variants.

I hope this is now somewhat better.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
* The draw of this set is Gengars amazing speed tier when equipped with a Choice Scarf and its potent special attack allowing it to practically revenge kill every notable sweeper in the tier and clean weakened teams thanks to its reliable Ghost STAB.
I feel like this is kinda over exaggerated. Like yeah, this set is a really good revenge killer, but without prior damage it can't really revenge Zard-X, nor Volc at all tbh. I'd just mention the relevant sweepers it revenges, mainly Gyarados, Mence, and other Scarfers.

Other than that Colonel M worked out the rest of the kinks. Nice work.

QC 2/3

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In the Usage Tips section, you should mention that Cursed Body is a (albeit unreliable) way of stopping certain Pokemon in their tracks. There was that one SPL match where a player's Cursed Body Gengar cheesed a game by disabling their opponent's Pheromosa...

3/3

In the Usage Tips section, you should mention that Cursed Body is a (albeit unreliable) way of stopping certain Pokemon in their tracks. There was that one SPL match where a player's Cursed Body Gengar cheesed a game by disabling their opponent's Pheromosa...

3/3
Added, migt be a bit poorly worded.

This is now ready for GP.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
* In some cases you can use your Fighting and Normal immunities to regain momentum through offensive switch-ins.

Is there an easy way to describe a specific case? I don't actually know when you can use the immunities (are there Pokémon you don't want to switch in against? Etc.). Also, it is useful to illustrate what exactly regaining momentum is.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
The most notable examples here would basically be Pheromosa and Zygarde locked into ESpeed, but even in the case of Phero, you still have to watch out for Ice Beam and ESPECIALLY Quiver Dance sets, as if Phero sets up a QD:

252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. +1 0 HP / 32 SpD Pheromosa: 207-244 (73.1 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 224+ SpA Pheromosa Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 209-247 (80 - 94.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Without the 32 EVs in Spdef, its a roll in Phero's favor to live Sludge Wave after rocks, and Pheromosa goes and outspeeds you then. Other things with Fighting/Normal coverage, I would only save trying to actively switch into predicting them for emergency situations, as most if the time, its not worth trying to switch into a predicted Keldeo's Secret Sword, or a DD Zygarde that you predict to use Espeed, just to give some shitty examples. Like sure you can do it, but its up to the player to determine if the risk of switching into Keld's Water coverage is worth the momentum you get from switching into Secret Sword successfully. I would probably just reword it, as the main thing I would take advantage of with its Ghost typing is the ability to block Rapid Spin from Phero, although I can't think right now how to word it.

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That still could be helpful. Like "For example, be careful of switching into a predicted Keldeo's Secret Sword if you still need Gengar to outspeed threats, since Gengar will fall to Keldeo's Water coverage." Examples don't necessarily need to explain everything, they just need to give readers a starting point and provide clear reasoning so they can hopefully recognize a pattern after playing a bit.

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Sludge Wave
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Icy Wind / Thunderbolt / Trick
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Cursed Body
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Shadow Ball is the main attraction on this set, hitting the vast majority of the tier for at least neutral damage,(AC) and it is ideal for revenge kills.
* Sludge Wave is a more powerful option that also hammers most Fairy-types for super effective damage.
* Focus Blast is a can be used to neuter Bisharp and Tyranitar if they switch-in switch in. It also deals more damage to Ferrothorn, Heatran,(AC) and Excadrill than the other moves Gengar has.
* Icy Wind is reserved for Ground-(AH) or and Dragon-(AH)types like Landorus-T, Salamence,(AC) and Garchomp,(AC) and it lowers the Speed of Dragon Dance users such as Mega Charizard X and Gyarados.
* Trick can be used to cripple defensive checks to Gengar on balanced or and stall teams. (add space) Prime targets are Chanesy, (add space) Mantine,(AC) and Amoonguss.
* Thunderbolt is another possible choice,(RC);(add semicolon) it revenge kills Gyarados at +1 and can also score major damage on some defensive threats like Toxapex and Celesteela as a bonus.

Set Details
========

* The draw of this set is Gengars Gengar's great Speed tier when equipped with a Choice Scarf and its solid Special Attack, allowing it to revenge kill common sweepers and other Choice Scarf users aswell as well as acting as a possible cleaner.
* Full investment Special Attack is required to get the most out of Gengars Gengar's good offensive movepool.
* A Timid nature with 252 Speed EVs is an obvious choice allows Gengar to be as fast as possible.
* Choice Scarf turns Gengar into a capable revenge killer, outpacing every unboosted Pokemon at +0 and even a good chunk of the metagame at +1.
* However,(AC) some attackers like Choice Scarf Pheromasa and Scolipede at +1 still outspeed Choice Scarf Gengar and can force it out.

Usage Tips
========

* This set aims to act as an revenge killer for against dangerous set up setup sweepers like Gyarados and Salamence or as well as fast all-out attackers, particularly Mega-(RH)Metagross, Pheromosa,(AC) and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele.
* Without a boosting item,(AC) Gengar lacks damage output,(RC);(add semicolon) it needs prior damage on some bulkier threats like Charizard-X Mega Charizard X, Porygon-Z,(AC) and Volcarona to score the KO.
* Shadow Ball is,(AC) in most cases,(AC) the safest option,(AC) since Normal-types and Pursuit users are rather uncommon. Its It's also a good choice for cleaning teams up,(AC) since it hits almost anything for at least neutral damage.
* In some cases,(AC) you can gamble for SpD Special Defense drops with Shadow Ball on Pokemon who have reliable recovery in order to overhelm them, especially if they have no defensive answers to Gengar otherwise.
* Sludge Wave is a more powerful option,(RC) but should be used more cautiously,(AC) since Steel Types tend to be extremely common,(AC) which can result into a free switch in.
* Focus Blast is reserved for the moment you predict a Tyrranitar Tyranitar or Bisharp switch in or if you want to put a huge dent in Ferrothorn or other bulky Steel-(AH)types
* In some cases,(AC) you can use your Fighting and Normal immunities to regain momentum through offensive switch-ins switches.
* Gengars Gengar's presence alone will often daunt the enemy from using Fighting moves or and Rapid Spin, so try to use this to your advantage.
* Do not trick you Scarf of let Gengar use Trick to give its Choice Scarf away if the opponent has a faster threat like Choice Scarf Garchomp or Pheromosa (if this is regular Pheromosa then put it in front of Garchomp; if it is Scarf Pheromosa then keep it here) present, as Gengar you might need the Choice Scarf for Speed control later in the game
* (add space) In some cases,(AC) you can try to gamble via Cursed Body to halt sweepers who could otherwise tear through your team by temporarily disabling a critical STAB or coverage move.
* Note that the chance to trigger Cursed Body is only 30%,(AC) so this method is an unreliable way to stop ongoing sweeps.

Team Options
========

* Entry hazard setters are extremely helpful, since Stealth Rock and Spikes will make Gengars Gengar's job much easier,(AC) and they can allow Gengar to capitalize on switches that Gengars it enforces. Greninja, Garchomp,(AC) and Landorus Landorus-T are great offensive hazard setters and have a good synergy with Gengar.
* Wallbreakers like Mega Charizard Y,(AC) Nidoking,(AC) Kyurem-B,(AC) and Keldeo can punch holes in the opposing team,(AC) composition which Gengar can capitalize on. They can also help wear down checks like AV Assault Vest Magearna, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn,(AC) and AV Assault Vest Muk. Mega Charizard-Y, Nidoking, Kyurem-B and Keldeo are good choices for opening gaps in the enemy Team. (flows better)
* Knock Off users such as Weavile,(AC) Bisharp,(AC) Tangrowth,(AC) and Landorus-T are also a good options to neuter some otherwise troublesome Assault Vest users,(AC) and they can also remove Leftovers on other defensive Pokemon. Weavile, Bisharp, Tangrowth and Landorus-T are common Knock Off users.
* Slow U-turn or and Volt Switch users enable Gengar to come in safely,(AC) allowing and allow it to spam Shadow Ball or force another switch. Good examples are Mega Scizor, Landorus-T, Tapu Koko,(AC) and Magearna.
* Pokemon that are able to deal with Dark-types that switch into Gengar are appreciated. Magearna, Buzzwole, Tapu Fini, and defensive more defensive oriented variants of Mega Scizor are all solid choices here.
* Other special attackers who have the similar checks to Gengar can help to form a offensive core that aims to wear down their common checks and counters.(period) Protean .Protean Greninja, Hoopa-U, Tornadus-T,(AC) and Latios can fulfill the second role in this tandem.
* Tapu Leles Lele's Psychic Terrain will alo block priority moves aimed at Gengar.
* Dugtrio can remove Tyranitar, Muk, Bisharp, Magearna,(AC) and other potential Gengar switch-ins,(AC) which can help Gengar to put on pressure.
GP 1/1

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)